The Far Territory is our first attempt to expand the world of Great Bear Island with something entirely new. To get there, you must take a long and treacherous journey along abandoned railway lines, tunnel systems, and caverns, to get to the hub region that then connects to three other large regions.

I think broken railroad is the region that will connect to 'The hub' region, because it says abandones railway lines.

The bridge at the end of the region is broken and we can't (Currently) get far away traveling the broken railroad, i think some kind of new cave, shortcut or broken tree should let us pass to the other bridge section and then, start traveling to the new region of the far territory.

• Upvote 4

Speculating on more uses for harvest-ables. Mushrooms are definitely underused in the current game, reishi are likely too bitter for anything but tea or a tincture; but perhaps a new & more-palatable type will be introduced, harvested using a shovel (new tool?).

From watching the series "Alone", participants can usually forage some berries & small herbs/greens, even late in the winter & in the coldest areas.

More nuts/fruits/bark from the trees and roots like cattail & Queen Ann's lace that can be dug up & boiled, which could add to the ability to make soup/stews.

On that note -- bone broths?? (I make these all the time in RL - utilizes the parts normally "tossed out" and could go in the thermos)

Hopefully we will see some female deer in wandering herds, and perhaps birds like grouse or partridge, maybe ducks or geese? (as crows are probably not good for eating.)

Maybe some way to make or find flour (acorns, grains?) -- new canned goods or other long-lasting staples (salt, sugar, lard?)

Would love to see a long-term smoker or jerky rack that would be placed at your "home base" (perhaps allowing only one or two in the game?).

Just a few ideas 🤔

• Upvote 1

On 10/24/2022 at 2:35 AM, Glacia said:

I think broken railroad is the region that will connect to 'The hub' region, because it says abandones railway lines.

The bridge at the end of the region is broken and we can't (Currently) get far away traveling the broken railroad, i think some kind of new cave, shortcut or broken tree should let us pass to the other bridge section and then, start traveling to the new region of the far territory.

That's a good shout, there were some big mountains there last time I checked- pics below 🤨 I think from the description the new areas will be away from the coast, so the only other contender I can think of would be Black Rock (railway by the mine)?

I'm really intrigued as to how TFTFT will 'bolt on' to survival mode.  Will the exclusive gameplay systems only be available in the new regions, or throughout the island?  And if not, how will this be achieved?  I can imagine, that the journey to and from the 'main' part of the island may be a means of preventing you taking the travois, for example.  But how do you stop the player from cooking recipes in one region but not another.  I'm sure HL have it in hand, but can't get my head around it at the moment.

I'm also really hoping that the trader, visor notes* & tales add variety to the mid/ late stage of a survival run.  The resource refresh also stands to be a huge change for long term players- my guess is that the 'wildlife refresh' could be something along the lines of changing or even fully randomising spawn points?  Finally, could we end up with acorn coffee, or are we going to be able to leach them to make flour?! 

*I've started checking already!

20210504192504_1.jpg.2b57942ec64a767e393aaf749a64a8c1.jpg

20210504184647_1.jpg.ced8331c278187f8e7e564627f08783d.jpg

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, A Lamp said:

Well i do hope the handheld shortwave would allow us to access a weather forecast channel for GBI during an aurora/electrostatic fog.

Earlier on today, apparently, a woman rang the BBC and said she heard there was an electromagnetic storm on the way. Well, if you're watching, don't worry, there isn't!

(one for the older UK players 😉)

• Upvote 3
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, Valuable Hunting Knife said:

Earlier on today, apparently, a woman rang the BBC and said she heard there was an electromagnetic storm on the way. Well, if you're watching, don't worry, there isn't!

Yeah the BBC are really accurate with the weather forecasts!😁

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Valuable Hunting Knife said:

Michael Fish!! 😄😄

• Like 1

On 10/23/2022 at 9:35 PM, Glacia said:

That's a possibility.

However, there are other "blocked" roads / tunnels / tracks right now that could lead to a new connector / map.

E.g.

• Mountain Town - tunnel / road with convict bus
  • Mountain Town - road past HRV cave that is blocked at the end
  • Coastal Highway - tunnel with train tracks coming from Mystery Lake

All of these could be used to connect to a new region.

TBH, Broken Railroad already sits at the lower left corner of the map, extending it out seems a bit less likely than pushing North from MT or East from CH.

-t

• Upvote 1

On 10/23/2022 at 6:35 PM, Glacia said:

I dunno.

Something tells me that it will be North and contrary to popular belief MT is not North...Coastal Highway and onward to DP is actually North (Technically NE)...and BRR is as far South as you can get.

I hope you're right though.

The reason I think North is because it seem most logical to me that the more broken down rail lines would be to the North since the lands to the North were abandoned even longer ago than the territory we discover during the time of story mode.

Also FWIW the rails that we've seen thus far don't look nearly in as much disrepair as those in the image of the Hub that I've seen about. Yes they're broken...but not broken as if they've been smashed by angry trolls with giant rock clubs.

Edited by GeneralJConnor
Clarification
  • Upvote 1

On 10/25/2022 at 9:45 AM, Valuable Hunting Knife said:

That's a good shout, there were some big mountains there last time I checked- pics below 🤨 I think from the description the new areas will be away from the coast, so the only other contender I can think of would be Black Rock (railway by the mine)?

I'm really intrigued as to how TFTFT will 'bolt on' to survival mode.  Will the exclusive gameplay systems only be available in the new regions, or throughout the island?  And if not, how will this be achieved?  I can imagine, that the journey to and from the 'main' part of the island may be a means of preventing you taking the travois, for example.  But how do you stop the player from cooking recipes in one region but not another.  I'm sure HL have it in hand, but can't get my head around it at the moment.

I'm also really hoping that the trader, visor notes* & tales add variety to the mid/ late stage of a survival run.  The resource refresh also stands to be a huge change for long term players- my guess is that the 'wildlife refresh' could be something along the lines of changing or even fully randomising spawn points?  Finally, could we end up with acorn coffee, or are we going to be able to leach them to make flour?! 

*I've started checking already!

20210504192504_1.jpg.2b57942ec64a767e393aaf749a64a8c1.jpg

20210504184647_1.jpg.ced8331c278187f8e7e564627f08783d.jpg

I expect the majority of things like new cooking recepies, Burdock, Visor Notes, Travois and many others to be across all of the Regions (except for the ones that non-DLC users won't get) obviously.

I'd at a guess state that the Radio/Trader that I think are connected will only be available through the DLC.

Also I think the Travel Region that leads to the Hub region will be either off the opened rail tunnel in CH....or continuing up from the Broken Bridge in DP. See my other response for why.

• Upvote 1

The announcement also mentions visual improvements. Hopefully, that mean we can further increase the load-in distance. My PC (PC stands for Potato Crate) gives 60+ FPS on the max graphics settings, yet some objects disappear 10 meters away from me. 

I'd also like to see anti-aliasing added. I'm so tired of electric wires looking like dotted lines from afar... 

5 hours ago, GeneralJConnor said:

I dunno.

Something tells me that it will be North and contrary to popular belief MT is not North...Coastal Highway and onward to DP is actually North (Technically NE)...and BRR is as far South as you can get.

I hope you're right though.

The reason I think North is because it seem most logical to me that the more broken down rail lines would be to the North since the lands to the North were abandoned even longer ago than the territory we discover during the time of story mode.

Also FWIW the rails that we've seen thus far don't look nearly in as much disrepair as those in the image of the Hub that I've seen about. Yes they're broken...but not broken as if they've been smashed by angry trolls with giant rock clubs.

'image of the hub' ... *searches internet*

was it the one in this article?  I'd seen the shed/tunnel image when Raph shared it on twitter, but the outdoor rail tracks one is new to me, article seems legit:

The Long Dark - TALES FROM THE FAR TERRITORY (cgnent.com)

I'm just wondering if the travois will be pulled by a dog or a horse.  I mean, humans can pull these but traditionally, they was pulled by a horse or a dog so it just makes me wonder .... and yes, hope. And yes, I realize that this is probably not even a remote possibility because this game is what it is (and we all love the heck out of it)  but hey, a gal has to dream right?!!  Sharing the long dark days and nights in the quiet cold apocalypse would be nicer with a four footed friend!

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Arbor said:

Woah I hadn't seen that image 😮 it must have been part of a press release they sent out to news sites or something. I love the twisted new trees.

Yes it was part of the Press Kit that stumbled it's way onto one of the Many TLD discord servers, one I happened to be a member of.

I found it last week. The kit contained the Trailer, key art pieces, and the two screenshots.

• Upvote 1

The reason because im pretty sure BR is the region that should connect to the far territory isn't exactly because the railroad.

Perseverance Mills is located at the very north of desolation point (Using the current map orientation and knowledge), and this region it's likely something we are not gonna see until episode 5.  Simply, the far territory and perseverance mills can't be in the same place.

We know at the moment:

- The starting region  (The hub) have an abandoned railroad. 

- The far territory have abandoned mines. This means this place actually isn't hushed river valley 2, it's something like ash canyon but abandoned a lof of time ago than most regions.  

- A giant 'Mountain wall' is between the far territory and the rest of great bear island. This can have a lot of meanings because several regions in the game have places that can fit in this description (Ash canyon, blackrock, hushed river valley).

I think we should consider always:

The far territory actually isn't hushed river valley 2.

The railroad was an abandoned proyect in the great bear island golden days (Where the island become more industrial with mining, fishing and so on); the coastal highway blocked tunnel it's likely leading to desolation point or perseverance mills (Or another unknown region).

Broken railroad is a maintenance region for the railroad trains, this is incredible weird because BR and forlorn muskeg are not mining or resource-rich regions for industrial reasons (Mystery lake and coastal highway are the most important ones).  So.. ¿Why building a maintenance yard in a incredible remote place?.

The only answer:  There is something that was industrially important back in the great bear golden days in the unknown places that the railroad leads. Maybe is the 'far territory' or not, but presumably it is.

I also attached a map with my predictions 😎

2304644981_preview_WorldMap-Ev189-Color.png

1 hour ago, Glacia said:

The reason because im pretty sure BR is the region that should connect to the far territory isn't exactly because the railroad.

Perseverance Mills is located at the very north of desolation point (Using the current map orientation and knowledge), and this region it's likely something we are not gonna see until episode 5.  Simply, the far territory and perseverance mills can't be in the same place.

We know at the moment:

- The starting region  (The hub) have an abandoned railroad. 

- The far territory have abandoned mines. This means this place actually isn't hushed river valley 2, it's something like ash canyon but abandoned a lof of time ago than most regions.  

- A giant 'Mountain wall' is between the far territory and the rest of great bear island. This can have a lot of meanings because several regions in the game have places that can fit in this description (Ash canyon, blackrock, hushed river valley).

I think we should consider always:

The far territory actually isn't hushed river valley 2.

The railroad was an abandoned proyect in the great bear island golden days (Where the island become more industrial with mining, fishing and so on); the coastal highway blocked tunnel it's likely leading to desolation point or perseverance mills (Or another unknown region).

Broken railroad is a maintenance region for the railroad trains, this is incredible weird because BR and forlorn muskeg are not mining or resource-rich regions for industrial reasons (Mystery lake and coastal highway are the most important ones).  So.. ¿Why building a maintenance yard in a incredible remote place?.

The only answer:  There is something that was industrially important back in the great bear golden days in the unknown places that the railroad leads. Maybe is the 'far territory' or not, but presumably it is.

I also attached a map with my predictions 😎

2304644981_preview_WorldMap-Ev189-Color.png

I like your map!

I can see what you're saying...it certainly is a strong possibility.

But an argument can be made for  placing the Travel Zones and Hub Zone...and 3 new Regions to the North as well.

Edit thanks to Kai for making this version of his Great bear Island Map Specifically for a post on my blog about the upcoming DLC!

Possible Tales from the Far Territory Map.png

Edited by GeneralJConnor
To give Kai credit for his map!
  • Like 1

It's a really good map!

This makes a lot of sense really, because everything fits with the far territory concept; and also complement some regions concepts.

I always wonder how exactly the ash canyon mines works in the island because the isolation and lack of trains or vehicles. This map could explain this because the 'Travel zone 2' can have a railroad for industrial purposes. 

Also, the biggest mountains in the game are in AC/TWM/Blackrock, making a lot of sense for 'The Wall'.

Anyways, the continuation of broken railroad remains as a mystery. If the far territory is not near this region, then it's likely next DLC's could use the unknown territory far BR.

2 minutes ago, Glacia said:

It's a really good map!

This makes a lot of sense really, because everything fits with the far territory concept; and also complement some regions concepts.

I always wonder how exactly the ash canyon mines works in the island because the isolation and lack of trains or vehicles. This map could explain this because the 'Travel zone 2' can have a railroad for industrial purposes. 

Also, the biggest mountains in the game are in AC/TWM/Blackrock, making a lot of sense for 'The Wall'.

Anyways, the continuation of broken railroad remains as a mystery. If the far territory is not near this region, then it's likely next DLC's could use the unknown territory far BR.

Exactly, and a while back Raphael was stating that the Ravine in BRR was designed to be opened up later much like the Ravine between ML and CH was opened up to let us into the upper reaches of Bleak Inlet.

• Upvote 1

Exploring a bit the world, i find another possible initial point of traveling to the hub region.

The coastal highway blocked tunnel (If you draw a line) pass near the mines between CH and PV, and then continues to an unknown place but not Desolation Point if you follow the 'Line'.

If you travel the mines and reach PV, there is a road near (The one who leads to TWM and crashed plane).

Not far from the mines exit, there is an small detour to another road blocked due to an avalanche; the place is called End of the road. If we still follow the imaginary line of the coastal highway tunnels, this unavaliable road should connect to the railroad at certain point.

Also match with the map!

This can make some sense because we already have seen PV blocked roads changed due to new regions (Blackrock).

endoftheroad.png

3.png

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1