Stupidest İdeas for the Long Dark you can think of

Michael1986

On 9/30/2021 at 9:45 AM, stratvox said:

Think that'll obviate the need to get your fishing skill up; just toss it in the icehole and wait for the fish to float up.

Eh that would really only work if you could scoop the fish off the surface with a net or something. There's ice in the way, so unless you were lucky enough to have a fish float straight up into the hole you're at, all you'd do is waste a bomb and decimate the fish population.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

My most hated feature a game could add (aside from predentary money schemes like lootboxes) is "player invasion" akin to Dark Souls 

Incase you don't know what I'm talking about it's when your in a single player world and other players have the option to invade your world and try and kill you, or mess you up in other ways. I remember playing Watch Dogs and it having that dumb system "Oh you need to go make lunch or something and pause the game? NOPE game is multiplayer now, deal with your invader!" at least Watch Dogs had the option to turn that crap off, other don't offer that luxury...

Sooo if I had to pick a feature that nobody brought up yet, that would be it I guess. 

A lead and harness! So you could attach it to your nearest friendly-ish wolf and take it home with you.

Although since you can't tame them, you'd definitely have your hands full

Maybe, if you got enough leads and harnesses, especially on stalker, you could get a sled and attach the wolves to it so they could pull you along like huskies! Now that's what I call a realistic survival experience 

Edited by Catlover
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Catlover said:

A lead and harness! So you could attach it to your nearest friendly-ish wolf and take it home with you.

Although since you can't tame them, you'd definitely have your hands full

Maybe, if you got enough leads and harnesses, especially on stalker, you could get a sled and attach the wolves to it so they could pull you along like huskies! Now that's what I call a realistic survival experience 

Love this 🤣 Guess you could dangle a dead deer on a fishing pole over their heads to spur them forward 😜

I'm wondering if a shaman's hut on Marsh Ridge would be viable. Could be, that if you deliver various mushrooms and herbs he gives you upgrades for a bicycle 🤦👍 Of course, you'd have to first locate and dredge the bicycle from Forlorn Muskeg, using the new metal detector tool he provides you with 🤔

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Matt Lomax said:

Love this 🤣 Guess you could dangle a dead deer on a fishing pole over their heads to spur them forward 😜

Haha thank you, and great idea! We'll have all of those pesky wolves trained in no time!

Imagine a pack of timberwolves just pulling you onwards, chasing the deer meat on a fishing pole. Now that's one way to fast travel around the map!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Catlover said:

Haha thank you, and great idea! We'll have all of those pesky wolves trained in no time!

Imagine a pack of timberwolves just pulling you onwards, chasing the deer meat on a fishing pole. Now that's one way to fast travel around the map!

Haha! 🤣 Sounds both exhilarating and absolutely terrifying in equal measure 😂👍 Mind you, as long as they're not chasing me for once I'm happy 😻

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/18/2021 at 4:15 PM, ajb1978 said:

Make it DLC. I'd pay 5 bucks to make sausage, sure. I mean long-term endgame scenarios, the more stuff we have tt do, the better. Who cares if it's unnecessary if it's fun?

Collect seawater and intentionally boil it dry to gather salt. Crafting recipe at the meat grinder, 1kg meat, 1 fresh gut, and a salt pile = 1kg cured sausage. Doesn't have to be hyper-realistic, I mean we can craft bullets without primers after all. Just require the player to jump through a few hoops that are at least marginally sensible.

On 9/18/2021 at 12:40 PM, Leeanda said:

😂😂😂 Please could I have  2 kilos of each? Actually could you make that 4kilos each?

On 9/18/2021 at 12:23 PM, manolitode said:

I wouldn't have guessed when I woke up this morning I'd be defending sausage machines. But I'll gladly take a stab at it. A sausage maker provides sausages. Sausages provides variety in the The Long Chunk of meat on a stone by the campfire-universe. They can also be dried to last nearly forever. But so can regular meat you say? Well, with some imagination a sausage machine could give us the option to mix the meat we harvest with other foods. As mentioned above, the dried bearplesyrup sausage, with enough calories to last you two days (and that includes a good long rope climb). Or perhaps you'd care for some birch wolfbark sausage? And for emergencies, the old man's rabbitweiner. 

I agree, we should place it stationary next to the milling machine. A decent handheld meatgrinder would do fine for Will's and Astrid's normal excursions. These selfproclaimed survivalists on the forum below have some other creative ideas on how to implement beautiful sausage making machines into the art of staying alive. 
Meat Grinders & Sausage Makers | Survivalist Forum (survivalistboards.com)

lol, I was just looking thru this old thread and had to chuckle...

Here's my take on repurposing the cannery into a sausge making facility!screen_173b54c5-fa04-4eba-804c-88a0ba38aca2_hi.thumb.png.eaa4a2f98202fdf5e0f92bd0835704f8.png

you just stuff all your meat into the end of the grinder pipe and stuff it into the gut at the other end presto

images.jpg.4fdbf6d3711b4be486ab64498b220f37.jpg

• Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, piddy3825 said:

Here's my take on repurposing the cannery into a sausge making facility!screen_173b54c5-fa04-4eba-804c-88a0ba38aca2_hi.thumb.png.eaa4a2f98202fdf5e0f92bd0835704f8.png

you just stuff all your meat into the end of the grinder pipe and stuff it into the gut at the other end presto

Simple to use,little maintenance if any!  Sold!😀 

I want my sausages!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, piddy3825 said:

Are those being sold in the camp office shop as well? If so, consider me a customer! I'm sure my survivor has a bit of cash spare for one or two of those delectable sausages 😂

15 minutes ago, Catlover said:

Are those being sold in the camp office shop as well? If so, consider me a customer! I'm sure my survivor has a bit of cash spare for one or two of those delectable sausages 😂

🎶  I learned to make sausage at the Peking Moon, I always used to stop there for lunch at noon.  
They told me their sausage was made with beef, chicken and little pork, but it was "meowing" on my fork,
yeah, it was purring on my fork...  🎶

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Willy Pete said:

Electric chainsaw that can be used in struggles against all animal attacks but it only works during the Aurora

That would still be a welcome addition regardless of how silly it might sound.  If I'm a pligrim player, I've just found a way to produce copies amounts of firewood in minutes as compared to hours of chopping.  Even as a stalker player I like the idea.  I cutting and stockpiling wood like there is no tomorrow and I honestly hope some furry marauder wants to come challenge me...      

*Doom music starts playing in background*    

Edited by piddy3825
spelling
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Matt Lomax said:

A bear costume that enables you to hang-out in caves with our cuddly friends. And a wolf costume, go down on all-fours and prance across the Muskeg unhindered.

lol, I already got that!  I installed the Northfolk clothing pack mod and am now almost exclusively wearing clothing made out of wolf skin.  I got a wolf skin coat and boots and cap!  When I crouch down I look like a big wolf from the distance!  Don't get me started on my Bearskin leggings!

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, piddy3825 said:

lol, I already got that!  I installed the Northfolk clothing pack mod and am now almost exclusively wearing clothing made out of wolf skin.  I got a wolf skin coat and boots and cap!  When I crouch down I look like a big wolf from the distance!  Don't get me started on my Bearskin leggings!

🤣 Didn't even know this was a thing 😄👍 Sounds very ... fashionable. Bet you have no issues getting into those crazy wolf-pack parties they hold on Timberwolf 😉

1 hour ago, Matt Lomax said:

🤣 Didn't even know this was a thing 😄👍 Sounds very ... fashionable. Bet you have no issues getting into those crazy wolf-pack parties they hold on Timberwolf 😉

oh you aint seen nothing yet... get the food pack with the alcohol mod, then we can really throw a party! 
those wolves cant hold their liquor, but you gotta watch out for that bear,
he gets a little amorous when he's been drinking...

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, piddy3825 said:

oh you aint seen nothing yet... get the food pack with the alcohol mod, then we can really throw a party! 
those wolves cant hold their liquor, but you gotta watch out for that bear,
he gets a little amorous when he's been drinking...

Haha! No mods for me on Switch but I'm kind of jealous now for the alcohol and frisky bear activities, sounds like my kind of shindig 😄

• Upvote 2

Given the title of the thread, take this as tongue-in-cheek, but here's my contribution: 

Into the Long Dark, a way to challenge permadeath

When your survivor 'fades into the Long Dark', he/she is literally transported to a Nether-Region called The Long Dark. In this region it is of course always night. You spawn with the clothes you were wearing when you died, but your inventory is otherwise empty. Another thing that spawns randomly in this region is a journal. That journal is your savegame. You have a limited amount of time to find it. You have to explore the region and survive as usual, though it'll be more challenging. If you manage to find the journal in time, your old savegame will be loaded again and you'll have a second chance to go on with your exploration. If you don't, well, that's True Permadeath for you, and the savegame is irremediably lost. 

Cheers! :coffee:

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Morrick said:

Given the title of the thread, take this as tongue-in-cheek, but here's my contribution: 

Into the Long Dark, a way to challenge permadeath

When your survivor 'fades into the Long Dark', he/she is literally transported to a Nether-Region called The Long Dark. In this region it is of course always night. You spawn with the clothes you were wearing when you died, but your inventory is otherwise empty. Another thing that spawns randomly in this region is a journal. That journal is your savegame. You have a limited amount of time to find it. You have to explore the region and survive as usual, though it'll be more challenging. If you manage to find the journal in time, your old savegame will be loaded again and you'll have a second chance to go on with your exploration. If you don't, well, that's True Permadeath for you, and the savegame is irremediably lost. 

Cheers! :coffee:

Interesting idea,
it got me to thinking that it should trigger a Darkwalker event.  This thing is coming after you to eat your soul before you can find your journal which reincarnates you back into the game.  If you do, your magically transport back to the last savepoint where your condition was at least 90% or better...

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1