Your favorite "long-term" survival spot?

hozz1235

Mine:  my longest run is coming up on 1600 days on a very old Voyageur run (my original).  One feat activated.  Pretty much cleared all the maps.  Looking for someplace to hang my hat for a while.  After considering many places, I believe I've found my favorite:  BRR Hunter's Lodge.  This is why:

• A single wolf
  • Possible Moose spawn (near the lodge and near the lake)
  • Bear spawn (just below the rope climb so I can sniper him from safety then climb down to harvest him)
  • Consistent rabbit spawn (2-3 every day with 6-7 snares)
  • 6 burner stove
  • Workbench
  • Caves nearby (if necessary for Cabin Fever)
  • Plenty of deer down the rope climb
  • Upvote 4
  • Like 2

I am currently living in the area left to the rope to go up to start the puzzle in Bleak Inlet. I think it's something like a break/meal area. I like it because it doesn't get too cold, I can see the weather easily without a loading screen, 2 burner grate stove, lots of space for curing things and wolf meat. So much wolf meat. Is also a short trek away from the fishing huts and a possible moose spawn. Also the workshop is close, too. I do wish there was an easier way to get to it after we've visited it once, though.

I keep finding myself going back to this place. Of course, it was different in Winter's Embrace. I'd huddled down in the worker's residences just across the bridge. I missed my base so much.

Edited by JaySovereign
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, JaySovereign said:

I am currently living in the area left to the rope to go up to start the puzzle in Bleak Inlet. I think it's something like a break/meal area. I like it because it doesn't get too cold, I can see the weather easily without a loading screen, 2 burner grate stove, lots of space for curing things and wolf meat. So much wolf meat. Is also a short trek away from the fishing huts and a possible moose spawn. Also the workshop is close, too. I do wish there was an easier way to get to it after we've visited it once, though.

I keep finding myself going back to this place. Of course, it was different in Winter's Embrace. I'd huddled down in the worker's residences just across the bridge. I missed my base so much.

I considered bleak inlet (especially the area around the abandoned lighthouse - can't beat an outside 6-burner stove) but just couldn't stomach the Timberwolves.

The hunting lodge is a great spot as you describe it.  Not my first choice although the 6 burner stove does have tremendous appeal.  There's something about it though that doesn't sit well with me.  Maybe it's the immovable clutter in the upstairs bedrooms, but its more likely that it's because I  get the heeby jeebies when I have to go into the basement there.  

Hands down, I'd have to say the Mountaineer's Hut on Timberwolf Mt.   I know, no stove...  meets every one of your other bullet points plus offer local access to fishing!  
My second most favorite place is the Lighthouse in DP.  There's just something about living in a lighthouse. 🏩

• Upvote 2

On 2/6/2020 at 12:15 AM, ManicManiac said:

My favorite place to live is Timberwolf Mountain.  I really love the variety of paths and terrain, as well as the abundance of game for hunting (in most cases you have good access to every kind of pelt).  Also, fishing... fishing is always good for the food stocks and lanterns.

[Specifically the Mountaineer's Hut as a main encampment]
[also the area has good sources for gathering coal, considering two internal cave systems]

:coffee::fire::coffee:

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

If I'm in the mood for homesteading I like the northern area of Mountain Town, using the Church as a central hub.  Indoor campfire is nice plus there's a bed.  Good hunting in all directions with big stoves in the Milton House and the Farmhouse.  Also lots of car trunks around for meat lockers.  The north Trailer has a workbench and beds and is the jump off point for hunting trips to HRV.   No fishing, which is a problem for lamp oil supplies, but I like to take trips anyway, so Coastal Highway here I come! 😀  🐟🐟🐟  Back in a few weeks...

• Like 1

For me it is Bleak Inlet. No contest. The ammunition workbench and a milling machine       mean I am always headed there anyway.

There is more food, bear and moose particularly, than you could ever eat. Rabbits are plentiful. Once you get the lay of the land, you can always choose your ground to harvest timberwolves.

You can set up multiple camp fires for as many burners as you like in the Cannery break room.

From BI you can make sorties to BRR or wherever for smelting and resources. I recently went up to Mountain town to bring back some pots.

And for comfort, you can just walk along the shore from the Cannery to the Worker’s residences and there is as nice a cabin as you could hope for.

• Like 1

Camp office, easily... close by rabbit and deer spawning points, fishing cabin nearby (with easily avoidable wolfs unlike at CH), plenty of stick respawn points nearby, zero chance of moose or bear showing up when you come out of the door (and the ocassional single wolf never ventures right there either), decent storage opportunities, work bench, two inside stoves, good opportunities to avoid cabin fever (either in the back of the house safe from wind or in the nearby lookout cave), quick access to Forlorn and Forge and rest of the Western island, pretty good weather and so on. The aesthetics of the place also remind me of Gravity Falls

In addition I usually use Hydro dam as Site B and Trappers as Site C. Hydro is good for renewing Birch bark & deer from Ravine + scrap harvesting + general starting place for Eastern journeys, Trappers is good for cole and catching rabbits, maybe getting bear and moose.

As for bases on other maps when I'm there... CH it's the fishing huts and Quonset (don't really like either of those places but they're central), at PV the community hall and farmhouse, DP the lighthouse, TM the Mountaineers hut and deer clearing cave, Forlorn the forge, Broken Railroad the junkyard and hunting lodge (never really go to that map thou), Milton the grey mother house, HRV there's usually no base but just where I move to, Bleak maybe the cabin next to the fishing hut or the trailer closest to the Forlorn exit IDK it depends

Edited by Mistral
  • Like 1

I still prefer the Paradise Meadows farmhouse for a long-term place to live.  Mainly because I just like it.  Assuming it weren't falling apart and half boarded up, it's the kind of place I could see myself living.  The layout is simple, and it's easy to find your way even in the dark by using the windows as reference points.  Six burner stove, two more on the fireplace, two more in the fire barrel outside.  Outdoor workbench so crafting won't count towards cabin fever.  It can get a bit wolfy, but that's just what we call "target practice".  Hang onto those casings, and maybe once every other month make a trip to my vacation home in Bleak Inlet.  Clear out the cannery, reload those casings, pull up a few fish and leave them behind as provisions for next time.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 2

I think this depends a lot on playstyle. My interloper characters tend not to stay in the same point for a long time. Rather, I'm rotating around several maps for beach combing (BI + CH + OIC + DP), so for me, mobility and accessibility is the key. Beachcombing respawn frequency in interloper is around 10 days ~ 2 weeks as far as I know. So I try to rotate every 2 weeks. But sometimes when I get injured or not in good condition, then I skip the beach patrol and just spend some time around anywhere... Beach combing rotation prevents boredom at least some degree, but still boring. I wish to see more contents...

Anyway, here are my points. 

A. Fishing Camp and fishing hut(doored one) nearby Jackrabbit island in CH   

1) Very close from affluent fuel supply source (Cinder Hills mine to PV) 

2) Good fishing spot.

3) No worries about Cabin Fever. 

4) Beach combing rotation start point. 

5) Not that far from the furnace (Riken in DP)

B. Cave in Ravine. 

1) Ravine is hub point for travel in TLD IMO. You can access to many places from Ravine.

2) Very close from Carter Dam. I usually use Carter Dam as main logistics center, hoarding all crafting materials, repair materials, foods, and tools inside or around the Carter Dam.

3) No worries about Cabin Fever. When I need to craft a item which takes a long time, I spend 12 hrs crafting in Carter Dam, and sleep in Ravine Cave.  

4) You can still get some coals from Winding River cave to PV. Or you can bring some coals from Cinder Hills mine, it usually took a day travel. 

5) Not that far from the furnace (Old Spencer's in FM) 

6) Birch bark + tree limb supply source 

In your case, since your are playing Voyager, cannery residence hut in BI would be a good place to consider as a long term staying place. It will not terribly cold like interloper. You have 6 stove placed "outside (= 50% fire duration if air temperature is below -30 C)" with windproof from all sides, which brings the maximum fuel efficiency for cooking and water hoarding. You don't need to worry about damage to tools because the milling machine is right in front of the nose. Need more metal pieces? Carter Dam is not that far. You don't need to worry about Timberwolves because you can craft bullets as many as you want. Need more foods? Two fishing huts are very close. Cabin Fever? You can sleep in some "opened" Cannery buildings or in vehicles, and there is a cave in the island south of Cannery.  Gathering coals would be a bothering point, but in Voyager, you wouldn't need to worry too much about coldness, so it should be fine. In fact, even my interloper character sometimes stays in BI for 1~2 weeks once I go down there. 

Edited by sonics01
  • Like 1

I don't know what my favorite is , but i'll make a case for Spencer's Homestead as that is where ive been the last 31 days on stalker.

*Forge.

*Workbench.

*Doesn't count towards cabin fever.

*The wolves derp out around it, making easy targets for plenty of free meat, furs, and guts.

*Although you do need a fire most nights, your fires count as outdoor fires. i make my sleep schedule really early so that i'm always making use of the fire, instead of sleeping through it.

*Plenty of wood to gather nearby, plus the re-spawning coal in the nearby caves.

*Because of the mostly flat terrain, you can often choose how to engage hostile wildlife and rarely get surprised attacked.

*Rabbits at the shortwave tower with deer and a cave for curing in between, easy day trip.

*FM in general has an over abundance of plant supplies as well.

I could make a case for ML Camp Office as it does have a lot of pros, but i absolutely loath it's interior.

Edited by codfish107
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, codfish107 said:

*Although you do need a fire most nights, your fires count as outdoor fires. i make my sleep schedule really early so that i'm always making use of the fire, instead of sleeping through it.

It took me an embarrassingly long time to think of building an actual campfire next to the forge, instead of using the forge for heat.  Why settle for one cook surface when you can have two?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ajb1978 said:

It took me an embarrassingly long time to think of building an actual campfire next to the forge, instead of using the forge for heat.  Why settle for one cook surface when you can have two?

I honestly prefer campfires in general, i'll use them over any other two spot fire place as long as i don't have to worry about wind. I don't even bother lighting the forge unless i'm actually using it.

Edited by codfish107
  • Like 1

Quonset. Wolves don't bother me, there is a forge nearby in DP and coal along the way, nearby fishing huts to pass the cabin fever time, and I can get to BI through the ravine if I want to. Only drawback is the lack of a six burner stove. I just have a lot of affection for CH as it was my first map as a newbie.

• Like 3

On 8/12/2020 at 8:53 PM, codfish107 said:

I don't know what my favorite is , but i'll make a case for Spencer's Homestead as that is where ive been the last 31 days on stalker.

That Homestead is also one of my favorites too! I really enjoy playing the more rural maps in general. I know it gets a lot of crap, but I'm a big fan of HRV as well. It might not have been my longest stay in a spot, but there was a cave in NW edge of the map that I spent a long time in while I mapped the entire valley. Never made a camp in the Ice caves though, I enjoyed the thrill of still being out in the elements a bit, worried about the bear and wolves!

...man... This is a great game ❤️

• Like 2

If my profile picture doesn't already make it obvious enough, my favorite long term spots are bunkers

The best one in my opinion is the Clothing Bunker in Pleasant Valley. It's close to a Fishing Hut, a Deer, Rabbit and Bear spawn, safely distant from wolves, close to the Winding River cave, a short stroll from the Farmstead for a workbench, plenty of storage and super cozy. 

I admit that bunkers aren't necessarily the best spots for long term survival, I just love to live in them for the challenge and the "apocalypse" feeling I get from them. 

I'm currently living in the Clothing bunker in Mistery Lake and I'd say it is the second best one, but the best is the one in Pleasant Valley hands down.

3 hours ago, GarlicPops said:

If my profile picture doesn't already make it obvious enough, my favorite long term spots are bunkers

The best one in my opinion is the Clothing Bunker in Pleasant Valley. It's close to a Fishing Hut, a Deer, Rabbit and Bear spawn, safely distant from wolves, close to the Winding River cave, a short stroll from the Farmstead for a workbench, plenty of storage and super cozy. 

I admit that bunkers aren't necessarily the best spots for long term survival, I just love to live in them for the challenge and the "apocalypse" feeling I get from them. 

I'm currently living in the Clothing bunker in Mistery Lake and I'd say it is the second best one, but the best is the one in Pleasant Valley hands down.

I love finding the bunker as well.  Curious since you mentioned the clothing bunker in PV and ML,  did you locate both bunkers in the same game and were they both the same bunker?  

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, Gracia_WolfSlayer said:

I'm a big fan of HRV as well. It might not have been my longest stay in a spot, but there was a cave in NW edge of the map that I spent a long time in while I mapped the entire valley. Never made a camp in the Ice caves though, I enjoyed the thrill of still being out in the elements a bit, worried about the bear and wolves!

...man... This is a great game ❤️

Indeed it is.  🙂:coffee:

I like to think of HRV as a big reserve of provisions. That's why I like north MT so much.  North PV has a similarly abundant region adjacent to it, but less in the way of useful structures.   A walk up from Thomson's Crossing with a rest at the base of the rope climb isn't too bad tho.  Or a more cross country route from the Barn can be fun. 

Edited by Screenshot Pilgrim

On 8/14/2020 at 7:44 PM, hozz1235 said:

Where do you cure hides at?

There's a small cave about the same distance on either side of the homestead, one next to the fallen shortwave tower and another right before the BI transition cave. I use the 2nd one as it's on the way to the Muskeg overlook where there's rabbit and deer. 

On 8/15/2020 at 12:39 PM, Screenshot Pilgrim said:

I'm a big fan of HRV as well.

Haven't done much in HRV yet. It and BI are going to be the last two regions i map on my long term stalker game and I've only done two independent spawns in it.

6 hours ago, codfish107 said:

Haven't done much in HRV yet. It and BI are going to be the last two regions i map on my long term stalker game and I've only done two independent spawns in it.

Well, there will no doubt be many wolves there on stalker.  Even on other settings they are widespread.  I like how the forests in HRV tend to be denser than other regions.  Wolves can surprise you sometimes, but it goes both ways.  I've been able to get more than a few wolves as they hunt deer and rabbits, which are also plentiful.   

ps.  That's interesting about the southern part of the Muskeg.  Hadn't really thought about staying there long, but the openness, especially on clear days, is intriguing.  It's also quite worth it to learn the safe paths across the middle.  The fog and the bears can often make that a fun time.

Edited by Screenshot Pilgrim
  • Upvote 1