September Dev Diary

Admin

I hate to say it but this dev diary is astoundingly disappointing, we players have NOT found ourselves reading a dev diary for almost three months, which had not happened before, and we have to wait another two or three months for the next part of TALES. So what are you guys doing in these months? Shouldn't we players be respected and know how things are going? A small piece of article could have done it, this wouldn't take long. 

And there are absolutely no apologies and explanations, just cliches of "very busy".

I am furious, this is not what I expected when I bought this DLC, whose content is expected to be completed in one year.

Sure, the dev team told us that 8-10-week cadence is unavailable in May, but how long? We do NOT know by now. Why would you promise this cadence if you cannot calculate? And why cannot you calculate after you broke your promise while you can when you persuaded us to buy the DLC?

Perhaps we have the cadence when you told us that part four is "targeting release by the end of the year", which means the cadence is half a year, 26 weeks since the last part was released in late June. You could tell us, but you are afraid of terrifying potential buyers.

TOTAL SCAM.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 3

Well, 6 month gap between updates is only slightly more than the originally promised 8-10 weeks, right?

Right?

Don't forget there's now aim to finish Part 5, Part 6, AND Episode 5 all in 2024 (while simultaneously working on new projects). I'm sure that'll all work out in scheduled time.

Edited by Mistral
  • Upvote 2

6 hours ago, rush247 said:

@miakiy, if you're that upset maybe you should go ask for a refund through the market you used.  I know the made a special request to Steam to have the usual conditions waved so anyone can get a refund for the dlc but I'm not sure about others.

https://store.steampowered.com/steam_refunds/

Thanks, I have all the rights to express my disappointment including a refund and speaking out loud.

2 hours ago, miakiy said:

Thanks, I have all the rights to express my disappointment including a refund and speaking out loud.

Never said you didn't, was just trying to make sure you knew such considerations had been made so you could get one regardless of what Steam's policy says.

Edited by rush247
  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1

So if the artwork of the mine is true/accurate. Does it means "pack lot of sticks/wood before you enter, otherwise you will not start fire here"? There may be lot of cola there since it is mine and all caves and mines around contains coal. But you will not start fire with just coal.

On 9/13/2023 at 7:36 PM, Admin said:

The new Min region, coming in TALES, Part Four
The new Mine region, coming in TALES, Part Four

I was looking at this a bit closer and that green patch, I know some people thought it was grass or gas. But I think it's a pond or lake.  And they dumped the chemicals from the mine production in there polluting it.  I honestly think it is a toxic pond that has been frozen over.  In which case, I do not wanna fall in.

19 minutes ago, LumiStylesTTV said:

I was looking at this a bit closer and that green patch, I know some people thought it was grass or gas. But I think it's a pond or lake.  And they dumped the chemicals from the mine production in there polluting it.  I honestly think it is a toxic pond that has been frozen over.  In which case, I do not wanna fall in.

Or try fishing lol..  three headed fish don't appeal 😁

• Upvote 1

‘New hazards’ sounds great, but as I understand it will be tied to the new area. Would it be possible at some point to actually have some kind of mid/late game hardship which forces me to move and check other regions maybe?

I do custom games with difficulty higher than Interloper, and survival always becomes trivial at some point. And it feels very immersion breaking forcing myself to explore all regions when I know I can just stay at the same place and survive with no issues whatsoever without having to move at all.

The game has a huge potential, and all additions always make survival easier, never any harder. Can we please please have some kind of addition to keep the survival feeling running after 40-50 days? I’ll be content with anything contributing to this. And I know I am not the only one that wants this

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ludwig_II said:

The game has a huge potential, and all additions always make survival easier, never any harder. Can we please please have some kind of addition to keep the survival feeling running after 40-50 days? I’ll be content with anything contributing to this. And I know I am not the only one that wants this

Agree, I'd rather take making the late game finally harder & more meaningful any day over any of these other features. The biggest issue in the game has always been that you can easily survive forever, in any official or custom difficulty (excluding mods) if you just make it past the first 40-50 days in proper fashion.

Edited by Mistral

2 hours ago, LumiStylesTTV said:

I honestly think it is a toxic pond that has been frozen over.  In which case, I do not wanna fall in.

I wonder what the result would be. Poisoning the character causing permanent damage? Or making all food on you not usable? And by not usable I mean even when you have cooking lvl 5. Or it could be some poisoning, which has to be treated some way. We will see (or not if it is not the case).

13 hours ago, Leeanda said:

Or try fishing lol..  three headed fish don't appeal 😁

Good ol' Simpsons and the 3 eyed fish.

11 hours ago, acada said:

I wonder what the result would be. Poisoning the character causing permanent damage? Or making all food on you not usable? And by not usable I mean even when you have cooking lvl 5. Or it could be some poisoning, which has to be treated some way. We will see (or not if it is not the case).

I wonder if it'll be an exposure thing. Like maybe that body of water is connected to the water supply, making it hazardous to drink. (Water from toilets or stored water). And even using the water purifying tablets do nothing. Probably wouldn't want to collect snow in that region either lol. If all of Great Bear had earthquakes there was definitely some chemical spills that were not contained. With the power down, they likely either abandoned the area or died trying.

OMG, what if there are Timberwolves and they mutated. Because surely in one of the areas of the far territory there is Timberwolves!!!!!

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Ludwig_II said:

‘New hazards’ sounds great, but as I understand it will be tied to the new area. Would it be possible at some point to actually have some kind of mid/late game hardship which forces me to move and check other regions maybe?

I do custom games with difficulty higher than Interloper, and survival always becomes trivial at some point. And it feels very immersion breaking forcing myself to explore all regions when I know I can just stay at the same place and survive with no issues whatsoever without having to move at all.

I feel you. I also play "hard difficulty" and i know exactly what you mean. I often come up with goals while i play long term to travel thru the entire world like - hunt all the bears, go and find a moose, collect gazilion pieces of coal, go to BI kill  all the wolves etc. Would be cool to have a system in place that would force you to fight for your life so to speak. Someone mentioned something like a huge blizzard invading specific regions, roaming for days or weeks with no wildlife what so ever and insane temps, wind and ice shredding clothes fast. Mega aurora with bolts of lightning maybe? Insane cold waves. 

I know we can max out the settings in custom so the game becomes really really hard but still it all comes up to making fires more often and serious travel limitations. Once you break the 50 day mark and have clothes, backpack, bow, tools and maglense you can "camp" even on NOGOA settings - done that. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Vinceofpyrenees said:

"Hazards"... Earthquakes ?

Avalanches of snow would be fun. Or even snow falls from walking under trees that would instantly lower hp + soak your outer clothes. I keep thinking the game needs more reasons to make us look up. Too busy picking sticks off the ground. Lol

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

Maybe those mining apparatus?

With the aurora or glimmer fog already affecting those machines in unpredictable ways. Obviously it depends on what machines they got there, but those could become a deadly trap during an aurora or glimmer fog. It is a bad idea to go in an open pit mine when a geomagnetic storm/electrostatic fog can happen at any time.

Not to mention the run-off, pools of toxic chemicals, maybe a cougar stalking the zone and the earthquake that hit Great Bear Island (which very likely caused the mine to collapse, making it even more dangerous that before).

I wouldn't be suprised if this region is far worse that Blackrock and Bleak Inlet (in terms of region's hostility.)

4 minutes ago, hipsu555 said:

Part 4 end of the year? That's 6 months for one update.

Also the "12-month campaign" for Tales will end in December. Part 5 & 6 would have to be released both in Dec. 2023 if you wanna finish the DLC in time. 

They gave up on that back in May, did you not read that Diary?  If it's still being advertised on Steam or elsewhere it should be removed.

https://www.thelongdark.com/news/dev-diary-may-2023/

44 minutes ago, rush247 said:

They gave up on that back in May, did you not read that Diary?  If it's still being advertised on Steam or elsewhere it should be removed.

https://www.thelongdark.com/news/dev-diary-may-2023/

Yes, on the Steam store page for TFTFT it still claims a 12 month campaign
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2091330/The_Long_Dark_Tales_from_the_Far_Territory/

The same reads on official TLD expansion page
https://www.thelongdark.com/expansion/

And FAQ page + it also still claims there's update roughly every 8-10 weeks (lol)
https://www.thelongdark.com/expansion/faq/

It's no wonder people are confused when it's just mentioned on a random blog post posted a long time ago

Edited by Mistral
  • Upvote 1

On 9/17/2023 at 7:36 AM, Ludwig_II said:

From my understanding, these "hardships" you refer to would only benefit a very small percentage of the overall TLD player-base.  It doesn't hurt to ask for such things, but with finite resources, I believe HL (and most companies) make decisions which will affect the largest percentage of their player-base, and therefore, affect sales.  Granted, HL has made some changes (implementing SV bunkers for lopers, if I recall) but I feel that was done more out of "we shouldn't limit paid-for content based upon difficulty".

• Upvote 1