Admin

Question Thread :: Milton Mailbag

28 minutes ago, amadeuszbx said:

Ok, so I have 3 questions here. I'll be thankful if you answer!

1) People seem to really want this, theoretically small, but much needed change and I'm one of them. What change? Making scarfs and accessory, not a piece of head-clothing! It makes no sense for them to take up the same space as hats, while ear wraps are considers accesory (and I think they are the only accessory currently in game). Will you make scarfs take up accessory slot rather than head slot, because ear wrap being an only accessory seems a bit empty and definitely not very sensible (like: Who would wear two ear wraps??)? Do you plan to add more accessories?

The moose hide satchel uses one of the accessory slots, when/if you make one.

It gives the ability to carry and extra 11 lbs (5 kgs).

3 hours ago, Hawk said:

The moose hide satchel uses one of the accessory slots, when/if you make one.

It gives the ability to carry and extra 11 lbs (5 kgs).

Oh, right, sorry. I forgot about moose satchel mainly because I never used it. Still, my initial question holds.

Plan on adding anything new soon?

Also, how goes things at Hinterland?

Edited by Smellyfries
Wanted to add one more thing

On Trapper's Homestead in survival, why are the windows always lit at night regardless of Aurora? Is this purposeful or a hangover from Wintermute? It just seems strange that this is the only building that does this, and there is never any source of light inside the Homestead to cause it either.

What's behind the boarded door inside Milton's Post Office? Your secret office, right? Where you take care of these Mailbags. ;)

Cheers, Rick

• Like 3

On 2/14/2019 at 10:50 PM, Skelegutplays said:

Why is the box of crackers so large? It looks like there would be 500 grams minimum in it.

lol, typically irl the box would say crackers sold by weight not volume, in this case the box would say the opposite.  

How much has the game changed sense you first brought it into Early access all those years ago?

Hi Raph, one of the things I really like about HRV is to find random stuff when exploring out of the way areas. For example, I wandered up some out of the way hill and found a rifle leaned up against a tree. Golden!

Would you consider adding more random items in the other maps to make exploration more exiting? In ML for example, I know every square metre and know that there is nothing to be found up that ridge or behind that cliff, so I don't bother going there anymore. I think some random treasure like an old campfire with a pot in some out of the way place would make each new start a new experience. 

• Upvote 4

Have you considered programming randomized loot tables?

Edited by muoz
  • Upvote 1

On 2/18/2019 at 7:14 AM, muoz said:

Have you considered programming randomized loot tables?

I think this has been addressed in MMB#22 already:

We use loot tables in the game so I think they are great. :) I don't think people sharing them is great, but that's up to the community. All items that appear in containers are determined using loot tables, and all items that spawn in the world (ex. placed on shelves, laying on the floor, etc.) use individually tuned spawn values. There are very few 100% spawns, so if there are guaranteed matches they are either there for a specific reason or their spawn % is bugged. 

I think refreshing the loot tables could be a fun idea, although I suspect some players would find it irritating. 

What we call loot tables are 100% guaranteed spawns of key-items in Survival. I would also like a new answer to that especially about randomization. Refreshing the loot tables wouldn't fix the problem, since it would take what, 24h to the community to find out the new ones?

I love the items spawn in relation with context (bedroll in Camp/caves/blinds, tools in industrial places, clothes on beds etc). But the certainty is actually killing the game a bit for the long time players who know them: spawn somewhere, go to the nearest big loot place, find any of the key items (hacksaw/bedroll/hammer/maglens), you know on which loot table you are, then go find what you need where you know it will be. It's like playing with a Crystal Ball, it removes from the players the "surprise" thing you have to adapt to.

It's just the same with the Emergency Stims when playing a Deadman: you just know where to find them for sure.

I would actually love it to be truly randomiz-able at least in Custom Settings, not only 4 tables.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, BareSkin said:

I would actually love it to be truly randomiz-able at least in Custom Settings, not only 4 tables.

Amen!

• Upvote 1

Just a note for those like me who bought the game on a Steam sale and who believe they're getting incredible value for the hundreds of hours they've played the game - if you still want to support Hinterland, you can always buy additional copies and gift them, or go to their store and buy some of the artwork or other items! That's what I've done because this is one of my favorite games and I want to make sure I support every bit of extra content that's been released free-of-charge. I know things were "promised" with your purchase and you certainly don't owe them any more money based upon that agreement, but this has been several years of hard work by this team. I'm still loving this game and want to see more, so if I can contribute a little more, I view these other purchases kind of as an "Indiegogo" for Hinterland.

Please don't be offended. Again, I know Hinterland promised some things when we purchased the game, it's just a suggestion for those who want to continue to support the devs financially above and beyond the initial purchase.

Edited by MindFog2287
  • Upvote 2

Any chance to have the burning flare or torch already in hand come up as the default option when lighting a fire?

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

SPOILERS FOR EPISODE 2 OF WINTERMUTE:

After fighting the Old Bear, Jeremiah kicks you out of his homestead and you can't go back. The game puts everything you had in his cabin in your inventory. I can't help but wonder... why? To me, it was quite a hude problem, because I was REALLY encumbered. I've also read some posts from different players that couldn't even move and they thought it was a bug, since they couldn't reach the door and see that it's locked.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Azdrawee said:

The game puts everything you had in his cabin in your inventory. I can't help but wonder... why?

Because you're in kinda-tutorial: it teaches you that in TLD, sh1t happens, and you'll have to adapt within minutes.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Are you considering to adress the problem with rotten meat being possible to be cooked? Food at 0% can be cooked and you have new fresh food at 50% condition. That's a bit weird. Thinking of the late game, you can spread around meat everywhere and come back 1 year later and you can still cook and eat that food because at the end meat never spoils.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, muoz said:

Are you considering to adress the problem with rotten meat being possible to be cooked?

What's a problem for you might not be a problem for the others^^

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

Straightforward question: do you plan to add option to sleep on the floor (like anywhere, even on snow)?

I'm asking cause it seem highly unrealistic (not it's-just-a-game unrealistic, but really unrealistic) that characters stay up until they die of exhaustion instead of passing out and waking up later. Sleeping on the bare floor could have no benefits of regular sleep (like very slow condition restoration or no affliction healing) and on snow it could mean temperature penalty instead of bonus so you would need a fire going. Buuut it should at least be an option, right? If it isn't, it's just quite silly that characters  stay up until they die of sleep deprivation and it makes bedroll a bit too crucial than it should be.

• Upvote 2

We're hoping to get a Milton Mailbag out this week so please ask any questions you might have for @Raphael van Lierop . The more he has to work with the more that might spark interesting answers.

Thanks for your participation in this everybody!

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

Hello

what do you think about adding more wildlife?

My ideas: fox, carnivore and very shy, escapes very fast and difficult to hunt and need rabbits to bait, 2-4kg meat with less calories than wolf, pelt can be used to craft a scarf

boar, herbivore, not agressive at first but very protective if come too close similar like moose and can pin you down, 4-10kg meat, pelt can be combined with a regular sleeping bag to get some extra degrees

sitting crows, extremely shy and fly away when you are too close, can be harvested to get some meat and feathers

2nd question, any plans for creating a new world? Maybe Sibiria or Scandinavia? They also have wolfes and bears ;-)

• Upvote 1

Okay - I had this thought today while watching a YouTube video of Atheenon playing Interloper for his Librarian challenge.  What about a very Canadian thing called portage? Maybe it's not a Canadian thing but I spent a few weeks around the boundary waters and I'm thinking "WOW!  That would be such a cool new region in The Long Dark".  It would be a region where there are a bunch of islands, maybe some cabins, maybe not but it would be so fun to have this new concept of portage which means, you'd have to find a canoe, maybe repair it, maybe even have to build it.  You could boat out to some of the islands, find portage paths to some of the areas.  Portage bags, canoe paddles, so many things to craft!  You would definitely have wolves and moose because ... moose and water, right?!!  It could be a very cool concept.  The canoes would only be good in that region, you wouldn't be able to carry them to another region.  So many thoughts on this! 

I also realize it would involve some major, major development on the back end.  But ... wouldn't that just be the coolest thing ever???!!!  So I guess my question is, I realize I'm supposed to post a question, would you consider opening a new area where portage was a thing?

Just a though Raphael and I wanted to share it with you.  Keep warm out there!

How many people are currently working in the team? And how many work on a Survival mode, and how many on a Story mode?

Upd: I was waiting for the Development Diary 5 days, but you postponed its release to next week, can you know more accurate time and release day next week?

• Upvote 1

Apologies if this has been asked and answered before.

Are there any plans to do a balance pass on the Wintermute spear mechanics / bear encounter? I feel as though the spear takes too long to deploy and the bear takes too many stabs to drive off / kill (3 stabs per encounter, 9 total by the time it's all over). I also feel as though when the bear succeeds in attacking you it doesn't move far enough away to give the player reasonable amounts of time to recover and prepare for the next attack. It's pretty easy to get locked into a failure loop because you were unsuccessful in the first engagement.

Also in the final section of the cave the bear pathing can make it needlessly tedious to get to the spear. You have to wait for the bear to get sufficient distance away from the spear to give you enough time to brace the spear or you'll fail the attack. This can lead to a lot of down time. You can cheese this a bit by aggroing the bear and then ducking into a hole. This seems to 'scare' the bear away which might send it far enough to get to the spear but I doubt this is the intended strategy.