Dev Diary – October 2020

Admin

3 minutes ago, MARKYSOM said:

Escape the darkwalker definately not a good idea for people who are deaf guess the devs didn't think about the players that are deaf then

no, early footage shows a proximity alert when the darkwalker is within 200 metres. e.g it is 42 metres away the warning will say, DARKWALKER IS: 42.4 METRES AWAY

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TheShortBright said:

i'm a long dark switch user and nothing has happened, at all. Is this a bug or is ETD coming late to switch/Europe?

i woke up at 7 specially to play this and my disappointment was continental when I didn't find ANYTHING

Umm... what? It's not coming out for many many hours yet, the launch is 6pm pacific daylight time which is late at night in Europe. Some youtubers got early access to it (which is extremely annoying as I now have to resist watching em) but otherwise there is nothing yet

Edited by Mistral

8 minutes ago, TheShortBright said:

oh thats why! thanks for this.

as i'm from uk we use GMT not PDT so i was a bit confused with the times. thanks for clearing this up for me

Yes I'm from Europe as well and the time zones can be very frustrating, as this too is essentially Oct 30 launch for us lol. US times are always like that though, with sports and shows too

Hopefully I can keep away from Youtube as I don't want to get spoiled

Edited by Mistral

35 minutes ago, Mistral said:

Yes I'm from Europe as well and the time zones can be very frustrating, as this too is essentially Oct 30 launch for us lol. US times are always like that though, with sports and shows too

Hopefully I can keep away from Youtube as I don't want to get spoiled

unfortunately i watched lmg before we get our hands on so i have a decent idea of how it works, if you want me to give some small advice give me a shout

8 hours ago, Mistral said:

I don't think I'm gonna open that link, just in case!

I'm hyped for the release and can understand why no spoilers before the release. The preview (not early access) to a privileged few violated that, and so I out-scooped'em. ;)

It has spoilers in caps in the title, so hopefully those who don't want the spoilers would not click my video, or watch the preview streamers.

At the time, info was limited, I've been adding to it and corrected it over the day in my pinned video comment.

okay, so I have seen a lot of others who are asking the same question, where is this event on switch? come on hinterland, you cant just dangle this just under our noses, its cruelty, cruelty I say!  I would like to know WHETHER the event IS coming to switch and if not, WHY it isn't. and there better be a damn good reason because this HAS THROWN ALL MY EXCITEMENT FOR HALLOWEEN DOWN THE TOILET AND FLUSHED IT 10 TIMES. maybe its a bug but still, its not right to alienate a group from a cool event just because of what console they use. so if this IS a bug, please fix it, I've lost so much time on this event already.

3 hours ago, TheShortBright said:

okay, so I have seen a lot of others who are asking the same question, where is this event on switch? come on hinterland, you cant just dangle this just under our noses, its cruelty, cruelty I say!  I would like to know WHETHER the event IS coming to switch and if not, WHY it isn't. and there better be a damn good reason because this HAS THROWN ALL MY EXCITEMENT FOR HALLOWEEN DOWN THE TOILET AND FLUSHED IT 10 TIMES. maybe its a bug but still, its not right to alienate a group from a cool event just because of what console they use. so if this IS a bug, please fix it, I've lost so much time on this event already.

okay, so first off i wanted to apologise to hinterland for what i said. having read the twitter feed and i found out that the switch edition is on its way and will be released as soon as possible. a huge apology to hinterland as i had no idea that it was having to be delayed and now i feel like an a-hole for this. i can't wait for when it releases on switch and keep up all your hard work to create this game.

yours sincerely,

The Short Bright

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

On 10/15/2020 at 9:10 PM, Gazbeard said:

Must confess the Darkwalker event has me about as excited as the idea of lying in a bath of worms for 24 hours. 

Everything else in the announcement looks great (provided there's no Timberwolves in Ash Canyon ... is that going to be the same new region in Episode 4 with the prison?)

So does that mean you were excited about it or not? That could go both ways....

On 10/16/2020 at 1:10 AM, thekillergreece said:

Deaf players: Are we a joke to you? (I'm deaf btw)

Good update but maybe I wish you should have considered deaf players about this but it's fine. :P

That is unless you put the cries, footsteps, etc in Closed Captions.

On 10/29/2020 at 5:17 AM, MARKYSOM said:

Escape the darkwalker definately not a good idea for people who are deaf guess the devs didn't think about the players that are deaf then

I haven't played yet but I hope they have adaptive features to help players without hearing. 

I'm super excited to try this event. I was busy over the weekend but I'll have a chance to spend a couple of hours on it tonight.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, hozz1235 said:

Any more details to share?  REALLY looking forward to this!!

I don't think they're going to reveal any information this close to release.

The only thing I'd like clarified is whether it's still going to release before you guys at Hinterland finish for Christmas.

50 minutes ago, Hawk said:

You've obviously not contacted GoG support before. It basically serves no purpose. They're useless.

That's true, I've never had to contact them because I just don't use their services (and considering the apparent issues GoG has about getting updates to their customers, I probably never will use them).

:coffee::fire::coffee:
[Addendum]
The rest of this is just context for other folks who might read this post. :)

GoG comes up quite a bit around the time of any update.
It always looks to me like it's a GoG issue, so I do try to recommend folks to take those issues up with GoG.

After all, if it's a GoG issue... then GoG would be the ones to have to fix it.  I'm fairly certain that Hinterland has no control over how long it takes GoG to get updates to it's customers.

I offer the links to GoG, so that folks can complain to GoG about it...

Raph and the Admins have discussed this quite a bit over the years (but I'm just going to echo one example):

On 10/18/2019 at 5:17 AM, Raphael van Lierop said:

In the past we've been blamed for delays on GOG so I try to point out that we don't have direct control on when GOG chooses to release our updates (it's the only platform where we don't have that influence). There have been some rare instances in the past where we have bundled hotfixes (when there were several in a row) to avoid accumulating delays on GOG which meant that maybe an intermediary hotfix wouldn't appear on GOG, but apart from that we have always done our best to make sure all our customers, on all platforms, have the same level of service.

Edited by ManicManiac

On 12/3/2020 at 10:20 AM, Snake Doctor said:

I don't think they're going to reveal any information this close to release.

The only thing I'd like clarified is whether it's still going to release before you guys at Hinterland finish for Christmas.

Can't hurt to ask!  Release could be 3 weeks out...unless you know something we don't.

Edited by hozz1235