Stupidest way you have died

starfighter441

Not really a survival story as I died, but what a dozy way to do it.

Made it to the summit on TWM and was busy looting the tail section, and transporting it back to the other side to start bringing it down to the next level.  My energy stat was just into the tired section and I had the bright thought, " Mox Nixs, climbing down the rope doesn't require as much energy as climbing up.  So I grab the rope and start down, opps... red stamina line with an x, not good.  So I think ok, we'll just stop at the ledge and have a couple hours zizz. No problem.

Get off onto the ledge, and immediately hit the "S" key, walking backwards off the edge and thunder into the depths...

Pure Hubris and greed on my part.

• Upvote 13

Well, I didn't die, because I quit and reloaded at the last building I'd entered. However, I decided to explore the area of the ravine that required rope, because I found a mountaineering rope in the cave just right of the train tunnel. Worst idea ever. I wasn't fully energized to begin with and grabbing stuff from down there made it impossible to get back up.

• Upvote 2

Very first sandbox, don't beat me up for this

I had survived 36 days, was currently camping out in the dam. Was planning on visiting the camp office, so I went outside and subsequently got attacked by a wolf. Went back inside the dam and went to sleep for a while (not noticing the first aid warning in the bottomleft telling me to bandage my blood loss).

After waking up and righting that wrong, I somehow mistook raw meat for cooked meat and got food poisoning. Thought you had to rest to heal it, so I slept at least 4 hours before I realized you had to take antibiotics first. Ow.

Another rest. For whatever reason, at around 20% condition with night setting in I thought it'd be a good idea to go outside and get firewood. Two wolves show up, I try to run from them then notice I'm encumbered.

I turned around to see one of the wolves charging me. I shoot my rifle at him and miss.

• Upvote 8

Having moved everything to 2 buildings a small distance apart I made a fire to cook some meat right in front of one of the buildings. I accidently moved forward a bit and stepped into the fire. No harm done though, finished cooking, ate something, and got food poisoning. Went inside to get some stuff against it, noticed those were still in the other building, so went outside again. And stepped right into the fire that was immediately in front of the door. I didn't make it to the other building in time :D

• Upvote 14

• 3 weeks later...

I nearly had a dumb death today.  I started up my saved game for the first time since April.  I had left her sitting warm and cozy in the farmhouse, but hungry and thirsty.  I wanted to head outside, but first I quickly looked in my inventory and saw some tasty rabbit.  Munch, munch, step out the door.  Sometime later while walking across the field I noticed the little health meter in the corner, and I had forgotten what to do to check why that was happening.  I headed back to the house for warmth, sooo slowly, but even inside my health kept dropping.  I eventually found the first aid page where it told me to take antibiotics.  By now my health was under 50% and no sign of feeling better.  The idea of sleeping was worrying, since I had several previous game deaths in my sleep when things turned grim.  And for 10 hours?!  I dithered for a bit, but the health meter was ticking against me.  Finally I set the sleep time for 10 hours, and was horrified to see the health meter plummet fast while the screen started fading to black...   ...then I woke up, good as new.  :o  I had forgot to notice whether that rabbit was cooked - it just looked like another snack I was toting around in my pack.

The next day I went in search of the coastal highway.  I use The Long Dark to make up for missing out on seasons and normal winter weather here in the tropics.  It really works - I feel a chill sitting in front of the wintery screen, and so many memories of crisp winter days come up. :)

Edited by bkrownd
  • Upvote 1

I began an Interloper game recently, and was off to a really good start in Desolation Point. Managed to get to the mine near the Lighthouse, during a blizzard, found a fire striker inside and I had some time to kill so I chopped up some crates and built a nice fire near the entrance.

Storm settles down, I go outside in the direction of the lighthouse because I want to check for a nice coat which can be found there sporadically. Unfortunately I encounter a wolf which starts running at me, so I dart back into the mine... right into the fire.

I could have stepped off at that point, but with my clothes being ripped and me severly burned, I thought: "F*ck it, I'll might just as well get fully cooked."

Really don't like the idea that you can step into your fire by the way. It serves no purpose and it's just frustrating. An invisible wall would be more convenient.

• Upvote 3

OK, now I got a stupid death.  I was on the broken trestle bridge, looking over the edges to see the terrain.  I thought I was OK, but I changed the viewing angle while walking and fell right down the gap.  Splat!

I switched from friendly animal mode to voyageur for my next game, and had to re-learn fire-brandishing and fighting.  I spawned in Desolation Point for the first time so I could explore a new area, and I was losing ground daily.  Finally, starving from lack of food, I was forced to attempt to ward off a bear in my path with a flaming twig and the flame went out the very moment I started brandishing it.  Died.  I don't even know if flaming twigs can ward off bears, but I was probably going to die before i could find food anyhow.  The weather became worse the lower my resources got.

Edited by bkrownd
  • Upvote 2

I winged a wolf in the shoulder and it ran. Running became walking and I kept pace with it, tracking it, debating on whether or not I could afford to lose an extra bullet to put the poor creature out of its misery. A minute or two later, it turned around and absolutely obliterated me. I like to think that we died together in the snow, side by side.

• Upvote 11
  • Like 4

Latest Interloper run. I was on day 10, my best, I started in DP and explored almost all CH, a lot of materials. I was taking coal from the mine to PV, then going back to the abbandoned lookout overencumbered and at 50% health. It was the beginning of night. I was totally confortable. Just before turning to the lookout a wolf jump out of nowhere. I drop the decoy but it was too near. Killed on spot.

I was in shock! Totally unexpected, being overencumbered in interloper is incredibly dangerous.

• Upvote 3

Day 104 of The Hunted Challenge on TWM.  Blizzard frequency had increased since around Day 95, so I decided to do a wholesale clothing swap just before bed to get all good condition clothes.  Completely forgot to go into the inventory and actually put the clothes on, so I slept myself into the long dark.

I figured I had at least 100 days worth of supplies stocked up, so that was a big time bummer and just plain stupid.

• Upvote 4

• 2 weeks later...

I've done the whole "backing carefully over the edge of a precipice without remembering to take hold of the rope first" thing.

I sat in stunned, motionless silence just staring at the screen for about a minute and a half, unable to believe what I'd just done.

• Upvote 7

1 hour ago, Pillock said:

I've done the whole "backing carefully over the edge of a precipice without remembering to take hold of the rope first" thing.

I sat in stunned, motionless silence just staring at the screen for about a minute and a half, unable to believe what I'd just done.

I've almost done that twice. So far (knock on wood) I've always caught myself before I did it

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/16/2016 at 1:56 PM, cekivi said:

Ouch @starfighter441 :crosseye:

My worst was clipping through the trestle bridge in the ravine back when I first started playing. I was so terrified of it happening again that I used to crawl across the entire bridge!

Lol, you crawled that must have taken forever did you camp on the bridge by a fire, haha.  I went across the bridge for my first time today i was freaking scared to, i had 28 days so i had lots to lose.  I have never felt like that playing a game befor, 

• Upvote 2

Well I had no knowledge of bear dens and figured it was a dark a twisted transition zone cave, and i didn't want to go through it. but i needed warmth and sleep so i layed by sleepsack out on the bears front porch and lit a fire and sleep for an hour well i tried to. I was woke up with a bear attacking me, It freaked me out. i was left with 9% and the bear walked out in the snow I jumped up and ran in to the bear den and figured out i was in a bear den turned around and say the bear running in to finish me off. aaaa

• Upvote 3

17 hours ago, Riverotter said:

Lol, you crawled that must have taken forever did you camp on the bridge by a fire, haha.  I went across the bridge for my first time today i was freaking scared to, i had 28 days so i had lots to lose.  I have never felt like that playing a game befor, 

It would take a while ;)

Now I only crawl across the broken section. It seems that the clipping I encountered has long since been fixed.

• Upvote 2

I wanted to set up a funny/cool screenshot so I went to the ravine and at the part of the bridge where its only one rail I set up a fire and a bedroll, got the screenshot and decided to sleep while I was there. Woke up and walked backwards into the fire, started panicking and fell off the bridge. Atleast I got the picture.

305620_20161020212812_1.png

Edited by Potarus
Typo
  • Upvote 16
  • Like 2

Day 68 of my latest Interloper run!  Was feeling on top of the world!!  Just made it down from the summit of Timberwolf Mountain! Found 3 boxes of matches, a fire striker, and some other cool stuff.

I left about 16 hours of wood in the fishing hut by the mountaineers cabin, so I was doing everything right! I've got this difficulty level dialed in now!!

Rested a couple hours then spent the last 4 hours of darkness, and the rest of the day fishing!! My condition is about 60% but I'm not worried! I've got plenty of fish, lots of water.

All I've got to do is get a good nights sleep, get my condition up over 80 or 90, and I can head back down to Coastal Highway after a successful trip to Timberwolf Mountain!

I've got about 48 degrees clothing bonus warmth so I don't even have to bother making a fire in the mountaineers hut before I go to bed!  ..............WRONG!!!

It's a perfectly calm beautiful night so I select "8 HOURS" of sleep so I'll wake up fully rested!!

As soon as I hit sleep, a massive cold storm moves in and I helplessly watch myself go hypothermic then slip into the long dark in a matter of a second!!! ...................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

I sit there in front of my computer screen for what seemed like 5 minutes in utter disbelief of what had just happened!!

Are you kidding me????      68 days of struggles, challenges, and close calls................... and "THAT'S" HOW I DIE??? 

It's now been a week since I've played!

EDIT:

Of course my first thought was to blame the DEVS for my death!! .......  I'm too good a player to die like that!!  It can't be my fault!! It's those damn game developers who screwed up somehow, not me!!!

I've slept in the Mountaineers Hut several times all night without a fire with much less clothing bonus!! ................ Then it hit me!!

Those times I slept in the hut without a fire........ I was lucky there was no storm!! Had there been a storm, I would have died much sooner!!

It was not a matter of how the DEVS designed the game!  It was a matter of my luck running out!! I got too over confident! ......and got schooled!!

I'll start another run soon........ just need to lick my wounds for a bit!!   LOL

Edited by cowboymrh
  • Upvote 8

2 hours ago, cowboymrh said:

I've slept in the Mountaineers Hut several times all night without a fire with much less clothing bonus!! ................ 

Man, thanks for that warning! I´m on day 70 on Interloper, sleeping confident in the Mountaineer´s hut for over 10 days now. I won´t ever do this again without fire. Your death wasn´t in vain! ;P

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, June said:

Man, thanks for that warning! I´m on day 70 on Interloper, sleeping confident in the Mountaineer´s hut for over 10 days now. I won´t ever do this again without fire. Your death wasn´t in vain! ;P

That does make me feel better because it's a real "bummer" of a way to die!!

You think everything is going great, all is well, no worries, ....................then BAM!!!!!  It's like getting punched in the gut!

I wish I could have noticed how cold it actually got, but it all happened so fast!

I do wish there was a way you could wake up and start a fire when something like that happens so you at least have a fighting chance!

Edited by cowboymrh
  • Upvote 2

Someting similar happened to me on my 800+ days run on a stalker sandbox (to get back to topic): I hadn´t touched the game for months and came back to it, went to the plane wreck on the summit to get some supplies hauled down. Then I thought it was a brilliant idea to sleep 8 or 9 hours in the wreck itself with view onto the valley through the hole in its end. Only I forgot I was using a regular sleeping bag, not my bearskin type. The cold hit hard, 1 - 2 seconds and I froze to death and died after 800 days. And then you stare like 1 minute at the screen with your jaw down on the desk, realizing what went wrong. ^^ Never EVER feel safe in this game.

Edited by June
  • Upvote 5