Story Mode Update & Sandbox Roadmap

I don't mind waiting some more months for the story mode at all.

Something tells me it's going to take a bit longer than just a few months.

If it was a matter of a mere few months, I highly doubt Rafael would feel too embarrassed offering yet another prospective deadline he might very well have to break.

Have you seen the Sandbox Roadmap? That's a timeline for over a year!

So my guess is: the release of story mode is going to take at least 6-9 months. At a minimum. Heck, it could even take as much as 1½ year.

Edited by TWM

• Hinterland
2 hours ago, Diamondz said:

Hey Raph, I noticed that you mentioned horses in the game. How would that work? Do the horses have the ability to die or be harvested? Also, what is the parlay system and can you trade with the sandbox NPC's using furs as currency for goods such as kerosene or food items? Let me know when you get the chance, Thanks!!

Horses: I have some ideas but it's not a fully designed feature. We have a lot of other things to finish first. :)

For NPCs: I don't want to say too much at the moment.

• Upvote 3

• Hinterland
1 hour ago, TWM said:

Something tells me it's going to take a bit longer than just a few months.

If it was a matter of a mere few months, I highly doubt Rafael would feel too embarrassed offering yet another prospective deadline he might very well have to break.

Have you seen the Sandbox Roadmap? That's a timeline for over a year!

So my guess is: the release of story mode is going to take at least 6-9 months. At a minimum. Heck, it could even take as much as 1½ year.

Keep in mind the (aspirational) Sandbox Roadmap would span multiple releases. We're not saying we would try to get all that stuff done before launching Story Mode. We certainly would not. 

• Upvote 1

On 4/5/2016 at 0:42 AM, Raphael van Lierop said:

Keep in mind the (aspirational) Sandbox Roadmap would spam multiple releases. We're not saying we would try to get all that stuff done before launching Story Mode. We certainly would not. 

LOL,  You said "spam" when you meant span.  SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM 

"Spamming" releases would be the opposite of what the roadmap seems to call for...

Edited by selfless
  • Upvote 1

I was smiling all along when I read the Roadmap :) 

And the video..., damn... it's awesome.
A totally new feeling indoor. very nice. neat changes, I didnt expect that at all since everything was already so good.

Also: very good art design on character, very interesting style that seems to fit the general feeling of the game. You got me there too.

Thank's for the news!

• Upvote 2

Thanks for the update! And what a great video! I watched it three times in a row just to soak up all the goodness in it :)

And thank you for the roadmap. It's nice to be able to see what you've already got planned for us. It will also hopefully help stem the flow of people requesting the same feature over and over again while you're already planning to add it.

As for the delay, take the time you need. As you say, you can only release story mode once and I do want it to be the best experience it can be.

Keep up the good work!

Oh and thank you, thank you, thank you for bringing us regular updates again!!!

• Upvote 1

First off, amazing job with the sandbox. The sandbox content alone has been more than worth the price of admission.

Secondly, that content preview video: Sweet! I loved all the new details, the cracks in the lake ice filled with new snow, all the new interior details and objects, and then...

That aurora! With a pan to the burning power line! Carrington event turned up to eleven, a beautiful sky that ends civilization.

But really, the best part wasn't in the video, it was this statement in the announcement: "Instead, the majority of Episodes One and Two take place in brand new regions that will launch for the first time with Story Mode, so nobody will have seen them before."

Thank you so much for all new maps to go with story mode, it will definitely be worth the wait. Besides, I still have all this sand left to play with.

• Upvote 3

@Raphael van Lierop and everyone at Hinterland Studios.

Thank you for your candid insight into the road you have all traveled while working on The Long Dark.  It made for a thrilling read.  As someone entirely obsessed with games, I am so happy for the recent moves to add some transparency to the game development process.  Many times I have wished I could be a fly-on-the-wall to watch what goes on during the birthing of a new game. ^_^

Anyway, I just wanted to say a big Thank You for bringing us The Long Dark and for all the continued hard work that you and your team are investing into it.  While I am not an active contributor to these forums, I am an avid reader and have enjoyed well over 100 hours of the Sandbox.

In my eyes, Hinterland Studios is helping to pull the gaming industry out of adolescence and into maturity.  A grand statement, perhaps, but one I feel is true.  I wish you all continued success.

Edited by polarnomad
grammar
  • Upvote 1

Awesome is all I can say, great post @Raphael van Lierop

We/community now have the info we all craved for thank you, be it from the road map http://hinterlandgames.com/the-long-dark/roadmap/ or the community story mode progress http://hinterlandgames.com/community-update-story-mode/

I can't wait to see a cougar or moose in game, both should add a lot more realism to the wildlife. Do you guys get eagles? that would be cool to see or hear one of those in game.

Another suggestion I think I mentioned before, it would be cool to see a snow blindness / sunglasses feature of some sort? could be bright days your vision starts going not so good, but if you find / craft and wear sunglasses all is good.

Keep up the great work, i'm looking forwarded to the experimental mode. sounds like fun.

Edited by nicko

Raph this is a good direction to go in. It will both keep the community engaged and not make them lose heart with the story not ready yet. The decision to delay release on the story is correct. We have seen far far too many crap releases where the "SHIP IT!!!" mentality led to poor sales due to reputation loss and then in turn lack of resources to patch it up, looking at you Activision Ubisoft EA & Microsoft so again good decision. 

As for spinning up the sandbox again. Yes please! Even if this means the story mode doesn't come for another year while you structure and polish the sanbox needs regular updates to shimmy out bugs and refine. You guys have had an excellent pace 6-8 week pace with updates in the past and it has been missed with the anticipation of Story. It is completely understandable given that the two have huge quality and completeness expectations.

From the video I saw of the updated interior detail and outdoor details I am impressed and excited for when those come out. 

Also love the idea of an experimental branch. This should help aid testing of new mechanics. 

Thank you and your team again for making the right decision and know that we support TLD and it's continued progress. I eagerly anticipate you guys will be complete in time for Christmas but even if you aren't as long as we have regular sandbox updates life will be good. 

-KD7

• Upvote 1

Definitely the correct decision to make. The more refined the game is the more enjoyable it will be to play. To be honest I was quite apprehensive about a spring 2016 release, I felt that the release is too early as there is just so much more the game can offer. I'm happy about the announcement and very much look forward to all the additional content. Dev team... you had me at "Mod support" :)

You know, the current content of your $20 game eclipses everything in it's price range and even challenges some completed "AAA" titles that command a much higher price tag.

It doesn't need proving that your team know what they're doing.  The quality even in it's Alpha state proves that.

The delay doesn't bother me an iota - I've pumped 115+ hours into the title so far, loved every moment and I am yet to step foot into Timberwolf Mountain.

Take your time, Hinterland. It will be ready when it is ready. Until then, I'll be sure to pump in another 115 hours into it. :)

• Upvote 3

Besides his is good news, I want to say that this update text needed some balls to put out.

But I am glad you did.

As a gamer I always wanted a game that is about survival, exploration with a realistic background and a good story with strong characters. All these points are very important to me because they bring the most fun for me when playing a game.

Zombie bursting or other shooting action gameplay has become really boring because the motivation (the points I mentioned above) is missing and the rest is covered by multiplayer experiences.

When I found your campaign on Kickstarter I was already hooked. I agree that The Long Dark isn’t mainstream at all. And this is really good and what I enjoy. I love the fact that you support strong female characters that will bring a different experience.

The roadmap shows some awesome features I would love to see in the game.

New regular update cycle is coming soon? Awesome!

You guys at Hinterland are pioneers and I am really thankful for that. I feel like this is necessary for the games industry. I am glad you are an awesome example for good, modern game development and I hope other developer will follow.

Bad or no quality with games is apparently such a underrated thing (at least it seems to be) and it pisses my really off.

The way you go as a game developing company is not an easy way to go, but I am glad you do and I am glad that I am part of this project.

Honest and open communication (but not giving too much away) is key here. You got that. I think, most people in the community wanted a proof of life. And you showed a strong and confident one, so everything is fine for now.

Take the time it needs to make this unique game.

All the best from a long-standing fan of the game and its developers since Kickstarter in 2013.

• Upvote 5

Wow looks pretty cool! I really enjoy this game as it's right up my alley. It seems to be one of those games that bridges the generational gap between younger gamers and guys like me who may be a little longer in the tooth than some. If anybody gets my reference to Pasquinel they will know where I'm coming from... I'm probably what you might call a first generation gamer and am amazed at how games like this have developed into what we always hoped they would back in the day.

Keep it up!

• Upvote 2

Man I had to read through this whole wall of text only to find a link that has the most important announcement of all in it:

New travel options: Canoe

Freakin' Canoes? How awesome please is this? I'm going to tattoo TLD on my back for this :D Though one must wonder how we're supposed to drive a canoe over frozen rivers or is this a hint to future map updates? Such a small word, so much excitement :x

But all kidding aside it was a great read and proves once more that I made the right choice during winter sale on steam back in 2014 and that I will put many hundred more hours into TLD. I never witnessed the creation of a masterpiece so closely and involved and it's awesome to see what became of TLD already - and that's not even the real game, only sandbox.

Don't mind about the release date, if it were about me I'd be happy to see story mode in autumn, for exactly in one week Dark Souls 3 gets released (my other wife besides TLD that I love dearly ;)) and I never liked playing snowy TLD during hot summer days anyway. I prefere spending my spare time during summer outside in my (real life) canoe and not infront of my PC. So by all means, take your time and make us speechless again in September or October ;)

Edited by ChillPlayer
  • Upvote 3

Wait... 0:41 in the video, was that the toy tractor?!? My "prayers" have been answered! :coffee:  It's still on its side though... Hmmm... ;)

And 0:53, I recognize that shape in the distance, that's a speeder from a BC logging railroad, I can't remember which one, but I have an article in the now defunct Tall Timber Short Line about those units, very cool shop built stuff. They made several of them with old truck axles and other parts. Have you guys been to the museum at Duncan? I can't remember if they have one there or not. They have one of my favorite shay locomotives, she's just tiny, and someday I'll go visit.

I am about to lose my mind here guys, this just keeps getting better and better and better, keep it up!

Sam

• Upvote 2

Clap clap clap clap clap...

Nice to see this and I really enjoyed the read and new vid.. Sign me up for the extended testing, I would like very much to be involved with that.. How are you going to handle that aspect of things. I know with Steam you can do a beta branch, just not sure how that would work for the pads and game consoles.

Edited by JoseyWales

• Hinterland
17 minutes ago, Rusty_Old_F250 said:

Wait... 0:41 in the video, was that the toy tractor?!? My "prayers" have been answered! :coffee:  It's still on its side though... Hmmm... ;)

And 0:53, I recognize that shape in the distance, that's a speeder from a BC logging railroad, I can't remember which one, but I have an article in the now defunct Tall Timber Short Line about those units, very cool shop built stuff. They made several of them with old truck axles and other parts. Have you guys been to the museum at Duncan? I can't remember if they have one there or not. They have one of my favorite shay locomotives, she's just tiny, and someday I'll go visit.

I am about to lose my mind here guys, this just keeps getting better and better and better, keep it up!

Sam

Yup. It's called a "crummy". :)

• Upvote 2

Finally had an opportunity to watch the teaser video and it is amazing. All the new upgraded textures and colours! The Hydro Dam in particular looks absolutely astonishing!

It does make me even more nostalgic for those days of yore in late 2014 when the game first came out :)

I really hope there will be a "ye olden days" mod. Don't get me wrong, I'm eagerly awaiting the next update now with the new features and interiors (I sense a new game in my future), but it will be nice to have the option to take a trip down memory lane :D

Edited by cekivi

Holy... how did I miss that update earlier today? Boy, I feel... good. Relieved somehow. I mean I never doubted that story mode will come out and I never doubted that it's going to be great and all. But, I don't know... EA game development seems to have some - how to call it - emotional momentum? I needed some love. And there it is.

Only just took a brief look, and there is a lot of amazing stuff, much more than I expected really. But the biggest point for me is that sandbox updates are coming back. They don't even have to be big - introduce a new item, some new animal behaviour, a little honing here and there, and I feel like diving back in and exploring again. Going radio silent for too long is bad for the community, I've seen it with other EA or kickstarter games - first people get angry, at some point they start raging on various forums, then things start dying down and people lose interest. That shouldn't happen, even if the game still comes out at some point and is great.

So, all in all - I think you made the right decision at the right time. Excitement is back. :) 

• Upvote 3