November 2023 Dev Diary

Admin

1 hour ago, stratvox said:

The glimmer fog is not something that is very much worth avoiding. It's effect is extremely minor; really it will only be dangerous if you're already down below 10% condition for other reasons. The visibility is the worst part about it; the actual effect on your survivor is very very minor, which is a good thing because it's very easy to find yourself in a location that will not permit you to get anywhere near shelter from it.

The biggest danger from glimmer fog is stumbling into a bear because you couldn't see it.

I don't have a problem with regular fog,it's the lights it causes..it gives me a blinding headache and stops me playing..

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

I don't have a problem with regular fog,it's the lights it causes..it gives me a blinding headache and stops me playing..

Hm, yeah, well, that's a problem. Don't know what you can do about that. I guess hope that Hinterland puts a setting to control it in the custom game settings.

• Upvote 1

Just now, stratvox said:

Hm, yeah, well, that's a problem. Don't know what you can do about that. I guess hope that Hinterland puts a setting to control it in the custom game settings.

I have asked them and they said they'll look into it...   I'm not the only one apparently so I hope they do add it to the accessibility options at least.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Leeanda said:

I have asked them and they said they'll look into it...   I'm not the only one apparently so I hope they do add it to the accessibility options at least.

They really should. Ideally to be replaced with a version that's accessible, not just removed as a mechanic - that's not equal access!

I'm hoping that they are looking into doing this and doing it well, and that the epilepsy warning wasn't the end of it.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, xanna said:

They really should. Ideally to be replaced with a version that's accessible, not just removed as a mechanic - that's not equal access!

I'm hoping that they are looking into doing this and doing it well, and that the epilepsy warning wasn't the end of it.

I suppose the problem is ,if they change the lighting effect will it still cause problems for players.or would it be better to just remove the light effects and not the fog...  

I have no idea about any of the workings so anything I guess is probably way off..  

I'll stick to pure weird guesswork😁

6 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

I suppose the problem is ,if they change the lighting effect will it still cause problems for players.or would it be better to just remove the light effects and not the fog...  

I have no idea about any of the workings so anything I guess is probably way off..  

I'll stick to pure weird guesswork😁

Yeah, there are actual design and gameplay decisions to be made that's for sure. But bad accessibility is a game-breaking bug that is also discriminatory, so it mandates all that thoughtful hard work under high priority.

1 minute ago, xanna said:

Yeah, there are actual design and gameplay decisions to be made that's for sure. But bad accessibility is a game-breaking bug that is also discriminatory, so it mandates all that thoughtful hard work under high priority.

They have stated that they want the game to be  accessible to everyone  so I'm sure they're doing what they can.. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, UpUpAway95 said:

I don't think wolves poisoned by mine tailings is sci-fi.  Seems to be like it's a believable consequence of irresponsible operating of a strip mine.

This is surely true, wildlife in such an area would be very badly affected by that. But them being exposed to environmental toxins wouldn't make them straight up venomous, as in, poison you upon contact. That is, at the very least, extremely far fetched.

Why not wolves with rabies instead? Same mechanic, much more immersive to me because it's much more believable. Plus it wouldn't have to be confined to one region in this ever more common "Hey look, this is the place with this one very specific gimmick" approach. Because I agree that it certainly wouldn't be beneficial if HL kept adding regions that are just the same over and over - I guess I would just like this game's universe to be closer to realism than the game wants to be. I'm not saying that's objectively bad or anything, it's just me who's disappointed that the game is now leaning into a different direction than I thought it would back when I got it.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, LostRealist said:

This is surely true, wildlife in such an area would be very badly affected by that. But them being exposed to environmental toxins wouldn't make them straight up venomous, as in, poison you upon contact. That is, at the very least, extremely far fetched.

Why not wolves with rabies instead? Same mechanic, much more immersive to me because it's much more believable. Plus it wouldn't have to be confined to one region in this ever more common "Hey look, this is the place with this one very specific gimmick" approach. Because I agree that it certainly wouldn't be beneficial if HL kept adding regions that are just the same over and over - I guess I would just like this game's universe to be closer to realism than the game wants to be. I'm not saying that's objectively bad or anything, it's just me who's disappointed that the game is now leaning into a different direction than I thought it would back when I got it.

I'm not really equating this to their being "venomous"; but rather that they carry toxic bacteria in their mouths that results in a sort of infection.  We already have a small infection risk from wolf bites and I'm thinking this might just be a elevated risk with a worse infection resulting.

Why not rabies?  Well, rabies requires a very specific series of shots (rabies immune globulin and rabies vaccines) that must be administered before there are any symptoms.  It's not the sort of medicine that Will or Astrid could whip up from ingredients found on the island.  Once there are symptoms, death is almost 100% certain.  To put it in the game and offer a "band-aid" cure for it would be science fiction, IMO.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, UpUpAway95 said:

It's not the sort of medicine that Will or Astrid could whip up from ingredients found on the island.  Once there are symptoms, death is almost 100% certain.  To put it in the game and offer a "band-aid" cure for it would be science fiction, IMO.

That's a fair point, but then again I'd argue that being able to 100% certainly cure almost any of the current afflictions in the game is technically quite a stretch. Gonna need a lot of lichen in real life to heal up a bear mauling...

But these are things that could reasonably be threats in this environment. Dysintery, infected wounds, food poisoning, parasites... a dog-bourne diseases like rabies, or others, for that matter, lines up better to me than getting instantly symptomatic toxic poisoning from a canine bite.

Again, I'm not saying it's "wrong" for the game to go that way or anything, not trying to fight anyone. Just arguing my reasoning for what I would have preferred. I see that the choices HL made appear to be quite popular as far as the kind of new content they introduce, so I wouldn't have any leg to stand on anyway.

• Upvote 3

45 minutes ago, LostRealist said:

That's a fair point, but then again I'd argue that being able to 100% certainly cure almost any of the current afflictions in the game is technically quite a stretch. Gonna need a lot of lichen in real life to heal up a bear mauling...

But these are things that could reasonably be threats in this environment. Dysintery, infected wounds, food poisoning, parasites... a dog-bourne diseases like rabies, or others, for that matter, lines up better to me than getting instantly symptomatic toxic poisoning from a canine bite.

Again, I'm not saying it's "wrong" for the game to go that way or anything, not trying to fight anyone. Just arguing my reasoning for what I would have preferred. I see that the choices HL made appear to be quite popular as far as the kind of new content they introduce, so I wouldn't have any leg to stand on anyway.

Well, I would prefer that they avoid suggesting that a disease like rabies can be cured with a "home remedy" lest someone think they can actually use something like that.

All the announcement says is that their bites can leave you with a new affliction that they've called the "poisoned affliction."  We don't yet know the mechanics of it.

Edited by UpUpAway95

We need more survival mechanics, not less. Those who are complaining about anything that ‘breaks’ the pure survival immersion in their minds seem to forget this game is survival only on the first 50 days, after that there’s no danger for survival unless you make yourself a bear’s meal on purpose or you decide to make a dangerous journey just for the sake of some adrenaline rush.

I’m all for poisonous wolves or anything else that make survival more of a challenge, but that is also tied to one region only. That’s why I loved the Scurvy affliction idea more than anything else in this update, as it gives more depth to survival mechanics. For me it doesnt make sense to complain about glimmer fog or poisonous wolves as nobody forces us to go to expansion regions. We can stay in pleasant valley and survive indefinitely, which is what I like doing myself but unfortunately it becomes boring with so little survival mechanics.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ludwig_II said:

We need more survival mechanics, not less. Those who are complaining about anything that ‘breaks’ the pure survival immersion in their minds seem to forget this game is survival only on the first 50 days, after that there’s no danger for survival unless you make yourself a bear’s meal on purpose or you decide to make a dangerous journey just for the sake of some adrenaline rush.

I’m all for poisonous wolves or anything else that make survival more of a challenge, but that is also tied to one region only. That’s why I loved the Scurvy affliction idea more than anything else in this update, as it gives more depth to survival mechanics. For me it doesnt make sense to complain about glimmer fog or poisonous wolves as nobody forces us to go to expansion regions. We can stay in pleasant valley and survive indefinitely, which is what I like doing myself but unfortunately it becomes boring with so little survival mechanics.

Im up for new mechanics and dangers as well. I really like the scurvy idea but after some thought i think its not going to be a big deal and its not going to be often. Hope im wrong. 

1 hour ago, Ludwig_II said:

I bought the dlc because A I wanted to support htl

And B.. Because of the new maps.. ..  

I don't think it's unreasonable to be upset that I can't go there.im not complaining either just a bit disappointed. it's no one's fault but I would still want to go even with new mechanics..   when you play one run for a long time then things will get rather samey..  a new place to explore would help more than new mechanics.

Edited by Leeanda
  • Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

I bought the dlc because A I wanted to support htl

And B.. Because of the new maps.. ..  

I don't think it's unreasonable to be upset that I can't go there.im not complaining either just a bit disappointed. it's no one's fault but I would still want to go even with new mechanics..   when you play one run for a long time then things will get rather samey..  a new place to explore would help more than new mechanics.

I'm sorry, my post was in no way directed at you at all. I also bought the expansion to support Hinterland. I'm happy with any new mechanics, but I don't care much about the new regions. And I'm in no way expecting others to have a similar expectation from the expansion of course.

I was just trying to state that if Hinterland made a design decision to go this 'mystical' way as some peeps call it, then I would like to support them with their design approach too. They are also very careful with these by making it avoidable. I would rather have more drastic changes to the base game survival mechanics too, without having to go to new regions.

And I don't consider poisonous wolves or glimmer fog out of character for The Long Dark world, as it already established its background into a post apocalyptic atmosphere with science fiction elements. Glimmer fog or poisonous wolves don't sound to me more improbable than the geomagnetic disaster that killed everyone but our character and also didn't touch the wildlife. And we accepted this purely because it came into the game first and we got used to it. Not because it's much more probable.

Edited by Ludwig_II
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Ludwig_II said:

I'm sorry, my post was in no way directed at you at all. I also bought the expansion to support Hinterland. I'm happy with any new mechanics, but I don't care much about the new regions. And I'm in no way expecting others to have a similar expectation from the expansion of course.

I was just trying to state that if Hinterland made a design decision to go this 'mystical' way as some peeps call it, then I would like to support them with their design approach too. They are also very careful with these by making it avoidable. I would rather have more drastic changes to the base game survival mechanics too, without having to go to new regions.

And I don't consider poisonous wolves or glimmer fog out of character for The Long Dark world, as it already established its background into a post apocalyptic atmosphere with science fiction elements. Glimmer fog or poisonous wolves don't sound to me more improbable than the geomagnetic disaster that killed everyone but our character and also didn't touch the wildlife. And we accepted this purely because it came into the game first and we got used to it. Not because it's much more probable.

No worries😊.   

I suppose there's always doubt  and concern when something new turns up..  I get that not everyone likes everything ,signal void is certainly split but until we get in there and try it we won't know how it's going to work out..  

There certainly are some things that we all can't explain and we make our own theories up to cope with it..😊

3 hours ago, James Hickok said:

Im up for new mechanics and dangers as well. I really like the scurvy idea but after some thought i think its not going to be a big deal and its not going to be often. Hope im wrong. 

I agree, once we know how to avoid/deal with it, it will just become ingrained in us, just like all the other afflictions.

2 hours ago, Leeanda said:

No worries😊.   

I suppose there's always doubt  and concern when something new turns up..  I get that not everyone likes everything ,signal void is certainly split but until we get in there and try it we won't know how it's going to work out..  

There certainly are some things that we all can't explain and we make our own theories up to cope with it..😊

I'm just hoping they spend some time and love updating the custom options so that they catch up to the new mechanics that have been added.  We really should have an option to turn off the glimmer fog (and change its frequency would be nice as well).  Hopefully, they will add an option for scurvy and for the poisoned affliction.  Overloading the game with innumerable parameters to remember is not always an enjoyable thing for some people.  There are all sorts of IRL challenges people face (as in disabilities).  The amount the devs allowed us to customize it is one of the biggest reasons I fell in love with this game, but it's a menu that's not been kept up very well recently.  Please HL, consider giving it some attention and love.

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, UpUpAway95 said:

I'm just hoping they spend some time and love updating the custom options so that they catch up to the new mechanics that have been added.  We really should have an option to turn off the glimmer fog (and change its frequency would be nice as well).  Hopefully, they will add an option for scurvy and for the poisoned affliction.  Overloading the game with innumerable parameters to remember is not always an enjoyable thing for some people.  There are all sorts of IRL challenges people face (as in disabilities).  The amount the devs allowed us to customize it is one of the biggest reasons I fell in love with this game, but it's a menu that's not been kept up very well recently.  Please HL, consider giving it some attention and love.

There's definitely an issue or two on custom settings...  I agree ,it does feel a bit out of date .

Maybe they'll add the birds and cougar to the settings at some point too.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the glimmer fog 

• Upvote 3

- Beachcombing ON/OFF

- Bunkers ON/OFF

- Indoor temperature changes ON/OFF

- Minimum Temperature range at end game X celcius

- Glimmer fog ON/OFF

- Tales ON/OFF

- Poison gas ON/OFF

- Scurvy ON/OFF

- Toxicity animal behaviour ON/OFF

- Aurora animal behaviour ON/OFF

- Aurora electricity effect ON/OFF

- Ptarmigan OFF/LOW/MEDIUM/HIGH/VERYHIGH

- Cougar OFF/LOW/MEDIUM/HIGH/ VERYHIGH

- Trader ON/OFF

- Healing repices ON/OFF

- Torch pulling from fires ON/OFF

- Minimum skill level for harvesting Deer (etc) 1/2/3/4/5

- Renewable coal spawns ON/OFF

Etc etc etc badly needed!

Edited by Mistral
  • Upvote 5
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mistral said:

- Beachcombing ON/OFF

- Bunkers ON/OFF

- Minimum Temperature range at end game X

- Glimmer fog ON/OFF

- Tales ON/OFF

- Poison gas ON/OFF

- Scurvy ON/OFF

- Ptarmigan LOW/MEDIUM/HIGH/VERYHIGH

- Cougar LOW/MEDIUM/HIGH/ VERYHIGH

- Trader ON/OFF

- Healing repices ON/OFF

- Minimum skill level for harvesting 1/2/3/4/5

Agree.  One thing though - I'd add an "off" setting to the cougar since it is anticipated it will be a predator and to keep it in line with the settings already there for other the other predators.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, UpUpAway95 said:

Agree.  One thing though - I'd add an "off" setting to the cougar since it is anticipated it will be a predator and to keep it in line with the settings already there for other the other predators.

Yes agree and modified the post for that and other things

Edited by Mistral
  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Honestly I'd like the ability to choose which animals are passive or not and that passive actually meant passive...   the bears just seems to be aggressive in every situation these days while everything else runs away still ..   

I know I'm a chicken with the bears but they are definitely bugged at the moment.. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Mistral said:

- Beachcombing ON/OFF

- Bunkers ON/OFF

- Minimum Temperature range at end game X celcius

- Glimmer fog ON/OFF

- Tales ON/OFF

- Poison gas ON/OFF

- Scurvy ON/OFF

- Ptarmigan OFF/LOW/MEDIUM/HIGH/VERYHIGH

- Cougar OFF/LOW/MEDIUM/HIGH/ VERYHIGH

- Trader ON/OFF

- Healing repices ON/OFF

- Minimum skill level for harvesting Deer (etc) 1/2/3/4/5

- Renewable coal spawns ON/OFF

This would basically be the "peace on earth" solution. Absolutely nobody could put forth a decent argument against this but still it seems for some reason to be unattainable.

• Like 1

Yes indeed. Some of these items can already be tweaked through mods thankfully, but the problem with mods is that they can get broken anytime there's update. Or they get broken when mixed up with other mods. Or they get abandoned. And they only work on PC

The other option (for some of these) is to pretend they don't exist, but that's not that fun either 

Edited by Mistral
  • Upvote 1