In game things that drive you mad

Jolan

When I forget the longer outdoor fire times. I did this once when I was in a fishing hut on coastal highway. Lit a fire and was close to starving and there was a blizzard. Decided to fish. Caught the biggest fish I have ever caught and earned the “It was this big” achievement. Set it on the fire to cook and decided to sleep. I knew i would be ok warmth-wise with my clothing even when the fire went out. Forgot that the fire would keep going when I thought it would die out just after the fish cooked. Woke up to a burnt fish. Sooooo many calories ruined. Died of starvation when another blizzard rolled in and I got cornered by a wolf in a house near the quonset. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...
On 11/2/2019 at 11:34 AM, Kean Valk said:

You can scrap fishing hooks, I'm calling out cans because you can't even scrap them. Other than cooking, cans have no uses at all. While they DO degrade it's only by 10% if its contents are burned or boiled dry. So as long as you are careful to will end up with a pile of cans and no use for them all. (looking at the 20 I had in a corner of my stalker run before I noticed that they couldn't be scraped)

I was actually thinking scrapped cans would make great fishing hooks :)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Bleed out system is still broken. I was in desolation point and was so stoked that i finally have one peace of my becoming bear coat available but no. That sucker is still alive and kicking and no blood trail to be seen. It's cold and miserable and i want my bear coat! To top it all, one of my arrow is missing and cannot find it. Kiitos ja anteeksi.

• Upvote 2

On 9/2/2019 at 11:40 PM, Jolan said:

What in game things, drive you mad?  Here's one for me - that wolf is near the island you can't get to in CH.  The weak ice doesn't seem to bother the deer or the wolves.  I've lost a couple of deer in just about that spot too.  Just drives me mad.  Plus, I really want to see what's on the back side of the island.

While there is a couple pet peeves that most would understand, sometimes its something that breaks the lore for me that gets me.....was searching through the plane crash in PV and I kinda started crafting some story lines for some of the victims that died there....this is skater bob, his mom made him a lucky scarf for the big tournament....This is peg, she was wearing her fancy light shell to her Alaskan get away trip......this is George, he was.....illegally holding onto a liter of lantern fuel??? Just how did he get this past security???

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

On 9/5/2019 at 4:15 PM, ManicManiac said:

Nothing.  I accept this game for what it is.  :) 

I gotta say, I'm with you on this. Sure there are things that occasionally off putting (like the inability to jump, but I'll admit that is more due to playing another similar game "Stranded Deep" that allows me to jump, then I switch back to TLD and am momentarily flabbergasted that I can't hop over a log) But nothing that makes me upset or mad.

The game is gorgeous, the music is haunting and overall I'm happy with the latest mechanic adjustments (I really like the newer cooking system)

Keep is up Hinterland! Your updates always feel like Christmas!

• Like 1

@Gracia_WolfSlayer

Right on, I too will "take vacations" to the tropics of Stranded Deep and 4546B (Subnautica) - on the rare occasions I might feel like taking a break from freezing to death :D 

:coffee::fire::coffee:
Although that's very rare... I have to admit I play TLD far more than anything else in my library.

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

I swear the wind algorithm is borderline sentient. And also, about as friendly as SkyNet.

I just lost my latest Interloper on Muskeg Overlook. I caught some rabbits, cooked them in the hollow tree, and settled in with my bedroll. Cue a blizzard blowing at exactly the right direction to extinguish my fire and freeze my sorry corpse.

To whoever in the Hinterland team designed that feature, bravo.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

@ManicManiac

TLD is for sure most of my game play. Stranded deep has a ways to go in development before it's a really solid game. But sharks are scary and when it's a rainy winter irl, it's nice to hit the sun and sand occasionally. 

If you didn't know, the Beam team on SD has started getting great updates out on a good schedule again. Check it out if you haven't. 

Nothing really bothers me that's in the game. Mainly just the fact that bears and moose tend to show up on moving day, or a 3 day blizzard rolls in, the game always knows somehow. 

But what really bothers me is something that isn't in the game, I REALLY wish we could craft storage containers. I'm so sick of having to lay stuff out all over my home base.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/9/2020 at 7:40 AM, wizard03 said:

While there is a couple pet peeves that most would understand, sometimes its something that breaks the lore for me that gets me.....was searching through the plane crash in PV and I kinda started crafting some story lines for some of the victims that died there....this is skater bob, his mom made him a lucky scarf for the big tournament....This is peg, she was wearing her fancy light shell to her Alaskan get away trip......this is George, he was.....illegally holding onto a liter of lantern fuel??? Just how did he get this past security???

mad skillz and a few well placed bribes 😀 But pity poor George who's nefarious plans were foiled by a freak act of nature! 

On 2/9/2020 at 5:40 AM, wizard03 said:

Actually if you go far enough north in canada they don't look at what you bring on the plane. At least that was my experience, nobody checked anything I had on me.

Guest kristaok

Sprains. Just yesterday going up and down like 2 hills on my way to hunters cabin in ML I got a foot and hand sprain. <.<

Yeah I play with sprains disabled. I tried them again with the new system but it's still not there for me. I think a lot of the problem is I try to get up a hill, hit a wall, and then strafe against the wall to find where the magic spot I can get past is. I probably spend a lot of extra time on hills because of this so I just end up being sprained forever. I think what would be nice is if the snow we couldn't walk on was a little darker or something so that we could tell where we can or cannot go.

• Upvote 1

The wind in my face and how it changes direction to stay in my face.  I finally got Blizzard Walker and it seems to help in that regard. 

In the area of trivial things that irk me there is the always ending up with charcoal in hand whenever I harvest any.  If I want to use charcoal to map, I can use the radial menu to get a piece.  :)

• Upvote 1

Guest kristaok
On 11/18/2019 at 8:10 PM, JaySovereign said:

I just sprained my wrist WHILE harvesting a carcass. Which is new.

That must have been some pretty heavy Bear Meat LOL.

Guest kristaok
2 hours ago, diggity said:

Especially for the Weather and how cold it is, you'd think the ice would be thicker or at least let us crawl over the ice.

On 3/7/2020 at 6:57 AM, diggity said:

Weak ice in general.  Along the coast, ok, that must be salt-water, although even oceans freeze up obviously when cold enough.  But in FM?  That's freshwater and would freeze several metres thick in these conditions (if it's somehow connected to the ocean I'd like to see how/where).

Because that's how it works in real life too.

The creek he knew was frozen clear to the bottom—no creek could contain water in that arctic winter—but he knew also that there were springs that bubbled out from the hillsides and ran along under the snow and on top the ice of the creek. He knew that the coldest snaps never froze these springs, and he knew likewise their danger. They were traps. They hid pools of water under the snow that might be three inches deep, or three feet. Sometimes a skin of ice half an inch thick covered them, and in turn was covered by the snow. Sometimes there were alternate layers of water and ice-skin, so that when one broke through he kept on breaking through for a while, sometimes wetting himself to the waist.

To Build a Fire by Jack London

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

A lot!

Wind in my face, magically knowing where i want to go.

Self-glowing breath in my face at night, totally blocking my vision.

Local maps are not oriented north, instead, uhm, somehow. And being not detailed enough. There is a climbing rope thats at he far end of mystery lake. Was standing right in front of it and scribbled the map. Nope, its not on the map.

Tiny obstacles i can't seem to get over. Have that happen while you try to get away from a bear.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1