Stupidest way you have died

starfighter441

burned to death by my Chiwawa Dooky, I was cooking some water in the cave to Mountain Town, I left my remote on the couch to go get some water for me, my dog saw the remote and catches the smell of my finger on it start licking it I guess it was tasting a bit like the burger I had for lunch ... he licked the stick enough to drag me into the campfire and I died... 

• Like 3

Guest Kane Parry

Falling of the side of the ravine on broken railroad as I thought the pathway went down there 

Survival, Pilgrim, Coastal Highway, kind of new but had been working this area for many days (don't remember exact number) and on a return trip to the Gas Station base I spot a Moose way back by that burned cabin. Well, I am not a great shot, and the aiming feature of this rifle are a pain at best...but I just have to try a shot. Could have bowled me over with a crow feather! I dropped (not sure if one or two shot) it! I was so surprised that I harvested the whole critter.... without paying any attention to what all that work cost my guy! Yep... I harvested myself to death. Dumb I know. Boy was I surprised twice that day. What a waste.
I have enjoyed all these comments.

• Upvote 2

My stupidest way was definitely when I died by fire. I've just made a torch and lit it, and, while holding it, I tried to brake some crates in the dam. To my big surprise, my guy must have dropped it while chopping the crate as only moments later I burned to death... on a torch. 

• Upvote 2
  • Like 4

Guest hoasd1

running in a fallen tree then fall in timberwolf mountain region.

another funny one is marking the map while the wolf moving around me many times like a fly or something black :D.

this was one of the first times playing the game and I was trying too hunt a bear I have pretty good stuff and one in there thinking I was going to kick its butt and then it shot at several times and it would not die it finally ended up attacking me twice and then a storm rolled in and I was barely little Health running out of firewood I tried to make it back to shelter and I died

• Upvote 2

Sorry late to the thread.

I died wandering around naked in a blizzard after botching what should have been a quick twitch stream to my buddy to show him the game. He wanted to see the bow in action so I dropped literally everything - including my clothes - and headed out - to ultimate death.

All on the ~90 day game I was playing exclusively with my kids. I felt terrible, especially the sheer negligence. This was our first full game together outside of quick-death starts.

After Custom Mode arrived I decided to create a Survival Run in which I only had a prybar, and flare gun, as a tool or weapon. Around day 70 I had gone through

all but a few regions, and while exiting Forlorn Muskeg and going into Broken Railroad, I died. This would not be the end though. After starting a new run, 

and  playing a couple days, with the game running in the background, I had a momentary power failure at my place which rebooted my computer. 

Upon restart, I started The Long Dark, and went to Resume my game, there I was standing by the bed, but not the same bed, and I realize that I am back

in my previous game I died in but a week earlier. I decided I would recover my ground and went back through Forlorn and Broken Railroad, all is well.

Finally around day 100 I decided to go to Desolation Point and forge, all went as planned and started back through Crumbling Hwy, well a wolf got me

and I shot him with the flare gun then knifed him and with about 15% condition I ran out to the car in Coastal, having just gone through a storm and

not wanting to cross the ice in fog I lit a fire by the car and got in, for some reason I selected 4 hours and hit sleep, but immediately the fire got

blown out and I was dead. I can't remember how many times I have done great until I go forge and then everything goes south

My stupidest death happened a couple of years ago... I'd just started a fresh run, (and while I was doing fairly well) I stupidly forgot to pay attention to the temperature and froze to death while harvesting a wolf for food. :D ...It was a well deserved death.

On 5/23/2019 at 3:00 PM, Boas said:

My stupidest way was definitely when I died by fire. I've just made a torch and lit it, and, while holding it, I tried to brake some crates in the dam. To my big surprise, my guy must have dropped it while chopping the crate as only moments later I burned to death... on a torch. 

I've walked over lit torches before no problem (I wanted to see if I'd get burnt).  Was it at night or nearly so?  I'm wondering if you were standing too close to some wires, an aurora started up while you were in accelerated time, and those live wires are what got you.

Unless maybe lit torches DO burn you now...I don't really want to find out.

1 hour ago, ajb1978 said:

I've walked over lit torches before no problem (I wanted to see if I'd get burnt).  Was it at night or nearly so?  I'm wondering if you were standing too close to some wires, an aurora started up while you were in accelerated time, and those live wires are what got you.

Unless maybe lit torches DO burn you now...I don't really want to find out.

That's probably my stupidest death.  A short ways into one of my very early starts, night fell as I was hunting around the part of the dam with the fire barrel chopping up crates to start a fire a cook the deer I had harvested just before coming in from the Winding River.  An Aurora came up and I was standing right over some of those live wires... for the longest time, I didn't even know what had killed me... if was just that quick.

A close second - I have also died answering the phone IRL... by accidentally moving the joystick on the controller and walking right of the tressel in the Ravine.  All I could say to myself was... "Pause the game first, dummy."

Many of these deaths are just honest mistakes and learning experiences.  They're only stupid if you keep doing it.

For example, a learning experience is harvesting an entire deer in an unfamiliar region, thinking that bear you see in the distance won't wander over and maul you the moment you finish.  An honest mistake is when upon picking yourself up you think "you know, I can probably get a headshot on him from here," then fail to do so and get mauled again.  Immediately taking a shot again, this time thinking "come on, he's gotta be nearly dead by now," that is stupidity in action.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Timberwolf Mountain - I spotted a bear going in the direction I decided to explore. Since it did not notice me, I easily outrun it. While looking for loot (that was not there, since I confused the area anyway :D) a wolf attacked me. The struggle resulted in me bleeding. I had no bandage and didn't know where to go to find shelter, so I decided to harvest a piece of clothing and make a bandage out of it. I had barely any health left when I finished, but I managed to patch myself up - just in time for the bear to arrive at my location :D I desperately started running around the tree to avoid the attack. Well  this tactic does not work, so I was mauled and had like one pixel of health when I died struggling to open radial health menu as fast as possible :) 

I find it silly whenever I'm anticipating one type of death incoming and end up with a different death. For example, I was lost and freezing in HRV. My health was in red. Due to this blurry, spinning vision my survivor walked off a cliff and died via fall, though, I had been anticipating death by cold. 😅

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

My new number one stupid death:

I was working on mapping 100% of Desolation Point (in an attempt to map every inch of Great Bear Island).  While I was trying to make my way up to a better vantage (so I could clear out some stubborn black spots on my map), I some how managed to "slip" and got stuck in the terrain between a boulder and a tree... my run ended with my survivor reenacting "127 Hours"... only with death at the end.

2 hours ago, Stone said:

Climbing a rope, stop at a ledge. Pause game. Return five minutes later. Assume I'm holding the rope that's right before me, press forwards to climb. Move forwards, then down, down, down....

Yes, AFK's can be deadly.  Recently answered the phone and forgot to pause... was dead when I got back to the game.

• 2 weeks later...

I am new to the game and I am crap at it. I die in the way that newbies die and I do it every couple of days. And this is on custom settings - Voyager-ish (some things a bit tougher, some things a little easier). So I'm properly  crap at it.

But a few weeks ago I had a lucky start with the lootables which gave me an advantage (couple of rifles and revolvers and a reasonable amount of ammo, the right books to get my skills up more quickly, plenty of whet stones and gun cleaning kits) so I ended up getting past the two to three day wall I'd always hit previously. Worked out how to snare the rabbits and shot a few deer. Even managed to bag a couple of wolves, though more by luck than judgement.

I got to the point where I could make the deer skin leggings and boots, then got a couple more wolves for a wolf coat. Moved out of Mountain Town and into Mystery Lake - and did pretty well. Got to the point where I stopped being terrified of wolves and would go out of my way to hunt them (ok, yes, the coward's way - look for deer, look for wolf in vicinity of deer, wait for wolf to kill deer, approach wolf from cover, wait until I can hear wolf growl, move to point where I have line of sight on wolf, crouch - and pop wolf. Two kills for the price of one). Before I know it I am on 80 plus days and moving to Coastal Highway.

Got myself well set up in the garage, even killed a bear, though again more by chance than planning.

By now I must have killed 20+ wolves and I have started getting a bit cocky - even if I don't actively hunt them, they will rarely stop me going where I want to go. I get jumped by one but mortally wound it in the struggle. I follow it and take the skin, guts and meat. But now there is another between me and home - and I have too much stuff and not enough light to go around it. So I plow straight ahead. The worst that can happen? I'll miss with the revolver but the wolf will take second prize in the struggle. Which is how it plays out. But I am still far from home and coming back this way tomorrow to collect the skin isn't in my plans. So I follow the second wolf and take the skin - even if I can only wear one wolf coat at a time, I still need to repair the things, right?

Cue a third wolf - one that I could have avoided, like the others, but they hold no fear for me now, so let's do this thing.......all the time forgetting that even if you win a wolf struggle it does affect condition/health - so I go into this one on something like 10%. You know the rest.....

Wells I'm not dead yet but it's only a matter of time.  My guy is in HRV by Moose Overlook. He just climbed down from the mysterious signal fire.  To make weight for the rope he dropped stuff that he didn't think he needed this included rose hips, 20 cloth.  While trying to find a way back up the other side he notices a moose grazing in the snow.  It doesn't see him.  He has the high ground above the moose lining up his head shot.  The arrow hits the moose but that only makes him angry. The moose charges beating him with his hooves. His ribs are broken.  He retreats to heal his wounds and take stock of his inventory.  His bear hide bed roll is ruined he has no cloth or painkillers to bandage his wounds.  He's trapped in this valley with no way to climb out.  Eventually his bow will break and he will no longer be able to hunt for food.the gear that he does have mocks him with no workbench to create any new items. With no bedroll he was forced  to sacrifice some of his clothes to be able to make a snow shelter to rest.  But maybe he can survive by throwing stones at rabbits.