In game things that drive you mad

Jolan

• 2 weeks later...

Will and Astrid's incessant complaining. I turned that right off in the settings ages ago and really enjoy the silence of the quiet apocalypse. Stop crying about how tired or hungry you are Will, nobody's listening!

Close second for me is the wind. It's punishing, always blows your fire out when you don't want it to, and always in your face when you're tired and cold. I always give a little chuckle when it happens, like "Oh sure TLD, totally random right?!". Curse you, wind.

• Upvote 4
  • Like 1

Day 175, Voyageur, first game noob, first time in Milton. Damn. The wolves don't even look at bait anymore. You can hear them come around corners, over snow, etc. And they're running in full attack mode. Shooting them doesn't even slow them down. And I'm level 5 with the rifle. I know the game wants to kill you by now, but come on. Really?

I'll have to adjust. 

• Like 1

The thing that used to annoy me the most was how easy it was to accidentally eat uncooked meat from the radial menu but that has been fixed.

Probably at present just a couple of the locations in game where the cartography system generates either a poor rendering for the surroundings or when it doesn't note the named location I'm mapping from. 

• Like 1

On 10/18/2019 at 6:43 PM, henroe32 said:

Probably at present just a couple of the locations in game where the cartography system generates either a poor rendering for the surroundings or when it doesn't note the named location I'm mapping from. 

I know, you get such beautiful maps in most places and then bam a blotchy mess with areas that will never clear.

Hands down my biggest peeve in the game is Astrid saying 'I hope nobody is using this.' or was it 'I hope nobody needs this.'. One of those. It's the only dialogue that makes me just lose it, because it's like WHO WOULD BE USING IT?! YOU JUST SAW A FROZEN CORPSE, THAT GUY IS DEAD! THERE'S NOBODY ELSE STOP SAYING THAT!

Also probably the fact that 3/4ths of my pistol ammo goes into pieces of wood, carcasses, and sundry other things I'm trying to click on while wielding the revolver.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, ChubbyBeaver said:

Also probably the fact that 3/4ths of my pistol ammo goes into pieces of wood, carcasses, and sundry other things I'm trying to click on while wielding the revolver.

This is why I never have ammo for the wolves. I'm glad I'm not the only one. :D

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ManicManiac said:

Easy to avoid this by not trying to pick things up with the revolver in one's hand... it removes the possibility of a misfire.  :D 

I'm usually wielding it because a pack of wolves is hunting me. My luck, I put it away to pick the thing up and they get me.

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, ChubbyBeaver said:

I'm usually wielding it because a pack of wolves is hunting me. My luck, I put it away to pick the thing up and they get me.

If you have to keep it equipped (feel like you have to...), be very careful when you click on a stick or any loot you are trying to pick up. Make sure the item label is showing, and click on the item label, not the item. I generally don;t go around with the revolver in my hand, but when I have felt I had to, making sure I only click on a visible item label has kept me from hipfiring unintentionally. But, yeah, it is slower, since you can't run and just randomly click and hope.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, ChubbyBeaver said:

Fair enough... I only meant it's easy enough to holster it quick, do the thing and draw again; or (as @ThePancakeLady very rightly mentioned) just make sure that the item label for the thing you want to interact with is present on screen before trying to click.  It does call for more careful and deliberate action... but in my opinion that is an essential part of the flavor of this game anyways  :) 

4 hours ago, ThePancakeLady said:

making sure I only click on a visible item label has kept me from hipfiring unintentionally. But, yeah, it is slower, since you can't run and just randomly click and hope.

Right on! 100%  :coffee::fire::coffee:

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Like 1

On 9/7/2019 at 12:52 AM, Wade said:

Not being able to clean up garbage inside homes.

I love the game for what it is but that one thing makes me sad/mad everytime. For example, placing chairs that are lying around. (In real life I am not bothered by stuff lying around but in The Long Dark it bothers me somehow - I do not know where this is coming from :D Havesting the wood is an option but then the room looks very empty.

But other than that I agree with @ManicManiac: I take the game for what it is. :)

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

I can't  VAULT  or JUMP but everything else is fine for me..... 

Other then the kill zone above milton basin that end my 4DON 2018 run prematurely 

Edited by Enigma
Added slanted text for dramatic effect
  • Upvote 1

On 10/25/2019 at 9:04 PM, ManicManiac said:

Easy to avoid this by not trying to pick things up with the revolver in one's hand... it removes the possibility of a misfire.  :D 

But... but that wouldn't satisfy the paranoid part of my soul firmly convinced there's a wolf RIGHT BEHIND ME!

Guest kristaok

Some things that bother me are;

No vaulting or jumping,

&

No Map Marker to show your current location.

I have a few others but I will keep them to myself. :P

The thing that gets me the most is that it's impossible to survive forever. At some point you will run out of ways to start a fire, and while you theoretically could find a system to keep a fire going for a long time (see deep forest achievement) once it goes out you have no way to get water. That might not kill you faster than the wildlife will given half a chance, but it definitely will in time.

Another thing is that some items are fully useless once at 0% quality. While this does make sense for any food items, what about the survival bow and sewing kits? I feel like it would make sense if they were burnable, the sewing kit is a cardboard container and the bow is flat out made of wood. at least let me scrap recycled cans.

Edited by Kean Valk
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Jolan said:

I'm thinking fish hooks

You can scrap fishing hooks, I'm calling out cans because you can't even scrap them. Other than cooking, cans have no uses at all. While they DO degrade it's only by 10% if its contents are burned or boiled dry. So as long as you are careful to will end up with a pile of cans and no use for them all. (looking at the 20 I had in a corner of my stalker run before I noticed that they couldn't be scraped)

First and foremost, nothing drives me madder than my own stupidity.

Besides , finding 6 prybars in a row in two or three regions when I look for a hacksaw and that I find none. Randomization can have a repetitive pattern which makes the early game frustrating sometimes. Another thing is that lines and hooks (specially lines) seem pretty rare when setting up all the availability parameters at low. 

• Upvote 2