TALES FROM THE FAR TERRITORY, PART FOUR IS HERE!

Admin

3 hours ago, Laika Ivanova said:

I went in there with my Loper save. It's easy enough if you go in with a plan. 

Yeah. I still have to figure out finding a cave that's close to some good hunting. But it's not as hard is it looks once you figure out the basics. And the temperatures are relatively mild in the late afternoon and evenings. That allows longer trips like getting all that cat tail in the river.

The chemical pollution isn't really an issue as the buildup goes down very quickly. The more aggressive wolves are a nice change, but manageable.

I did notice the lack of flare shells starting in the last update though. I'm all for changing up the flare gun cases and making things more random. But I found several guns and basically no shells. ZoC has basically a full case of shells.

Edited by Serenity

The new zone is cool, but as said before, there should be something in there that's worth taking NOGOA or even Interloper character there... you know, as there is in Ash Canyon with the tech packback. I mean you do get unique chemical protection items, but they're not really useful anywhere else anyway (apart from the small bit in Blackrock I guess but you know). Just looting the place for "general stuff" is not that inviting

The flask needs some work, the duration should be MUCH longer, now it's just small extension of what you already get. Also using it is clumsy, should be just in the radial menu

Travois, better implementation than expected, however it seems to easy to use now, it's not even dragging your energy. I guess it (too) decaying fast is a tradeoff but still

Anyway, the other updates seem to be good. The map is, as expected, gigantic again, with some good visuals. New hand animations are the highlight (haven't tried scurvy run yet)

Edited by Mistral
  • Upvote 2

The flask needs some work, the duration should be MUCH longer, now it's just small extension of what you already get. Also using it is clumsy, should be just in the radial menu

Definitely. It seems you can drink about two teas that have been in the flask until it gets cold. That just doesn't fit with the capacity. 

Manually adding and removing teas is fine, but I'd really like to drink directly out of it. Just make drinking from the flask the same as drinking a whole tea. Otherwise it takes too long.

Edited by Serenity
  • Upvote 4
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Mistral said:

Yeah as it is, the flask is nearly useless.

I wouldn't go that far. One tea in your belly and two in the flask is still lots of time. But it's very disappointing compared to what it appears to be at first glace. Why is it so big when it doesn't keep all its contents warm? And cooking enough teas for it the first time - and you don't know - is just a waste of time.

Edited by Serenity
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Serenity said:

Yeah. I still have to figure out finding a cave that's close to some good hunting. But it's not as hard is it looks once you figure out the basics. And the temperatures are relatively mild in the late afternoon and evenings. That allows longer trips like getting all that cat tail in the river.

The chemical pollution isn't really an issue as the buildup goes down very quickly. The more aggressive wolves are a nice change, but manageable.

I did notice the lack of flare shells starting in the last update though. I'm all for changing up the flare gun cases and making things more random. But I found several guns and basically no shells. ZoC has basically a full case of shells.

There is a rabbit grove not far from the idle houses. If you plant 10 snares there you can easily keep well fed with them. Would be a problem with Scurvy but if you play on an existing save you can still do it. 

16 hours ago, FaT McMarlin said:

The absolute joy of not knowing a region, taking an established run there anyway, falling off the side of a cliff trying a path that looked goat worthy and ending your run. Wonderful new region!!!! Thank you Dev team!!!!!! Oh how I've missed the completely lost feeling this region gives. I haven't felt lost in the game in so long. Best feeling ever!!!! Thank you Hinterland, I can not wait to see what's coming in the future. Have a wonderful break when y'all get there. You deserve it!!!! Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Yes yes yes, all of this. What a joyful post! Thank you for sharing your enthusiasm, @FaT McMarlin!

• Upvote 3
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, mfuegemann said:

Also not a bug in itself, but the POV moving so rapidly in the harvesting animations is annoying me very much.
Even the "dampen camera motion" in the accessability options is not helping with that.
The animations could have some variations, too.

Yes, agreed, the lurching in to the animation is very unpleasant to me and a bit motion-sickening. I also feel (as with all the animations) that it takes too long.

4 hours ago, xanna said:

Yes yes yes, all of this. What a joyful post! Thank you for sharing your enthusiasm, @FaT McMarlin!

I mean it. Every single last letter. The amazing journey given to us is almost unheard of I'm modern gaming. No hand holding, no marker telling me where I need to go, no quest I must complete. Just Astrids frozen toes and my poor decisions make this game truly one of a kind.

• Upvote 4

I just found a new favorite bug in my game (and yes I did report the bug).  I have 1 .8L of Broth in my inventory.  I've made at least 6 stews and still have .8L of Broth.  The meat and Flour gets used up correctly.  It's not the worst bug in the game to have.  It was on a new custom save I started haha.

Just found out I can drink the broth indefinitely as long as I have hunger. LOL

Edited by Lumiiyx
Infinite Broth
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Mistral said:

The new zone is cool, but as said before, there should be something in there that's worth taking NOGOA or even Interloper character there... you know, as there is in Ash Canyon with the tech packback. I mean you do get unique chemical protection items, but they're not really useful anywhere else anyway (apart from the small bit in Blackrock I guess but you know). Just looting the place for "general stuff" is not that inviting

Travois, better implementation than expected, however it seems to easy to use now, it's not even dragging your energy. I guess it (too) decaying fast is a tradeoff but still

Anyway, the other updates seem to be good. The map is, as expected, gigantic again, with some good visuals. New hand animations are the highlight (haven't tried scurvy run yet)

The reward for the tale is worth it alone

• Upvote 1

On 12/6/2023 at 10:24 AM, diggity said:

I think that animation needs some work - you harvest 9 or 10 kilos of meat from the carcass and skin it, but after that it looks like there was just a few chunks carved out of the chest area.   Doesn't look right.

Personally I think the camera in the animation for the harvesting is far too jerky/wiggly. People keep their heads level and steady. The animations are giving me motion sickness because they're so unnatural.

• Upvote 5

5 hours ago, Enigmaecho said:

The reward for the tale is worth it alone

Nobody in NOGOA (or low recovery mode or some other harder variation) is gonna play through Tales. And I don't wanna play it anyway as I don't care about the story. Even if I did, what's the replay value

Edited by Mistral

8 minutes ago, Kayosiv said:

Personally I think the camera in the animation for the harvesting is far too jerky/wiggly. People keep their heads level and steady. The animations are giving me motion sickness because they're so unnatural.

...cant really say that I'm impressed with the new animal harvesting animations. They feel clunky and kinda spasmodic at best and there's no sense of timeliness as it all ends so abruptly.   On top of that, now that we have gloved animations, why is every animal harvest done bare handed?  I'm all for animations that make a game more immersive but if this is benchmark for the quality level of their work, I'd rather see them dedicate their efforts elsewhere.  If anything at all, I'd just like to be able sit down on a chair or bench and be able to look around the room.  Now that would be immersive, am I right?

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Mistral said:

Nobody in NOGOA (or low recovery mode or some other harder variation) is gonna play through Tales. And I don't wanna play it anyway as I don't care about the story. Even if I did, what's the replay value

The reward is finishing it on a harder mode. Flexing rights you could say. Besides, the item you get in the end isn't the worst. It's a nice collectible in my eyes.

6 hours ago, piddy3825 said:

...cant really say that I'm impressed with the new animal harvesting animations. They feel clunky and kinda spasmodic at best and there's no sense of timeliness as it all ends so abruptly.   On top of that, now that we have gloved animations, why is every animal harvest done bare handed?  I'm all for animations that make a game more immersive but if this is benchmark for the quality level of their work, I'd rather see them dedicate their efforts elsewhere.  If anything at all, I'd just like to be able sit down on a chair or bench and be able to look around the room.  Now that would be immersive, am I right?

I don't like the animations either. The animation itself I do like, but to me it's the very small FOV that gives me motion sickness.

• Upvote 1