June Dev Diary

Admin

4t0CAshQ.thumb.jpeg.83b88ba24088918648e5a0a14a392320.jpeg

Hello Survivors!

We wanted to update you all and let you know that TALES FROM THE FAR TERRITORY, Part Three is getting close to launch. We are in our final stages of testing, tuning and bug fixing, so expect a launch toward the end of June.

Below, you’ll find more information about what content will be in Part Three of TALES FROM THE FAR TERRITORY, along with what to look forward to in the base Survival Mode’s free June Update.

TALES FROM THE FAR TERRITORY

Frontier Cooking

1-Cooking-System-1.thumb.png.d646dacb125d8f8defba1cde5864cd16.png

One of the big additions in Part Three is a new feature called Frontier Cooking. We’ve added seven new ingredients to the game, and now with Recipes you can cook more complicated foods that involve multiple ingredients -- things like Rabbit Stew, Fish Pies, and so on. The Frontier Cooking system is launching with 15 Recipes, as well as 9 Unique recipes that can be found in the world. We’re also adding a Skillet to enable new cooking options, and completely overhauled the Cooking user interface.

2-Cooking-System-UI.thumb.png.ef10ae1db48e37c2e5076f1a904ddfe4.png

All of these new items will appear in existing TALES save games, and we have also done a careful pass over the placement and frequency of new food items to ensure game balance is preserved for Interloper players. 

Good luck, Survivors! 

Ptarmigan

3-Ptarmigan.thumb.png.90eb8bc12d16f3fb4edd6a8b57768659.png

The little Ptarmigan is the new wildlife we’ve added in Part Three. They can be found in most regions, but prefer more remote, higher ground. You can, of course, hunt them for meat, but you’ll also be able to collect their down, which you can utilize in a couple of new crafting recipes.

Tool Variants

4-Tool-Variants-Revolver.thumb.png.5b0d586b7f9dae707bea018fae1ffc2e.png

We’ve also added three new Revolver variants, another Bow variant, and an alternate Flashlight. Each of these items has a unique look and some stat differences from their basic counterparts.

All of these items, and the ones relating to cooking, will all be available in new or existing save games.

FREE UPDATE

For our base game Survival Update, we’ve added and updated a few elements.

We've overhauled the Fishing system to provide more freedom around where you can fish, as well as adding some new species and giving you some new tools for catching and maintaining your fishing options. This is the first major overhaul of the Fishing system since we added it years ago, and it's one of the systems the community has been asking us to revise for a while, so we're excited to see what you think of the changes that are coming.

5-Fishing-System.thumb.png.aba4ecf6034aebc8997ced52db6425ac.png

6-Fishing-System-Lure.thumb.png.4ee38243007fdf927574bf0f452a22ba.png

And finally, as you explore the regions, you’ll come across a new type of harvestable plant – Burdock. You’ll need a tool to dig its root out, but the root can then be eaten raw or cooked up into a recipe for calories, or made into a warming tea. 

That’s it for now, Survivors. We will share the full update list containing details on new Paid and Free content, along with any game improvements and bug fixes, in the release notes when we launch TALES FROM THE FAR TERRITORY, Part Three. 

For all other technical issues, please reach out via our Support Portal.

Thank you for reading, and good luck exploring the new content when it launches later this month!

• Upvote 15
  • Like 24

Thank you, Hinterland.
I'm looking forward to seeing how all of these things will meld with the existing survival experience.

A tip-up?  I think that's wonderful news (it's one of the few things that has been on my own wishlist for several years).  Thank you again, just for that. 🤭

:coffee::fire::coffee:
giphy.gif.c347b3a700b700eaa9850e96f3225b37.gif (300×276)

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Looking forward to the cooking and fishing changes. Really glad to see they are adding it to current saves.

Item variants are neat, but I don't feel like they add much.

I'm pretty excited to both see what new craftables are available and for the game's first birds you can actually hunt.

• Like 1

Wow guys, two new systems AND new plants and animals!? That’s fantastic news. There’s so much cool stuff with this update, I was wondering about next region but to be honest now I don’t even care I cant wait to cook! I’ve been saving ingredients this whole run!

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Kayosiv said:

Looking forward to the cooking and fishing changes. Really glad to see they are adding it to current saves.

Item variants are neat, but I don't feel like they add much.

I'm pretty excited to both see what new craftables are available and for the game's first birds you can actually hunt.

I don’t think it would be appropriate to have the variants massively change gameplay but the little tweaks I do like, the curators better range and how barbs has a point tip sight and the extra long burn on the spelunkers are nice modifiers that don’t advantage the player into needing to chase them outside of collecting Addicts like me lol, I wouldn’t mind seeing jerimiahs knife making a comeback I really liked the art for it 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

This update is fantastic! The fact that there are two major systems being revamped, lots of new items, new prey, and new things to explore the world for makes this a rather significant update.

Very much look forward to this update and how it will hopefully change the way I approach the game!

• Upvote 1

I can't wait! The cooking and ptarmigan are 2 of the things I'm most excited for. Besides the other regions and the cougar. Everything else is a bonus for me. Glad to see fishing is getting some love finally! 

• Like 1

I'm so excited for all of this! The Revolver is low key my favorite every day carry, 1 shot can feed me for a month with a bear, so the variants are much appreciated here. I also very much enjoy cooking in real life, so having good cooking mechanics in game is going to make me super happy. I however don't love fishing as it is right now, so I'm hoping the top up works somewhat like a snare, set and partially forget type of thing. I know it's not coming yet, but base customisation is what I'm looking forward to most, so hopefully more news on that and the cougar soon. 

Keep up the good work, Hinterland, you're all doing excellent work.

• Upvote 1

Im excited for the fishing overhaul. I was asking for this a few times. 

Also is the tool to dig up burdock gonna be some new kind of tool or hatchet will suffice? 

Im excited to get back to TLD (playing Diablo 4 since june 2 non stop.......) I got a big base set up in FA on my Astrid run loaded with coal that i hauled with 50 kg overweight... ugh was a loooooooooooong trek hahaha 

William is waiting in Bleak Inlet in his fishing hut base.

Oh my gosh, I'm so excited! This stuff looks AWESOME! My birthday was just two days ago and I'm gonna consider this a bonus present!

Also going to be saving up whatever peaches I have left, just in case ;)

I have a question about this update: 
I'm on my way to Forsaken Airfield after looting the last place left: Blackrock. I've looted all the regions in Day 200 and the new expansion is coming.

Will I be able to find the new loot in the looted regions when I go back there? (flour, oil, new revolver types etc?) or Should I start a new game? Should the people who have started their long runs be worried that they'll find nothing? What is your plan on the existing runs? 

Thanks in advance for the answer, the new additions are awesome btw 

• Upvote 1

Superb stuff, and not just cos I have 4 days' leave booked for the end of June...😊

I also have a skillet similar to that design, I think we need another recipe challenge!

Fish pie implies potato- some sort of smash, perhaps?  Talking of fish, can any anglers out there identify the new species in the photo?

If we are getting burdock, does that mean dandelions are coming in a future update?! 

6 hours ago, MattD said:

I can't wait! The cooking and ptarmigan are 2 of the things I'm most excited for. Besides the other regions and the cougar. Everything else is a bonus for me. Glad to see fishing is getting some love finally! 

I’m really hoping that the travios and thermos are part of update 4 with a new region, between the pot, frying pan, and all the ingredients my pack will be seam busting and my back will be sore 😂

• Upvote 1

Taking the time to write my thanks : this update seems to me totally aligned with what you gave us until now, I really look forward playing with the 2 new systems and discovering new items and plants ! Simply, you're great, and again, take all the time you need to deliver your quality ;)