Bleak Inlet cannery workshop - find the fabled shortcut?

monsieur_cronky

I haven't had any luck finding a rope tie-off or anything for the workshop yet, but I have found a route that, for me, has consistently gotten me back out of the cannery without the timber wolves taking notice. I thought I'd share since a few people mentioned how much ammo they waste just getting in and out. Once the wolves give up (after you're done with crafting and slept) I hop down from the little ramp and go under the docks around to the right towards the boat following it around. From there you can slip through the fence onto the bridge. As for getting in, I  just save stamina until I hear them aggro and I bolt for the rope. I usually beat them to it.

Hope this helps someone!

Guest jeffpeng
20 minutes ago, Gracia_WolfSlayer said:

I haven't had any luck finding a rope tie-off or anything for the workshop yet, but I have found a route that, for me, has consistently gotten me back out of the cannery without the timber wolves taking notice. I thought I'd share since a few people mentioned how much ammo they waste just getting in and out. Once the wolves give up (after you're done with crafting and slept) I hop down from the little ramp and go under the docks around to the right towards the boat following it around. From there you can slip through the fence onto the bridge. As for getting in, I  just save stamina until I hear them aggro and I bolt for the rope. I usually beat them to it.

Hope this helps someone!

Yeah, that's the best strategy I've come up with so far as well. Edit: short of towing a bear down to the cannery, ofc.

Edited by jeffpeng

I am sure others have done this. 

I went to the Echo One Radio Station with the intent of staying onsite until an aurora occurred.  The idea was that the technician had rigged a switch in the control hut to a system in the Cannery and you had to flip that switch to get something like the crane to operate (during an aurora).  Not the most logical thing to do, but this is a game and it would allow for something to be "unlocked". 

No dice. The aurora started. The control hut lit up. The antenna tower lit up. The perimeter lights lit up. Nothing in the control hut or, as far as I could see, around the antenna tower was something one could interact with.   The technician's note also changed a bit. 

20200128220833_1.jpg

20200129100426_1.jpg

20200129100447_1.jpg

20200129100509_1.jpg

20200129100927_1.jpg

20200129100935_1.jpg

20200129101034_1.jpg

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, UTC-10 said:

20200129100509_1.jpg

The hidden switch is right behind you in this image.  Maybe.  The odd thing is that the control cabinet is not solid.

The "154" fix would seem to be alright.  The way I look at it is this fix is on the "quick and dirty" side of auto body repair.  Imagine a majestic style auto body supreme paint job but it has this tiny piece of foam bondo instead of metal.  Sure it all looks good but do you really want spray foam with bondo veneer or a solid piece of metal welded.   Changing the 3D model would of course be the harder path but in the end a masterpiece is being constructed and is worth the effort.

@jeffpeng Mister Moose goes to the cannery will be another fine melody.  Soon.

I am out in The Cannery Workshop at the moment. 

I have had several visits to BI and the Cannery, mainly tidying up the loose ends of old games.  In my present run I have been completing a Voyager run of over 1,100 days which fully mapped all of the earlier regions.  I remember that you, Ice Hole, were helpful in solving a couple of goating problems that I had with my last couple of very small unmapped areas.

What has surprised me is the difference in difficulty between the wolves in an earlier Stalker run and the wolves in this Voyager run.  At Stalker level BI was very hazardous whereas at Voyager level the wolves are not much of a problem. I suspect the gap between Voyager and Stalker is too big.  Of course if I was using mods to give myself ever-lasting life, unlimited carrying capacity and restore any resource once is slipped below 100% condition, then the difference between Voyager and Stalker, or between Interloper and Pilgrim wouldn't matter.

I still dislike the new wolf behaviour, not simply because it is more difficult, I chose to play Stalker because of its difficulty, but because of anomalies in the wolf attacks. 

As wolves attack I find that my arrows, which I would normally be confident were a hit, do not hit.  There seems to have been some changes in the targetting of the wolves. 

I find that if I delay firing my revolver or arrow until the wolf is close, then my revolver or bow will not fire.  I can't decide if my weapon has been deliberately de-activated or that there is a lag in firing weapons due to a processing problem.  There are very clearly new lag problems in other aspects of the game, particularly with sprains.

I also dislike it when I am attacked by a wolf, and when it is driven off I find that another wolf which I have not been able to see is still chewing up my legs. Because I don't see this wolf, before, during or after its attack I can not defend myself from it.

One thing I often muse upon is why these problems suddenly appeared in TLD.  Has there been a change of strategy, Unity, or has there been a change of staff and it is all down to one person?

Edited by peteloud

I've asked Raphael van Lierop what did he meant by saying "shortcut" in Twitter and this is his response:

The "shortcut" I referenced was indeed the rope climb from the Pleateau back down to the lowland area approaching the coastline. This is a shortcut in the sense that, otherwise, if you ever want to get up to the radio tower, you need to traverse parts of Forlorn Muskeg, Mystery Lake, and the Ravine Transition -- not a short trip, as you know.

So now we know what is the shortcut...

• Upvote 9

18 hours ago, BESt said:

I've asked Raphael van Lierop what did he meant by saying "shortcut" in Twitter and this is his response:

The "shortcut" I referenced was indeed the rope climb from the Pleateau back down to the lowland area approaching the coastline. This is a shortcut in the sense that, otherwise, if you ever want to get up to the radio tower, you need to traverse parts of Forlorn Muskeg, Mystery Lake, and the Ravine Transition -- not a short trip, as you know.

Can you link the twitter post?

Just now, jeffpeng said:

Hu, sometimes it's good to be right. This time it ain't. Would have been great to have a true shortcut to the workshop.

Seems like an epic missed opportunity, level design and gameplay wise, especially considering the rope.... who in their right mind is going to take the rope from there all the way to the ravine?

• Upvote 1

Well it won't be the first time that Raphael said something and left people interpreting the meaning of his words their way not his.  

To me the "shortcut" served no purpose especially once people knew that there was a code or something they had to have from the radio station. Nobody was going to deploy a rope at the Lookout belaying point and then leave the area without finding whatever it was that constituted the "key" to get access to the region (area or facilities or etc.). 

Now a plausible twist would have been needing the code to open the security door during the aurora, that would be obvious, but also that a switch had to be thrown in the radio station during the aurora to activate the security door system.  The switch could only be obvious during an aurora and would be inert at any other time.  In searching for the now nonexistent shortcut in the Cannery, on my second sandbox, I specifically stayed in the radio station during the aurora to see if anything would become active. 

A bigger twist would include getting the code, then having to throw a switch at the Cannery during the aurora to activate the circuit the tech rigged, then having to go to the radio station because oops a fuse up there blew out and had to be replaced.  A shortcut for this forced back and forth might have been appreciated. 

I know that this would be a lot of effort on the part of the player but, at least, it would have probably made us appreciate the "shortcut" a lot more even if it wasn't quite what we wanted as a "shortcut". 

IMHO that would not be such great deal. My "problem" with the path to workshop is the rope. You cannot go there overburden even a little. So hauling needed material is tricky. You can of course offload and load near the rope in current cannery. But I do understand, there has to be rope because of those fluffy grey adorable pets who wants to cuddle. The rest of the path is IMHO OK. It can be there because of "I have run here thousands of times, what can happen... oh shit I am on the ground in middle of wolf pack".

• 5 months later...

An update: 

1. After nearly giving up, I finally saw the blindingly obvious: the words GREAT BEAR ISLAND are an anagram of GLAD BRAINTEASER, which confirmed to me the shortcut does exist.

2. As mentioned in thread at link below, I realised the only way to progress further was a physical expedition.

3. The words CANNERY WORKSHOP SHORTCUT are an anagram of the following:

PACK THY SNOW, OR TORCH RUNES

Which couldn't be anything other than the choice of continuing to trudge the long way through the snow, or unlock the shortcut by making magical glyphs using a lit torch. I just need to find out where, and when.

So close, now.

• Like 2

On 2/11/2020 at 4:22 PM, Gracia_WolfSlayer said:

Maybe we'll get lucky and they'll add a rope deployment spot for the workshop in the next update. 

Is it likely? No, but it's possible. 

(Crosses fingers)

Keep my fingers crossed too. 🤞

On 8/4/2020 at 8:03 AM, JaySovereign said:

I doubt it would've been too difficult to simply add a rope to the end of the dock of the cannery workshop. Or just a point we could tie one of our own. Just saying.

I 100% feel it should be an option for you once you've survived the obstacle course. Everyone should have to do it once, but then there's a place where, if you remember to do it before you go, you can tie a rope, or activate some machinery that makes it accessible from the ground.

Of course that's because platforming makes me nervous #sweatykeyboard

23 hours ago, Gracia_WolfSlayer said:

Of course that's because platforming makes me nervous #sweatykeyboard

Go on a mission to break down everything you possibly can in the cannery.  You'll get real comfortable with that parkour sequence, having to do it over and over and over...

• Like 1

On 2/3/2020 at 12:08 AM, BESt said:

Glad you said this. I agree that this path is shorter.