September Dev Diary

Admin

This. Is. AWESOME!! I can barely contain my excitement

Seeing the clothing you have equipped in first person is something I've wanted to see ever since i started playing this game.
Thank you so much for finally making this dream a reality!!

I'm also really excited to see some of these new animations you guys have cooked up. Looks like the rifle and revolver reloads have been changed, which is awesome.

And those 150 bug fixes warmed my heart more than any tea or coffee could.

Thanks for continuing to make this game more and more awesome with each update!! Super excited for the next content drop :D

This is an amazing update! The first person presence will be much more immersive. ^^. Also I didn't expect an open pit strip mine! I feel like this'll be my new favorite region. 

I wonder if the pit will be super cold at the bottom due to cold air being unable to escape!

I'm so hopeful for what's to come!

Also, I'm very interested in what those new projects are. :o

• Upvote 1

I was just saying I could not wait for the new Dev update.  All of this is exciting. I can't wait for more in depth details on Part 4. I will admit I was hoping for sooner, but totally understand why. With 150+ bugs, that is massive. Better to fix the bugs first before adding another update with new content.  This entire Dev update was awesome. Very excited for when we get more info.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, MarrowStone said:

I wonder if the pit will be super cold at the bottom due to cold air being unable to escape!

I've been to the bottom of several of these types of mines (albeit in Nevada, US) and did not notice any temperature difference.  We'll see!

Edited by hozz1235
  • Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Admin said:
  • proper coverings for first-person hands!

In the clips, it looks like you guys also factored in the shirts we wear!

16 hours ago, Admin said:

The new Mine region, coming in TALES, Part Four

That’s just concept art (I think) but the idea of having a region where snow won’t be the only ground texture is kind of jarring… that being said, it kind of reminds me of one of the levels from Crysis…

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, hozz1235 said:

I've been to the bottom of several of these types of mines (albeit in Nevada, US) and did not notice any temperature difference.  We'll see!

There's a sinkhole in utah that is frequently the coldest temperature in the lower US. Similar basins can be much colder than even the peaks of nearby mountains!

I assume a strip mine without an outlet for cold air to sink into would also have this phenomenon. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, MarrowStone said:

There's a sinkhole in utah that is frequently the coldest temperature in the lower US. Similar basins can be much colder than even the peaks of nearby mountains!

I assume a strip mine without an outlet for cold air to sink into would also have this phenomenon. 

Oh yeah, I can see a sinkhole (with vertical sides) retaining cold much more so than an open pit mine with gradient sides.  I'm just speaking from my own experiences.  It does make sense that there will be some difference in temperature between surface temp and bottom temp.  I just don't imagine the difference would be that large.

Now that we're on the topic, I believe a lot of depends on airflow.  There is an old lava-tube near me that has ICE in it, even when the outside surface temperature is in the 100s F.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Glflegolas said:

I think by "The Long Dark is finished" what is meant is that: Episode 5 of Wintermute is released.

As long as the game remains popular, there's no reason for Hinterland to not release another DLC. This can occur as the studio is developing new games which I'm sure will be very enjoyable too!

Yes, but sadly i don't seem this very plausible, because HTL it's likely gonna be focused on the next IPs rather than expand an already big and polished (And by the time, finished) game.

In any case, we still have more than a year of content and new gameplay to enjoy! :D

8 hours ago, Edsel said:

Any news with the switch update?

I think the devs have forgotten about that console.

All the updates and bug fixes are just focused on pc, playstation and xbox.

The last update it received is perilous contraint.

I think the reason this update is slated for the end of the year might be because they're trying to get everything ready for the Switch like they said back in May but I'd still like to see it in writing that that is the plan myself.

18 hours ago, hozz1235 said:

Funnily enough, this is actually a real phenomenon! Cold air collects at the bottom of pits or depressions in the landscape, causing extreme temperatures

it would be pretty cool to make the pit bottom colder than the top. Kinda like this region's unique feature.
Airfield had glimmer fog, the pit mine could have this, forcing people out of the mine and up onto slopes to escape the cold

Edited by BugReportEnthusiast
more ideas
  • Upvote 3
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, BugReportEnthusiast said:

Funnily enough, this is actually a real phenomenon! Cold air collects at the bottom of pits or depressions in the landscape, causing extreme temperatures

it would be pretty cool to make the pit bottom colder than the top. Kinda like this region's unique feature.
Airfield had glimmer fog, the pit mine could have this, forcing people out of the mine and up onto slopes to escape the cold

Interesting. I'm not denying these phenomenon don't exist, they just appear to be extremely rare (as in my ice cave example).  As we've seen with other aspects of TLD, anything is possible ;)

Thanks for sharing!

Edited by hozz1235
  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Thanks for this update, things look very exciting for the future, 3 upcoming projects including two "ambitious" ones ? Woaw! Can't wait to hear more about these. And the continuation of FT as well as ep5 are great news too, keep up the great work!

Edited by yoli

On 9/13/2023 at 11:44 PM, Enigmaecho said:

“By the time The Long Dark is finished” is the saddest words I’ll ever see written from you Raph. I don’t want it to end 😔

I’d like to see more paid content in the future that gets the money that it’s worth. Personally I feel that I would have paid $75-$100 for the new update that only cost $20. I feel that each single portion of this update would have been worth $20+ with the amount of time many players spend engaged in the game. 

Hello!!!! Any news on the switch yet? I’m a very loyal player and have been waiting very patiently to hear any news…. any. Last I heard was maybe end of 2023 and that was when? April?  I’ve been avoiding this site, and all of my favourite streamers as well ,to avoid  spoilers. We who play on switch haven’t seen even 1 of the updates while other platforms have had many updates and new content. I’m just a tad disappointed. I love this game but am very frustrated that I cannot play any new content. Is this going to be another green hell thing where switch is forgotten in the forward movement? Please just tell us the truth. Are we going to see another update on switch or has something with Nintendo made it too hard to implement new updates?