TALES FROM THE FAR TERRITORY, PART FOUR IS HERE!

Admin

The absolute joy of not knowing a region, taking an established run there anyway, falling off the side of a cliff trying a path that looked goat worthy and ending your run. Wonderful new region!!!! Thank you Dev team!!!!!! Oh how I've missed the completely lost feeling this region gives. I haven't felt lost in the game in so long. Best feeling ever!!!! Thank you Hinterland, I can not wait to see what's coming in the future. Have a wonderful break when y'all get there. You deserve it!!!! Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

• Upvote 7

I can't really report this as a bug, but I'm just saying that I didn't know when I paid for the DLC that the new regions would be worse than Bleak, worse than Blackrock, etc for survival. 

Harsh I like, but the problem is we don't get the Survival risk/reward. We get great risk at high difficulty levels for no reward at that difficulty level.

Give us a climbing sock or a second pair of underwear, a tin of coffee or a lantern that is slightly more efficient. Something for risking a long run with many hours spent. Especially for dealing with the action parts in a game designed to be as non-action and harsh sim as you can get. Please don't specifically remove Flare Shells for the only group of players that have to depend on them for long runs and spend much greater resources to get to them, unless you specifically want to alienate us and would rather see us gone.

As an idea you could remove any and all slots for mapping items such as spray cans on these higher difficulties to make room. They seem plentiful indeed.

Please think of something that would be worth it for us, even if we are not the majority. As players learn, they could soon be and chime in with me.

Edited by Gun Tech.
  • Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Gun Tech. said:

I can't really report this as a bug, but I'm just saying that I didn't know when I paid for the DLC that the new regions would be worse than Bleak, worse than Blackrock, etc for survival.

I can confirm that it's tough going for an interloper in the new zone.  The supply of deer is meager, and the usual meal ticket, wolves, is poisoned.  There's some lootable snacks, rabbits, and cattails, but other than that not much.  There is one bear (at least) that I found that it looks like I'm going to have to kill to stay for a while in that region.

By the way, that bear decided to come right into the cave I was sleeping in, despite the fact that I had absolutely no meat, and no uncured hides or guts.  Maybe HL made it part of his patrol route.  Lucky I was hiding in the back, because he left without attacking.

15 hours ago, Laika Ivanova said:

According to some people on our server, Scurvy only does 1% condition damage per hour. If that is true it is almost laughable that it isn't part of existing saves already, especially not for long save players that clearly know how to play around these things. 

In my custom survival, 1% condition damage per hour is nothing to sniff at, considering I have it set to zero condition recovery during the day, and very low recovery during rest.

I can see how a player in any of the other game modes could simply hand-wave it away. Perhaps it was an error on Hinterland's part; perhaps it is supposed to reduce your maximum condition by 1% per hour until cured, or you die?

Such an effect would mean death in a little over 4 days if left untreated.

Edited by GothSkunk

I'm curious if we can eat poisoned wolves too if we are level 5 at cooking. I wouldn't be surprised if it also allowed that, considering how broken cooking level 5 already is. Does anyone know about this?

On this note, does anyone else think cooking level 5 should be nerfed? I feel like all my survival runs are always split into 2 parts, before cooking level 5, and after. It becomes a completely new and easier game afterwards. Also, I find it really unrealistic that you can eat literally anything just because you became a better cook, even if the food is not even cooked. Would be much better if it reduced the chances of getting parasites or food poisoning instead.

For every new feature and bug fix included in this release, thank you Hinterland.

Edited by Ludwig_II

23 minutes ago, Ludwig_II said:

I'm curious if we can eat poisoned wolves too if we are level 5 at cooking. I wouldn't be surprised if it also allowed that, considering how broken cooking level 5 already is. Does anyone know about this?

On this note, does anyone else think cooking level 5 should be nerfed? I feel like all my survival runs are always split into 2 parts, before cooking level 5, and after. It becomes a completely new and easier game afterwards. Also, I find it really unrealistic that you can eat literally anything just because you became a better cook, even if the food is not even cooked. Would be much better if it reduced the chances of getting parasites or food poisoning instead.

For every new feature and bug fix included in this release, thank you Hinterland.

I would love it, when the food items would give the condition percentage of the original nutrition value. And maybe meat lying around getting eaten by predators. At the moment it is possible to cook at several hunting sites and return months later to feast on ruined meat with cooking level 5.

12 hours ago, SlippedGear said:

5:01 in the video, I spy with my little eye Jerimiah's knife!!! Please tell me it has been added to Survival, although I did not see it listed in the new features.

I wouldn't be surprised HL is using unofficial mods cause those (Jeremiah Knife and Candles) exist by those mods. :P

Also not a bug in itself, but the POV moving so rapidly in the harvesting animations is annoying me very much.
Even the "dampen camera motion" in the accessability options is not helping with that.
The animations could have some variations, too.

Edited by mfuegemann
  • Upvote 1

OK The new harvesting animation is great. But I do miss the circle showing how far I am. I know many detest the microharvesting. But I use it in early game to cut 200 grams steak. Because early I am poor chef and I want to be able to train on smaller steaks.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, I_eat_only_wolf_meat said:

I can confirm that it's tough going for an interloper in the new zone.  The supply of deer is meager, and the usual meal ticket, wolves, is poisoned.  There's some lootable snacks, rabbits, and cattails, but other than that not much.  There is one bear (at least) that I found that it looks like I'm going to have to kill to stay for a while in that region.

By the way, that bear decided to come right into the cave I was sleeping in, despite the fact that I had absolutely no meat, and no uncured hides or guts.  Maybe HL made it part of his patrol route.  Lucky I was hiding in the back, because he left without attacking.

I went in there with my Loper save. It's easy enough if you go in with a plan. 

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, UpUpAway95 said:

I don't think they have to worry too much about whether each option in the Custom Menu is "balanced" with the other options.  The idea is to let the player create whatever "imbalance" they prefer while deviating from the standardized balance used by the devs in the standard difficulty settings and see what happens. 

Of course you are totally right about this. And I’ve met the same reasoning from many developers irl. One thing I usually say in such situations is that even if it is the client’s / user’s fault what situation they get to, they might in the end blame the developer, hurting its brand. (Of course this is purely theoretical, such a thing would never happen in the TLD community… 😉) So while it is not always the most popular standpoint, I do usually suggest at least some effort invested in avoiding that to some extent. Foolproofing is a word 😉

I’ve just assumed (based on prior experience) that HL might follow a similar practice, but of course it is only my thought, and am not working there.

just wanted to highlight with my previous post, that making all newly added / updated mechanism individually selectable could be a lot more complex task, than it may seem from the outside.

Edited by AdamvR
  • Upvote 1

Just now, AdamvR said:

Of course you are totally right about this. And I’ve met the same reasoning from many developers irl. One thing I usually say in such situations is that even if it is the client’s / user’s fault what situation they get to, they might in the end blame the developer, hurting its brand. (Of course this is purely theoretical, such a thing would never happen in the TLD community… 😉) So while it is not always the most popular standpoint, I do usually suggest at least some effort invested in avoiding that to some extent. Foolproofing is a word 😉

I’ve just assumed (based on prior experience) that HL might follow a similar practice, but of course it is only my thought, and am not working there.

One can easily spend far too much effort in try to "fool proof" something regardless of the circumstance.  Too much fool proofing hampers creativity as well.  We don't all march to a single drum though history has often tried to make us do so.

Just now, UpUpAway95 said:

One can easily spend far too much effort in try to "fool proof" something regardless of the circumstance.  Too much fool proofing hampers creativity as well.  We don't all march to a single drum though history has often tried to make us do so.

That is true too. Hence my use of wording ‘some effort’:)

13 minutes ago, AdamvR said:

That is true too. Hence my use of wording ‘some effort’:)

Back, sort of, on topic.  I don't think anyone asking for the custom menu to be updated is asking for every single feature to have a toggle.   My own is encouraging "as many toggles as possible."  I fully expect there are limitations to the size this menu can be and what, in game, it can be allowed to control.  As I said before though, it's been a number of years since it's been changed at all.  It REALLY needs some love.

Edited by UpUpAway95
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, UpUpAway95 said:

Back, sort of, on topic.  I don't think anyone asking for the custom menu to be updated is asking for every single feature to have a toggle.   My own is encouraging "as many toggles as possible."  I fully expect there are limitations to the size this menu can be and what, in game, it can be allowed to control.  As I said before though, it's been a number of years since it's been changed at all.  It REALLY needs some love.

Oh that. I was primarily referring to the suggestions that the additions and changed mechanics should all be user-selectable whether they want it in their old saves or not.

I agree that some of the additions could make their way into the custom settings. Such as glimmer fog to be changeable to simple fog (without the electrostatic effect) for those who have trouble from the blinking. I’d expect it would also get updated at the latest once the majority of the releases are out.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, AdamvR said:

Oh that. I was primarily referring to the suggestions that the additions and changed mechanics should all be user-selectable whether they want it in their old saves or not.

I agree that some of the additions could make their way into the custom settings. Such as glimmer fog to be changeable to simple fog (without the electrostatic effect) for those who have trouble from the blinking. I’d expect it would also get updated at the latest once the majority of the releases are out.

I still don't think they were thinking about "all" when suggesting that - something like scurvy (which was intentionally left out by the devs on older saves) should have had an "opt in" option for older saves - not that I would have selected it.  I don't think an option to opt in or out of the harvesting animations is feasible, short of playing the older version (which is not an option available on console, AFAIK).  Scurvy is also not active in all difficulty settings, which means a toggle could easily have been added to custom to turn it on or off (as they've done with other afflictions).  That wouldn't have solved anything for older saves, since custom options can only be set at the start of a new save.  Although I've requested an option to change "difficulty" related settings mid-game (mostly to allow for increasing difficulty after the player is somewhat established and to help alleviate late game boredom), HL has never even remotely entertained that idea.

Edited by UpUpAway95

4 hours ago, Ludwig_II said:

You cannot.  Poisoned wolves show as having 0 meat.

• Upvote 1

On 12/6/2023 at 3:08 AM, Leeanda said:

I'm surprised to note that glimmer fog is also at the mine.. 

I was really looking forward to exploring more,but I guess I can't go to stone pass when it comes out either...

@Admin  any news on this in the accessibility settings?

I was thinking about you when the GF first hit me in ZoC.  That really has to suck, @Leeanda :(

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, hozz1235 said:

I was thinking about you when the GF first hit me in ZoC.  That really has to suck, @Leeanda :(

It does a bit if I'm honest... I thought it was just a forsaken special thing not all of them...   I can but hope for it in the settings.

I was enjoying myself in that toxic gas😁

Edited by Leeanda
  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1