September Dev Diary

Admin

6 hours ago, Mistral said:

Yes, on the Steam store page for TFTFT it still claims a 12 month campaign
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2091330/The_Long_Dark_Tales_from_the_Far_Territory/

The same reads on official TLD expansion page
https://www.thelongdark.com/expansion/

And FAQ page + it also still claims there's update roughly every 8-10 weeks (lol)
https://www.thelongdark.com/expansion/faq/

It's no wonder people are confused when it's just mentioned on a random blog post posted a long time ago

Agreed, while they have made the effort to communicate that these things were subject to "development realities" as they like to call it since the start of the project, the fact that this change isn't reflected anywhere else is a serious error on their part.  At least they still plan to release the whole pack, that's really the only saving grace.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Bimbobjoejr. said:

Do the updated hand coverings extend to the arms too? It seems the arms change depending on the coat or undershirt as well in the examples 

Yep, seems like it:

Fleece mittens + Light shellQoL_Gloves_02.gif.219061bbb94b1fbbe184b81461309ffe.gif

Wool mittens + Windbreaker

QoL_Gloves_03_v2.gif.74a2d5a5ddd096569af12c53ca16c8d0.gif

Driving gloves + Wool shirt:

QoL_Gloves_01.gif.fd00eb67861cc2d0ec072123574fce17.gif

Gauntlets + T-Shirt

QoL_Gloves_06.gif.3ed387a1952f3388a9c43bd2e7aa1775.gif

Very excited for this, I always dismissed it as fluff before using Waltz's mod, but now I absolutely understand why people wanted this feature for so long. Super cool!

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the update, looking forward to the new region and updates!

I can see various comments on lack of comms, and someone called it a scam as it's not being delivered on time.

My only comment would be delivering something late is NOT a scam, it's just missing a deadline, unfortunate, yep, but so far off a scam as I can imagine.

I'm not sure where or what some people read about the gaming market, kickstater projects etc, but TLD has over delivered by about 5000% compared to many of these shady companies.

I always do say comms could be better, and Raph using X for his comments is a shame as it's now difficult to access without an account, and Musk is someone, who in good conscience, I cannot offer tacit support to as he has politicised his platform and promoted conspiracies.

BTW, I realise this is a personal decision and is about my choices, but either way, it's a frustrating place to get infromation from now, and of course people have the right to say and do what they want, just as I have the right to choose not to support them, so let's ignore that debate before it starts!

Edited by chrislacruz
  • Upvote 1
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, Dan_ said:

Very excited for this, I always dismissed it

same here..., i saw it as a nice to have, but understood how the effort/added value/other priorities triangle has pushed its development for this long.
Seeing these short clips I find it actually to be quite a big immersion improvement. fascinating:)

4 hours ago, chrislacruz said:

so let's ignore that debate before it starts!

don't see how your political opinion of X/Twitter has any bearing on the DLC.  You being unwilling to look up the info on a public forum and saying it is bad communication is very much in the same vein as the people who call missing deadlines a scam.  If the info is there and you know where it is then is it really bad communication?  Not debating whether or not you choose to use X, but you choosing to not look for updates on X seems like a you problem rather than a developer problem.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Dan_ said:

QoL_Gloves_06.gif.3ed387a1952f3388a9c43bd2e7aa1775.gif

Are those bare arms? I only noticed now that they seem to be pasty white. I'm not a huge fan of the paper doll colors, but I can live with it there. But I think in first person the hands and arms should be flesh colored.

Overall I agree with others. It may look like a lot of effort put into something that doesn't seem important, but after playing with the Personality mod it really adds a lot of immersion. The mod also does a cool thing with mittens where one sometimes dangles off the wrist when you'd need your fingers for something more delicate.

3 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

It could be the dress shirt..    either way I'd be more bothered about freezing than shooting something

True, I thought there was another option of what clothing item it could be, but I forgot that the dress shirt exists since I never use it.

Maybe they're wearing a Cowichan sweater under the dress shirt? Sometimes you've gotta go for style instead of survivability.

5 minutes ago, Smellyfries said:

True, I thought there was another option of what clothing item it could be, but I forgot that the dress shirt exists since I never use it.

Maybe they're wearing a Cowichan sweater under the dress shirt? Sometimes you've gotta go for style instead of survivability.

I don't use it either but it's surprisingly warm for what it is.

Lol.. that's true..  especially with the camera coming soon..got to look dapper for the trophy pictures😊

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Homesteader4Life said:

You being unwilling to look up the info on a public forum and saying it is bad communication is very much in the same vein as the people who call missing deadlines a scam. 

Yes, of course it is, exactly the same.

My point, which has been raised before on here by others , is that twitter often gets notes, updates and pictures, which are then shared by people on this forum so we can all see them.  I have never really used Twitter, but used to keep an eye out for a few people I followed, like Raph and Hinterland, but I don't use it anymore.

But I am chagrined, and will ensure I access Twitter to get the latest info, rather than the official forum from now on.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, chrislacruz said:

My point, which has been raised before on here by others , is that twitter often gets notes, updates and pictures, which are then shared by people on this forum so we can all see them.  

I really don't understand, and upsets me, that he responds on Twitter vs. their company's official forums.  Maybe he doesn't have time to read through all our posts (understandable) but at the same time, that was the purpose of the mailbag - for the community manager to gather questions and Raph can answer them all in one post.  I really miss that.

Edited by hozz1235
  • Upvote 6
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Serenity said:

Are those bare arms? I only noticed now that they seem to be pasty white. I'm not a huge fan of the paper doll colors, but I can live with it there. But I think in first person the hands and arms should be flesh colored.

I'm assuming these are the bare forearms as they look very thin to me, hence why I assumed this is the T-shirt being displayed. It could very well be the dress shirt or fisherman's sweater being dwarfed by the massive gauntlets, but given the fingers on the gauntlets are human sized and provide a decent frame of reference, I'd bet this is Jennifer rocking gauntlets and a tee. 

@hozz1235 I agree wholeheartedly, the mailbag was a nice window into the minds that built the game, peppered with news and teasers for the next updates. I miss 'em.  I guess Raph just got tired of us in the forums, folks here get a bit too passionate about the game sometimes. :D Twitter is a terrible choice, as it represents an antipodal point to the digital escapism I seek when playing this game, I hope there is still life left in this game after tales is done to warrant new content drops/DLCs. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

image.png.6153caa9c4f28d303596402574b19010.png
Super curious to find out more about this... Hopefully it becomes a cleaner way to take HUD-less screenshots.

I mean, currently on the PC... I can press F10, but those images are just too big (files size that is).  So to get reasonably sized screenshots, I find I have to press F10 & F12 simultaneously (which sometimes if not timed perfectly results in two screenshots... one with HUD and one without).  

I suppose... this may give consolers' a better way to get screenshots also.  🤔

:coffee::fire::coffee:

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, ManicManiac said:

image.png.6153caa9c4f28d303596402574b19010.png
Super curious to find out more about this... Hopefully it becomes a cleaner way to take HUD-less screenshots.

I mean, currently on the PC... I can press F10, but those images are just too big (files size that is).  So to get reasonably sized screenshots, I find I have to press F10 & F12 simultaneously (which sometimes if not timed perfectly results in two screenshots... one with HUD and one without).  

I suppose... this may give consolers' a better way to get screenshots also.  🤔

:coffee::fire::coffee:

I'm really looking forward to this...   whether it's for our bases or screenshots it's going to be fun.. and as I'm a total tech phobic posting screenshots on console would be great😊

• Upvote 3

@Admin , recently I went back to playing Wintermute and noticed none of the dlc features are there, not even the free stuff like oak trees.  This makes me think that the new hand/arm coverings are only going to be in Survival.  Is that the plan?

Edited by rush247
  • Upvote 1

On 9/23/2023 at 3:37 AM, rush247 said:

@Admin , recently I went back to playing Wintermute and noticed none of the dlc features are there, not even the free stuff like oak trees.  This makes me think that the new hand/arm coverings are only going to be in Survival.  Is that the plan?

They are now two completely different platforms so I don't think they're gonna bother

(Until Episode 5 comes out in few years, then I assume they'll carry over some of the features such as those arm asthetics)

1 hour ago, Mistral said:

They are now two completely different platforms so I don't think they're gonna bother

(Until Episode 5 comes out in few years, then I assume they'll carry over some of the features such as those arm asthetics)

I understand why, it's been marketed as an expansion for survival only from day one.   I really hope that they make an exception in this case though, not seeing any oak trees in Wintermute is weird enough.