Bleak Inlet cannery workshop - find the fabled shortcut?

monsieur_cronky

On 12/24/2019 at 10:38 AM, peteloud said:

A while back I read a comment which referred to a hidden area in BI.  I can't find the comment now, does anyone have more info.?

@peteloud I think that might have been me in the "BI - what am I missing" entry. Anyway, here's the way to the secret area:

It's kinda underneath the cliff with the radio tower. Just hug the wall closely at the base of the plateau (for example if you climbed down the rope from the Overlook, turn immediately right and walk along the cliff almost all the way to its pointy end) and you'll find a spot with some bramble bushes you have to hack through, so bring an axe. You'll enter an area that's named "secret path" or something like that. It'll take you through/underneath and then around the plateau for quite a ways, ending up in a little overlook area above the Frozen Delta where you can find some good loot. Little paths branch off here and there but I haven't found anything along them, just the camp site at the very end offered any rewards.

Good hunting!

Finding this mythical shortcut is costing my survivor a little too much, resource-wise, so I'm giving up too for now. In these 5 in-game days spent at the Cannery, I've been to the workshop several times using the established convoluted path, and I have to admit that I sincerely hope a shortcut exists, because 'doing the walk' every time I need to go there is getting old fast. What's particularly annoying is that the shortcut would be right there in front of the pier, if only our survivor could jump or place planks to close the gap.

🎄

Hmm just had a thought.has anyone been to the new mine in CH since BI was added?

It could be nothing/ something for story mode, but the first room after the rope climb has some sort of fuse holder. Could be a long shot, but maybe there's a fuse we can take from the CH Mine. I'm not sure as I have not visited the new mine yet in survival mode.

Will be playing a bit later , so may give this a test.

25 minutes ago, sierra 117 said:

It could be nothing/ something for story mode, but the first room after the rope climb has some sort of fuse holder. Could be a long shot, but maybe there's a fuse we can take from the CH Mine.

Good thinking! That fuse box has always looked suspicious to me ever since I saw it. It's a bit too detailed to be just cosmetic. Looking for the missing piece would be a cool treasure hunt! :)

🎄

59 minutes ago, sierra 117 said:

Hmm just had a thought.has anyone been to the new mine in CH since BI was added?

It could be nothing/ something for story mode, but the first room after the rope climb has some sort of fuse holder. Could be a long shot, but maybe there's a fuse we can take from the CH Mine. I'm not sure as I have not visited the new mine yet in survival mode.

Will be playing a bit later , so may give this a test.

Went into the lower Mine before we knew the boltcutters for the Medical Locker was a bug, looking for them. Never thought of checking the fuse boxes. Not sure if there will be anything there, because...  (Wintermute Spoilers ahead, don;t look if you don;t ant to know):

In Episode 3, the fuses that activate the elevator are in those boxes, and you need to visit several to recover the fuses, and make the elevator work to go down.  Never had to check the box in the lower area, once activated from above, that was all the time you had to spend with them. Not sure if a fuse at the cannery door will do anything. The elevator works during an Aurora in Survival Mode, but you can't take it all the way back to the top... only to a mid-level area where you'll get stuck if the Aurora dies down while you are there. So there may be no fuse to take. But I'll check it too. Because... why not?

3 hours ago, ThePancakeLady said:

Went into the lower Mine before we knew the boltcutters for the Medical Locker was a bug, looking for them. Never thought of checking the fuse boxes. Not sure if there will be anything there, because...  (Wintermute Spoilers ahead, don;t look if you don;t ant to know):

Oh good call.  This is a "destroy everything" run.  I'm going to have to work out the logistics of how to break down everything down there, AND escape....  Probably gonna involve leaving a lot of emergency rations, and breaking down just ONE thing per aurora, so I don't get trapped, and then spending all my remaining time outdoors just so if I DO get trapped, I can afford a bit of leeway before CF prevents me from sleeping.

Hmm...this might be my toughest caper yet.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, ajb1978 said:

Oh good call.  This is a "destroy everything" run.  I'm going to have to work out the logistics of how to break down everything down there, AND escape....  Probably gonna involve leaving a lot of emergency rations, and breaking down just ONE thing per aurora, so I don't get trapped, and then spending all my remaining time outdoors just so if I DO get trapped, I can afford a bit of leeway before CF prevents me from sleeping.

Hmm...this might be my toughest caper yet.

Lol! I love when I don't have to dare you to do silly things, you up and volunteer to do them yourself. :D 

The fuses in the mine are not a thing in survivor. If you go down the elevator do so with a truckload of food.  Better yet, get in and out in the same night.  No aurora, no exit, leads to cabin fever starvation situation which is not fun.. Took me five days to die.   Also beware the timberwolves can get onto the pier if you enter the workshop while theyre aggroed.  They can also get you on the stern of the boat and have run up to at least the second tier on the watchtower..  

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, ThePancakeLady said:

Lol! I love when I don't have to dare you to do silly things, you up and volunteer to do them yourself. :D 

My game plan is to do a world sweep and scoop up all the coffee and Go drinks I've left behind in every zone, and transport the lot of it to that mine.  Then do the same with MRE's, birch bark tea, and get just a stupid amount of water too for good measure.  Then the first aurora I get, carry it all down into the mine.  If I play it conservative and only chop up one thing per aurora, I should be good.  And with all that coffee and birch bark, I'm confident I can survive at least a couple weeks without sleep.

Yeah...yeah I got this.

Edit: I'm like the Deadman aficionados in one way-I will do something crazy once.  I don't do it regularly, it's not my usual thing...but I will try anything once.

Edited by ajb1978
  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, MarrowStone said:

Why are the semitruck trailers unable to be opened? There's gotta be food and shelter in them!

Or maybe you'll find out the Department of Fish and Game was transporting timberwolves to Bleak Inlet as part of their wildlife catch and relocation program 🙂

Edited by ProsPex

On 12/21/2019 at 8:08 AM, JaySovereign said:

I searched for it and ended up getting stuck up here:

0cf0cfd007e714764903d9d21b8814e9.png

I thought we could climb the hook thing or something, but I guess not. I'll restart the game and keep searching...

I've just had a good wander around the cannery- if there is an unlockable shortcut my money would be on this hook having something to do with it.  Apart from tying a rope or smashing up boxes/ pallets, it seems to be the only bit of scenery that could be 'changed' (if it is possible to move the hook mechanism at all, presumably during an aurora and perhaps after some kind of switch in the workshop is activated).  Gonna take me a while to check though, need to gather a rope or two and head back in via the radio tower to get the code.

I am also intrigued by the idea that decoding the graffitti may point the way!

The only piece of equipment which appears to "light up" at the cannery during an aurora other than the milling machine and the door code panel is the 4-button panel on the wall of the building with the rope climb. However, I can't interact with this 4-button panel.611278975_ButtonPanel.thumb.jpg.3754d481cd4c50ef02ee9e93560cd989.jpg

Edited by ProsPex
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, ProsPex said:

The only piece of equipment which appears to "light up" at the cannery during an aurora other than the milling machine and the door code panel is the 4-button panel on the wall of the building with the rope climb. However, I can't interact with this 4-button panel.611278975_ButtonPanel.thumb.jpg.3754d481cd4c50ef02ee9e93560cd989.jpg

Given the way that the workshop door interacts, could it be that you need to find another code on a note/memo to unlock this?

I've spent the evening having another once over of the workshop area during an aurora with a rope.  Couldn't find any rope deployment triggers, despite several likely girders/ beams (with the caveat that the only two non climbing rock ropes in the game, at the cannery and dam, with blue ropes, are pre-deployed- so in other words I don't think there's a precedent for the player to attach ropes to anything other than a rock).

So my thoughts are it's either:

- a wind up/ joke/misinterpretation of the twitter conversation- that's been well documented above but it seems reasonable to me that there is a shortcut.

- not been found as yet.  Given that it may involve an aurora, an item to be found in a still very new region, or a slight tweak to an existing mechanic such as rope deployment that no ones' figured out, this could well be the case.

- a bug.  There has been a bug already in the cannery with the work bench which has subsequently been fixed, and as far as I am aware it's the only location where you can't break down crates, which is somewhat inconsistent.  I heard about other bugs with doors shutting and locking people in, so maybe with sorting all that, if the secret route is currently blocked by a bug it may have gone under the radar (no one reporting something they don't know for sure is there!).

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Valuable Hunting Knife said:

- a bug.  There has been a bug already in the cannery with the work bench which has subsequently been fixed, and as far as I am aware it's the only location where you can't break down crates, which is somewhat inconsistent.  I heard about other bugs with doors shutting and locking people in, so maybe with sorting all that, if the secret route is currently blocked by a bug it may have gone under the radar (no one reporting something they don't know for sure is there!).

Yep, this is what my money's on.

• Upvote 1

On 12/21/2019 at 2:08 AM, JaySovereign said:

I searched for it and ended up getting stuck up here:

0cf0cfd007e714764903d9d21b8814e9.png

I thought we could climb the hook thing or something, but I guess not. I'll restart the game and keep searching...

I somehow missed this post.  From this position, if you were to turn slightly to the right and follow the track to the wall, there's actually a narrow gap you can drop down, and land perfectly on the railing of the staircase.  No falling damage.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Ice Hole said:

There are three scenes that depict this pipe sticking into the air.

image.thumb.png.fdf09d1bca2e62fc8f16f5af420563bb.png

image.thumb.png.ebc035f52239eff8b8e520c55d19af3c.png

image.thumb.png.a4f880a830651e5e4a315da640d9ba79.png

Being in the centre of the shot is the only thing suspicious.  Looking at this pipe up close I was unable to discern the mystery of this monolith.

Yes I noticed this - and combined with the graffiti of a pipe spewing water with the word 'future' under it, I felt sure that the controls (wheels and levers) on the overhead walkway near the main gate would activate it, during an aurora. No luck though. Then I wondered about that suspicious fuse box during an aurora, maybe enabling the controls - also no luck. But then I wondered - what if I'd had scrap metal in my inventory at the time...?