Stupidest way you have died

starfighter441

• 3 weeks later...

Day 45 of interloper. I had parasites. Need 4 more doses to cure, so I was seeking for mushrooms. And everything looked promising. I went to raven, went to the edge of the breaking rail on the bridge, paused the game and went for a pee. Then come back, hit Esc and automatically hit W to move on. And fell from the bridge. The end.

Edited by chuckie
  • Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

Probably yesterday on my interloper run pass day 50, I was very lucky by having a mag glass and a firestriker, also managed to craft bow and clothes and wanted to hunt for food.

So I hunted down a deer with my bow and began harvesting it by the kg and cook the meat in the fishing hut some meters away. A wolf noticed me so I went into the hut and waited for it to pass by. I shot it dead and was cheering for my first piece of wolf coat. Then I continued prepping the meat of the deer, it was night already when I noticed another wolf nearby. "Hey there's coat piece number two," I thought and tried to get it's attention.

I went inside the fishing hut and waited for the wolf to pass by but it didn't come. So I went back out and tried again to get noticed, he approached, I went inside the hut, he walked away. This went on for 3-4 times until he finally began to charge me. "Screw it, I'm going to shoot you right here eye to eye" were my last thoughts just before "oh nooooo" because I overshot it.. :S My condition was already down to 25% when the struggle began and I faded into the dark within 1 or 2 seconds.

Bottom line: Overconfidence is Killer number one in TLD!

Edited by ChillPlayer
  • Upvote 3

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/8/2017 at 2:11 PM, chuckie said:

Day 45 of interloper. I had parasites. Need 4 more doses to cure, so I was seeking for mushrooms. And everything looked promising. I went to raven, went to the edge of the breaking rail on the bridge, paused the game and went for a pee. Then come back, hit Esc and automatically hit W to move on. And fell from the bridge. The end.

How many goddamn victims has this bridge claimed? If this was an MMORPG the bodies would be piled so high there would be no more gaps to fall through! :D

• 2 weeks later...

By far the dumbest way I've died is  freezing to death after getting lost in the fog, at night, after a falling through the ice,  and running out of matches. All because I got greedy and HAD to harvest a deer before sleeping, so I could get 8 hours of curing while I slept! This game should be renamed "Don't get greedy, or else!"

• Upvote 2

This one pretty much sums it up. Almost made it to two days on my bandit adventure, and on the way to the mines to get to CH, I decide I could take on one more wolf with my prybar.  As difficult as it was going, I was actually doing quite well, until I let a decision screw it up.

@rugbygrrl_15 definitely put it best. If the quiet apocalypse doesn't do you in, your own greed will.

One of my first games I was attacked by a wolf at night. I managed to make it to the dam, didn't realise to use a bandage until I got inside. While I am applying first aid and looking through inventory I get jumped by Fluffy. I panicked and selected my fist instead of the knife and die. I actually thought for a time the wolf had followed me through the door as I didn't know about fluffy at that time.

• Upvote 1

Stupid ways to die...there have been so many.  I was playing early on in the development, when the graphics were not too refined yet.  I walked down to investigate a waterfall and got stuck ina one foot deep hole...couldn't get out!  I've walked into the fire several times, learned bears eat you the hard way, etc.  But the worst or stupidest was early playing in the animals eat you mode, and as soon as the screen came on, a wolf was eating my face.  I lasted a few seconds...my quickest death also.

• Upvote 1

I went to pet a bear once. Obviously, it didn't end well for me :D

This was back when the bears were fresh in the game. I was in a Coastal in the forest when I came across a bear. Now, I was playing both Pilgrim and Voyager runs at that point and in both instances, I was living in Coastal. I had been playing a lot of Pilgrim on that day and was very used that the wildlife just ran away from me. I completely forgot that I took a break and switched over to my Voyager game. I was somewhat low on condition because of weather before and I had very low energy, but who cares, right? The things will run away from me, so I will slowly make it to my base at Jackrabbits. 

It was strange to me that the bear started to approach me rather than running away - I figured the game glitched and he didn't see me, I was very looking forward to getting some awesome screenshots of the new bears. 
Welp.
When I tried to pet it and take my camera out, he was so happy he decided to give me a good ol´ bear hug and I died very quickly from all the love. Didn't even take those screenshots.

Lesson learned: Make double sure you are playing the proper game mode :D

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Gantsum said:

Stupid ways to die...there have been so many.  I was playing early on in the development, when the graphics were not too refined yet.  I walked down to investigate a waterfall and got stuck ina one foot deep hole...couldn't get out!  I've walked into the fire several times, learned bears eat you the hard way, etc.  But the worst or stupidest was early playing in the animals eat you mode, and as soon as the screen came on, a wolf was eating my face.  I lasted a few seconds...my quickest death also.

I remember I took a very long time off from the game at one point, and when I came back to it, there were different modes. I was pretty good in TLD, with a 50 days survived in that early stages of the game (was playing offline so no achievement tho), so I figured "why not, I will try the Stalker". Lasted for two minutes IRL before I got torn to shreds. :D

Lesson learned: Overconfidence is deadlier than the cold. :D

• Upvote 1

My very first playthrough I was freaking out because I didn't have any tinder. I was out of newspaper, it was night, my character didn't have any good clothing, I didn't know where to find shelter and was squatting in a fishing hut.

...I had no idea you could turn sticks into tinder plugs. I died holding a huge pile of sticks that could've saved my life.

• Upvote 3

Okay, so I have two stories.

First,

This was a few months ago so I don't remember much of the context. But I know it was the first time I had come across a climbing rope in game and I was in kind of bad shape and hoped something that would save me would be up there. I look up at it and go, I can totally climb that. So I start climbing not realizing that my stamina was pretty low. I get about halfway up before I realize that I am not gonna make it after all. No big deal. I start heading back down. I get down to the bottom and hop off the rope, turn around, and there is a bear running straight towards me. I panic and get back on the rope and climb a little ways back up. But my stamina is quickly fading and I know I can't stay up here forever and that bear is not going anywhere any time soon. I am sure you can all imagine what happened next. Bear lunch.

Second,

This was more recent. I was hanging around ML relearning the game since I stopped playing for a while. I got myself nice and settled in the Camp Office and decided that my stats were all good and the weather was nice so I was going to go exploring. I left and headed to the tracks and walked until I found the entrance to a new map. I cross over and start heading out across some ice. Soon afterwards I have my first experience with thin ice, which I didn't even know that was a game feature lol. 

I was walking across the ice when I see two wolves and a bear at varying distances in front of me and to my sides. At this moment I hear the ice start creaking and try to start sprinting and splash! In the water I go. Luckily, I was at full health so I didn't lose much but then I was freezing and hypothermic and every time I try to take a few steps I fall in again. After falling maybe 6 times i finally make it to land and have maybe 10% health left but there are still wolves/bears really close by. But I know I cannot go anywhere unless I am warmed up as I was already swaying and about to pass out. So, thinking I am probably going to die anyway, I make myself a fire with the sticks and wood I have, lay my bed roll down next to it, and sleep out in the open waiting for death to take me. 

Somehow, I make it through by sleeping 2-3 hours at a time. I make it back up to a stable condition and all warmed back up so I pick up my bedroll and try to slink back where I came from back to ML, carefully avoiding the wolves that are still patrolling nearby. I am, at this point, feeling pretty confident since I just cleverly saved myself from deaths clutches. But the bad part about the sleeping arrangement was I slept through the day and had to try to find my way back at night. I was doing fine until the weather turned bad and my condition started dropping again. Not stupid enough to try to keep going, I collect a few more sticks and make myself a snow shelter and a nice fire in a wind sheltered alcove and go to try and wait out the storm. I was safe inside when i realized I was hungry and that I should to cook myself something. So I get out of the snow shelter and in doing so got slightly disoriented and ended up backing up over the fire and dying almost instantly from the burns. :)

• Upvote 5

On ‎2017‎-‎08‎-‎12 at 10:57 AM, Mike in GA said:

First time to FM I fell through the thin ice, and thought I just needed to run faster and… I kept falling through the ice. Froze to death in a matter of seconds   

Yeah, running on thin ice is not a good idea :D 

when they first released the bear i was excited was in ML  for 100 days finally packed up and headed to coastal highway still hadn't seen a bear and wanted to get a closer look at the graphics on it. well im in CH now and im walking across the first bridge and i see a bear down by the camp, i had a gun so i was like ill kill it and get a closer look at the graphics... well i shot.... and did get a good look at the bear.... right in the face.....

• Upvote 1

I was on Pilgrim. Forgot about "predators will not attack, unless prevoked." Shot a bear, thinking I could one-hit kill him like I did my first bear. Nope. After being pummeled to within an inch of my life, I figured, well surely a second shot will put him down! Nope, again. I bled out. And that was the end of my longest save, about 145 days. Had just made it the the summit of TM the day prior, too.

• Upvote 1