Your LEAST favorite base location.

codfish107

I don’t think the Farmhouse in PV is bad at all. I recently stayed more than 100 days, because I needed to complete the Blizzard Walker Badge. 

There are multiple pluses:

- nearby rabbit grove at the barn

- regular bear (played on Stalker, bear re-spawned every 20-25 days)

- plenty of deer and wolves

- stove makes cooking meat efficient

- easy to navigate and avoid wildlife

- you can sleep on the patio or in the nearby open barn to stave off cabin fever. Fires inside are pretty well protected during blizzards - but not guaranteed to not get blown out.

Overall, it’s a pretty great long-term place.

-t

• Upvote 1

I don’t think the Farmhouse in PV is bad at all. I recently stayed more than 100 days, because I needed to complete the Blizzard Walker Badge. 

There are multiple pluses:

- nearby rabbit grove at the barn

- regular bear (played on Stalker, bear re-spawned every 20-25 days)

- plenty of deer and wolves

- stove makes cooking meat efficient

- easy to navigate and avoid wildlife

- you can sleep on the patio or in the nearby open barn to stave off cabin fever. Fires inside are pretty well protected during blizzards - but not guaranteed to not get blown out.

Overall, it’s a pretty great long-term place.

-t

Least favorite, I'd have to say Spence.  It does have some advantages, like being able to shoot wolves from safety and being at zero risk for cabin fever, but I think that little outdoor office at the BR maintenance shed beats it out.  Better storage, wolf meat delivery right to your doorstep, easy access to a warm interior location if a blizzard pops up in the middle of the night.

• 2 weeks later...

I dislike the infamous dam in ML and the Maintenance area in BR.

Reasons for hating the dam:

It's freezing

It's dark

It takes over an hour to loot the place fully. 

It just gives me the creeps

It's slightly boring. 

The maintenance area is disliked due to:

Lack of lighting

Nearby wolf spawn

Pretty bare even on Voyager and Pilgrim

Time consuming

There are a few others, but those are my two least favourites

I tend to not like the industrial areas as places to live. Places to loot or to do some of the necessary jobs (koff koff "arrowheads"), sure, they're great, but as places to live I don't like the industrial vibe.

Forest Cave (near the Pensive Pond) in PV is a great spot, very pleasant.

• Upvote 1

Guest jeffpeng

Well I guess for several obvious reasons pretty much every place in Bleak Inlet is pretty much the worst place to be. The fact it hasn't popped up here yet makes me wonder if anyone even goes there.

21 minutes ago, jeffpeng said:

Well I guess for several obvious reasons pretty much every place in Bleak Inlet is pretty much the worst place to be. The fact it hasn't popped up here yet makes me wonder if anyone even goes there.

My long run guy spent a few months there. There are a few decent places to live up in there; the Cannery Worker's cabin is one, the cottage up the valley from it is another. BI is all right if you're on that side of the promontory, but if you're in the Frozen Delta it's a hard scrabble existence... but that said I spent nearly two months in it and it's totally a doable place. One thing that's great about the Frozen Delta is that it appears to have crazy moose respawn times. 

Key to dealing with the timber wolves in the Delta is to have meat to use to bring 'em to you while you hang out in the blinds. Stay crouched and keep your eye out the door; they'll come sniffing around but if you're crouched you won't aggro them and they'll just circle around. When they walk by the door is when you want to stick an arrow into 'em. You can break the two to four packs on the Delta in a few days using this technique at which point travelling around that part of the map becomes much much safer.

Oh, also, if you stick to the "outside edge" of the map while travelling around the delta you'll be able to avoid almost all of the wolves.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

@stratvox  Thanks for sharing your Frozen Delta strategy. Haven’t tried that one yet, but it sounds like fun.  

I go to Bleak Inlet with most of my guys just because I think it’s visually interesting and a bit different. Getting torn to pieces sometimes isn’t all that bad. 🙃

Edited by Screenshot Pilgrim

Another +1 for Bleak Inlet. I spent a month in-game there recently on interloper. If it weren't for the damn wind, the cannery workers residence would probably be one of my favorite bases.

My least favorite is probably BRR. As others have mentioned, the maintenance yard is no fun, and I don't like the hunting lodge much either. There are a couple of caves there that I much prefer to either of those spots in BRR.

I would say Broken Railroad from the regions I have gone to.  I am thinking of heading to Forlorn Muskeg and then Bleak Inlet from there.  The Trapper Homestead and Camp Lodge are my main base. My Supplies are split between, and I have supplies at Old Spence's place. The Camp Office is more for gathering fish and a pit stop to gather or drop off. Old Spence is for using the Forge and BR is too far out for me at the moment. I will be lugging supplies back from there to keep in ML for now.

• 3 years later...
55 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

Grey mothers in Milton...  I'm not a fan of mountain town anyway but the place just feels kind of dark and depressing..

It's a shame as it has plenty of storage ,plus  a 6 burner .

Leeanda, I certainly second your opinion about Grey mothers.  My issues are the lack of deer and too many wolves.  Any time I have tried setting up a base at Grey  Mothers I invariably run short of food.   In comparison the Trailer beyond the church on the way to Spruce Falls Bridge represents a safe place for me with ready access to rabbit, deer and the periodic moose.  Adequate site distance thereabouts let me avoid wolves.

A location I loathe as a base is Quonset and its surrounding town site structures.  The roaming bears and wolves make that area too dangerous in my opinion.  For me that entire town site is a loot and leave location.

Broken Railroad's Hunting Lodge lacks sufficient food for a long stay. Anything I find of value at that location, and everywhere else in Broken Railroad, I stockpile at the Maintenance Yard. With a bit of patience I find that I can kill the wolves that infest the Maintenance Yard every few days from the safety of the windows and door.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/24/2020 at 2:13 PM, ajb1978 said:

Least favorite, I'd have to say Spence.  It does have some advantages, like being able to shoot wolves from safety and being at zero risk for cabin fever, but I think that little outdoor office at the BR maintenance shed beats it out. 

With the new nearby bunker next to Spence's, the location has become much better.

Main advantage over BR - plenty of coal nearby in cave to BI.

-t

Three years later...

I can still confidently say that my least favorite place to live long term is Old Island Connector (a.k.a. Crumbling Highway).
A close second is Broken Railroad (no particular reason really, it's a fine region... I just don't enjoy staying there for an extended period of time).

:coffee::fire::coffee:
[Granted that I've not been to the Far Territories... yet]

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, hozz1235 said:

Naw, just areas I loot/get my business done and leave.

I can understand that in BlackRock.. bricklayers is a good place on pilgrim but pretty much surrounded by everything on the other levels..

Not many fans of BlackRock or bleak overall though... 

5 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

I can understand that in BlackRock.. bricklayers is a good place on pilgrim but pretty much surrounded by everything on the other levels..

Not many fans of BlackRock or bleak overall though... 

I actually really like BI (when there are no TWs!).  BR is just so far out there...

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, hozz1235 said:

I actually really like BI (when there are no TWs!).  BR is just so far out there...

I like bleak too.. my only issue with the twolves is,or was the yapping,but now they seem to be eerily quiet...  

The trek through keepers is rather too long ,I've started going through twm instead..  plus I really like that transition cave.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...