Bleak Inlet cannery workshop - find the fabled shortcut?

monsieur_cronky

I've seen mention in a couple of other threads that Raph has confirmed there is an unlockable shortcut to the cannery workshop. Apparently there is a hint in the Errant Pilgrim launch video.

Anyone find it yet?

I've tried walking around with rope to find a tie point, but no luck.

I've tried the levers and wheels above the main cannery gate during an aurora, no luck.

I noticed some graffiti that shows water coming out a pipe, and underneath the word 'future', and wondered if that's a clue.

To me it feels a bit contrived that finding the shortcut is so hard, when it should be trivial to tie some rope off the end of the pier. Hope they signpost it better in future.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, KinoUnko said:

closest thing I see to a hint in the launch video is the rope at the lookout tower, to go from upper to lower bleak inlet. That would technically also be a shortcut to the cannery workshop I suppose. 

It looks like the survivor is heading towards one of the different cannery buildings than the one the original rope is in during one of the clips.

Which is why I was trying to find a rope deployment point in one of the other buildings AFTER all of the plank/board crossings.

Edited by RossBondReturns
Spelling

I see what you mean. Yea I've looked all around that building too but have not seen anything that maybe a hidden shortcut. The only place on the upper level connected to the outside is the large broken window facing the water just after you climb in from the shipping containers. On the lower level the snowbanks under the floor lets you get up through the floor to about chest level, but no option to climb anywhere that I see.

I've spent the past few game days breaking down everything at the cannery, and couldn't find anything.  That fuse box looking thing in the control room just after you climb the initial rope looks hella suspicious but there's no option to interact with it.  I've checked all the equipment and haven't found any sort of "open door" or "tie rope" thing anywhere.  Wondering if maybe it's some sort of remote control, I went back to the pensive lookout and echo one radio tower looking for maybe some kind of switch or secret key, broke down everything, and nada.  Even inside the cannery workshop, although I did find a couple neat goodies by breaking things down, nothing opened any sort of shortcut.

Both during the aurora and otherwise, I might add, just in the event something becomes interactive while powered, but not during the day.  I'm starting to think the "shortcut" is really just that rope climb down from the pensive lookout tower.

On the plus side, I've been re-using the same 12 revolver casings for a couple game weeks, since I'm parkouring the cannery so often I just keep reloading the same shells.  So at least I can confirm the casings don't wear out.

Edit: I think I'm gonna start shooting things.  Maybe that's the key.

Edited by ajb1978
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, ajb1978 said:

I've spent the past few game days breaking down everything at the cannery, and couldn't find anything.  That fuse box looking thing in the control room just after you climb the initial rope looks hella suspicious but there's no option to interact with it.  I've checked all the equipment and haven't found any sort of "open door" or "tie rope" thing anywhere.  Wondering if maybe it's some sort of remote control, I went back to the pensive lookout and echo one radio tower looking for maybe some kind of switch or secret key, broke down everything, and nada.  Even inside the cannery workshop, although I did find a couple neat goodies by breaking things down, nothing opened any sort of shortcut.

Both during the aurora and otherwise, I might add, just in the event something becomes interactive while powered, but not during the day.  I'm starting to think the "shortcut" is really just that rope climb down from the pensive lookout tower.

On the plus side, I've been re-using the same 12 revolver casings for a couple game weeks, since I'm parkouring the cannery so often I just keep reloading the same shells.  So at least I can confirm the casings don't wear out.

Edit: I think I'm gonna start shooting things.  Maybe that's the key.

Thanks for a great reply! 

I'm pretty sure Raph has indicated the shortcut is to the Cannery Workshop, because it was in response to a tweet when someone talked about having to do all the beam-walking. If I recall correctly. I'll try to find the Twitter exchange, but it was in another post on these forums, by "Ross Bond Returns".

I felt sure that I had thought of the solution to the shortcut to the Cannery Workshop.  My plan was to place a can of gunpowder next to the arcing electric cable beside the stepladder that is close to the milling machine. I expected that at the next aurora the explosion would blow a hole in the floor and the ladder would drop through the floor to the ice below.

It didn't work.  The cables in the vicinity of the milling machine were not arcing during the next aurora or the two after that.  I tried throwing a flaming torch at the cans of gunpowder. It harmlessly burned beside the can.

423185135_screen_(21-11)_d6842de0-47e6-450c-8ad7-988b17d40218.thumb.png.caf2d4908289a0ac42d3e75ef884bc3b.png

I still feel that there could be a similar solution, but I got fed up trying.

Edited by peteloud

Rope ladder? New crafting recipe? Maybe? 

On 12/21/2019 at 1:36 AM, monsieur_cronky said:

Screenshot_20191221-173519.png

This, and knowing how evil devs can be at times, just makes me think it isn't going to be a regular old ladder...

Rope + Fir (X number) + knife or hatchet for crating?

Just a thought, not near BI or a workbench right now (and I have no rope yet, lol), in PV looting. But once I get some rope and am near a workbench, I 'll see if I get a new recipe. Maybe someone can check the milling machine workbench? Just a semi-random thought.

19 minutes ago, ThePancakeLady said:

Rope ladder? New crafting recipe? Maybe? 

This, and knowing how evil devs can be at times, just makes me think it isn't going to be a regular old ladder...

Rope + Fir (X number) + knife or hatchet for crating?

Just a thought, not near BI or a workbench right now (and I have no rope yet, lol), in PV looting. But once I get some rope and am near a workbench, I 'll see if I get a new recipe. Maybe someone can check the milling machine workbench? Just a semi-random thought.

Perhaps this.

But I honestly think it's something already in place.

After watching the video I'm pretty certain of which building to look in.

Might not get around to it until tomorrow.

20 hours ago, ThePancakeLady said:

Checked--nada.  I did another sweep of the area and found a rather interesting outdoor office I had somehow missed the first 2,037,837.7 passes through the area however, right around the corner from that first rope climb.  Makes for a much nicer "wait for an aurora" spot than the truck in the center of the yard, that's for sure.  But unfortunately, no rope tie-off points anywhere that I can find, no aurora-only interactives apart from the milling machine and that keypad, and no new crafting recipes.  Edit: I even precariously made my way out onto that crane thing in the middle of the last warehouse prior to the workshop wondering if maybe there was a way to lower that.

I would be absolutely 100% certain there is no shortcut, if not for that one tweet.  And even then I'm wondering if Raph maybe just saw the part about "drop down" and the "You can" meant "You can drop down".  As in, just walk off the pier.  That's your shortcut out.

Edited by ajb1978

28 minutes ago, hozz1235 said:

I can't imagine HL making a shortcut for a 1-minute trip.

Well ordinarily no but in this region it would make sense, since it's impossible to run the course without catching the attention of the wolves in the area.  So unless you deal with them ahead of time, you'll end up having to deal with them after you leave the workshop, unless you're willing to completely wait them out.  Putting a back way in would allow you the option of slinking in undetected, and making your way back out without a confrontation.

Guest jeffpeng
Just now, RossBondReturns said:

I disagree you see I'm part of that Twitter conversation too...and Raph clarified that he meant that there was a shortcut.

In that case I would stand corrected! I mean I've read the screenshots of the Tweet, that didn't have that piece of info iirc.