Story Mode Update & Sandbox Roadmap

• Hinterland

Hello all!

It's Spring 2016, and you've been patiently waiting for news on Story mode. We've put together an extensive post providing a progress update, as well as a video showing some of the content and features we'll be releasing with launch, and a link to a development roadmap for Sandbox Mode.

You can check out the Story Mode progress update here

- Raph

• Upvote 21

Allow me to quote you:

Don’t ship it until it’s done. Hold on to it until it’s ready. You have too much riding on this. You only get to launch this once. This is your future. People are counting on you.

Never hesitate this is the right thing to do. As a former employee of a Triple A game company... who always makes the same mistake, this is a lesson I know by heart. Don't allow TLD to be rushed so close to the finish line. As you very well said: you can only launch the game once!

You guys are building a unique master piece. Be proud of it, and make sure you feel the same way when the game launches. 

Thanks for the update Raphael!

Edit: sorry, had to run another quote:

And you won’t get another promise from me about when it will ship, until we are close enough to being done with it that I can say with 100% certainty, and give you a definitive date that I know isn’t going to end up with us pushing out an experience we aren’t 100% satisfied with.

Another wise move! This is also something that can be seen in most Early Access and Kickstarters. The original design vs the evolved design has this effect on timelines ;)

I'm following a few other Early Access, and this has happened in ALL of them. At some point, the devs feel bad about missing the same deadline so many times... then you guys say no more ETAs. Which is fine. 

We all need to learn how to play with this new development rules. We'll learn together ;)

Edited by Ohbal
  • Upvote 8

THANK YOU! THANK YOU!!

A couple of things I'd like to comment on, but first, let me remind everyone that I'm fairly new to this game, having only been playing it for the past 30 days. 

That said, let me touch on a couple of things.

First, I did not know that you started this as an iPad game! As someone who is an avid iPad user since 2011, when I used my first iPad in my online MBA course, and now play a variety of games on this platform, that tidbit caught my eye. I understand the reasons for leaving the iOS platform behind at the time. The older iPads (including my second one, an Air) just aren't powerful enough to drive the kind of game that a PC/Mac can support. However, the newest iPad Pros (both 9.7 and 12.9 inch models) are considered as powerful as the MacBook Pro, Apple's high end laptops. It makes me wonder what you can accomplish, if you had started this process today with that original idea? Of course, I doubt that it can be easily done at this point in development, simply because of the logistics involved (iOS operating system, lack of Steam support, need to establish a presence in the iOS App Store, etc). As things stand, I'm just so happy that it runs so well on the Mac as it does today.

Second, as a female player, this comment really stood out:

The original plan was to play the story of Will Mackenzie. Instead, you’ll be playing the story from two points of view — Mackenzie’s, and Dr. Astrid Greenwood. Why add another playable character? Two reasons. The first reason is that it’ll let us tell a better story, the story we really want to tell. The second reason is because it’s 2016 and I have a daughter and she should be able to grow up in a world where she has strong female characters to play and look up to. (I also have a son, and he should also have the choice to play a strong female character if he likes. And not in a Mass Effect kind of “be male or female Shepherd” kind of way, but in the kind of way where you play two distinct characters, and experience two distinct points of view.)

Yes, yes, yes! I've played male characters before, and I really don't have a problem with it (Firewatch being the most recent one). But given a choice, I prefer playing female characters more and seeing how far I can push them. In some games, there's no difference, and those games don't keep my attention much. But in those games where there is a difference (as IRL, and I'm talking more physical limitations due to being smaller and more bottom heavy, and having a physiology geared more towards carrying an increasing burden over nine+ months), I really enjoy pushing those limits and seeing where I can take those female characters. 

I think I would enjoy playing Story Mode with both characters . . .

And the trailer showing the differences is great. I really especially appreciate the difference in color gradient - much more realistic. I also do like that you don't lose the Jerry Schurr quality of the landscape, one of the hugest graphic features that drew me to this game (and to Firewatch, as well).

I will continue to wait patiently, and keep playing the Sandbox. I really have not reached the saturation point yet. Long way from it! When you're ready to release it, I will be ready to enjoy it!

• Upvote 6

This is fantastic - new looks, the first person actual character models (something I loved about Mirror's Edge), and now the roadmap! Please keep right on working, and release story mode when it is ready, so that we're all blown away by it.

The stuff in the roadmap (especially longer range) is making me drool...

The roadmap is nothing but awesome, I just can't wait to have moose, cougars and especially that beautiful aurora ingame! Not to mention NPCS and the new challenge mode ofc! :love:

The optical rework also looks amazing. All those tiny details (e.g. the teddy, the old crooked shutter or the golden trophy on top of the cupboard) add a whole lot of atmosphere and life to the game world. Really makes me wonder who once lived in these houses and why and under which circumstances they left.

I don't mind waiting some more months for the story mode at all. It's obvious that you're working hard to improve the game and I bet most players will agree that it's way better to get a diamond in a year than a quartz next week. All that being said, I very much appreciate your decision to release new sandbox updates until story mode is ready to launch!:excited:

Edited by Scyzara
  • Upvote 5

Maybe they are not doing those updates cause they want to create a good change when they finnaly release the story mode...
I mean, i dont think that story mode is going to add more mechanics... for example...
maybe they are going to add a new map (idk) but its better if the story mode comes with it...
Also, im sure that they are going to release the story mode soon... maybe this month... or the next one...

I agree that the road map looks great! :D

I am concerned though that two of my least favourite alpha addition suggestions (cougars and revolvers) seem to have made it onto the list. They may be good... but I'm still apprehensive :|

Edited by cekivi
  • Upvote 1

Wow, just wow. I´ve never experienced so much dedication of a team to it´s creative product. Such honest words in the linked post! So much love.

We´ll gladly wait for your vision to come true!!!

Don´t ship it till it´s done.

" We aren’t saving anything for the swim back to shore." :love:

• Upvote 3

• Hinterland
52 minutes ago, cekivi said:

I am concerned though that two of my least favourite alpha addition suggestions (cougars and revolvers) seem to have made it onto the list. They may be good... but I'm still apprehensive :|

You can blame me if you don't like what we do with them. Keep in mind all the caveats on that Roadmap page. And also, we've had those things on our internal lists for a long, long time. :)

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Raphael van Lierop said:

You can blame me if you don't like what we do with them. Keep in mind all the caveats on that Roadmap page. And also, we've had those things on our internal lists for a long, long time. :)

Fair enough. You haven't let the community down yet :)

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, cekivi said:

Please, no Wolverines...

• Upvote 1

To All the Devs'

WOW ! read the update and watch the video,I thought the first video was a true wow,but this one so out does it,Awesome,WOW ! I knew you all were working hard,but not that hard,wow. Waiting is so hard to do and it will be so worth it.Thank you for continueing your dream and sharing it with use who love the TLD. I thank you al again for such a excellent game and a alpha to boot. It has been more than worth the money and waiting time to date. Please keep up the exllent work and always,take your time and out do all the other rush job games. Thank you all .:P

• Upvote 2

Hey Raph, I noticed that you mentioned horses in the game. How would that work? Do the horses have the ability to die or be harvested? Also, what is the parlay system and can you trade with the sandbox NPC's using furs as currency for goods such as kerosene or food items? Let me know when you get the chance, Thanks!!

Edited by Diamondz
  • Upvote 1