Whats the worst you have been jumpacared in TLD?

Skelegutplays

Not exactly a jump "scare" but a very unexpected "DEAR SWEET JESUS"-moment was when I set out to get rid of the bear that was pestering me at the Coastal Townsite, so I set up behind one of the houses there while it was roaming around and smacked a .303 right in its face. I had what I thought to be a great escape plan, since I'm convinced the bear will surely try to take the shortest route immediately available to where it's seen me last when it comes to retaliate:

d6783bfb8b81d5ac6f55b7690eef2b73-full.pn

And then I got bamboozled:

c1317c6650b99a5d31ae3d50f7123c4c-full.pn

Just as I turn the corner, sure to have the bear chasing me around the house right now it pops up around the other corner and I run into it at full sprint and get wiped the hell out. After a mauling a few days earlier with only low condition regain during rest this guy mashed me within an inch of my life right there and I almost threw my mouse across the room when it jumped around the corner. At least he bled out eventually but I still decided it was time to move on to another region...

On 5/24/2019 at 7:38 PM, ThePancakeLady said:

First time meeting Fluffy in the Carter Hydro Dam. before I knew who Fluffy was, and what she was all about. 

Oh yes, and I was trying the passage without a light. :)

I had been playing for about two hours already, setting up camp in the muskeg at Spence's. I was sneaking around, clearing the place out with the bow. Far as I can remember, I had already killed one, but there were about three left. I could hear wolf walking sounds all around me. That was when my dog who was sleeping beside me leapt up and let out a loud bark! Man it nearly made me poop myself!

I scrambled to press the esc button so that I could stop and catch my breath. After a minute or two trying to catch my breath, I let my dog out of the room and tried to continue what I started. But there was no way I could land a hit at that point, my right hand was still shaking. So I retreated to the stable so I could save the game and try again some other time.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 3

My first Interloper run on the second day, I was taking the double rope climb up to Skeeter's Ridge. I made it to the top of the second rope and crested the snow bank to get out of the narrow ledge area and into the open area of the ridge and what was waiting for me... a silent wolf. We met almost face to face, no time to drop the rabbit I had as a decoy it was over then and there.

Came out of the gas station in Coastal Highway, got jumped by 2 wolfs, 1 got scared by my gun the other jumped me. As I was applying the bandage and antiseptic and such a bear came, so had to hide in a car .. other time I just came out from a cave into the pleasant vally map and as I were drawing the map I got jumped by a bear.. the end..  

On ‎5‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 8:07 PM, Blankshield said:

Many times by animals, but Steadfast Ranger gave me the chance to jumpscare myself.

Going through Old Island Connector, with the revolver in hand, because the sight lines are so very short in that map, picking up sticks as I go, and I miss the stick when I clicked and ended up firing a round about 3 inches from where my toes would be.

:)I learned quickly to NOT harvest sticks with the pistol in hand. LOL I did the same too many times to count. Now Its the old H button before hand.

Edited by Mike in GA
  • Upvote 2

On 5/24/2019 at 5:38 PM, ThePancakeLady said:

First time meeting Fluffy in the Carter Hydro Dam. before I knew who Fluffy was, and what she was all about. 

The worst part was when she would just walk down that corridor and right past you as she sometimes did.  Downright felt....ghostly, and then threw all conception on where you were to find her out the window.  Even with her moved on now, I still don't trust Carter Dam.  Scares the hoozits from me.

• Upvote 3

ajb1978,

". . . I crouch before doing any time-accelerated action,  . . ."

What a good, simple idea.  I had never thought of that. From now on I shall try and remember to crouch when I harvest a carcass. 

. . . That has given me another thought about butchering a carcass - perhaps I should drop all cooked meat and fresh pelts a distance away to reduce the scent I give off.

Edited by peteloud
  • Upvote 2

On 6/9/2019 at 4:36 AM, peteloud said:

ajb1978,

". . . I crouch before doing any time-accelerated action,  . . ."

What a good, simple idea.  I had never thought of that. From now on I shall try and remember to crouch when I harvest a carcass. 

. . . That has given me another thought about butchering a carcass - perhaps I should drop all cooked meat and fresh pelts a distance away to reduce the scent I give off.

If I have that kind of stuff and I'm going to do a time accelerated action (typically either carcass harvesting or chopping up a limb) I always drop. You don't need to drop it a distance away... as soon as it hits the ground no predator can pick it up.

• 1 month later...

I have many for sure but I think my worst one was when I was in Coastal Highway near the Quonset in my current save. I heard bear crows and I wanted to get a hide so I could get the bearskin bedroll. After looking around I couldn't see any bear but I heard footsteps, my focus was so intense that my vision and hearing were heightened. I came up over a snow drift and there was a wolf on the other side, I flew back into my chair with my heart leaping into my throat :$

• Upvote 2

Honestly, the worst jumpscare I ever had in TLD was when I achieved a feat. I was minding my business, just walking along, keeping an eye out for wolves, when suddenly ka-CHONG! Giant loud Snow Walker badge slams into my face! 🤣I nearly threw my controller across the room. Startled me way more than any bear has.

• Like 4

I was in desolation point, about to enter the last explorable cave before the broken bridge, the one on the side of the road.  I was about to enter the cave when a wolf attacked me; I managed to survive, even with a not-so-small loss of condition, leaving that wolf to run away; at least, that's what I thought. Well, I decided to enter the cave and started exploring it while equipping a flare. I thought: I'm in the cave now, what could go wrong? I Continued exploring, took that  path that leads you higher to that corpse with the rifle near him. Well, I got the rifle, switched back to the flare, searched the body, turned back facing the path I came from... and the wolf was there, 1 meter from me.  I didn't survive that.

Now I wonder: from a game mechanics perspective, that wolf was already in the cave / spawned there, or it could possible have followed me from outside to inside the cave? What's the possible game behaviour?

18 minutes ago, HellFire90 said:

Now I wonder: from a game mechanics perspective, that wolf was already in the cave / spawned there, or it could possible have followed me from outside to inside the cave? What's the possible game behaviour?

You never forget your first meeting with Scruffy :) He lives in that cave--it's a different wolf than the one that ate you outside.  That's one of two caves in the world that harbor wolves....so in general, it's best to stay on your guard when exploring unfamiliar interiors.  Never assume it's safe, just because it's indoors.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, ajb1978 said:

You never forget your first meeting with Scruffy :) He lives in that cave--it's a different wolf than the one that ate you outside.  That's one of two caves in the world that harbor wolves....so in general, it's best to stay on your guard when exploring unfamiliar interiors.  Never assume it's safe, just because it's indoors.

Oh thanks for the info! Never heard about Scruffy, only about Fluffy 😅 I'll be staying on my guard then! Thanks!

Honestly I get jump scared every time my character got sprain. The cry and red flick of the screen always gets me. I remember it was not so intensive in previous version. But nowadays... Lucky only my right hand with mouse shakes during this event. I fell nowhere because of scare. But I suspect it will happen someday.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

I shot the bear from the top of the first rope climb up on the left side of Timberwolf Mountain, he disappeared from sight, and I stood by the rope looking to see where he would run to, this was before player kills had crows, and he managed to climb up somewhere and trapped me at the rope climb and almost killed me. I heard him approach but I didn't think he could get up to where I was, I was mistaken. Plus many times at Quonset where wolves will just appear out of nowhere.

My worst jumpscare has to be that time I was exploring the houses at the Rural Crossroads in Pleasant Valley. I've always been cautious when exploring an area, exactly to avoid been surprised by a wolf or a bear. There was no suspicious movement around the houses. The weather was fine, so I had perfect visibility. After searching the last house, the one nearest to the see-saw and the fire barrel outside, I exited, picked up charcoal from the barrel, turned to get back on the road — and I was face to face with a bear! I hadn't heard it, I hadn't seen it… the feeling was that he just materialised out of thin air. But it was no ghost, as it mauled me pretty well!

• 1 month later...

It was the middle of the day and I was walking joyfully home from my expedition to my home base in Costal Highway. My happy home, the gas station.  Around that station surrounded houses, cars and other buildings. I knew dang well that on the lake ahead was a special place for Fluffy and her pack to hang around, so I always avoided carrying food around this area. So I was loaded with peanut butter and canned food. ANYWAYS. I was simple holding my revolver which I treated like my first born. It was always above 80 percent and always was full of bullets. That baby saved me from so many wolf attacks. But my forgetful mind forgot to reload my revolver after my run in with a pack of wolves awhile back. Being confident, I heard a few wolf snarls but I shrugged it off and kept walking. Then I heard a bear. THEN STUFF GOT REAL. I kept running until I saw a wolf infront of me, of course. That wolf nailed me because I was trying to shoot an empty revolver, I survived by fighting him off with a hunting knife. As I tried to gather my belongings and do some quick first aid. Just to stop the pain and bleeding, I continue walking for maybe another minute until a bear come running at me, silently. He didn't growl, roar, no nothing. I screamed. The bear ate me. I died.

Never again will I be confident that my revolver is loaded.

Once I was hunting a wolf and this demonic sounding wolf howled super loud like it was right behind me and freaked me out. I stopped dead in my tracks and all the animals were gone after that. Never knew if it was a game mechanic, or just one of those scary bugs.

Not gonna lie every time I sprain something it scares the mess out of me lol. it is so unexpected and just comes out of the blue when walking uphilll and the character makes a loud sound ontop of the breaking bone sound. The worst time I was jumpscared was by a sprain it almost made me jump out of my seat, the second time was by a bear, long story short I was st mystery lake fished for 5 hours and caught 4 fish and decided to pack up and when I walked out of the fishing hut I heard a odd noise turned around and it was the big'ol bear standing on his back legs just before running after me, I did not escape he was on top of me and brought my condition down to a mear 10% (almost dead) so I hobbled my way to the nearest lake cabin and just before getting to the door heard the bark of a wolf luckily I was able to get inside before he attacked, patched myself up and recovered. This was on stalker.