Question Thread :: Milton Mailbag

Admin

First up , love the game, well done.  Keep it coming please.  Couple of questions:

1. You've said Episode 3 will now only use Pleasant Valley rather than three regions.  I'm fine with that, but does this mean that there will now be some regions that do not form part of Wintermute?

2. Suggestion for this year's 4DON - can we have a Pythonesque Killer Rabbit please?  Swap rabbit and bear behaviour? Also, it's a serious game, and we all enjoyed Jermiah's dancing in the Dev Diary - what else is in there (if not out here) that lets off a bit of steam?

3.  And finally as it's coming to summer holiday planning: how would you sum up Hinterlands vacancies

a) Somewhere snowy - I just can't get enough of that wonderful snow and ice, ice, glorious ice

b) Somewhere sunny - warm, hot, build a fire, yeah...

c) I stopped leaving the house in 2015.  There are wolves out there, WOLVES! 

1. Any plans for Wildlifes NPC vs NPC fights? It would be really cool to see a pack of wolves attacking a bear.

2. Any plans for survivor NPCs for us to encounter, partner with or even fight against?

3. Any plans for dogs as companions? ;)

4. When will we know if savefiles will be confirmed NOT to be affected by the upcoming survival update?

Hi Raph!

Have you ever thought about introducing a new feature of the Aurora where electricity opens up a “secret” or “closed” area? Such as a lift in a mine that can be used to go into a new area that only works during the Aurora? 

• Upvote 1

Back before the redux, in chapter 2 of Wintermute, after you complete Jeremiah's survival school, he gave you an awesome knife; but i don't remember you getting it in the redux. Did you remove it because of technical reasons, or did you just feel like it didn't need to exist anymore? Just wondering

So much talk of animals and such, but I find myself thinking of additional weather/environmental challenges: Would love moon phases with corresponding varied light at night &/or option for nights to grow longer/days shorter as the weeks progressed like IRL seasons... Perhaps reward of longer days once pass 180 days or so or plants/fungi respawning as the year cycled round again for marathon players.

• Upvote 3

At the beggining of episode 1, Will drags out the broken shard from his hand. Then there's the section with memories. After this section ends, he drags the shard out again. Why is this happening? Is this a bug or did I understand this incorrectly?

Okay i don't know if this is only me, but I was playing yesterday, and in the very early morning my character woke up and i went outside. I kept hearing a sound i've never heard before in the game. It sounded like a plane flying overhead, but there wasn't anything above me yet the sound was very loud. (this wasn't during an aurora and I was in crumbling highway; definitely did not mistake the sound for not just being the waves from the ocean) I even have a clip of it and and you can definitely hear this weird sound.  Was this purposely put in the game or is it some type of glitch possibly on my end?

Thought about adding specific feats that only temporarily unlock for a specific game? Similar to buffs you get, you do the right thing during your survival mode, or you prioritize your time in doing something and you get a semi-permanent bonus for the rest of that saved game, but you don't have it for any other and have to do the work all over again. 

You mentioned reworking rifle aiming. I understand there was a decision to zoom the iron sights much closer to the camera to help visibility (especially for consoles), but the animation also now just pulls the rifle back towards the camera in an uninteresting motion now. I liked how the rifle used to push forward a bit before being shouldered as it made it look like the character was preventing the stock from getting caught on their coat's armpits (A real issue I've experienced while shooting in Winter).

Its been a long time since it was removed and I understand if you don't remember but was this small detail with aiming intentional? Is there a chance we could see it again?

Also, does the tall grass currently affect whether animals see you or not?

• Upvote 1

I've realized just now that I can see my breath in caves where the temperature is 20c, which doesn't seem right since I definitely can't see my breath on nice days in the real world.  Is this a bug or an oversight?  Also, why are there drawers below the sinks in the bathrooms?  I don't know how you could get plumbing to work with sliding drawers.  

• Upvote 1

After Redux and its many exciting additions to the story I have been walking around survival mode with my eyes trained a little bit more towards story clues. Donning my P.I. hat in Milton has recently brought the following factoid to my attention: of the headstones in the cemetery, the three with both name and dates visible seem to mark the graves of young women, including Grey Mother's daughter. Now of course my brain went into overdrive, making up stories, going as far as imagining an ancient virgin-sacrificing cult on Great Bear.

Care to comment? If you want to avoid spoilers (please do) then maybe at least you could say if the reasons are story related or something out of the real world.

In the March dev diary you've mentioned the team is hard at work on a new region for survival mode but it most likely would not be ready for the forthcoming update. Can you confirm we won't have the new region when the update drops or can I still maintain a sliver of hope it might come in this update? 

I'm already pretty happy with the prospect of a revolver, new clothing and food item BTW. Anything else would be a major plus. 

Edited by Dan_

Beachcombing is a common practice among some players who collect items that appear on the shoreline of coastal regions.

My questions are:

1° - These items have a reason to be there or were it just introduced to help players who have already exhausted all nonrenewable resources?

2° - If there is a story behind these items, where did it come from? Had it come from the mainland? Or from some plane that fell into the sea because of The Flare? Or even from the ships going south described by Barbara Quincy in the buffer memory BARBARA.doc at Quonset Garage?

3° - By the way, have these ships made it to the mainland?