What is the 1 thing you enjoy most about The Long Dark?

Ryan CM

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I like the fact that every new game I start in sandbox gives me a new adventure to look forward to leveling up my skills, acquiring materials over time, allowing me to choose the level of difficulty I want, and just the right amount of crafting.  Sometime I'll start one to specifically hole up in one specific area of each region and see how long I can last~

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The calmness, and the occasional excitement that makes your heart pound.

Like just now, making my way back to the house I'm camped up in, carrying some meat and hides, holding a lit flare because I can see a wolf nearby.... but then there are 3 wolves, and the flare is about to run out, probably before I get to safety! Try to sprint but quite exhausted, will I make it? Will they rip me to shreds?..... Made it! Just! Safe!

• Like 1

Your position in the world.

To elaborate;

The Long dark does what most survival games fail to fully achieve for me. Slamming you, a human, back into the food chain. It's mother nature putting you in your place. I've played many survival games over the years, (hell I've always said that Open-world survival games were my 'bread and butter') and most of them were very well made or at least fun. But none, none I say! Are as good as The Long Dark, in reminding you how frail humans can be. In ARK if you level enough, nothing can even hold a candle to you. In 7 Days to Die if you build enough, you don't even have to leave the base for the rest of the game. But in The Long Dark? You are never the 'top of the food chain' out there, and I like that. Nowadays we have plenty of open world survival games, but most, at least for me, run into the problem of being tedious when played past a certain point. ARK lets you get an army to do everything for you, hell in 7 Days you can get so well set up that dying starts to be a challenge even when you are trying. But in The Long Dark, it doesn't matter how well set up you are, every day could be your last.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I love the simplicity of the game, not just atmosphere, but gameplay (to an extent). If you "boil" it down, you end up with three words that are almost as old as humanity itself: Survival against nature. 

Permadeath forces you to play smart and make good choices. Weighing whether to risk a high loot area with lots of wolves, or pass it up is one of the things I love about this game. 

I love to play TLD at winter. I make myself big cup of hot tea and start the game. I enjoy, that I dont have to freeze myself like the character does. Unlike other games the situation in the TLD is quite possible IRL. I hardly will be driving spaceship, shooting through Washing DC or stealing cars. But it is possible to end up in cold forest where is nothing to eat but what you catch. The fact the game is believable is great.