Stupidest İdeas for the Long Dark you can think of

Michael1986

1 hour ago, Lord of the Long Dark said:

How absolutely ridiculous. So you are supposed to dig through feet snow past the permafrost to get soil for plants with no calories and how do you keep them watered for weeks and months while you are in other regions??

Absolutely ridiculous. Come on man. Come on. 
 besides  In the easy levels there is so much an abundance of canned and nutritious food there is no need for a useless garden and in interloper there is no way to stay put long enough to maintain it and even if you did it’s because you have adequate hunting anyway. 
  Growing food in the Canadian permafrost lol. Please. 

You forgot one simple detail

it's a video game. Even if it's semi-realistic not everything is true to the world

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, k0s0ff said:

Thanks. I'm stupid and I found out everything from Google. But it says that it can also mean anger.

No you're not stupid! And I had to look it up too And in this case I'm not sure that's the way he meant it! Best advice is to ignore it, I certainly will!

Edited by Leeanda

On 9/24/2021 at 12:29 PM, Leeanda said:

This game is for everyone not just "hard core interloper's" like you! And anything else  I say in reply would be a waste of time . your arrogance astounds even me! 

And for the record I am not a "Man"

Yes I realized you are a child when I realized you are the same person who suggested a taser be added as a weapon- where nothing electrical works.

Still -If you want a camping simulator then maybe you are playing the wrong game  play a game where you make s’mores and there is a staffed and stocked general store at your campsite. 

But trust me as an adult, you do not grow a garden in a permafrost survival situation. 

Edited by Lord of the Long Dark

3 hours ago, Lord of the Long Dark said:

Well I just realized you are the same person who suggested a taser be added as a weapon.

If you want a camping simulator then maybe you are playing the wrong game  play a game where you make s’mores and there is a staffed and stocked general store at your campsite. 

Grow a garden lol.  SMH. Just SMH.

I am only replying to this just to set the record straight! I did not suggest a garden and I have no idea who did! I only said you could grow veg in winter!    So maybe you should check your facts first! I have no wish to continue talking to you any further! 

Edited! I am a woman not a child !

Edited by Leeanda
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Leeanda said:

I am only replying to this just to set the record straight! I did not suggest a garden and I have no idea who did! I only said you could grow veg in winter!    So maybe you should check your facts first! I have no wish to continue talking to you any further! 

Edited! I am a woman not a child !

I did check your facts. They are wrong. You cannot grow stuff in conditions in this game period. 

On 9/24/2021 at 12:52 PM, Bimbobjoejr. said:

You forgot one simple detail

it's a video game. Even if it's semi-realistic not everything is true to the world

Then by that thinking why not have an alien laser gun? 
 The point is- even if you could grow plant in the game, and you can’t under the conditions represented, it would be pointless.  The beauty of this game is the relative lack of unnecessary duplication. 
  But no survivalist in arctic conditions grows food as a strategy. None. Ever. 
 So putting it in the game would only diminish the experience- like putting a laser gun or a taser. 
   What they will add is something practical like a slingshot to improve the rock throw mechanic. 

6 hours ago, Leeanda said:

I just googled "Arctic farming" and it was very interesting! Worth a read if anyone's interested!

I found this:

Farming in the Arctic: It Can Be Done - Modern Farmer

The community gardens stuff was very interesting in the context of Great Bear lore.

FWIW I doubt very much HL would tweak the current game with such a big change as farming, however it is very much the kind of thing that might be good in any TLD2 as a type of long term goal.

anyway, to try and get this post back to the OP topic- ridable pushbikes. 

1 hour ago, Valuable Hunting Knife said:

I found this:

Farming in the Arctic: It Can Be Done - Modern Farmer

The community gardens stuff was very interesting in the context of Great Bear lore.

FWIW I doubt very much HL would tweak the current game with such a big change as farming, however it is very much the kind of thing that might be good in any TLD2 as a type of long term goal.

anyway, to try and get this post back to the OP topic- ridable pushbikes. 

Dont you mean unridable?😀 And thanks for the link!

9 hours ago, Leeanda said:

This is a very large and interesting topic for research and discussion. I spent some time studying it myself.

Andrey Vladimirovich Zhuravsky (1882-1914), using the experience of Alaska and Canada in the period from 1906-1910, proved that growing in the circumpolar territories is not impossible. It's just that at that time no one there was seriously engaged in this. (if you are interested, here are the coordinates of the place where he was doing this 65.426098, 52.285058). Later, the barley grown there was transported to Alaska and was successfully grown there.

Sorry for the digressions from the topic. I just wanted to share it with you.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, k0s0ff said:

This is a very large and interesting topic for research and discussion. I spent some time studying it myself.

Andrey Vladimirovich Zhuravsky (1882-1914), using the experience of Alaska and Canada in the period from 1906-1910, proved that growing in the circumpolar territories is not impossible. It's just that at that time no one there was seriously engaged in this. (if you are interested, here are the coordinates of the place where he was doing this 65.426098, 52.285058). Later, the barley grown there was transported to Alaska and was successfully grown there.

Sorry for the digressions from the topic. I just wanted to share it with you.

Thanks for info! I'll check it out!

9 minutes ago, k0s0ff said:

To support the main theme. I want skates to skate on a mystical lake... from the bear.

Sounds good, maybe some solar lights decoration too!🙂 Very seasonal vibes!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

Sounds good, maybe some solar lights decoration too!🙂 Very seasonal vibes!

I want winter holidays. Let there be a fir tree that can be installed in the house and decorate it.

Here's what else I want to add. Downhill on winter slopes!))img1832_2_1569306114231648.jpg.d52a969b709d7ffba26461572e291926.jpg

2 hours ago, k0s0ff said:

I want winter holidays. Let there be a fir tree that can be installed in the house and decorate it.

Here's what else I want to add. Downhill on winter slopes!))img1832_2_1569306114231648.jpg.d52a969b709d7ffba26461572e291926.jpg

Me too! Lots of fun😃  Have thought before about a holiday event! Doubt its gonna happen though! Scour the island for decorations maybe?☺

• Like 1

Cabin fever is a pretty stupid idea. I agree there needs to be a mechanic for advanced levels to not be allowed to camp indoors but “Gee I am going crazy after 3 days in this warm cabin with all my supplies so I am going to live in a cave with wild animals and weather  until I feel better”.

Anything would be a better mechanic. Or just do away with cabin fever altogether. By the time you play even just stalker level cabin fever is never an issue anyway. On interloper it’s not even remotely a factor- there is no way you can camp in a spot for 3 days in early game anyway and by the time you could do so, you can just as easily stay in a cave anyway.  Hell my main bases are usually caves just to avoid cabin Fever and they might as well be indoor locations because with double bear coat  weather is not a factor in a cave. 

Edited by Lord of the Long Dark

7 hours ago, Lord of the Long Dark said:

Cabin fever is a pretty stupid idea. I agree there needs to be a mechanic for advanced levels to not be allowed to camp indoors but “Gee I am going crazy after 3 days in this warm cabin with all my supplies so I am going to live in a cave with wild animals and weather  until I feel better”.

Use the setup mode. Turn it off and don't sweat in such a cold cave.

• Upvote 1