Stupidest way you have died

starfighter441

3 hours ago, June said:

Then I thought it was a brilliant idea to sleep 8 or 9 hours in the wreck itself with view onto the valley through the hole in its end. Only I forgot I was using a regular sleeping bag, not my bearskin type. The cold hit hard,

You know there's a cave up on the summit, right? Not saying it's fool proof protection against a blizzard, but it sure beats the wreck, which only provides protection against the wind.

• Upvote 1

Knowing what I know now, I would probably make the 1 hour (gametime) hike to the preppers bunker below the rope in CV to stay the night when on Timberwolf Mountain. It's easy enough to hike to and from to the Mountaineers Hut and theirs no wolves to worry about. And you can get a full nights sleep there without worrying about freezing!

Much would depend on my condition. If I was above 80%, I'd stay at the hut and only sleep 2 hours at a time. plus I'd make sure I have about 10 hours worth of wood in the hut at all times. But it's obvious to me now, that sleeping in the mountaineers hut at night without a fire is "Russian Roulette".

Edited by cowboymrh

2 hours ago, cowboymrh said:

Knowing what I know now, I would probably make the 1 hour (gametime) hike to the preppers bunker below the rope in CV to stay the night when on Timberwolf Mountain. It's easy enough to hike to and from to the Mountaineers Hut and theirs no wolves to worry about. And you can get a full nights sleep there without worrying about freezing!

Much would depend on my condition. If I was above 80%, I'd stay at the hut and only sleep 2 hours at a time. plus I'd make sure I have about 10 hours worth of wood in the hut at all times. But it's obvious to me know that sleeping in the mountaineers cabin at night without a fire is "Russian Roulette".

I've spent something like 400 nights in the Mountaineer's Hut, even on new characters without much gear.  (Before Interloper I often rolled stalker there and just stay on map.)  Sleeping in the abandoned cache in PV is certainly a safer option, especially if your condition is very low  If your condition is good it's not really necessary.

What I did was figure out how long it takes to freeze to death, and when that's most likely to happen.  (Freezing = 20 condition/hour lost.  Hypothermia = 40 condition/hour lost).  Then time my sleep to wake up early enough to start a fire if I was in trouble.  And of course keep loads of sticks / firewood in the hut.

Dawn is the coldest time of day and a blizzard at dawn is the nightmare scenario.  So I sleep 1 hour stretches near dawn and get up, build a fire and make water if I start losing heat while sleeping.  Not a bad idea to keep a few pieces of coal handy in case you need to pump up the heat of your fire.

Edited by Ruruwawa
  • Upvote 1

On 2016-12-21 at 11:37 AM, cowboymrh said:

That does make me feel better because it's a real "bummer" of a way to die!!

You think everything is going great, all is well, no worries, ....................then BAM!!!!!  It's like getting punched in the gut!

I wish I could have noticed how cold it actually got, but it all happened so fast!

I do wish there was a way you could wake up and start a fire when something like that happens so you at least have a fighting chance!

Sorry to break the bad news @cowboymrh... but I think you could have survived. If you're playing on PC you can hit ESC at any time (I don't know what the XBox equivalent is) to cancel any action. This should also apply to sleep. The next time you're sleeping try it.

• 2 weeks later...

Day 3 pilgrim mode

Gets rifle. Gets ammo...

Sees bear...

Hmm I want that achievement for sleeping in all fur. I've aced almost every Cabela's hunting game how hard could it be?

Shoots bear.

Bear attacks.

I survive... Oh look my rifle and the bear is still there..

Empties clip into bear...

Bear is annoyed and unamused.

I am become bear food.

• Upvote 6
  • Like 1

Don't play angry. I learned that lesson the hard way yesterday.

Started the day comfortably in my campground up in Marsh Ridge in Forlorn Muskeg. I had been living for about a week in the outdoor cave (178 days into a Stalker game). I was waiting for a non-foggy day to go out and explore this new region. Finally got one, and left camp early morning. Worked my way to roughly middle-map and discovered the High Blind. Then (as usual) the fog rolled in. It was at that point that I realized I had stupidly left my bearskin bedroll in the cave, even though I knew this was a map with no beds. Dumb. Now I knew I had to return to my cave in case the weather worsened. I followed my own footprints to the train tracks, and could find my way back from there. Easy-peasy. Walking back to my campground, uneventfully. I was heading up Hat Creek when I got a notification. Frostbite on my foot. What the hell - I hadn't even noticed that my boots and socks were completely frozen. So I got pretty irritated at that. But kept playing.

Then in real life my wife asked me a question that I answered in a snippy way thanks to my irritation about the no-warning frostbite affliction. That started a little argument that got me more worked up, and distracted me mentally from the game. I kept playing through. I checked the temperature, and went to sleep in the cave. Wake up 5 hours later to see if it had gotten colder than my bearskin would protect me against. It hadn't, so went back to sleep for another few hours. Wake up in the morning. More frostbite. Idiot. I hadn't taken my frozen boots and socks off and put them next to the fire before going to sleep because I wasn't paying full attention. Now I've got a permanent -20 health. Fantastic. And the IRL argument with my wife continued.

Man, I'm feeling really angry and irritated now. I should have shut the game off at that point. Didn't.

Instead, I left my campsite again in an attempt to cover the ground I hadn't the day before and discover more of this new map. My mild real-life anger overcame my common sense and patience. It was foggy, as usual, but I set out anyways. I figured I can just hug the right side (east?) wall to orient myself. Of course, this means steep ground in some parts, leading to two sprained wrists and a sprained ankle. Save the painkillers though - I can do this.

On the far side of the railway line, I made my way along a new road, across a fallen trees bridge, and I found a new cave with an even more significant warmth bonus near the back! Awesome, I'm so great at this game to discover this new cave despite the fog! This will be my new staging ground for discovering the far side of the map. Let's just set down my bedroll and wait out the fog. ... GODDAMN it I forgot my bedroll again. More anger. More irritation. Kept playing.

OK, so let's drop all the other heavy stuff I'm carrying (firewood, coal, water, etc) - I'll have to retrace my steps again and get my bedroll, some food, etc to make this cave a new staging ground. The good news is, the fog has cleared so I can easily see my way back without having to be too careful. Walk out of the cave without a worry in the world. WOOF WOOF! A wolf is nearby that I hadn't seen on approach. Too close to avoid, and can't run thanks to sprained ankle. Hide near the back of the cave! Get my bow ready! No - two sprained wrists. Take painkillers, quick! Take first painkiller, heal first wrist. Take a second painkiller. No - not for my ankle! Too late, the wolf is on me. Attacks me, drops my health down to 40%. Damn it, this is serious. Have to make it back to my campground to sleep it off. So heal up, then out I go again, this time more carefully.

Great, clear day now. Would have been great for exploring the muskeg. But I make my way back along the path I came. On the road, I hear crows - oh, I can see them! I wander over to see what it is - there's a little island down there, easily accessible, with a dead body on it and what appears to be a flare. I hop down a little hill to get to the island, loot body (nothing) but take the flare. OK, back to the path. Nope. Can't return up that hill - it's too steep. Shit, this is serious. There are wolves on one side of the island (the side heading back towards home), and what looks like thin ice everywhere else. What can I do? I decide to go backwards away from home, and away from the wolves. I hug the rock wall across the ice. Thin ice warning. Oh God. Try to sprint through it instead of returning to the island. Idiot. Crack, through the ice I go. Back on the island now freezing, and at 25% health. Start a hot fire, quick! Nope, I dropped all my firewood and coal in the cave. I have a few sticks, and there are more on the island. By the time I strip my clothes off and lay them next to the fire, and get it hot enough, I'm down to 15% health. But stable. Dry clothes, get warmth back up. Now what?

OK, just gotta get past the wolves and find the path again, then it's a relatively painless return home since it's a clear day. Forget sneaking, we gotta move fast. Crack the flare, and take a stimpack (first one I've needed in 178 days!) Let's do this! Hyah! HYAH! Brandishing the flare towards the wolves to scare them off, I dash across the ice close to the wall. Thin ice warning. Again? Was this island and corpse some kind of booby trap? Can't be thin ice this way too - I can sprint through this! Nope. Crack through the ice. Back on island at 3% health, soaking wet, hypothermia, with no flare (I guess the water doused it?). I just stood there watching as two wolves advanced on me and finished me off.

Don't play angry. Every single time I have died in this game is due to my own impatience. Anger and patience do not mix. So don't play angry.

And yes, I apologized to my wife.

EDIT: Missed the best part. That last fire that I lit on the island? To dry my clothes and stave off hypothermia? It unlocked firetstarting mastery level 5. It was also the last fire I ever lit.

Edited by GorillaDust
  • Upvote 7

2 hours ago, GorillaDust said:

Don't play angry. Every single time I have died in this game is due to my own impatience. Anger and patience do not mix. So don't play angry.

Sounds like a life-lesson similar to one of the in-game quotes:

“Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

• Upvote 5

1 minute ago, Ruruwawa said:

@Pillock  OMG. I guess I'm a terrible person, because I roared with laughter at your post.   Sorry for your loss, but but.... :D 

I wouldn't have survived much longer anyway.

I wouldn't even mind very much if they changed the text from "You burned to death" to "You died of stupidity and clumsiness. Don't bother playing Interloper any more."

• Upvote 4

• 2 weeks later...

My stupidest death was when Pumpkin Pie shot a deer (badly) with a bow.  It ran off, with me in hot pursuit.  Then I hear a wolf! A Wolf!!! eating my deer.  Jumped the wolf, didn't see the other wolves.  So final score deer zero, human zero, wolves 2.  Bye, bye Pumpkin Pie, you were fun while you lasted.  

On 22.12.2016 at 8:16 PM, cekivi said:

If you're playing on PC you can hit ESC at any time (I don't know what the XBox equivalent is) to cancel any action. This should also apply to sleep. The next time you're sleeping try it.

You cannot cancel sleep with ESC. That´s the worst part of dieing while at sleep, you can´t do anything but watch your stats drop to zero^^

Edited by June

Do we all die in our sleeps or fall to death? I've only ever died once to a wolf. And that was fluffy. The little shit.

I've died once to food poisoning 42 days in.. Ate a can of peaches at 42%, got food poisoning, took meds, slept in the cave in the ravine at timber wolf, died in my sleep. Felt on top of the world.

First started playing died due to hypothermia, fell in water trying to walk out of the map, back in 2015. Was the map with the lighthouse.

I usually start out in pleasant valley, go to trapper's homestead, then go to the office hut, then hightail it over to the dam, make my way into the cave, to the control station, to the farmhouse, and camp there for a long time until I head to timberwolf mountain for the flare gun and MRE's. Then to the trainwreck in the ravine for the other flares. At this point I go on an all out bear hunt killing everything in my path. I also like to tear down all the furniture in the farmhouse, arrange everything into piles on the floor next to the bed upstairs. I have 2 month supply of water next to my bed, enough traps to last forever, a bow with enough arrows for wolfs. And beyond that i'm golden. 62f in doors. like 40 outside.

Anyone else play like this?

My first male character and first time in DP: wander into Sadie's home looking for food and shelter, meet Sadie and kill her with my bare hands (!) after dropping my hatchet. Loot the cave, heal up in a bedroll on top of a deer carcass. Left the cave, loaded up with loot and feeling like a boss, and started heading back toward Hibernia Processing when I'm attacked by a wolf. Fire the gun and miss, but manage to fend him off. Wake up, medicate myself, same wolf comes at me again, try to fire the (empty) gun, die.

That was frustrating, but the absolute stupidest would be the time when I was lost in a blizzard at low health, made a fire behind a rock and then stepped in the fire, destroying my clothes and ultimately freezing to death.

• Upvote 2

On 2017-02-05 at 3:45 PM, pigbull320 said:

Do we all die in our sleeps or fall to death? I've only ever died once to a wolf. And that was fluffy. The little shit.

Oh I've been killed by wolves but usually only when starting a Stalker/Interloper game or after a major map update when they've played around with the settings for the wolves. I've gone from fighting wolves deliberately for wolf meat to being puppy chow after the clothing defence properties were changed :S

any one else decided that a short cut down a mountain was jumping off? That's kinda how I died. 

It was dark and I said short cut, and jumped off the mountain. ( I can't remember what I was thinking) Sprained a leg and wrist, not so bad. Ok now just got to walk a little, oh another fall bigger. Man I can't see, a bit low on condition, hey wolf. About five to ten feet away. If I am going out, it's by flying. I jump the rest of the "short cut" down, into the long dark.

i think I might've improved my skill...

even more then my first bear kill. Near trappers house den don't care, I tried to figure out how snares work, and then go  find some fire wood. hey look a bear... LETS SHOOT IT, I hear the nose is an instakill. (Shoots shoulder) uhh... (Shoots other shoulder) ok well thi- (gets mauled.) (wakes up and heals wounds) ha ha ha now I can still shoot you, (shoots butt) gah no not again (shoots paw) it's dead better harvest the meat! Freezes to death.

I Think I might've improved more than that...

Edited by Robbie Rotten
  • Upvote 1

So, I was in Pleasant Valley, on Stalker. Was trying to make it to Mystery Lake, but a lovely snow storm hit me out of nowhere! Quickly was freezing to death, and couldn't see anything (barely see the road). So, I found a hollow tree and took shelter there. Quickly started a fire and piled tons of wood on it to warm me up faster. I then quickly drank and ate. But I'm sitting there, and while I was cooking some food, I noticed an oddity... my life was dropping! 2%.... 1%..... WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Apparently, I died of Exhaustion, and didn't notice it till the absolute very last second, but it was too late by then. Seriously. Middle of a snow storm, max Warmth, max Thirst Quenched, and max Hunger Sated, but I died of Exhaustion.

Yep. That happened.

Edited by Deathdealers747
  • Upvote 3