Survival Mode Objectives

Skuopbahdwoop

So I’ve played The Long Dark survival mode for a while, and I just had a question for players who have more time clocked into the game.

what exactly is the main objective for survival beyond just surviving? I’ve been enjoying my playthrough so far, but even now I’m beginning to get a bit bored. Once you’ve gathered enough food and water to be somewhat comfortable, and you’ve explored everywhere, what really else is there to do? You could do challenges but when playing solo, the game feels really exhausting and boring if you play it for too long. I suppose a lot of this is due to the fact that I’m not a big gamer, and I may not be the type of player who is best suited for the atmosphere that TLD has. 

still, I’d love to hear what people find entertaining about survival! Or any tips for how to make it more fun when going into the later game. 

Survival mode was an adaptation of the survival sandbox that Hinterland used to develop the survival mechanics use in Story mode.  The sandbox proved to be extremely popular for survival play, so popular that the devs decided that they should not throw away that popularity and modified the sandbox and made it an alternate mode of the game. 

Therefore,  you are right.  There is no extrinsic objective to Survival mode other than survive as long as you can.  Any other goals or objectives would be intrinsic to the player - things that the player set for himself. 

I have four long-running sandboxes that 1) I have too much invested in them to just abandon and 2) I have an objective that whatever else happens I will get them to wherever the end point/region/location there is for Story mode.  As a part of this, I rotate my sandboxes usually with specific objectives like I am going to Ash Canyon my way, and I also have this thing about making a Grand Tour of my bases in the various regions every 200-300 days to make sure things are "okay".  I deliberately have not gone to Mountain Town or Hushed River Valley to maintain an illusion of some place I have not been for "there be dragons".  

Make up your own story.  You can always chuck the sandbox and start again.  Some people like the initial survival challenge and get bored when things settle down.

People are different. Some people can grind out hundreds of days even with tenuous objectives while others get bored. I'm maybe somewhere in the middle leaning towards boredom developing. But I can do some things that aren't strictly necessary.

I like to collect all saplings. You don't necessarily need them all. Or not right away. But it's an excuse to explore the maps and visit some locations that otherwise having nothing.

I have played story mode and I do like it for the quests but I'm more of a survival mode player as I can create my own story and as a writer, it has given me inspiration to write a survival story based off my experiences in the game. I will admit though for as long as I have played this game, it does get a little boring after I've done everything but then I'll start a new game but up the challenge a bit so I can get more excitement.

I mostly play on Pilgrim to get cool screenshots or to just take it easy without worrying about predators or harsh weather but I have played on all the other skill levels as well. I will sometimes set my own challenges for myself in the game to keep me entertained as well :) 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Skuopbahdwoop said:

still, I’d love to hear what people find entertaining about survival! Or any tips for how to make it more fun when going into the later game. 

I think the Survival Mode... still is what it originally was; a survival sandbox.  I think it's best left like that.  I've been playing this game consistently for about 6 years now (I only mention that for context).

I really like the fact that once we are proficient in our survival tasks; it's really up to us to decided how we live in the world Hinterland has provided us... for how long.

Also, given that the Survival Mode is a sandbox...  I think the only "story" we experience in survival ought to be the one we create through our own gameplay and the choices we make along the way.  I frankly really would not want to see any forced narrative elements to bleed over from into my survival sandbox experience.

I think the whole purpose of a sandbox is to give the player the ability to just "live" in the game-world in whatever way they choose (with only our character's needs do drive us, and the game's mechanics to be our tool kit for doing that).

So far in all my time playing in the survival sandbox, I've never found myself at all bored.
For me the answer is simply applying a little Player Choice:

• I make my own personal challenges.
  • I set my own extra "rules and provisos," to either make life more difficult for my survivor... or just to see how far I can develop my playstyle... or in some cases to see if I can get good enough to achieve a long list of my own objectives and goals.
  • I also tend to keep things interesting later on in my run by not going out and looting everything right away... instead I only hunt, or seek out resources when I actually have specific need of them.

(side note) It even took me several years to eventually earn the Fire Master feat.  This was because I never wanted to grind for it...  In stead I just wanted to earn it though regular play... so I would only make a fire when I actually needed it (which took a very long time for me to eventually get to 1000 fires lit :D).

This all has done very well at making the game better for me personally, without me ever having to ask Hinterland to change the game for everyone else.
(That's why I'm a big proponent of Player Choice)

2 hours ago, Skuopbahdwoop said:

I may not be the type of player who is best suited for the atmosphere that TLD has. 

Maybe, maybe not... it really depends on each player.

Not every game is going to be a perfect fit for every player.
However, this game also has so many, many options for folks to play with:

• The game has four standard difficulties (for Survival Mode)
  • The ability to tune and alter characteristics of the game through the Custom Settings options (also for Survival Mode).
  • There is a Story Mode for folks who like more narrative driven experiences (and that also has 3 discrete levels of difficulty to play on)
  • There are also dedicated Challenges that give players very specific goals and tasks to perform (sometimes with time constraints and sometimes without any time limits at all).

I think that for the most part it could be argued that there are enough gameplay options here to suit most player types... I suppose it's up to the player to decide which aspects of the game they connect with.  However, I think it's also safe to say that even with all those options this kind of game isn't necessarily going to be everyone's "cup of tea."  :) 

:coffee::fire::coffee:
For me, simply surviving on Great Bear Island on my own terms has always been a lot of fun... I think survival should be the only "objective" in Survival Mode, because I think the rest should be up to the player.  :)

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

Possibly the funnest way to play Survival Mode is to publicly announce some objective, then stream your gameplay on Twitch or record YouTube videos -- this is an extremely fun game to watch people play, too.

In general (there are exceptions), my goal in Survival Mode is to explore a region as thoroughly as possible within about 14 in-game days, though occasionally, I do combine multiple regions; an example of that was where I also played in Desolation Point during my Coastal Highway survival experience.

On 12/27/2020 at 7:21 PM, ManicManiac said:

So far in all my time playing in the survival sandbox, I've never found myself at all bored.
For me the answer is simply applying a little Player Choice:

That’s really interesting, actually. I’ve thought of TLD as really driven by player choice, but it’s cool to really see how ppl have taken the bare bones survival sandbox and customized it for challenges and such. 

i think at the end of the day the main qualms I have with survival mode is something I wouldn’t want the developers try and fix. TLD is beautiful, but very isolating- the atmosphere really gives you this sense that you’re the only person left alive. And I’ve seen people do really amazing things in the game, and have had a lot of fun with survival myself. I guess I’m more into games that have a more social aspect at times- I love doing little side quests or interacting with NPCs in other games, then? (though i will say I’m not a big gamer, so TLD is one of maybe three or four games in my rotation.) So maybe basic survival isn’t my cup of tea, so to speak. 

On 12/28/2020 at 5:12 PM, Glflegolas said:

Possibly the funnest way to play Survival Mode is to publicly announce some objective, then stream your gameplay on Twitch or record YouTube videos -- this is an extremely fun game to watch people play, too.

That’s what I’ve been thinking as well. Ive kind of just been playing the game the same way every time- running around Mystery Lake, finding weapons, exploring, avoiding wolves and conserving legit every resource I can find. But doing challenges with some pals might be fun, so I’ll keep that in mind! 

thanks y’all! 

I play on Interloper and I enjoy collecting all the books I can find on the island to create my own library of sorts. It is quite satisfying.  

This usually ends up like carpeting, as the books always orient themselves flat instead of vertically, even if the book is vertical when you find it. 

While I am not a proponent of expanding base-building in this world, if I had one wish in this regard it would be for the option of situating closed books upright on shelves.

Books FTW! 

See this thread:

Also, one that I created lately that isn't on that list is Bleak Existence, which is a variant of the "one region" challenge.  In this one you have 24 hours to collect things before going into Bleak Inlet to survive for as long as possible (with loper settings, but low recovery).  But you could do that sort of "time deadline" setup in a variety of start or target regions or timelines.  Gives a nice choice between more gear or push your luck with time deadline/condition.

This game has been the source of a lot of great creativity from the fan base in terms of spicing things up.  All the best everyone.

Murph

On 12/27/2020 at 10:27 PM, Skuopbahdwoop said:

. . . what exactly is the main objective for survival beyond just surviving?

I find that the attraction, the compulsion, in playing TLD is that there is an endless stream of mental challenges.  I could be a couch potato and spend my life watching people playing with a ball on TV, but that is pathetically mentally inactive.

At almost any point in playing TLD there are challenges which require you to analyse the problems and plan ahead.  However, even with the best of planning unforseen things happen.  It requires the same skills as running a business or playing chess.  Of course if you wish to play at an easy level, edit your save file or sit tight in a location with lots of food and wood nearby then it is simple, boring game. 

Some people like challenges, some people like an easy inactive life.

Kind of tagging off what's been said, Survival mode has no set objectives other than to survive as long as you can. It's like those 80's arcade games where the only objective was to beat your high score. Substitute high score with days survived, and that's what you have here too.

The challenge modes do provide a clear objective to achieve, with some being easier than others. Nomad for instance, I think even a novice player could figure that one out, because there's no time limit. In fact you can literally use it as a substitute for Voyageur since all the variables are tuned the same. You can simply choose not to complete all the objectives until you're ready to retire that guy.

Which brings me into sort of wish list territory, and I know I've gone here before, but I do wish we had optional objectives in Survival mode that could end the run on a high note. Every Survival mode game ends, whether you hurl yourself off Timberwolf Mountain, botch up and get killed by wildlife, or simply delete the save. And while we can certainly just delete the save and tell ourselves that our survivor made it off the island, I'd like to actually be able to SEE that happen. Like patching up an old rowboat, you shove off, the game fades to black and congratulations you escaped the island. Just something to make it more real. Not holding my breath though.

On 12/30/2020 at 7:16 PM, ajb1978 said:

Every Survival mode game ends, whether you hurl yourself off Timberwolf Mountain, botch up and get killed by wildlife, or simply delete the save. And while we can certainly just delete the save and tell ourselves that our survivor made it off the island, I'd like to actually be able to SEE that happen. Like patching up an old rowboat, you shove off, the game fades to black and congratulations you escaped the island. Just something to make it more real. Not holding my breath though.

I agree...I really like the mental challenge survival mode poses, but it could be interesting to have optional objectives. Honestly, I'd be down for more challenges if anything- that's pretty close to an objective, and it would be cool to see more of them! But I just love playing TLD in general. 

I am hoping the game gets more wildlife, traps, weapons and features.
 What is the thought about not being able to dispose of corpses inside cabins (or in general) ?  Developers could easily just give the players an option in a pop-up box and show some sort of gravesite with a stick cross outside somewhere. I think we all know what would happen if we started to heat a cabin with a cold preserved body inside and it would not be pretty. 

I would also like to see changes to Survival mode which would be more believeable. Several years of winter is just not a thing on this planet unless the game lore is supposed to be happening during an ice age? 
To change this I would like to see a version of “Survival” with an endgame system implemented to make it possible to first survive the winter and then trying to get out of the region and get back to civilization and stabile warmer climate. An Idea would be that the player needs to complete tasks to get a hold of essential parts needed to assemble a vehicle and clearing the road of rocks and obstacles. This is personal thoughts on the matter anyway, but I am pretty sure I am not the only one who would think this or something like this would be a welcomed addition to the game. 

Edited by Torqen

On 12/30/2020 at 6:16 PM, ajb1978 said:

Kind of tagging off what's been said, Survival mode has no set objectives other than to survive as long as you can. It's like those 80's arcade games where the only objective was to beat your high score. Substitute high score with days survived, and that's what you have here too.

The challenge modes do provide a clear objective to achieve, with some being easier than others. Nomad for instance, I think even a novice player could figure that one out, because there's no time limit. In fact you can literally use it as a substitute for Voyageur since all the variables are tuned the same. You can simply choose not to complete all the objectives until you're ready to retire that guy.

Which brings me into sort of wish list territory, and I know I've gone here before, but I do wish we had optional objectives in Survival mode that could end the run on a high note. Every Survival mode game ends, whether you hurl yourself off Timberwolf Mountain, botch up and get killed by wildlife, or simply delete the save. And while we can certainly just delete the save and tell ourselves that our survivor made it off the island, I'd like to actually be able to SEE that happen. Like patching up an old rowboat, you shove off, the game fades to black and congratulations you escaped the island. Just something to make it more real. Not holding my breath though.

Based on the arcade game model where the levels get ever harder or the game speeds up indefinitely until it becomes impossible for the player to continue.  It should be possible then for the various difficulty elements in the custom menu at least to be increased manually as they go along within each run if the player feels themselves getting too secure and bored.

For me...I'm a hoarder.  I want to find all of the items in the entire game and take them back to one place, fix them to 100%, and have them on display.  Very much part of my OCD. The pic below is just a partial collection...you should see the pistols and rifles.

screen_cf80f87e-8b1d-425a-a4c3-ec8e91bd83c7.png

One game I decided to collect as much ammo as I could.  Wound up with over 300 rounds for the revolver and over 150 for the rifle.  Yes I made a couple trips to BI to reload to make my cache of ammo.  

another game I decided to craft as many arrows as possible.  Still working on that one.  The limiting factor is feathers.  

5 hours ago, Bean said:

One game I decided to collect as much ammo as I could.  Wound up with over 300 rounds for the revolver and over 150 for the rifle.  Yes I made a couple trips to BI to reload to make my cache of ammo.  

another game I decided to craft as many arrows as possible.  Still working on that one.  The limiting factor is feathers.  

Kill an animal and don't take all the meat. Leave a bit left.  The animal will not disappear and every few days??? you get new feathers.  I left the deer near the railroad in Mystery Lake alone and pick up feathers every time I pass through. Over 300 now.

• Upvote 1

My goal is to fill up the garage with all the man made items I can find. In addition, a floor full of saplings is also on my list. 

You never know when a customer is coming, and then it is important to have a selection of destroyed food items to offer them.

Im still working how I am going to arrange them. 

Getting all the skill up to 5, map a lot (if not all) the maps, getting to know Ash Canyon properly, beat my old record of +1200 days, 

Getting all the metal from the dam and the game in general.

screen_4e3fcc2f-c8c6-4268-aadc-4892d4bc986e_hi.png

screen_1fd0a432-a23c-4a8c-9ce1-d5f6daeb68d1_hi.png

screen_ff6b2f55-d622-47b3-a95b-c86a23a72659_hi.png

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Master_Arne said:

My goal is to fill up the garage with all the man made items I can find. In addition, a floor full of saplings is also on my list. 

You never know when a customer is coming, and then it is important to have a selection of destroyed food items to offer them.

Im still working how I am going to arrange them. 

Getting all the skill up to 5, map a lot (if not all) the maps, getting to know Ash Canyon properly, beat my old record of +1200 days, 

Getting all the metal from the dam and the game in general.

screen_4e3fcc2f-c8c6-4268-aadc-4892d4bc986e_hi.png

screen_1fd0a432-a23c-4a8c-9ce1-d5f6daeb68d1_hi.png

screen_ff6b2f55-d622-47b3-a95b-c86a23a72659_hi.png

Ooohhhhh.  My OCD appreciation is going off the scale! Very Nice.

• Like 1