Dev Diary – October 2020

Admin

it would be nice too to have some custom gamemode option: the fog. but instead of being 30mins in real life it is something like 15 days in game. the fog slowly appears during those 15 days so it can start from the 8th day or so and completely make the region inaccesible after the 15th day.

• Upvote 2

it would be nice too to have some custom gamemode option: the fog. but instead of being 30mins in real life it is something like 15 days in game. the fog slowly appears during those 15 days so it can start from the 8th day or so and completely make the region inaccesible after the 15th day.

thanks for the support!

i just joined this community so thanks for the warm welcome. :)

and yeah i think that would be a good idea tbh

maybe the fog would thicken over time, and there would be an affliction for breathing it for too long and this affliction worsens the longer you are in that foggy region, like maybe it starts with low condition loss, a headache and deductions from the sprint bar and escalates to pain, exhaustion and eventually death. and these factors increase the chances of being caught by the Darkwalker.

Edited by TheShortBright
  • Upvote 1

I took the liberty to modify a little bit you map @GIflegolas i think this version would be more acurate beacause timbewolf wasnt at the right place at the time.

TheLongDark_Global_map_Published_by_development_team_NewRegions.thumb.jpg.68893f5f092b6d4eae3c8efad2f2709b.jpg.e9fec94b15f2d1dd84084f07e3541e2e.jpg

The blackrock bus that was stuck inside the mountain in milton was heading towards pleasant valley. on the map we see that pleasant valley has a road that isnt finished so maybe it was meant to be going to perseverance mills? it would make sense to me beacause there is also a road to the right that goes to the region that i suspect to be the future blackrock region. so the transport bus was probably going on that road.*****SPOILERS OF EPISODE THREE**** now the only problem is that the abandoned mine that we used to travel trough in the end of episode 3 only goes to coastal highway BUT. when you head out of the mine, you see whales that are dead on the beach. now if we were in coastal highway, it would be different beacause we cannot see the beach directly from where the cave ends.

Edited by oplli
  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, TheShortBright said:

thanks for the support!

i just joined this community so thanks for the warm welcome. :)

and yeah i think that would be a good idea tbh

maybe the fog would thicken over time, and there would be an affliction for breathing it for too long and this affliction worsens the longer you are in that foggy region, like maybe it starts with low condition loss, a headache and deductions from the sprint bar and escalates to pain, exhaustion and eventually death. and these factors increase the chances of being caught by the Darkwalker.

Well welcome in the comunity :).i like the idea in wich the fogs get thicker and thicker. this means that we can come back quickly i a region but at our own riks. i always liked the risk/reward balance in this game. or we could come back later after the fog is gone. it would be nice if we come back later after the fog has spread out, that the wildlife take more time to come back.

• Upvote 1

The blackrock bus that was stuck inside the mountain in milton was heading towards pleasant valley. on the map we see that pleasant valley has a road that isnt finished so maybe it was meant to be going to perseverance mills? it would make sense to me beacause there is also a road to the right that goes to the region that i suspect to be the future blackrock region. so the transport bus was probably going on that road.*****SPOILERS OF EPISODE THREE**** now the only problem is that the abandoned mine that we used to travel trough in the end of episode 3 only goes to coastal highway BUT. when you head out of the mine, you see whales that are dead on the beach. now if we were in coastal highway, it would be different beacause we cannot see the beach directly from where the cave ends.

i think you're right honestly, the prison buses(yes there most likely was multiple) probably came from maybe some small airport or something in the northern section of great bear but the last bus crashed in the Milton tunnel entrance during the first flare and the others made it through to the other side but crashed also. you can see this due to the prisoner and guard bodies found near the entrance to pleasant valley

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TheShortBright said:

i think you're right honestly, the prison buses(yes there most likely was multiple) probably came from maybe some small airport or something in the northern section of great bear but the last bus crashed in the Milton tunnel entrance during the first flare and the others made it through to the other side but crashed also. you can see this due to the prisoner and guard bodies found near the entrance to pleasant valley

In the game there is a railway and some roads but they never connect. i always wanted a region in wich they connect and in wich there is an airport and a small harbour plus couple of markets etc. but that would stay small though. i always wondered where will thaught he was going to land in the story mode. maybe his plan was to crash on the island :D 

Edited by oplli
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, dbmurph22 said:

I was gonna say you could copy, delete and then repost with spoiler but I don't even see how you can post with a spoiler tag at all.  I guess you could do that if you wanted to copy, delete, and then break it up and repost the Ash Canyon parts here and the Wintermute parts in the Wintermute subforum.  I'll leave it up to you, though - made my suggestion, and will be on my way.  Thanks for the kind response.

I think you could be right about the Mountain Town/Spruce Bridge connect to the new Ash Canyon.  If you think about overall layout this does quite a bit and adds a lot of extra flexibility since it reduces the Mystery Lake bottleneck when crossing the map to either the east or the west.  Exciting times.

Well, it is already possible to travel between Mountain town and Coastal Highway without going through Mystery Lake... you just have to travel through Bleak Inlet. Not sure how many people actually do that though as it is very inconvenient (two ropes to climb...), unless you happen to have to make ammo along the way.

• Upvote 3

53 minutes ago, Glflegolas said:

Well, it is already possible to travel between Mountain town and Coastal Highway without going through Mystery Lake... you just have to travel through Bleak Inlet. Not sure how many people actually do that though as it is very inconvenient (two ropes to climb...), unless you happen to have to make ammo along the way.

Difference is 2 ropes (1 up, 1 down):

MT - ML - Ravine - CH: 1 rope down and 1 rope up

MT - FM - BI - Ravine - CH: min. 2 ropes down and 2 ropes up

The BI route is just so much longer.

-t 

Edited by turtle777

1 hour ago, turtle777 said:

Difference is 2 ropes (1 up, 1 down):

MT - ML - Ravine - CH: 1 rope down and 1 rope up

MT - FM - BI - Ravine - CH: min. 2 ropes down and 2 ropes up

The BI route is just so much longer.

-t 

It's been a while since I've been to BI, but last I remember you rope down from the ravine, but if you accessed BI via the cave from FM that's your only way out too as there's no rope leading up from the bottom unless it was previously deployed from the lookout.  I could be mistaken, but if memory serves, am I right?

2 hours ago, Glflegolas said:

Very true, but yeah as you say not many do it.  Plus Ravine almost feels like a Mystery Lake vestibule in many ways instead of concrete separation - especially since the rope down to the bottom is that close to Carter.  Good point though.  I guess a lot will depend on how the route through Ash looks if indeed the layout plays out as predicted.  It won't reduce the bottleneck if the path to Milton through Ash Canyon is guarded by Dire Wolves.

Edited by dbmurph22

50 minutes ago, piddy3825 said:

It's been a while since I've been to BI, but last I remember you rope down from the ravine, but if you accessed BI via the cave from FM that's your only way out too as there's no rope leading up from the bottom unless it was previously deployed from the lookout.  I could be mistaken, but if memory serves, am I right?

I actually don’t know if the rope at the lookout might be deployed in some of the easier settings (Pilgrim, Voyager).

But it’s a good point - the route might only work once the rope has been deployed. For the sake of planning Darkwalker, the order and direction might be very important.

-t

8 minutes ago, turtle777 said:

I actually don’t know if the rope at the lookout might be deployed in some of the easier settings (Pilgrim, Voyager).

But it’s a good point - the route might only work once the rope has been deployed. For the sake of planning Darkwalker, the order and direction might be very important.

-t

Yeah, I'm pretty sure you've gotta deploy the rope from the lookout.  It's usually hanging up outside the lookout on the back wall.  If it's not deployed there's no way up so that's a big factor in planning a route in or out...

yeah, this ain't gonna be no syrup run...

17 hours ago, oplli said:

In the game there is a railway and some roads but they never connect. i always wanted a region in which they connect and in which there is an airport and a small harbour plus couple of markets etc. but that would stay small though. I always wondered where will thought he was going to land in the story mode. maybe his plan was to crash on the island :D 

i don't think crashing was his plan, he's a bush pilot, and those kinds of planes can land on nearly any flat terrain. and i think a lot of the roads used to connect but were destroyed during the first flare

Edited by TheShortBright

This is the longest one way route that I can see. It is very dependent on what ropes they put in the event. There are two drops you normally have to place yourself. If they are not pre-placed and you don't have them, then you are in trouble at Ravine and BI.

Credit: To Axeman, who evidentially, posted the original schematic on Steam. More than a year ago.

Region-Links.jpg

Edited by bladerunner900
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, bladerunner900 said:

This is the longest one way route that I can see. It is very dependent on what ropes they put in the event. There are two drops you normally have to place yourself. If they are not pre-placed and you don't have them, then you are in trouble at Ravine and BI.

Region-Links.jpg

Nice diagram ! It summarize well the different routes and connections !

• Upvote 3

30 minutes ago, DarKube said:

Nice diagram ! It summarize well the different routes and connections !

Thanks. I found an older version of this some time ago and keep updating it. I can't find the original author so apologies for not giving credit where credit is due.

Edit: FOUND IT! It was originally posted on Steam by Axeman, then re-posted on Reddit a year ago. Thanks Axeman!

Edited by bladerunner900
  • Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Lohaan said:

What do you think about this map?

Kais TLD map.jpg

Decent map, but I'm not 100% sure where Bleak Inlet would be located in that case. Maybe I'll take a shot at some Great Bear Island cartography myself one of these days... the maps made by Whiteberry and StmSantana would be a good start I guess.

Edited by Glflegolas
  • Upvote 1

I am thinking of starting the challenge in DP (assuming we can chose the starting region) and making a final stand on top of TWM. The issue is that there is not always a rope down to BI. In a regular game i would go to ML for a spare rope but for this challenge i may need a rope from CH. Never looked there for a rope. I think the lookout tower sometimes has one. Finding a rope in ML within 30 minutes might be tricky when you're chased by a monster. 👻