Story Mode Update & Sandbox Roadmap

2 minutes ago, Raphael van Lierop said:

Yup. It's called a "crummy". :)

That's the name I was looking for! I knew they had a special name for them, couldn't remember exactly what they called it. I've always been fascinated by what the loggers came up with, camp 18 in oregon has a what used to be a 38 or 39 ford truck that is now a log skidder, it would put mad max to shame! there's a video of it on youtube, I'll put a link to it in a new topic in the survival and outdoor activities section.

Sam

I am also glad to see some sort of update on how things are going.Been playing this game for a long time now and is the only one i still currently play almost everyday.The future updates to the game look very interesting and cant wait for them.Even something small makes my want to dive back into the game so keep up the great work.

Hi Raphael,

Thank you so much for the update. For me, I never doubted that you were all fully hard at work on this game, but it is nice to hear your plans, hopes and dreams along with a progress update. I think you made the right decision on taking longer on this one. I find it reassuring that although you are broadening the scope a little, everything I read about this seems to be in keeping with an intensely personal, emotional experience. 

I was very excited by the new teaser footage. The sparking, flaming power lines especially! The Carrington Event has fascinated me for a long time - probably down to the cool name. I'm kinda hoping it isn't a supernatural event, there's still something immensely mysterious and potentially mythic about this scientific calamity knocking us back to a primitive level. The increased detail looks very intriguing and atmospheric, without sacrificing the evocative feeling of the art style. I'm very excited to meet characters out there too. I hope they're infrequent enough to preserve the feeling loneliness in the game, but I'm certain you know what your doing. 

It's rare that a game engages me this much. I adore Cities Skylines, and am having a surprising amount of fun in American Truck Simulator (a game I only bought in fond memory of a Nevada road trip) - but no game has made me conjure up my own stories in daydreams as much as this one has. Not even Sunless Sea, and that was hugely atmospheric. I think you've found some sort of magical sweet-spot in world building, narrative, art style and mechanics and I for one wouldn't be surprised if you return to your office one day to find other developers rifling through your waste-paper baskets for discarded notes. I only ask that you keep in mind the ability for a player to tell their own story through journals and keepsakes and maybe the discovery of play-session diaries and stories uploaded from other players, that can be found on bodies and in cabins.

I don't ask my favourite novelists, artists and film-makes to rush their works, and I'm not going to ask you. I'd rather wait for the chance of a legendary game, rather than pressure you into giving us something compromised and undercooked.

Heaps of respect. 

Pete

Edited by Nervous Pete
  • Upvote 4

I logged on today with a "Is story mode released yet?" Attitude. I log off today hopping all around my room with excitement, and my partner asking we what is going on. Thank you so much for sharing this, I'm bubbling over with excitement. I just can't wait. Keep up the great work. I love your game.

• Upvote 3

I don't have too much to add that hasn't already been said.  Really excited for the new features!  Usually I'm hesitant to buy Early Access games, but this one has more than exceeded my expectations.  I have almost 300 hours played according to my Steam stats, which is on par with my Dragon Age hours.  My longest played game is Skyrim with 913 hours.  With all the features you have planned, I well expect TLD to meet or exceed my Skyrim hours!  You are building a classic.  I am more than willing to wait for the Story mode, and am eagerly anticipating the Sandbox updates in the meantime!

Edited by Vhalkyrie

14 hours ago, Vhalkyrie said:

I have almost 300 hours played according to my Steam stats, which is on par with my Dragon Age hours.  

Finally, my soul brother. ;P I loved Dragon Age Origins so much I can´t even remember how many times I made a full playthrough ;P

Edited by June
  • Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Vhalkyrie said:

You are building a classic.

I've been thinking about this. The Long Dark has come so far from when I first joined this trip, and many a time I have asked myself... Will this game become one of the greats? Everything about it is just so set to be incredible, I think Hinterland can pull off something truly amazing here, rivaling AAA titles and showing people that indie games can be incredible too. Everything about it is actually really inspiring, and I love them for it.

I'd also like to say... Have you ever played a AAA survival game? Can anyone here remember a time when they played a game that was AAA from launch and based in the survival genre? This game could send Hinterland right to the top, and if this is the game to do it, it could bring a new light, and something different to the awful market of fps garbage that AAA companies seem to be shoveling out at an alarming rate. Not only are Hinterland building a better game, they're building a better market. For gamers.

Or maybe I'm looking way too deep into this.

• Upvote 6

On 4/5/2016 at 2:11 PM, Raphael van Lierop said:

Horses: I have some ideas but it's not a fully designed feature. We have a lot of other things to finish first. :)

For NPCs: I don't want to say too much at the moment.

spring / summer maybe (transport)? else frozen horse :) or was you thinking of huge amount of horse pies (food).

1 hour ago, The_Saltshaker said:

Are those small rocks around the frozen river (they don't look like sticks), possible basic weapon/tool (flint?) item? 
And/or/ fire pit material?

Dude, I think I watched that trailer five times and never realized that was there! Great finding!

• Upvote 2

On 4/5/2016 at 9:54 PM, Diamondz said:

Hey Raph, I noticed that you mentioned horses in the game. How would that work? Do the horses have the ability to die or be harvested? Also, what is the parlay system and can you trade with the sandbox NPC's using furs as currency for goods such as kerosene or food items? Let me know when you get the chance, Thanks!!

Be patient young padawan! Wait... wrong game!

• Upvote 2

On April 5, 2016 at 10:13 AM, ChillPlayer said:

Man I had to read through this whole wall of text only to find a link that has the most important announcement of all in it:

Freakin' Canoes? How awesome please is this? I'm going to tattoo TLD on my back for this :D Though one must wonder how we're supposed to drive a canoe over frozen rivers or is this a hint to future map updates?

Silly, There will be a springtime, read the roadmap lol :-)

6-12 Month Window

• Mod support
  • Spring Sandbox

exciting right?!  *jump skip jump*

On 4/4/2016 at 5:07 PM, cekivi said:

I agree that the road map looks great! :D

I am concerned though that two of my least favourite alpha addition suggestions (cougars and revolvers) seem to have made it onto the list. They may be good... but I'm still apprehensive :|

wolves are enough of a navigational hazard

Really looking forward to the update (next week!). I have been a pretty dedicated PC gamer for many years, but recently stopped all gaming except for TLD. I haven't played much though after settling into the cabin at Timberwolf Mountain. I expect to start my TLDdiction again.