Ash Canyon Teaser Image

Sherri

Yeah, the low rocks in the foreground look more like the HRV palette for rocks to me, more purple than blue. Looks like we'll be travelling through the Hushed River Valley terrane, which is super cool because HRV is beautiful.

In case people are wondering what I mean by terranes, British Columbia's coast geology is made up with a group of what are called "exotic terranes" that have sort of gotten plastered against the western edge of the North American continent as it has drifted westward pushed by the Mid-Atlantic Ridge rift. In practical terms, this results in very different kinds of rock with very different geological histories, different compositions, etc etc being all stuck up next to each other. Because the erotic terranes fold as North America plows into them, you get all kinds of nifty stuff, like in the picture below where you can see folding has brought up a dike of the Hushed River Valley terrane into a promontory largely composed of the Mystery Lake terrane:

screen_431fa980-cbc0-470a-aa2a-293f1c14944d_hi.thumb.png.36b5c744363d1023143225f564b086d8.png

Edited by stratvox
  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, stratvox said:

Yeah, the low rocks in the foreground look more like the HRV palette for rocks to me, more purple than blue. Looks like we'll be travelling through the Hushed River Valley terrane, which is super cool because HRV is beautiful.

In case people are wondering what I mean by terranes, British Columbia's coast geology is made up with a group of ...

Yes, I'm insane enough that I've actually given some thought to the geology of Great Bear Island.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

That's impressive. I'm so delighted to see every new map is even better than the previous. Hushed River Valley was amazingly complex and Bleak Inlet smartly took advantage of the aurora mechanic in such and amazing manner. I'm looking forward to see what awaits in Ash Canyon. I wish we got more complex aurora mechanics added or something along those lines. Hinterland is really doing an amazing job in map design.

Edited by Danielviomusic
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Valuable Hunting Knife said:

What has killed the trees- maybe some kind of industrial pollution?  Could this region end up having some link to the forest talker sub plot in ep 4/5?

Some sort of Tonguska event? Or maybe just a flash fire the previous summer....

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

So I have noticed a few things.

Do you see this "ferry" (idk the name of it) something where you can move from places to places?

image-22.png.f3f69fb002037a62ae9371fb33d

Look at it. It's connected to some long lines. Ok, go check the MAIN picture (the one Raphael posted) and watch top right corner between the mountains, you can see two dark lines. This most likely indicates that you can use this ferry to move between those HUGE mountains! Imagine that... I wonder how it will work and how breathtaking this could be.

And finally,

581234854_image(43)(1).png.d884ef5e6b4cd

Compare the Raphael's picture versus this one. Watch the mountains. They are HUGE in both pictures. Therefore, this prison (fences, towers, surely it's a prison, maybe the Blackrock ones where the bus we find at Mountain Town?) is likely located in Ash Canyon. 

If not, then it's on the very next region, Preservance Mills something.

Can't wait regardless. :)

• Upvote 1

On 11/20/2020 at 6:43 AM, stratvox said:

Because the erotic terranes fold as North America plows into them, you get all kinds of nifty stuff, like in the picture below where you can see folding has brought up a dike of the Hushed River Valley terrane into a promontory largely composed of the Mystery Lake terrane:

what

Edited by EjectedCasings

Thank you for posting the screenshot here. I don't have Twitter and would have missed it. Looks great and i identificate myself with this grim look. Always love to see that.

Regarding the "ferry": In Alaska there is a thing like that to deliver wares over a river. I have seen it in a documentary about Christopher McCandless and his life and death in Alaska. A few years ago i made a long-site post and "suggested" that a visual reference to him could be implemented in the game. And well, maaaaybe this is part of it? Would love to see.

Edited by Karl Grylls
  • Like 1

Guesses on release day? Bleak Inlet was released on Dec 10, so are we expecting similar date? Someone suggested Steam winter sale being a good guess, but I think by that state Hinderland is already on Christmas vacation, and inevitable bug fixing couldn't occur? (There were numerous Errant Pilgrim hotfixes in the immediate days after launch before Christmas)