Dev Diary – October 2020

Admin

UI improvements:

Please make the scroll wheel work on that horizontal item selection menu that pops up on clicking a cooking spot. Or let me sort it by weight/condition. Clicking past my zillion teas to get to the raw meat - is painful!

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

I'm   beyond excited for the Halloween event! I've often thought of how creepy TLD would be if there was something spooky or supernatural in the darkness.

AND and new region and gear!? Holy cow!

Hinterland is earning that holiday break! Thank ya'll for putting this extra work in for the special Halloween event and new area. I know we were all disappointed in the delaying of the new episode, so this is a very nice gesture.

<3

• Upvote 2

Oh man, this is exciting! I'm really happy that this year's Halloween event is longer that four days, since I'm moving house at the end of October and I wasn't sure I'd have my computer/internet situation set up at the new place in time for 4DON. Now I definitely will!

very excited for a new region and always hopeful we get new improvised/simple tools that are appealing for long term survival and interloper players. fingers crossed it isnt more spray paint and mapping knick knacks i will never use lol

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, odium said:

very excited for a new region and always hopeful we get new improvised/simple tools that are appealing for long term survival and interloper players. fingers crossed it isnt more spray paint and mapping knick knacks i will never use lol

Ash Canyon...

from wikipedia:

The tree's common English name, "ash", traces back to the Old English æsc, which relates to the proto-Indo-European for the tree, while the generic name originated in Latin from a proto-Indo-European word for birch. Both words are also used to mean "spear" in their respective languages, as the wood is good for shafts

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Valuable Hunting Knife said:

Ash Canyon...

from wikipedia:

The tree's common English name, "ash", traces back to the Old English æsc, which relates to the proto-Indo-European for the tree, while the generic name originated in Latin from a proto-Indo-European word for birch. Both words are also used to mean "spear" in their respective languages, as the wood is good for shafts

man a spear would be really neat!

• Upvote 3

Now that I've had more time to process all this wonderful information:

The Halloween Event:

I'm really excited about the coming of the Darkwalker.
The constant/relentless pursuit reminds me of my endurance runs for my modified "The Hunted: Part 1" challenge (where I ignore the primary goal and just try to survive and evade the Demon Bear for as long as possible).

I do think it's a little unfortunate about the badges though...  I've never thought the time investment was ever all that heavy.  Even though my job has me working between 72-84 hours a week, I was still able to make time in order to play 4DoN (and earn both sets of badges).  While I will miss that aspect, I am really looking forward to the Unlockable Rewards for this iteration of the Halloween Event.  I'm already intrigued by the Endless Night - Custom Game Option...  However, I'm supremely curious about what the others might be (Raph did mention "special unlocks" - the plural after all, implying more than one ;)).

The Darkwalker itself sounds like it will be a thrilling chase, and then also having to out maneuver the encroachment of a deadly fog sounds like a wonderfully interesting way of compounding an already dire situation.

I do also like the idea of the glyph mechanic... I've never found a reason to use spray cans in my usual play style.  I appreciate that this event will highlight a very specific and vitally important role/function for those cans of spray-paint.

The December Update:

The new region sounds absolutely wonderful, and the concept art shown here already has my imagination running wild.  For me, getting to explore a new region makes the entire game feel brand new again.  Every new Survival Update, Event, Challenge Mode, and Wintermute Chapter release makes me love this game even more than each iteration that came before it.

I do really love the possibilities of that manual aerial trolley.  I'm also eager to explore what I assume could be remnants of a scorched forest, and really curious about what those two new gear items will be.

Admittedly, I am a little apprehensive about the UI changes and re-tuning/re-balancing of systems/mechanics... but ultimately I do trust Hinterland (and of course will always respect and embrace whatever decisions they make for their game).

:coffee::fire::coffee:
As I've thought about the event today, some of the same images kept coming to mind. :D
580147820_TheFogsmall.jpg.b545f9de1df9ac4a3f8ea2d0dbf1144d.jpg517446705_TheFogsmall2.jpg.7610748945715b145218d491e4beefc8.jpg

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Valuable Hunting Knife said:

Ash Canyon...

from wikipedia:

Ohohoh! This makes it sound like we are going to need special ash saplings to make the shafts for the bear spear eh?

Good detective work!

• Upvote 4

19 hours ago, MarrowStone said:

If I know anything about Hinterland's sound design, we're in for some bone chilling tricks as well... 

Oh yes good you mentioned it. I get always really scared by the sounds in the woods. With time i learned what sounds are just sounds and what is a predator, but until today i freak out when i hear something in the woods...

• Like 1

Guest jeffpeng
8 hours ago, Dan_ said:

TLD has to be one of the most iconic pieces of game design of the past decade, hands down.

That what I always think (and often say ^^) when people criticize the "dated" graphics. It's not particularly hard anymore to make a game that strives for somewhat realistic graphics. But it's kinda hard to actually do something that resembles art more than reality and make it work in a game. And TLDs approach here isn't just pretty unique, but also works out astonishingly well - and has aged better than most of it's photo realistic "competition".

Hi, will it be still possible to play the regular Survival mode during the event?

Also, the "escape in 5 realtime minutes" from a region look like a harsh constraint and requires people to know the maps very well, this may take away newcomers or people who don't know the maps perfectly. Is there something planned for this so everyone can have fun? Thanks!

Edited by yoli

Guest jeffpeng
5 hours ago, turtle777 said:

It sounds like sleep is not an option in Dark Walker. It’s like a speed-run challenge ?!?

As they talked about real-time-minutes I guess sleeping will not advance the clock more than being awake. Will be interesting to see if the "Dark Walker" also sleeps when you do ^^

Edited by jeffpeng