Stupidest way you have died

starfighter441

5 hours ago, Pillock said:

Hide contents

you can't break down crates in the dark, but you can start to break them if you have a lightsource when you begin the process - it doesn't matter if that lightsource will last the full duration of the crate-breaking process or not. So I just lit a match and then started breaking a crate that would take 1hr30min!

I do  believe you can break crate down in the darkness by hand...  takes a long time depending on size.  1 and half hours on the big ones, an hour on the medium size.  I think the little milk crate size is a half hour.  

• Upvote 1

On ‎2018‎-‎05‎-‎23 at 1:54 PM, Pillock said:

I started breaking up a crate. About half way through that process an aurora must have started, and my crate must have - unknown to me - been right next to an electrical cable. So I was instantly electrocuted and killed in the middle of my crate-breaking. One second I'm watching the progress bar, the next second I'm dead. It's only because I've been electrocuted there before that I was even able to work out what happened!

Anyway, it's probably the most unlikely way that I've ever died in TLD, due to the specific combination of circumstances. I can't really imagine it happening again. Maybe it was karma for gaming the mechanics a bit?

That is super bizarre! :D 

• Upvote 2

On 23.5.2018 at 4:56 AM, Pillock said:

Busy man-splaining the game to my girlfriend:

"So, you see you these plants that grow by the river - you can take them for food. They don't give you many calories by themselves, but I've collected about 8 of them here so that should be enough for now. I can eat them before I sleep and recover some of my health condition."

<closes inventory window to see a wolf charging towards me about 10 yards away>

"Wuuuurrraaaagghhhh"

Dead.

Hilarious scene. I mean, your monologue explaining game mechanics to your girlfriend is a bomb just as a stand-alone. But then the wolf on top... fantastic.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hopelessly lost, freezing, and starving during my first time in the HRV, after getting turned around during a whiteout.  I'm desperate to find the nearby campfire where I left my sleeping bag, when what's this?  Smoke through the trees; it must be my campfire!    

20180709165715_1.thumb.jpg.18a3d111a31e1a4828ec3e85807d95e4.jpg

Off I go, so proud of how smart I am to find my way home.  So proud I even take a screenshot of my brilliant day-save.  So proud that I don't notice: A) that is not my smoke, and B) the ground is about to end.  

RIP cliffdiver.  

• Upvote 4
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

It was a quite successful interloper run till then, 10 days in, started at desolation point, traversed and looted everything up to trappers cabin. Had everything I needed for my trip to FM forge and was happy as hell to have made it so far so well.  All I needed was a full stomach, a good night's sleep, a drink of water and a good repair of my clothes. I was so excited to have made it that I forgot I was down to 15% health when I happily decided to use my hacksaw to get that fir limp just outside the cabin. " let's get this wood and go to slee..." (morbid music) DUUUAaannng " you faded into your stupidity "....

EDIT - "into your long stupidity" 

Edited by MrBlack
  • Upvote 3
  • Like 1

Guest jeffpeng

I guess the by far most idiotic thing that I did to myself was exploring the ravine under the broken bridge at broken railroad, climbing down already heavily tired and virtually unprepared (having basically everything sitting in the maintenance shed). Having walked halfway through it I got surprised by a blizzard, almost no firewood on me. Having to choose between freezing and climbing up almost completely exhausted I chose to climb, only to fall down, down to 10% condition.

While this is already careless-on-the-verge-of-being-suicidal, what made this really stupid-on-the-verge-of-being-hilarious was that when I tried to salvage this un-salvageable situation I realized I had an emergency stim on me all that time, that I could have made the climb easily and probably could have made it safe back to the maintenance shed. I just sat down and chose to freeze to death, so my miserable existence would finally end.

I remember the stupidest way I died. Completely underestimating the impact my clothing had. So 80 days on stalker and spent the last few days at the small broken home outside of the transition zone from PV to TWM to climb the summit. Problem is, I was very heavy and needed to climb ropes. I took 2 loads of items to the top of the rope and left my bedroll at the top. I made it to a small ledge before I was extremely tired. I was carrying very heavy clothing, such as a bearskin coat, wolfskin coat, deerskin pants, and other rather bulky items. So my logic says "Drop some of the heavy clothes, go to the bedroll, sleep and go back for them." Stupid in hindsight but leave me alone. I take off most of my clothing and climb back to my bedroll, completely don't even consider bringing it back down to put my clothes back on, just sleep there for I don't know how long, and watch myself get hypothermia and die. All I was thinking at the time was how much an idiot I was as I hadn't even felt cold in over 20 days due to my heavy insulation so I hadn't even considered that. But oh well, we learn.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Got attacked by a wolf and didn't have any antiseptic. Went on a quest to find old man's beard only to realize I was getting frostbite. Began quest for gloves.

> "Quest? I'm already on a quest."

Image result for quest? I'm already on a quest

At signal hill, meet Kenai from Brother Bear. Pull out rifle in the hopes that he'll use it to sign autograph. "Accidentally" shoot him in the face. 

> tfw it's not kenai

Now my stuff's scattered everywhere and I'm what happens when you try to be at risk of an infection twice. Still no beard. Still no antisep. Die convulsing in bed at farmstead. Didn't realize you had to sleep for ten consecutive hours after taking antibiotics. 

> WhY diDn't i rEaD thE lAbel oN tHe bOttLe

Full story here. 

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

One of my first plays of the game. Started out at the trappers and had a great start, even found a ski jacket. Was thinking to myself, "man, this is already going way better than my other starts. this is where I survive!". Decide to go wandering to find the lake office, but my meta was still pretty bad. Ended up what I now know as unnamed pond. Night had already set and I was getting tired, so I made a fire and went to sleep in my bedroll. "This will be fine. No wolves around!". Character woke up early. That's weird, why did he do that? I hear the sounds of huffing and panting. What's that? Doesn't sound like a wolf. Next thing I know I had a face full of bear maul. Bear started to walk off, I'm near death. I start to limp away, but there is not cover. Bear returns, deciding it liked its new squeeker toy.

• Like 1

This was when I just started playing the game.

I started a voyageur game in ML. Since it was one of my first times playing, of course I did very poorly.

I ran out of food, and maybe water. I started walking and for some reason found the tunnel to FM and went to FM. It was the middle of the night. I climbed up to a hill in FM, started a fire, and slept. 

However, I don’t think my fire was long enough, or it got blown out, because I woke up with hypothermia and with less than 10% condition. There was nothing I could do, so my poor character froze to death.

Edited by TheRealEBE
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Two very short stories:

1. Stupid death by ignorance

I was hungry, had little food, so one morning I ate a tin of sardines. Their condition was 34%. I got food poisoning. I take antibiotics but my condition keeps worsening. I scramble to get enough reishi mushrooms and rose hips to make teas, having heard of their healing properties. I waste a lot of time in the process, and my health keeps getting worse. I take antibiotics again. I drink the teas but my character keeps complaining. "What a shitty way to die", he remarks. I eventually die at dusk, in fact. If only I'd known I also had to sleep after taking all those medicines...

2. Stupid death by bad luck

Everything was going well in Pleasant Valley. I was excited to discover a new location — Rural Crossroads — with a few more buildings to explore. I'm inside the last house, the one that has a fire barrel outside nearby. I realise I'm thirsty and low on liquids, so I exit the house and walk towards the fire barrel to make some water. A bear comes out of nowhere and kills me. It was probably behind me or somewhere outside my field of vision, but I'm still scratching my head as to why I also didn't hear it.

–Rick

• Upvote 2

Decided to give Interloper a go.  How hard could it be, right?

Spawned in HRV.  I've never been there before.  Couple hours of daylight left.  2-arrows down cold.  To avoid a wolf, I happened across a bear.  To avoid the bear I climbed a long rope.  With Hypo Risk and FrostBite risk, I find a cave! . . . made of Ice.  0C temp.  I strike out again to a brush dead-end.  Backtrack.  Mr. Wolf again.  How'd he get up here?  Hypo and got the Wobbles.  Decide to spend the rest of my seconds in the beauty of the Ice Cave.

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys,

It's nice to meet you all. I'm completely new to the game. I found my death humorous during my very first attempt at playing. Basically, I got dropped in at something like negative double digits and windy. My character was slowly dying of cold. The huts I found had no fireplaces and weren't offering cold protection, the fires kept getting extinguished by wind. I was just colder and colder and colder. I've spent what must have been a  day searching for a warm place or clothes or a safe place for a fire. Finally I've dropped camp under a hut wall and I got the fire started, but it got blown out again. So I jumped up and decided to yolo run for it to any different location. As I did so, I accidentally stepped into what looked like burned out fire and it BURNED my character to crisp. That was just so dun goofed silly. To be dying of cold all game long, but ending up dead to fire I've sought the protection of. :P

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

haha Thank you! I suppose silly newbie things will keep the veterans amused. I've also created a new thread 'the newbie survivor log' which describes the experience in more details. I'm also polishing the details of my 2nd run. This one I had more success and even 1 day survival badge. Though this seems like the game I will be constantly bad at. What I find I like is how different both experiences are although the map is the same. In rpg you're always following the same set of quests.

One thing I haven't understood is how the game counts time. It gave me a badge after 24h, but when I clicked journal it showed something like five days. O.o Is our Survivor going bonkos from challenges where she feels like one night lasts seven that they count funny?

I'm sure this thread will see more of my multiple silly deaths in the future. :P

Also, what is the difference between like and upvote on this forum?

Edited by tulkawen
  • Upvote 3

On 11/14/2018 at 1:37 PM, tulkawen said:

Also, what is the difference between like and upvote on this forum?

None, I guess. But I tend to "love" when I like, and upvote for encouragements :)

It reminds me of when I died out in a very cold blizzard, the blizzard ended on morning to show me I had spent the whole night in my bedroll freezing to death 10m away from a trailer shelter. Too late!

On 11/14/2018 at 1:37 PM, tulkawen said:

Though this seems like the game I will be constantly bad at.

Every run you learn something new. Don't bother about the badges times, I think they are real time. But in-game time has its own peculiarities :) . The Survivor doesn't care about real time at all,that's for sure.

• Upvote 2

Ouch! I've already experienced a blizzard too. Can't see past my nose. 10m is a really far distance as Survivor, especially if the wolves are after you.

I've noticed though that the game does give you official count in days/hours/mins after you sleep sometimes. I was just wandering from the perspective of writing if I were to describe the experience day by day and night by night hence it's possible to freeze any time. I guess to me a day passes based on the compass we have, sun goes up then sun goes down - this is day 1, then moon goes up, moon goes down - this is n1.

I'm thinking maybe the game only counts by 24. As in, if you get dropped onto the map past noon, then you get 1 day only next past noon. Not sure. Kinda confused all over.

Yeah, my Survivor only cares about real time complaining. Sometimes I get a notch mad at her because I just ate, but not a lot of calories. The stomach is in white, but the line is low. Then she talks about eating horses. I'm like, oh can it you endless food pit! You just ate five mins ago, you aren't starving to death! Ever heard of food preservation?

I never play the girl, for the exact reason I feel she has too much energy to complain...

Anyway, hit "J" on PC and you'll access the "Journal" menu, here you can find the day you're in. That's what we usually use to report the survival stories. Each day is from midnight to midnight I think, meaning you can spawn just before midnight, live less than a game-hour, and already be on day 2. The indication after sleeping however, is exact about how long you survived. The indication when you're dead is exact too, but it usually is less frequent than sleeping :)

Edited by BareSkin
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

My first time playing this game had me actively searching for something to melt my water in. I tried lighting fires in areas that looked like they'd hold water, I tried looking for a can, I tried looking up trees and fell off the cliff at least once.  When I eventually stopped trying to over think it I got it and it was probably one of my most favorite newbie experiences with this game.  Now with the new water/cooking system it's a little more like what I had been expecting then.

A more recent and truly memorable death for me now though occurred during the  4 Days of Night event.
I'd started 4 characters and got them all through their first "night" in hopes that one would make it to the end. Two died at the VERY freaking start of night 2 (stupid wolves), the third died of hypothermia because I kept falling into water trying to avoid things, and lucky #4.... well.

Lucky 4 made it to night 3, but not easily. I discovered a way out of the starting zone (as this was my first time playing survival it took a little longer) and was making my way through the valley. I thought I found a way through that'd take me to the next zone. So I descend into this ravine. I promptly discover a dead deer and a few cattails and a cave to sleep in. I'd open up my map and get confused because it looked like I could get to where I needed to go from this ravine but I couldn't find this mystical exit.  It took me at least an hour to give up and try going back up the rope I'd come down on. This is where the adventure really began. I couldn't for the life of me get up the rope again!  I ended up using all my food trying to give me a boost up and then it hit me... I wasn't leaving this area. It was on then I had 2 hours to go before finishing this night. I collected ALL the cattails I could set up as long lasting of a fire that I could boiled as much water as I could carry and began making coffee. Thankfully I'd packed enough tins that the next 2 hours was much like college, surviving on coffee and a fear of death. 

While I didn't make  it to the fourth night, that feeling of wonder as night 3 rolled in was perfect. Snagged a screen of the very start of the next night too.

DqvBWvDU4AE1D_b.jpg

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

On 12/7/2018 at 6:53 PM, Wintersteel said:

Walked right onto a live wire during the first Aurora in story mode.

I wanted to kick myself.

Not in story mode, but when they originally added the aurora in the sandbox i wanted to see what happened when i walked across i live wire.

I was walking in desolation point when I got attacked by a bear. Okay I know not that bad bear wounds are easy to clean up I thought but then another bear attacked me from behind then another from the side and I died. I was doing pretty good up to that point but then...BEAR then ANOTHER BEAR then THE THIRD BEAR!!! And then there was the time I was in Pleasent Valley admiring the view and I didn't notice that my finger was still on the controller moving my character forward and eventually I fell off a cliff. RIP. So in my case the game is not called The Long Dark Its called The Long Stupidity.

Edited by Tri13
  • Upvote 1

I died like that :

I'm at Trapper's and I decide to harvest a carcass near the derailment: a wolf attack me, I'm at 5O% of my condition. This is the evening, therefore, I come back to Trapper's. At the "ramp"  in front of the house, there is a deer, he fled and suddenly hears a mooing, I'm thinking : "These deer make a strange noise ", suddenly, a moose charge me (maybe you think I'm stupid but I hadn't spotted a bear or a moose), me here has 10% of condition, I will treat myself to the house, I have the cursor in the door, my finger is getting ready to press the key when the moose re-charge me !!! :(

• Like 1