What is the 1 thing you enjoy most about The Long Dark?

Ryan CM

• 3 weeks later...

Best thing about The Long Dark is exploring a new map.  Almost all of my play throughs have been centered around Broken Railroad, Milton, Forlorn Muskeg, and Mystery Lake.  But tonight, on day 30 and thanks to two days of good fishing, I have enough supplies to explore the tracks past the Carter Hydro Dam.  New maps to explore tonight.  Very excited!

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Wolves, a lot of Wolves

(In all seriousness wolves do make the game more challenging and of course more fun. They really do fill the spot that zombies did in the past when games like DayZ Mod and Left 4 Dead but in my opinion they are more fun to both face and escape)

The calm quiet.

So many games are so busy and chaotic that I have a hard time focusing on the task at hand. 

I've also discovered that I love the sound of a winter storm in the wilderness because of this game.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Because after playing for several hundred hours, I was computerless for months. I came back to the Moose, a handgun, and a custom mode. Got myself up and running, sitting in Mystery Lake. Piles of fish sitting on the front porch of the Camp Office, rifle and bow, some decent gear. Decided to take a stroll before it got dark, and decided to start hunting wolves to make my new jacket. Cocky and over-confident, I found a wolf on the tracks, had a small fish for bait.....dropped the fish and drew my bow before the wolf started eating. That one wolf wrecked me. Well played Hinterland, well played. This is what I've missed. Becoming over confident and getting wrecked for it. Awesome game! Cheers!!!! :) 

• Upvote 2

On ‎9‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 2:39 AM, jper75 said:

new to the forum :) it is an experience. Not just a game. You get better but never feel overpowered. The moment you become reckless is the moment you pay for it. 

No matter how many play throughs I run, I almost always feel at some point like "I have arrived" only to get completely owned. Bears always seem to give the best ass chewing. But I haven't danced with a moose yet..... time will tell. :) 

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

One little gem that gets me everytime is the last resort of being able to confuse wolves by running around a tree... 50% of the time I die horribly (was gonna anyway) and 50% of the time I end up laughing hysterically as the wolf runs off whimpering.

Maybe not 100% realistic, but Just So Good.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/1/2018 at 5:22 PM, Blankshield said:

Those choices, and the balance of risk and scarcity are what make the game very realistic without bogging down in details.  And, in the end, when you get past the scarcity hump, the only real danger is the mistakes you make, and the boredom that leads you to make them.  I am constantly impressed by how it comes together that way.

I agree with you here, especially about the only danger are the mistakes we make.  Most of my deaths were due to mistakes and most of them laughable.

• Upvote 1