Bleak Inlet cannery workshop - find the fabled shortcut?

monsieur_cronky

@Ice Hole The grinning one is perhaps the one who got away, escaped the nets. The second one does not look sad to me, it looks like it has that "I dare you..." look, a smugness, knowing that it has they key to the tin, and if you take it... you are going to be sorry. (Sardines are one of the top foods I get food poisoning from... that "I dare your." look may be a tad of a biased view due to that, lol.)

As far as your spoiler text...

Fluffy was trapped in the Dam back in the day. She got in, but could not get out. Fluffy 3.0 seems to be the same way now. She got in the Cannery Workshop, but cannot get out. I play it like this: She was chasing a worker there, who lured her into the Workshop, or ran in there trying to escape, possibly knowing there may be a revolver or two inside. (Those things are hidden in some of the most sneak places... the workers inside were armed, but none of them were good enough shots to kill her, they panicked and tried to run out, dropping a gun or two as they ran wildly to stay out of her snapping jaws. Once out, the last worker slammed the door shut behind them, locking Fluffy in. And no one dared or was able to try to re-open the door once the Timber wolves showed up, as they were flanked by the pack and torn to shreds. The "smug" sardine knows Fluffy can't use a key with her paws to open any tins left inside with her, perhaps? Just my take, for my in-game roleplaying.

• Like 1

Planning on heading out to BI with a new start loper.  Right now he is in DP and all geared up.

As for cannery access I might have to wait a few days for an aurora.  Seems camping at the keypad would be the most optimal. 

However I have seen wolves teleport onto the pier.  As for the wolf  inside this presents a problem with the proposed pancake backstory.  I did enjoy reading that backstory.  If waiting for an aurora then how long could that wolf inside the cannery possibly last eating nothing?  The wolf seems to be an anomaly of nature or it had gained access through a window.  A second entrance into the Cannery is an explanation that fits.   This second entrance could be bugged.  The crates inside are not breakable and could be the reason we do not find another entrance.  This idea was mentioned before and I am starting to lean that way.

On 12/29/2019 at 11:14 PM, Ice Hole said:

There are three scenes that depict this pipe sticking into the air.

image.thumb.png.fdf09d1bca2e62fc8f16f5af420563bb.png

image.thumb.png.ebc035f52239eff8b8e520c55d19af3c.png

image.thumb.png.a4f880a830651e5e4a315da640d9ba79.png

Being in the centre of the shot is the only thing suspicious.  Looking at this pipe up close I was unable to discern the mystery of this monolith.

in the video does anyone recognise the room at 5:35 (with a prominent exit sign)?

Another interesting idea is that the note in one of the buildings says something like: "I'm going to rig something up in the cannery workshop, but I'm staring down a deep hole here". Maybe he's being literal and there is a hole which you can climb down with a rope somewhere?

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, vta4ever said:

Another interesting idea is that the note in one of the buildings says something like: "I'm going to rig something up in the cannery workshop, but I'm staring down a deep hole here". Maybe he's being literal and there is a hole which you can climb down with a rope somewhere?

Since first discovering the note, I have thought and thought about what something the tech could be trying to "rig up" and have searched for the "deep hole" without luck. But I still think you are on  to something. I have even tried searching after leaving the note on the desk as the last line says.... "Just leave this here in case it goes even worse".

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, ProsPex said:

Since first discovering the note, I have thought and thought about what something the tech could be trying to "rig up" and have searched for the "deep hole" without luck. But I still think you are on  to something. I have even tried searching after leaving the note on the desk as the last line says.... "Just leave this here in case it goes even worse".

I've checked all the notes I have (12/13 at the mo) in case there was anything like the TWM map on the back, but nothing.  A note with a code or instruction to make a lever/ keypad work would be consistent with how we can get into the workshop.

32 minutes ago, Valuable Hunting Knife said:

I've checked all the notes I have (12/13 at the mo) in case there was anything like the TWM map on the back, but nothing.  A note with a code or instruction to make a lever/ keypad work would be consistent with how we can get into the workshop.

also I broke down all the cardboard boxes and planks I could in the workshop; nothing

• Like 1

I have come to think that perhaps the "shortcut" exists but is not operational at this time. Something has to happen, like the crane has to move, and that will likely be in episode 4 or 5 update. That would probably be the triggering event for us in survival mode. I would be quite  happy if someone were to prove me wrong by finding it now. 

• Upvote 2

So, the holiday break at HL seems to be over and they should be back to their normal response times ... has anyone been able to confirm anything new with either HL or Raph himself? Maybe someone of the Twitter kids could feel obliged? My money is still on "this was all a massive misunderstanding" or "we've been epically trolled". Dwindling chances for "we simply haven't found the shortcut yet" and "it exists but is bugged/will be available at a later time". I really, reallllllly don't feel like making 30 more rounds of the Cannery checking every nook and cranny in vain, it's just plain frustrating.

This might be a little far-fetched but perhaps once you loot the very last can in all of great bear you find a crafting recipe. The timberwolf wingsuit. You collect the 5 furs and 14 guts, craft for 168 hours and go straight to the radio tower, wait til the wind blows towards the cannery, stretch out your arms and make the jump . Oh wait, we can't jump.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

screen_9c7ac468-65e8-4205-8371-ff9842e38c4a_hi.thumb.png.d76686d14f7ffb7d6ab83658aaf44e87.png

The ideal spot for a rope anchor/mount point would be from a rafter on the ceiling of this building with the rope extending all the way to snowy bottom, with ability to "hop on" or "hop off" the climb at the first and second levels from either side of the building.... no such luck.

This week I also really hoped for a short replay from the studio if this was all a misunderstanding. I still hope it wasn't and there is a short cut, a place to mount a rope to...

I saw a couple of interesting spots, these haven't been mentioned yet - I think...

next to the last building before the cannery (my favourite):

image.thumb.png.26d0d14371759b66578193b72684e472.png

behind the cannery:

image.thumb.png.38d5ab6f83102b97243d0db12b031878.png

Edited by atomic

In general, I see four possible spots for a "shortcut".  I would assume that the "shortcut" can only be "activated" by someone who has already made it to the Cannery Pier (duh). I also assume that the "shortcut" would be at the Cannery Pier or the two buildings leading to it to qualify as a "shortcut". I would also assume everyone has seen the following:

1.  There is a broken stairway in the first building you enter, after crossing the pipes and trailers, that just seems to beg for something to get you one step higher to bridge the gap. There is a small post along the wall between the broken section and you can get to it and stand on it, but you cannot quite get the additional height to be able to reach the upper end of the gap.  It is possible to get yourself trapped in part of the stairway structure (at ground level) which forced me to quit and reload. I tried using car batteries to try and get my "step" up and seemed tantalizingly close but no cigar. You cannot stack car batteries on top of each other and they only went on the lower section of stairs.

2.  There's the crane in the second building.  Move the crane and lower the hook a bit and you can stand on a post sticking up out of the snow/ground or just lower the hook to ground level. No apparent controls anywhere visible in the building. Maybe that was on one of the columns that fell when the building center collapsed meaning that the crane would have to manually controlled from the crane mechanism itself. 

3.  There is the ramp down to a boat dock from the Cannery Pier. Of course, everyone has looked at this and what is lacking is some kind of plank, ladder, or pallet(s) so that one can climb up from ground level to the dock. One problem would be that it would allow (technically) timberwolves to get onto the Cannery Pier unless a climb maneuver was needed. 

4.  If you consider the footprint of the workshop, you can see on the inland side of it that there are piers and beams that are not covered by the building. The beams may be out of reach from the ground, but it would be a place for a rope, except I went there and there is nothing to attach a rope to.  There was also no way through the windows to get "into" the outer office area at the current time.

We cannot move stuff that is substantial, like planks, pallets, or ladders, except car batteries, so I guess that "something" has to happen.  :) 

20200111100431_1.jpg

20200111100449_1.jpg

20200111100646_1.jpg

20200111100706_1.jpg

• Upvote 2
  • Like 2

On 1/5/2020 at 6:46 PM, Valuable Hunting Knife said:

just a quick update on the number of available notes after BI was activated:

20200112145214_1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

No, I haven't bothered looking again, mainly because nobody has been able to confirm with HL or Raphael wether or not this has all been a huge misunderstanding or a hoax. My money is on misunderstanding, aka there simply IS no shortcut and he meant something different (like "going back out from the workshop you can jump down somewhere closeby"). I am convinced we'll have to do that parcour route for all eternity. I hope to be proven wrong.

• Upvote 2

well, I needed to make some ammo anyway... I did get excited by the appearance of 'selection dots' or whatever the technical term may be, hovering over the control panels near the start of the trail by the big chemical tanks, however it appears this is only happening when I have the lantern selected, I think it is more to do with a flat area you could place a lantern.  Not the best shot, but there was also a weird glitch on the pier where the top level of flooring vanished from certain angles.  Still walkable though.  Otherwise, still no rope attachments, nothing new in the workshop and no way to move the crane/ hanging hook.

20200126121523_1.jpg

20200126122040_1.jpg

Well I had a big old scout around including carrying the rope about during an aurora and came up with a whole bunch of nothing. Like a lot of others I think for *anything* to count as a shortcut it would really need to be somewhere into the final 2 buildings and my bet would be the one that is split in half. I even stood on the damn winch part during and aurora but nothing came up.

I did most of this current testing on a pilgrim startup and fluffy is in the workshop, but although sounding agro doesnt do anythign....however after enough time of being in there with her she disappears till you leave and come back.... I dont think you can read too much into that being a clue about a way out... I think it's just some backend code resetting her and waiting to be triggered again.

If there is a shortcut to the workshop (and I hope there is at least one day) then it hasnt been a particulary fun puzzle to solve so far.

• Upvote 2

On 1/26/2020 at 12:06 PM, acada said:

My understanding of the "shortcut" is that you can put a rope down from Pensive Lookout. So you does not have to go back to Ravine -> Mystery Lake -> Forlong Muskeg in order to enter lower parts.

Well, yeah, and that would also be valid imho. But there's people on these forums claiming to have gotten the info from @Raphael van Lierop himself that the shortcut is actually somewhere on the cannery grounds and specifically that it is meant to circumvent the parcour bit to get into the workshop. And that is just straight up BS afaik, dozens of people (including me) have searched the place top to bottom and with every conceivable combination of environmental or character factors and nada. That's why I'm saying there was some mess-up in the communication at the very least, worst case we have all been epically trolled and sent on a merry chase. Come to think of it, I'm still not over the "two-part environmental puzzle" that was announced and then nowhere to be found, so it might just as well be that we've all just been blind to something incredibly obvious.

6 hours ago, Sceh said:

Well, yeah, and that would also be valid imho. But there's people on these forums claiming to have gotten the info from @Raphael van Lierop himself that the shortcut is actually somewhere on the cannery grounds and specifically that it is meant to circumvent the parcour bit to get into the workshop. And that is just straight up BS afaik, dozens of people (including me) have searched the place top to bottom and with every conceivable combination of environmental or character factors and nada. That's why I'm saying there was some mess-up in the communication at the very least, worst case we have all been epically trolled and sent on a merry chase. Come to think of it, I'm still not over the "two-part environmental puzzle" that was announced and then nowhere to be found, so it might just as well be that we've all just been blind to something incredibly obvious.

To be fair, I kind of think the getting the code from the top part before being able to open the workshop matched my expectations enough as a "two-part environmental puzzle" Tho my guess beforhand was that you;d have to trigger a log fall from one map that makes log bridge in the other area allowing you to join the two zones.