June Dev Diary

Admin

Looks great, thanks for the hard work. I'm a bit worried, that the balance of the game could shift or it feels like somethings missing besides the new features. But I also think, it won't last long, if that's the case. Not only does HL love this game, but the amount of openness to voices from the community is unbelievable!

12 hours ago, Serenity said:

Does that mean we can fish in regions that don't have any fishing huts at all?

Honestly... I really hope it's not a "fish anywhere ya wanna" situation.  I think that might skew some of the very careful balance that each region had.

Specifically I mean that before this update... there was no one spot that had ready access to every feature - every place had a bit of a drawback or something lacking that kept there from being any one spot that was obviously and objectively better than everywhere else.  It meant that where we wanted to set up a primary encampment was more about our playstyle.

Don't get me wrong, we will just have to wait and see what the expanded system really means... and how it will meld with our existing survival experience.

:coffee::fire::coffee:

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 3

13 hours ago, Kayosiv said:

Item variants are neat, but I don't feel like they add much.

Let's wait to see what they offer before we draw any conclusions :)

7 hours ago, Vinceofpyrenees said:

I really hope for a good AI for Ptarmigans, and not only meat bags.

If they're anything like some of their other Grouse cousins, you could hit them with a rock!  We don't have a shotgun (currently) so it will be interesting on how they will be hunted.

4 hours ago, yollarbenibekler said:

Will I be able to find the new loot in the looted regions when I go back there? (flour, oil, new revolver types etc?) or Should I start a new game? Should the people who have started their long runs be worried that they'll find nothing? What is your plan on the existing runs?

This is a concern which I have brought up before also.  Admin essentially said that the new regions (when they come) will provide an opportunity to get these items.  In the last update, there were some new loose items laying about but I had to start a new game to find the hockey jersey for example.  In my experience, most are found in containers and once they're looted, that's it.  One drawback to having incremental updates vs one large one - if you really want to take advantage of ALL the loot the update offers, you need to start a new game.

I'm with all the previous posts in the excitement and anticipation!!

Edited by hozz1235
  • Upvote 2

OMG! I’m so very excited!

(I’d guess those prematurely rushing for a refund for the dlc might quickly reconsider…)

Cannot wait to try the new thingies - thank you very much Hinterland!

Edited by AdamvR

This looks great. Looking forward to it!

Hoping  this will address some of the stability issues I've been experiencing in the linux version.... but besides all that this looks like a really great update, and I can hardly wait to fire it up.

7 hours ago, James Hickok said:

Also is the tool to dig up burdock gonna be some new kind of tool or hatchet will suffice? 

Hmm, wasn't there a shovel somewhere in the world that couldn't be picked up? I feel like maybe there was one as decoration in Wintermute. Maybe we'll get a shovel in this update too... but not sure what other use it would be good for. 

• Upvote 1

Love it! Thanks for sharing the good news!

I've been taking a break from the game the past couple months, so I'm very excited to play with the new features. Hopefully we can hunt Ptarmigan using the fire hardened arrows, the overhauled fishing is also another exciting addition. Can't wait!

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Serenity said:

Does that mean we can fish in regions that don't have any fishing huts at all? Such as lakes in Hushed River Valley or Blackrock?

As long as the water is sufficiently deep, yes! We'll share more information in the Update Video when Part Three launches later this month. 

• Upvote 7

10 hours ago, yollarbenibekler said:

I have a question about this update: 
I'm on my way to Forsaken Airfield after looting the last place left: Blackrock. I've looted all the regions in Day 200 and the new expansion is coming.

Will I be able to find the new loot in the looted regions when I go back there? (flour, oil, new revolver types etc?) or Should I start a new game? Should the people who have started their long runs be worried that they'll find nothing? What is your plan on the existing runs? 

Thanks in advance for the answer, the new additions are awesome btw 

You won't need to start a new game to access the new content. Good luck, Survivor! 

• Upvote 5

4 hours ago, Admin said:

You won't need to start a new game to access the new content. Good luck, Survivor! 

I do have a question for this though. For the last update I had things stored in the lockers in the Preppers Abandoned Cache in Plesant Valley. Those items were lost during the update due to things being moved around in that room. Is there a risk of other items being lost due to things moving like that? If so, any chance of the areas where that might happen? It really hurt losing all of that stuff on my interloper run.

16 hours ago, Glacia said:

More freedom about fishing spots it's very interesting, it opens a lot of new gameplay styles!

True, but we will lose the warmth of a nearby stove and the walls of the fishing hut so I'm guessing we will have to be MUCH more cautious while fishing out on the open ice (this is assuming we still cannot make fires on the ice).  I see it almost as, "I'm starving to death and if I don't eat something SOON, I will die.  Sushi!!" 

I'm still going to try it, but for my serious fishing trips, I'll be sticking to the huts.

On 6/13/2023 at 2:43 PM, ManicManiac said:
On 6/13/2023 at 2:40 AM, Serenity said:

Does that mean we can fish in regions that don't have any fishing huts at all?

Honestly... I really hope it's not a "fish anywhere ya wanna" situation.  I think that might skew some of the very careful balance that each region had.

I think it does not matter much whether you can fish anywhere where is deep water. Lets imagine. You prepare your fire to not freeze your butt off. Start fishing and blamo, fire is out. It will not happen in the fishing shed.

• Upvote 1

@acada

Fair enough.  As I said, my concern was for the balancing of the locations themselves.  But I also acknowledged that I have to wait and see what expanded system really means, and how it will impact how we survive on Great Bear Island.

So far, there have only been a few rare things that Hinterland has added or changed that haven't liked.  For those very few things I haven't cared for... I just exercise player choice rather than wanting to take gameplay options away from others by asking Hinterland to change the game.

In other words, those things that I don't like, I just don't make use of... or just outright ignore (in the case of a mechanic or feature rather than an item).

:coffee::fire::coffee:
No matter what, I will always be accepting of whatever decisions Hinterland makes for their game (I mean that's just good sense and respectful, I think)... and I'm going to love this game either way.  Hinterland would have to do something pretty egregious to change my frame of mind on that.

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

Yeah, I think the fishing is balanced well enough. Really, a lot of time I'm fishing it's through blizzards and the whole night. Especially on Interloper where you have to fish a lot longer due to the lower spawn rate. So constantly having to worry about the weather really makes it less overpowered than it may seem.

And "deep enough" hopefully means that you can fish in large lakes, but not small ones and not on every small river. And probably not in Forlorn Muskeg.

19 minutes ago, Laika Ivanova said:

One question: Is the bow variant going to be on Interloper? I haven't seen this being answered, but please point it out if I missed it.

Seeing as how the Woodwright's does not, I doubt it, but we'll see.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Laika Ivanova said:

One question: Is the bow variant going to be on Interloper? I haven't seen this being answered, but please point it out if I missed it.

Would be nice to be able to craft the variants at level 5 archery. At that point it really doesn't matter for the difficulty to have something that's a little bit better

Edited by Serenity
  • Upvote 1