Stupidest way you have died

starfighter441

• 3 weeks later...

-I was in Winding river, escaping from the old bear playing "desafios" (I have a spanish version of the game, so I think than in english version should be challenges) , I was very happy, my third game in this challenge and the bear even saw me.. well in winding river I saw a wolf, but this one was attacking a bunny so turn around a keep walking, that wolf was clever than me, he just aproach quietly without making a single noise, I don't know why but I turn around again and just start a fight, I haven't the knife, the only tool that I have was a pry bar that my character used against the wolf, I killed in the place but my life was about 25%, Anger, I decided to take of the wolf meat but I forgot to heal me first and without a knife It take a lot of time When I realized whats I have done was to late, press "escape" when my life was about 2%, I couldn't reach the emergency stim.. so bye bye mic...

-Another time, I fell off from the log in ravine.... wtf!

I think those were the worst stupid ways to die

b rgds

• Upvote 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 10/16/2016 at 3:56 PM, cekivi said:

Ouch @starfighter441 :crosseye:

My worst was clipping through the trestle bridge in the ravine back when I first started playing. I was so terrified of it happening again that I used to crawl across the entire bridge!

I did the EXACT same thing! I'm an old guy with little time to play, so I play on easy. I was some 15 days in on my first playthrough, and crossing the bridge, I clipped through and fell. I sort of saw where it *could* happen, but didn't think the coders at Hinterland would be so cruel lol, since it looked like a person would just be able to step over the gap, so I just went right on through and tumbled to my death. 

• 2 weeks later...

I fell off of the train bridge between Coastal Highway and Mystery Lake, but didn't die. Rather, I repelled down it slowly, and got stuck. Once I realized that this shouldn't have been possible, I deleted the save because I got a sprained ankle halfway down the fall. Whoops

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I killed a bear, the bear mauled me, but I manage to shot him in the butt, and ran away to sleep. This was on the road in front of hibernia factory in DP, so I decided to get inside the car, I'm all levels of cozy, with food, water, warmth and a smug happy feeling. I didn't have much condition left, it started to do a little bit of cold, so I decide to run back into the factory. Out of nowhere, in the corner of my eye, Shia Lawolf attacks me and kills me dead Q_Q

• Upvote 2

My longest interloper... I had crafted everything and explored all areas to finally arrive to the top of Timberwolf Mountain. Happy to have my goodies and being enthusiastic, I stupidly decided I wanted to climb as higher as possible, at night, before going to the cave. I actually got quite high until I suddenly fell and died. It was really stupid.

• Upvote 1

It's day 188...

I've made my third and final trip to the summit and I am carrying roughly 53 pounds and as I am heading back to the rope for my descent from the summit, that cave catches my eye.  Funny I haven't seen that before, regardless, I slowly make my way into the cave only to discover a corpse with a fair amount of loot; ammo, rifle, some food and a book on shooting!  Not wanting to leave anything behind, I gather it all up only to be so over encumbered that I cannot walk.  As I am looking through my inventory agonizing over what to drop, my boss calls me.  The call only takes about 12 minutes and all the while my character has been standing there in a high wind that turned into a raging snowstorm, chilling me down...  I get off the phone with my boss, Ouch, my vitals are going down and going down quick.  I know I have a ton of wood stacked at the bottom of the rope by the hollow tree, so I start dropping water and clothing items in order to lighten the load enough to move.  Finally I am walking but somehow in the snow storm I get my bearings mixed up and end up walking down a steep embankment onto a ledge and now can't go back up.  

Well, you would think that is it... but somehow I crouch down and start duck walking inch by inch traversing the cliff side until I make it all the way to the bottom. I suffered some falling damage and that dropped my health further but I am off the summit and the prospect of surviving still seems possible.  Still snowing, i see a few limbs scattered about, but by now I am down to 24 health and with every minute passing it drops more.  I manage to pick up a couple of sticks and chop up one limb, by now I am down to 9 health. I hit the adrenaline and bounce back up to 17, get the fire going, its a good three hour fire, I can see another limb, close by but not within range of the warmth of the fire i had just built.  I figured I could pop over there right quick and chop that limb, stay warm by chopping, but that didn't go over too well... the wind picked up while I was chopping chilling me even more, the adrenaline wore off, with my health now at 7 it was an agonizingly slow crawl trying to get back to my fire some 50 feet away, as the heart beats started sounding louder and the health meter dropped to 2, I sat in stunned silence as I slipped into the long dark.

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, piddy3825 said:

It's day 188...

I've made my third and final trip to the summit and I am carrying roughly 53 pounds and as I am heading back to the rope for my descent from the summit, that cave catches my eye.  Funny I haven't seen that before, regardless, I slowly make my way into the cave only to discover a corpse with a fair amount of loot; ammo, rifle, some food and a book on shooting!  Not wanting to leave anything behind, I gather it all up only to be so over encumbered that I cannot walk.  As I am looking through my inventory agonizing over what to drop, my boss calls me.  The call only takes about 12 minutes and all the while my character has been standing there in a high wind that turned into a raging snowstorm, chilling me down...  I get off the phone with my boss, Ouch, my vitals are going down and going down quick.  I know I have a ton of wood stacked at the bottom of the rope by the hollow tree, so I start dropping water and clothing items in order to lighten the load enough to move.  Finally I am walking but somehow in the snow storm I get my bearings mixed up and end up walking down a steep embankment onto a ledge and now can't go back up.  

Well, you would think that is it... but somehow I crouch down and start duck walking inch by inch traversing the cliff side until I make it all the way to the bottom. I suffered some falling damage and that dropped my health further but I am off the summit and the prospect of surviving still seems possible.  Still snowing, i see a few limbs scattered about, but by now I am down to 24 health and with every minute passing it drops more.  I manage to pick up a couple of sticks and chop up one limb, by now I am down to 9 health. I hit the adrenaline and bounce back up to 17, get the fire going, its a good three hour fire, I can see another limb, close by but not within range of the warmth of the fire i had just built.  I figured I could pop over there right quick and chop that limb, stay warm by chopping, but that didn't go over too well... the wind picked up while I was chopping chilling me even more, the adrenaline wore off, with my health now at 7 it was an agonizingly slow crawl trying to get back to my fire some 50 feet away, as the heart beats started sounding louder and the health meter dropped to 2, I sat in stunned silence as I slipped into the long dark.

Ouch! i'm sorry, man.

But take heart in the thought that each death in TLD teaches you something new: in this case, it teaches you that you should quit your job.

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, Pillock said:

Ouch! i'm sorry, man.

But take heart in the thought that each death in TLD teaches you something new: in this case, it teaches you that you should quit your job.

yeah, about that... I've got a great boss... what I left out of my story was that I was at my desk at the time...lol:o

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 2017-01-13 at 11:58 AM, GorillaDust said:

Let's just set down my bedroll and wait out the fog. ... GODDAMN it I forgot my bedroll again.

Oh man, I laughed! :D I forgot my bedroll a couple times and I'm real careful about that. I try to never go anywhere without giving the old backpack a once over first now. Once in a storm I made it to the barn but I'd left the bedroll at the Farmstead and didn't know then that you could use the radial dial inside of the truck to sleep or pass time, or maybe we couldn't back then, idk? So I just stood around the fire all night, in real time, till the storm subsided, lol. Melted and boiled a lot of water too since that also speeds up time some.

Edited by SnowWalker
  • Upvote 1

On 2016-10-16 at 3:56 PM, cekivi said:

Ouch @starfighter441 :crosseye:

My worst was clipping through the trestle bridge in the ravine back when I first started playing. I was so terrified of it happening again that I used to crawl across the entire bridge!

Me too. Way back when. It was one of my first longest runs. I'm still wary of it but never fell again. I've wondered if they've made that easier now or if I'm just ultra, super careful going across it now? :D

Edited by SnowWalker
  • Upvote 1

On 2016-12-21 at 11:37 AM, cowboymrh said:

I do wish there was a way you could wake up and start a fire when something like that happens so you at least have a fighting chance!

Way back in the beginning you would wake up at night if you were freezing and it would say 'You're too cold to sleep'. They changed that though which I think isn't very realistic. We had a camp that you couldn't get to by road and had no electricity. Just a big kitchen wood-stove like the one at the homestead and a pot belly wood-stove in the living area, oil lamps and an outhouse. You had to get there by train and then cross the lake to the camp. In the summer by boat and in the winter by snowshoe. Anyway, we'd go there in the winter sometimes to ice fish and stuff and you'd go to bed at night to a blazing fire going in the wood-stove and you'd darn well wake up when it was freezing again to stoke the fire, and then hop back into bed. I mean, you're going to wake up long, long, long before you're anywhere near to freezing to death, lol.

On ‎2017‎-‎05‎-‎17 at 10:44 AM, SnowWalker said:

Way back in the beginning you would wake up at night if you were freezing and it would say 'You're too cold to sleep'. They changed that though which I think isn't very realistic. We had a camp that you couldn't get to by road and had no electricity. Just a big kitchen wood-stove like the one at the homestead and a pot belly wood-stove in the living area, oil lamps and an outhouse. You had to get there by train and then cross the lake to the camp. In the summer by boat and in the winter by snowshoe. Anyway, we'd go there in the winter sometimes to ice fish and stuff and you'd go to bed at night to a blazing fire going in the wood-stove and you'd darn well wake up when it was freezing again to stoke the fire, and then hop back into bed. I mean, you're going to wake up long, long, long before you're anywhere near to freezing to death, lol.

If I remember correctly on Pilgrim and Voyager you should still wake up when you start freezing and losing condition. It's only Stalker and Interloper that doesn't give you that safety net. And yes, normally you'll wake up when you start freezing... but if you're already completely exhausted and starving you might not. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, cekivi said:

It's only Stalker and Interloper that doesn't give you that safety net.

You could be right. It's been a long time since I've played on Voyager. I have a long time 'Explorer' game going in Pilgrim but I haven't visited that one in ages.