Bury the Dead

Thebigfootman

I would love a way to bury the many lost souls we find out there. Maybe it would take six hours and a shovel. Maybe you would be rewarded with some sense of inner peace. I mean, not only is it really weird to share a room with a dead guy for several weeks, but I feel like it adds some humanity to this bleak situation. Also f#!k those crows! Its such a pretty sounding game but its like constant crows sometimes!

Love the game!

• Upvote 5
  • Like 1

Listen to this two tracks and tell me if you want them to be in game or not and hear is links

1, I'm Marta from life of other movie 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DH17K_3CFq-ybGpI-U1jAy1lhQ9flIa3/view?usp=drivesdk

2, piano track from the amazing life of pulan movie. 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DMEnB5OHl6eBYjFPHxaauQyG1xvEcwrP/view?usp=drivesdk

On 12/11/2020 at 12:16 PM, Adamo said:

Digging the frozen ground would be pretty difficult I think but making a snow mound would show the respect I suppose , seeing as spring never comes that’s a permanent burial.

I would definitely agree. Snow mound would work. Or...maybe another use for all the rocks we find. Maybe a burial mound to keep the wolves from digging it up.

There's a reason why our pioneers up here did not bury their dead during winter, but instead used ice rinks and such as mortuaries to store them until spring.  Believe me, 6 hours with a shovel wouldn't cut it.  However, as suggested, building a "burial cache" or a snow mound over the corpse would be feasible.  If we could drag corpses around a bit, we could also remove them from buildings or move them into buildings we're not sleeping in our using ourselves.  Of course, if we cover the corpse or move it into a building, no crow feathers would respawn around it after that... so there is a distinctive downside for heavy bow users... which I'm OK with.

IMO the easiest implementation of a feature like this would be some kind of burial mound system. Keep it as a crow activity spot and have a storage element, but hide the body. It'd essentially be another world collectable, though this one would probably come with the catch of needing enough rocks, maybe some reclaimed wood for a marker, and calories/time investment.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Lone Trekker said:

Perhaps it would have a trade off. Lack of feathers to gain other benefits.

Inner peace: gradually restore condition, restful sleep, and/or cabin fever reduction.

I don't really see it as an issue.  There are essentially no indoor corpses that have feathers dropping around them and I really don't see too many players bothering to bury every outdoor corpse they find lying in the snow and thereby creating a "lack of feathers" in the game world.  At any rate, players can just leave the prop deer carcasses completely alone (that is, not open them to investigate the amount of meat they have on them) and they will stay in the game world indefinitely and feathers will respawn around them.

I do think buried corpses should not continue to be accessible as "containers" and feathers should not drop around them.  It makes no logical sense for carrion crows to gather over a body they can't access nor does it make sense to be able to continue to access and effectively reloot a buried corpse.

Edited by UpUpAway95
  • Upvote 2

On 4/27/2019 at 6:38 AM, ManicManiac said:

I can see why people would want to do this as well... personally however, I tend to think them as extra storage containers.

I know that may seem a bit macabre, but since we can't move other small containers to where we might like to have the extra "storage" (I mean beyond just dropping things on the ground indoors or outside)... they do come in handy as containers.  :)  

:coffee::fire:

• Upvote 1

Posts removed. 

Yes Reddit exists you are allowed to go there. The sub-forum there however does not typically allow for this sort of insulting of other members. 

Regardless if you feel the need to insult people there’s a large internet out there for you. If you want to talk about The Long Dark and can keep on topic then this forum exists. 

Please return to the subject at hand. Any further posts not addressing the OP will be removed.

As a note it could be useful to read our Rules and Guidelines.

Further the general idea is that while it's fine to debate an issue with someone, please don't insult them or say that their contribution is worthless. If you don't find their contribution valuable feel free to ignore it, and not address it.

Note: as a follow-on user Rowan asked to have their account deleted, this was not an Admin decision, it was their own.

• Like 1

For me removing corpses from buildings, I want to use, would be good. With the occasinal heating they no longer stay frozen and start to smell too.
An burial of outside corpses with a snow heap would be nice too, even without any benefit.

If covering the bodies has too much impact on feather generation, how about placing a dead (complete) rabbit to attract crows. They could "eat up" the body, rendering it useless for harvesting while dropping feathers.

It was my first thought when i first saw a corpse (it was indoors). Bury them. A little bit of humanity still breathe inside the character (or should =D), so going there and bury the dead, even unidentified, could be nice. Personally i like that aspect of roleplaying.

No need to dig a hole on the ground or snow or ice. I think a stone mound could fit very well, with some simple stick or rock as tombstone, and i imagine that it's not so hard to implement (i guess ^^)

I think the "less crow feathers" issue is not a problem at all. Just adjust the number of feathers per deer carcass for balancing.

Awesome game anyways. I just can't stop playing, i'm glued on it for 1 week nonstop hahahahah

I like the idea of removing corpses from building and being able to drag them.  Burying would seem extremely difficult given the current situation (the ground is frozen and I’m in survival mode).  I would take a different tack on this.  I’d introduce a decompression system where bodies become skeletons eventually.  On that, bones could be harvested to make tools, but I digress.  The crows and wolf would scavenge and it would be a realistic outcome of events.  Clothing on the bodies would become extremely damaged as time passed since the wolves would destroy them looking for a meal.  People looking for crow feathers could feed them. Leave quarters outside and let the crows come.

I also would like this feature.

My current char lives in the park cabins at mystery lake and shares the room with a "cool" guy. I call him Fred. Fred don't speak a lot. Fred is dead.

Honestly I don't care about the dead ppl. laying in the middle of nowhere. I wouldn't if im in a IRL situation like this. But I won't share a room with the corpse of someone.

Edited by AnotherColdDay

And here I was, on the opposite end of the spectrum. Why can't I "harvest" the bodies especially in dire situations like Interloper? Likely with a debuff after eating, like a high rate of parasites or an increased likelihood of Cabin Fever? Probably as a survival mode only mechanic as there's no in universe reason for Will or Astrid to do such.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nyk said:

And here I was, on the opposite end of the spectrum. Why can't I "harvest" the bodies especially in dire situations like Interloper? Likely with a debuff after eating, like a high rate of parasites or an increased likelihood of Cabin Fever? Probably as a survival mode only mechanic as there's no in universe reason for Will or Astrid to do such.

Did you looked a little closer to the guys on the ground? They look for me already pretty rotten. I assume you can't eat them anymore, even if you are extrem starving.

7 hours ago, AnotherColdDay said:

Did you looked a little closer to the guys on the ground? They look for me already pretty rotten. I assume you can't eat them anymore, even if you are extrem starving.

I wouldn't say they look any less clean than the deer and occasional wolf carcasses we can find ripped open.

I've been wanting to lay the dead to rest somehow for a long time.  Especially removing the corpses from buildings I would wish to use as a base.
Here's my solution to part of the problem...

So far I can only get it work occasionally and it does take a fair amount of effort and a huge supply of firewood to pull it off.  But this guy has been my best effort yet.  

check out my before and after!

Before:
Here's how you find this always corpse down by the cabins on CH.  The backpack is almost always there as well, if I recall.  Got a feather off to the side,
handy for later.

screen_a5d14406-08a6-445b-a093-20443842afac_hi.thumb.png.d67dcda8eb5d3c3a12ddf842fa96fc59.png

After:

This is where it takes a ton of time, effort and good old luck.   I outline the body by placing firewood around the torso as close together as I can creating a box.  Then I stand on the corpse and drop single pieces strategically to fill in the spaces.  Next I start dropping bundles of 9 logs at a time going back and forth across the corpse layering wood until each section starts to fill in.  This one took almost a week in game time to cover to this level.  The pile is roughly 135 pieces of wood!  I think I destroyed three improvised hatchets in the process chopping up all that wood.

screen_1e84cfb0-ce39-4963-9049-1e7ece889f4b_hi.thumb.png.16bbc71bfa65753714dda195acaaddd5.png

• Upvote 1