Your LEAST favorite base location.

codfish107

To kinda go along with this post, what is your least favorite place to pick as a base? For me it's the Camp Office. Even though i use it for it's central location as my main base, i absolutely hate it's interior design and loath every time i come back to it from a different map.

Things i hate about it:

*It's too big too my liking.

*The bed and two spot stove are upstairs away from most of the storage.

*There's lot's of storage, but it's spread around between two floors and it's mostly smaller containers.

*I used to like all of the counter/shelf space, until all that clutter was put there. Not only does it get in the way of placing stuff, but it bothers me on a personal level.

Most of the places in Coastal Highway, along with Broken Railroad it is in my least favorite regions anyway. If I'm doing long term survival I don't want to have to crouch every time I exit the door, or have to constantly be on alert when going to the fishing hut, because of the wolf/bear spawns right next to it (Quonset, fishing cabins, Misantro). If I want to hunt them down there are million other better places too. All the indoor layouts are wrong too. You have places like Jackrabbit island which seem great on paper, but lack indoor stove and fireplace... sigh. The storage options are crappy too

Edited by Mistral
  • Upvote 4

I think my least favorite place for a long term stay would probably be Old Island Connector (a.k.a. Crumbling Highway).
It has a lot of wolves considering how small of a playable area there is.

Of course, it's certainly possible to say there for a long time and even consistently sneak around to slip by undetected (I did that the last time I mapped that region for my personal challenge), but it is my least favorite place to establish a long term encampment. 

:coffee::fire::coffee:

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 5

I hate The Riken in Desolation Point.  Everything about it - it's half sunk, so everything is on an angle, there is never any damn light in there, the exit is often into a bear's face.  It's the least cozy building in the whole game for me.  Yet, I come back again and again because for Stalker, and especially Loper, runs it is a great starting place and one of the easiest forges to use with nearby coal.  

Get in, get out, get the hell away.

• Upvote 2

I'd have to say my least favourite base is the Maintenance Yard in BR. The yard itself is infested with at least 2-3 wolves and they can be pretty well-hidden among all that clutter.

It's a good stopping point to get warmed up/restock before the trip to the Hunting Lodge but I just don't see any long term benefits in staying there unless you like eating wolf meat. I find the forge really redundant too since you're most likely to be already equipped with the bow and arrow before you even step into the wolf territory.

Edited by gotmilkanot

The buildings on Milton main street because of the lurking wolves. 

The lighthouse in DP because of it's inaccessibility and small stove. And creeping wolves.

I agree with above that the hunting lodge in BR is a great camp in a way, with stove and huge storage. But without any deer, cattails, fishing or nothing else to do it's more or less just a great building on an empty edge of the world. 

8 hours ago, Grogfoot said:

I hate The Riken in Desolation Point.

I agree with you, even though objectively it's a great place to live. You have a Forge, workbench nearby, plenty of resources (coal, metal, wood), enough food (bear, deer, wolves, rabbits, moose maybe). And the bear can be avoided by always exiting on the deck, where it's safe and you have great overview.

But it's such a dark and depressing place, and I need a cozier place to live. Maybe I will live in the lighthouse next time I'm in DP, which should be doable if you kill the two wolves that can be between the church and the lighthouse.

• Upvote 1

On 8/21/2020 at 1:01 AM, gotmilkanot said:

I'd have to say my least favourite base is the Maintenance Yard in BR. The yard itself is infested with at least 2-3 wolves and they can be pretty well-hidden among all that clutter.

I'd have to agree with this but it's also a tie with Quonset.  Both, purely because of the number of wolves.

9 hours ago, hozz1235 said:

What's wrong with the Hunter's Lodge? :)

I thought it was awesome the first time I saw it, in story mode back in the day. For reasons described above, it's a building designed as a solid main camp, with under-designed surroundings. It's not bad once you're able to eat predator meat from the 3 wolves and the bear you stealth-slay from above the cliff. I suppose adding a region past the broken bridge would make the hunter's lodge much more useful. Or at least a coal location to keep the forge up and running.

What do you like about it?

11 hours ago, hozz1235 said:

What's wrong with the Hunter's Lodge? :)

Until you can eat predator meat the place cuts me off from a good source of food, there are wolves right outside the door. If I need to leave the area AT ALL, I  have to go through a rope and a bear, or take a long walk with wolves waiting on the lake and around the maintenance shed. If I want to go further than that, theres a wolf that always sees (mostly smells) me by the train, and very little shelter from storms. Then I have to enter Forlorn Muskeg and hope its not foggy, or follow the train tracks to Even more wolves, just to get to Mystery Lake. 

Now imagine hauling several trips of gear to that corner of the map while avoiding all those obstacles... knowing if you ever want to leave for any reason (or hunting) you'll have to deal with it again.

When I start new games I start in that region just so I can pull everything out of there to Mystery Lake, and never return.

Also that Lodge is very dark at night and the main floor doesn't have much storage.

When you can eat predators it gets a little better since your food is always taken care of, but I've never been good at hitting the wolves when they strafe.

I don't know if it's my motionsickness acting up, but I'm not fond of the lighthouse in Desolation Point that much anymore. Something about the climbing in circles confuses my eyes. It's been mentioned, but I wish the stove was a little bigger, too. Not to mention, it's pretty far away from getting wood since there are many wolves that appear over the snow banks.

This is a tough question.  Do I go with utility in context with the rest of the world or just where I wouldn't want to be for 100 days straight? 

If it were usefulness- PV Three strikes homestead.  Far out in the back of a frigid map, far from transitions, and without an interior... no coal supply nearby, or a bed to sleep in.  Best you can say about it is the possible bear nearby and rabbits.  That said I like outdoor bases in general avoiding the transitions and better lighting at night.

If where I would hate to be for 100 days- BR maint shed.  It would be like groundhog day on an oil rig.  Large cluttered interior, to dark much of the time, and someone barking at you every time you open a door.

Edited by haft2doit

• 2 weeks later...

Well play a lot of interloper and have to go with the Farmhouse on Pleasant Valley because of the location along with the weather. There's an orchard with rows of trees that when walking you sometimes lose your place in a blizzard. The other problem you are kind in the middle of no where sure there is bunnies on either side but it's better just to stay in the barn by the road and scoot over to the farmhouse when you need to craft or get some more cloth. 

A close second goes to Spence Farmstead on Forlorn Muskeg because you need a permafire to stay there and there are too many wolves lurking around. 

I see folks don't like the Rikan but I beg to differ. I could stay there a long time on Loper if the wildlife spawn rate was better. The trouble on DP is once you thin the wolves and kill the bear and all available deer they don't spawn well enough to make it worthwhile staying. Some knocks on Hunting Lodge but never had a problem there because once the bear at the bottom of the rope is dead there's a nice safe cave nearby to ward off cabin fever. 

Gotta say the Riken myself. It’s dark, creepy, I generally just go in, forge stuff, and gtfo. For me on DP I like using the abandoned church as a base, I like outdoor bases and it’s pretty at night, the lighthouse is too remote for me.

Another I don’t care for is the hunters lodge. Nothing to eat but wolf. I can deal with that, except for they spawn by the door. I call the big one bitey😁

carter hydro dam is a big one for me, i absolutely cannot stand it.  i have not and will not ever set up a base here.  i loot it once and only come back if i really need to stock up on metal/cloth.  too big, too much junk, no proper place to sleep, too far to get out of the yard.  there isnt one redeeming quality i can think of.  i would stay in the basic trailers across the road before the dam

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, odium said:

carter hydro dam is a big one for me, i absolutely cannot stand it.  i have not and will not ever set up a base here.

Yeah it isn't a good spot.  Like many places in TLD, it looks good on paper, but it's just not a place I want to be.  I use it for storage as it's a good pit stop while going somewhere I want to be.  It has a some redeeming qualities (on paper) but they are too spread out for a proper base.  Also industrial locations tend to be rather depressing for me.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, haft2doit said:

Yeah it isn't a good spot.  Like many places in TLD, it looks good on paper, but it's just not a place I want to be.  I use it for storage as it's a good pit stop while going somewhere I want to be.  It has a some redeeming qualities (on paper) but they are too spread out for a proper base.  Also industrial locations tend to be rather depressing for me.

I too use the dam for main storage at the moment. Not because I plan on staying in ML for endgame, but I will wait and see what changes episode 4 will bring to Coastal Highway before I haul all my loot there. As you already know, loot go missing with updates at times. No reason to put all the eggs in one basket :)

Definitely Broken Railroad. The only real shelter there is the Hunting Lodge, and although it is quite convenient (rabbits just outside the door, stealth-kill the bear, moose in your front yard etc.) it gets incredibly boring very quickly. That happens with all shelters, of course, but other shelters have surroundings you can explore in day trips. BR is the end of the world. At least, for now it is. Right next to the Lodge, there are a few dark rocky cliffs that seem to beg for a cave system to be put there ... at least, that is what I hope ;)

Have you ever explored that collection of elevated paths across the fallen tree?  Past where that one always safe Dave is in the highland portion? They go to overlooks for all main points of the map...I like the challenge of the outdoor bed at the shed myself, and actually quite like BR for that reason. I’ll lure the wolves and run into the office, and shoot em with a bow when they’re at the door. It’s like TLD pizza delivery 😁

Tiff🦋