November 2023 Dev Diary

Admin

3 hours ago, hozz1235 said:

It's great to see some fresh "buzz" going on here!  It really is nice to sense everyone's excitement and anticipation for Part 4.  Thank you for the dev update.

My initial thoughts:

1. I'm hoping the new gear/items will mostly be free-placed so us long-run players will have the same opportunities to find the items.
  2. As some others have expressed, I'm somewhat skeptical about the direction of the new zone.  Call me old-fashioned, but my favorite are still the traditional TLD zones.  I'm certainly going to give ZC it's fair shake, but I am seeing it as a BR (Blackrock) type of zone in which I loot it and don't return.
  3. Scurvy - just hope there is a renewable resource to deal with this.

Time to go make some "breakout session" posts. :)

I'm inclined to agree with your assessment and I think that maybe gear decay needs to be tweaked so that not everything is rotted and ruined by the time I finally get to find it.  As to scurvy, kinda looking forward to that as I recall there has been much discussion about the effects of an all-meat diet over the years on these forums.  I seem to recall a few threads that thoroughly hashed out all the possible remedies that a survivor could find on the island to combat scurvy so I'm definitely curious as to what resources Hinterland will actually use.

• Upvote 1

On 11/10/2023 at 6:01 PM, odium said:

Now we have zombie poison wolves and specific gear to only combat that?

Hahaha!

'Zombie wolves'...?

These aren't zombie wolves @odium, they're desperately hungry wolves that have gone slightly crazy due to the large amounts of toxic metals that have accumulated in there brain and blood stream.

Sorry @odium, you've already gotten a lot of hate for that comment, and you're opinion is respected, I just couldn't help but laugh when I saw 'Zombie Wolves'  😂

On 11/10/2023 at 4:38 PM, Admin said:

The Respirator relies on consumable Canisters to provide its protection, so keep an eye open for those as you explore the Far Territory. We’re also adding Chemical Boots, which can protect you from the toxic pools that pollute the Zone of Contamination (these pools are really hard on regular footwear!), and a Hardhat that offers strong physical protection against head damage. There’s also a Miner’s Coat and Miner’s Pants, which make up a whole set of protective gear, if you manage to find them all.

The mental imagery kind of reminded me of a webcomic I used to read:
51ODwlLzQUL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

Also a little bit of New Vegas:
fallout-new-vegas-(1).jpg?width=1200&height=1200&fit=bounds&quality=70&format=jpg&auto=webp

:coffee::fire::coffee:
Very much looking forward to seeing and trying on the new clothing/gear.

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

It just struck me: "There are poisoned wolfs which are vicious because of lack of food". Does it mean that one have to pack many, many lunches when entering mine, because there will be no deer, no rabbit, no nothing to shoot and eat for the player?

3 minutes ago, acada said:

It just struck me: "There are poisoned wolfs which are vicious because of lack of food". Does it mean that one have to pack many, many lunches when entering mine, because there will be no deer, no rabbit, no nothing to shoot and eat for the player?

I hope not,,but I don't think they'd expect us to drag food for miles  to last X amount of time..

2 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

I don't think they'd expect us to drag food for miles

I am not so sure with anything now. Currently is my character at the Airfield. It is there for 2 ingame weeks. I think I had 2 days of clear weather. I am in the mood to expect anything now.

1 minute ago, acada said:

I am not so sure with anything now. Currently is my character at the Airfield. It is there for 2 ingame weeks. I think I had 2 days of clear weather. I am in the mood to expect anything now.

There is a bit of uncertainty about the new area, I must admit to being concerned myself.. I've started a new side run  so I can take that one there first.. 

That's lousy luck ,and frustrating..I hope it gets better for you.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, acada said:

I dont expect any luck. Today I am packing my things and going to depot to try whether it is sustainable to live there.

I must admit that forsaken seems very harsh..my son had a run there and spent a lot more time indoors than out... if it wasn't blizzards then it was glimmer fog... he finally deleted the save .

• Upvote 1

On 11/11/2023 at 12:08 PM, odium said:

the game that i played in 2015 and fell in love with, the game that captivated millions of paying players allowing development to continue.  that game didnt have zombie wolves and imaginary fog.  i dont even recall aurora wolves being around that far back.  i will always play and love TLD but it has grown away from the core primitive survival game it began as, i dont see how you can dispute that

I am a far more recent player but I have to agree. There seems to be more focus on industrial landscapes, less on nature. I do not like the industrial sites myself--I avoid them as much as possible as I do not enjoy playing in them. Fortunately there is enough of nature left for me to enjoy playing in while avoiding the industrial landscapes.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 2

Thank you for making TLD even better. 

I absolutely love any additions which make the experience more challenging. Scurvy is awesome! 

I've been reading the thread and would like to say a few words.

I haven't visited any of the new regions added in TFTFT (although I'm planning to), and yet I have really enjoyed the new content.

My point is, nothing is forcing me to travel to the new regions (except curiousity), so I can't possibly complain about them. Knowing that those regions are out there is like an added bonus! 

I think everybody has a favorite region, somewhere they feel right at home. We use most of the other regions in order to find useful stuff or as means of travel. We can't love all the regions, we might even hate some of them (yes Mountain Town I'm talking about you🙃).

I understand some players' concerns though, as they're worried that the new stuff might change their favorite region's environment.

Speaking of favorite regions, how awesome is Ash Canyon? I mean seriously, I just wanna live there FOREVER.

Thanks again💙

• Like 1

On 11/17/2023 at 5:53 PM, acada said:

I think that will be the case there. You can hunt moose and bear in FA and haul it to the MIne via travois. 

On 11/17/2023 at 5:57 PM, Leeanda said:

I hope not,,but I don't think they'd expect us to drag food for miles  to last X amount of time..

I once dragged 200 pieces of coal from CH to FA on Interloper. Took me 3 trips back and forth going slooooow moooooode. im crazy like that sometimes xD

2 minutes ago, James Hickok said:

I think that will be the case there. You can hunt moose and bear in FA and haul it to the MIne via travois. 

I once dragged 200 pieces of coal from CH to FA on Interloper. Took me 3 trips back and forth going slooooow moooooode. im crazy like that sometimes xD

There is wood and sticks in forsaken isnt there?😊.      

I can't go into forsaken and there's very little wildlife in transfer pass...  

• Upvote 1

On 11/17/2023 at 6:43 PM, acada said:

I dont expect any luck. Today I am packing my things and going to depot to try whether it is sustainable to live there.

I dont think so - not enough food. (if you mean the train depot in the transition zone). 

On 11/17/2023 at 7:04 PM, Leeanda said:

I must admit that forsaken seems very harsh..my son had a run there and spent a lot more time indoors than out... if it wasn't blizzards then it was glimmer fog... he finally deleted the save .

The key of surviving in FA is to live in caves. And circle around them. I only use the hangar if i want to craft something. I only use the broken chopper if the moose spawn is there. If i stay in the cabin its the one in the centre (kinds) island on the lake. Rest i just loot and leave. 

You live in a cave and its surroundings, hunt and kill everything, eat some, leave half and go to another cave - repeat. If you stay in one spot you will run out of food. 

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, James Hickok said:

I dont think so - not enough food. (if you mean the train depot in the transition zone). 

The key of surviving in FA is to live in caves. And circle around them. I only use the hangar if i want to craft something. I only use the broken chopper if the moose spawn is there. If i stay in the cabin its the one in the centre (kinds) island on the lake. Rest i just loot and leave. 

You live in a cave and its surroundings, hunt and kill everything, eat some, leave half and go to another cave - repeat. If you stay in one spot you will run out of food. 

I know you have to move around to find resources but he gave up because he couldn't go anywhere for most of the time... at one point he was stuck inside for nearly a week because of the weather.. it's not a place where you can just roam around in when you can't see anything..

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

I know you have to move around to find resources but he gave up because he couldn't go anywhere for most of the time... at one point he was stuck inside for nearly a week because of the weather.. it's not a place where you can just roam around in when you can't see anything..

Yeah game can be like that sometimes. 

last week i was stuck in PV cave for a week - same reason. 

1 minute ago, James Hickok said:

Yeah game can be like that sometimes. 

last week i was stuck in PV cave for a week - same reason. 

Pv is definitely famous for its blizzards😁.  But on pilgrim it shouldn't be that bad in forsaken..

He doesn't play tld very often ,and cases like that are why he doesn't..  to be honest it's not fun for anyone if they're going to get stuck inside with nothing to do for days on end..

• Upvote 1