What ending would you like to have?

Leeanda

I would like to see all the characters  reunited and left on Great Bear building up a new town from scratch. Just living peacefully away from the rest of the world. 

Just wondered if anyone else had thought about it and what ending you'd like?

• Upvote 1

Will and Astrid reunite and manage to fire up an old helicopter found at perseverance mills during an aurora.  As they head away over a panoramic view of Great Bear, a surface to air missile flies out of the woods and strikes the tail.  The chopper spins out of control, as Will shouts 'not again! I'm too old for this sh...'.

Will later crawls out of the wrecked cockpit, and sees bloody footprints leading to an old deserted mansion, with a solitary light flickering at an attic window.  He reaches the ornate oak door, but finds it locked.  He hears a rustling in the hedgerow behind, turns, and sees...

THE ZOMBIE CORPSE OF HOBBS

Cut to music and fade out to 'The Long Dark Will Return with episode 666- Halloween 2022'

cue credits 

🎃

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Valuable Hunting Knife said:

I've heard that eps 4  & 5 are already in the can, only issue is they've hired Kevin Shields for the ep 5 soundtrack

(going for a very niche TLD/MBV crossover audience with this post).

To be clear Episodes Four and Five are not "in the can". We're working on finishing up Episode Four now, though we're prioritizing quality. We appreciate the patience that The Long Dark community has shown thus far.

• Upvote 4
  • Like 2

I really hope it doesn't end like Stranded Deep where it's basically you just starting over with no further information as to what happened to you, or why, leading to an endless cycle of survival and struggle. Given, The Long Dark story mode does have a lot more going for it narrative-ly speaking and Stranded Deep isn't a story-driven game. I just ask that the same lazy cop-out doesn't happen here, which I'm sure it won't. I care about this game too much to be happy with something like "You wake up in a burning wreckage again" simply because they get to re-use the same opening scene to save time and money...

16 hours ago, Admin said:

To be clear Episodes Four and Five are not "in the can". We're working on finishing up Episode Four now, though we're prioritizing quality. We appreciate the patience that The Long Dark community has shown thus far.

Apologies, it clearly wasn't as obvious as I thought it was that my post was made tongue in cheek. No intention to deliberately mislead anyone. 

Anyway, as my other contribution to this thread was also less than serious (and the OP did ask a good question deserving of a serious response), my actual ideal ending would involve Will & Astrid either escaping Great Bear or experiencing a new environment (a new season?), with some sort of comment in the final speech about how they will be able to achieve more working together from now on- hopefully setting us up for an eventual multiplayer TLD2  in an expanded world...

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Valuable Hunting Knife said:

Apologies, it clearly wasn't as obvious as I thought it was that my post was made tongue in cheek. No intention to deliberately mislead anyone. 

Anyway, as my other contribution to this thread was also less than serious (and the OP did ask a good question deserving of a serious response), my actual ideal ending would involve Will & Astrid either escaping Great Bear or experiencing a new environment (a new season?), with some sort of comment in the final speech about how they will be able to achieve more working together from now on- hopefully setting us up for an eventual multiplayer TLD2  in an expanded world...

Multiplayer is never going to happen! But there's nothing like wishful thinking with a little bit of hope sprinkled on the top is there😁!! 

2 hours ago, Leeanda said:

Multiplayer is never going to happen! But there's nothing like wishful thinking with a little bit of hope sprinkled on the top is there😁!! 

Systems Design Lead (Co-Op, Online, New IP) — Hinterland (hinterlandgames.com)

not for TLD1, agreed (the technical issues are well documented), but if the new IP is successful with implementing multiplayer, perhaps TLD2/ TLD1 redux could be a possibility...

disclaimer: wild speculation on my part :)

You should check out LMG on ytube. He has something you might like!

31 minutes ago, Valuable Hunting Knife said:

Systems Design Lead (Co-Op, Online, New IP) — Hinterland (hinterlandgames.com)

not for TLD1, agreed (the technical issues are well documented), but if the new IP is successful with implementing multiplayer, perhaps TLD2/ TLD1 redux could be a possibility...

disclaimer: wild speculation on my part :)

• 2 weeks later...

On 8/4/2021 at 7:11 PM, Valuable Hunting Knife said:

Will and Astrid reunite and manage to fire up an old helicopter found at perseverance mills during an aurora.  As they head away over a panoramic view of Great Bear, a surface to air missile flies out of the woods and strikes the tail.  The chopper spins out of control, as Will shouts 'not again! I'm too old for this sh...'.

Will later crawls out of the wrecked cockpit, and sees bloody footprints leading to an old deserted mansion, with a solitary light flickering at an attic window.  He reaches the ornate oak door, but finds it locked.  He hears a rustling in the hedgerow behind, turns, and sees...

THE ZOMBIE CORPSE OF HOBBS

Cut to music and fade out to 'The Long Dark Will Return with episode 666- Halloween 2022'

cue credits 

🎃

Resident Evil

The Dark Nights

• Upvote 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/4/2021 at 5:13 PM, Valuable Hunting Knife said:

I've heard that eps 4  & 5 are already in the can, only issue is they've hired Kevin Shields for the ep 5 soundtrack

(going for a very niche TLD/MBV crossover audience with this post).

Yup, I'm that target audience.  Been a MBV fan forever.  Actually saw them tour for Loveless.  Also, noticed your user name is a GBV song.  Cheers!

Good news about the upcoming episodes!  Can't wait to see where the journey takes our protagonists.

4 hours ago, Ziz said:

Yup, I'm that target audience.  Been a MBV fan forever.  Actually saw them tour for Loveless.  Also, noticed your user name is a GBV song.  Cheers!

Good news about the upcoming episodes!  Can't wait to see where the journey takes our protagonists.

Cheers indeed! I knew there'd be someone else, ha! know of any other _bv bands by the way?! I'm always on the lookout for more...!

Very jealous of you having seen the loveless tour (was it the roller-coaster one with the Mary Chain and Dino Jr. and a flute player doing the keyboard parts?).  I was lucky enough to catch them a few times on the reunion tour- still tinnitus inducing.

Final music trivia for 10pts, have you worked out my profile pic?

Back to TLD, and in all seriousness I'm really excited by how much new music will be in ep 4 as well, the soundtrack always seems to enhance and compliment eh subtle upgrades or additions to the game.  Really should look up the composer/s and see what else they done.

I want to know who Methuselah really is. Is he real person or some ımagination in Will’s mind? And ı want Astrid and Will getting back together and living in Jackrabbit Island with their child (ı know it’s ridicilous but maybe their child is alive and is in PM with some other survivors?)

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Pınar51-06 said:

who Methuselah really is. Is he real person or some ımagination in Will’s mind?

Pretty sure he is real, because otherwise, that tea Will has been getting from him would also be imaginary, but it gives a heat buff. Also that fire also heats up food that methuselah is keeping up.

2 hours ago, Pınar51-06 said:

with their child 

You mean Hobbs' child?

1 hour ago, Stinky socks said:

Pretty sure he is real, because otherwise, that tea Will has been getting from him would also be imaginary, but it gives a heat buff. Also that fire also heats up food that methuselah is keeping up.

You mean Hobbs' child?

No 😐 in episode one before the plane crash there was a scene Astrid and Will talk about someone and Will says he misses him a lot. Once ı guess they lost their child but now i think he lives in Perseverance Mills (ın episode 3 Astrid talks with a mystery woman ı guess she look after their child) ı know my idea was a little absurd but ı want to be that way🙂

I read somewhere (probably here) that Astrid and Hobbs are having a child but no thanks🙃

On 9/14/2021 at 4:50 AM, Pınar51-06 said:

I want to know who Methuselah really is. Is he real person or some ımagination in Will’s mind? 

I'm pretty sure there's some sort of significance to the Omega symbol on his shirt. Like alpha and omega, beginning and end. And Methuselah is here to witness "the passing of an age". Back when Milton Mailbags were a thing I asked if there was anything Raph could reveal about the symbol and he straight up said he couldn't reveal anything. Maybe I'm reading too much into that, but to me I took that as "yes there is something but I can't spoil it."

• Upvote 1
  • Like 2