It is clear, that some of the Tales From The Far Territory features haven't been revealed yet. So do you have any guesses, as to what else that expansion holds?

Here's my guess, and it's a bold one.
Ziplines! Just think about it. First off, there is a bunch of new rocky regions, that we'll get to explore. Second, TFTFT have already addressed some old wishes like cooking, base customisation, sleds (the free survival update adds a thermos), and ziplines have been heavily suggested in the past. And third, I'm sure everyone noticed how much Hinterland like incorporating one-way "gates" into their level design, and a zipline can serve as one of such one-way shortcuts.

What do you think about this guess? And what else do you think is going to be added to the Tales From The Far Territory?

Edited by Ghurcb
  • Upvote 1

I'm not even going to try and guess. I am just hoping they soon flesh out exactly what they are changing/adding etc. Until then it's like throwing reishi mushrooms in the air and seeing where they land. Who knows 🤷‍♀️

Ps I really hope it's not ziplines. It would feel like a mishmash of TLD, Tomb Raider and Far Cry. But that's just my feelings, I know a lot of people liked the idea. Just doesn't fit for me.

Edited by Sgt Socks

3 minutes ago, Sgt Socks said:

Until then it's like throwing reishi mushrooms in the air and seeing where they land. Who knows 🤷‍♀️

That's the whole point! To see which one (if any) of us will make the better guesses. And even if none of us are right, those will be some good suggestions for future updates (hopefully, this expansion won't be the last one).

Edited by Ghurcb
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, APixelatedLemon said:

"Complex Recipes for Cooking" I'm guessing means you can combine foods, or find food ingredients to make new food. These more complex foods will not only be filling, but provides temporary bonuses, similar to how Breath Of The Wild cooking does it.

This I *do* hope is included. It would really add variety and allow the player to further tailor their buffs according to situation.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ghurcb said:

That's the whole point! To see which one (if any) of us will make the better guesses. And even if none of us are right, those will be some good suggestion for future updates (hopefully, this expansion won't be the last one).

Guess away Ghurcb, I didn't say you were wrong for doing so. Simply answering your question from my perspective.

Mining system.

An extremely expensive (fatigue and hunger wise) mechanism that would allow you to mine the required resources to make scrap metal (via forge) and gunpowder (either ammo crafting table or some kind of chemistry table.)

But honestly, not really a mechanism i would expect inside a game like TLD.

1 hour ago, APixelatedLemon said:

"Complex Recipes for Cooking" I'm guessing means you can combine foods, or find food ingredients to make new food. These more complex foods will not only be filling, but provides temporary bonuses, similar to how Breath Of The Wild cooking does it.

Now that I think about it, it would be really cool to have a food item that temporarily increases your carry capacity. But what dish would hold such a power?

1 hour ago, A Lamp said:

Mining system.

An extremely expensive (fatigue and hunger wise) mechanism that would allow you to mine the required resources to make scrap metal (via forge) and gunpowder (either ammo crafting table or some kind of chemistry table.)

But honestly, not really a mechanism i would expect inside a game like TLD.

It's an interesting idea, but I think it would not fit.

Mining is an extremely time and labor intensive activity. If implemented realistically, the calories needed would be prohibitive. If implemented too "cheaply" (e.g. spend one hour mining, and you get decent amounts of metal), it would not be realistic and break immersion.

-t

• Upvote 4

There are differences between the Dev Diary here, the info page on steam and the expansion site on the website. So it says more tools and i guess this will result in getting rid of a generic "toolbox" and introduce every single tool you can think of, like wood saw, nails, bolts and nuts, screwdrivers, tape... you name it. This will be necessary for the safehouse customisation i'm sure (building a drawer for more storage for exapmle).

What i'm guessing now is, that with the tools we might be able to upgrade some of our equipment. Like, sewing an extra pouch on our pants, or building a bow that lasts longer. Or maybe we can find an olympic bow and are able to change the arms for more shooting power. Or maybe the travois can be upgraded into a more sustainable one that can also carry more of the stuff?

New harvestables will come also. Acorns were mentioned already. I don't know which of these can be found in the deep winter, but: resin, hazelnuts, chestnuts, mushrooms (like reishi) i can imagine to find. And maybe we can harvest more from the animals, like the antlers which can than be used for the grip of a knife etc.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Leeanda said:

I was kind of hoping new animals would be added but they only mention a refresh.. 

In the past @Raphael van Lierop has mentioned that he wanted to add mountain lions; they are native to this part of the world, and could be a very cool predator addition to the game because of their fundamentally different approach to predation from wolves and bears. That said, I'd also like to see a refresh; I think there's a lot of scope to improve animal's AI, and I think it would be very very cool if regions were treated like ecosystems when it comes to animals and plants, so you'd have herds of deer moving around seeking grass with the wolves following them as they can, bears and moose strolling around and intimidating everyone, with the occasional mountain lion dropping out of a tree onto a deer (or you!) and bringing it down.

But we'll see; I'd imagine that adding a new animal is a pretty heavy lift wrt all the animation etc required.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, APixelatedLemon said:

I feel like eating rabbit soup for ten percent damage resistance would feel out of pace in the long dark. I also think that a food overhaul that made it like Project Zomboid (Food has certain nutritional content that if you get to low on certain nutrients you suffer de-buffs as well a weight system where each food and combination of food's cause you to gain a certain amount of weight. The heavier you are the slower you are, and you get hungry faster; the skinner you are the less you can carry, you deal less damage and have a lower max hunger.) would go against the game simplicity of the game. Maybe a few more layers than there are currently in the game would be fine, but I hope The Long Dark doesn't turn into Dietitian Simulator, like the before mentioned Project Zomboid.  

Forsaken Airfield - The other two regions sound like compact area's with lots of tunnels and sheer cliffs so, I am hoping that this region will be a massive open region will be a large open area similar to pleasant valley. With a landing strip and maybe a hanger as the central location. It looks like there will be a crashed helicopter somewhere around. The hanger sounds like a good place for the trader to be, but I am going to try and not think about him since I can't think of an implementation I don't hate.

Travois - This probably be an item for carrying large amounts of goods slowly across large distances when you're moving rather than increase in you carrying capacity in your day-to-day looting. You will probably be able to use it that way it will just be awkward enough that it's clear that that isn't what it's for. Maybe you will be able to use it as sled to go downhill quickly as well. Adding friction to the game this late into development sounds like it would lead to a buggy mess of an item.

New Item variants - This sounds to me more like adding more versions of existing tools rather than splitting the "Tools" into multiple items. for example, they could add an axe that is a heavy version of the hatchet that is heavy but, is fast and lasts longer. Maybe it could even only be usable in struggles if you have it equipped like a range weapon before the struggle but ends struggles verses wolves in a single good hit or a splitting axe that can remove stumps (Just a thought stump remover could remove stumps). I don't think stumps are terrain so it might be possible. Then again that would open up the "why can't we cut down trees" can of worms. I hope they don't add a bunch of new tools that are only meaningfully used in base building and crafting. One would be fine, but I would much rather see the Hammer and Tools improved upon.

Safe House customization - I really hope this isn't a location called Safe House that is the only place you can build preplaced upgrades implying that it is the intended place for you to make your main base. Somethings things that we might be able to build include drying racks (or smoker, or something else to dry meat), to go along with cooking additions. forge, and work bench (hopefully not though). A bed, perhaps like the feather ones found a few caves. A fire barrel/Upgraded fire pit with more than two cooking slots. That last idea would have to make sure that any upgrades would have to be expensive enough to make sure players can't build them every time they build a fire, and that the upgrades are small enough that players would rather use the existing fireplace or make the base fire pit worse. Perhaps if you build a fire with just a stick it is just a baby fire until you add more fuel or cooking is worse until you add stones to cook on. You might finally be able to close the window at the mountaineering hut.

Wildlife refresh - Bear spear? improved A.I? Collision with the player? Who knows what this means!

Burdock - In real life Burdock root is used as an anti-toxin so, in game it might be used to heal some new ailment.

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, stratvox said:

In the past @Raphael van Lierop has mentioned that he wanted to add mountain lions; they are native to this part of the world, and could be a very cool predator addition to the game because of their fundamentally different approach to predation from wolves and bears. That said, I'd also like to see a refresh; I think there's a lot of scope to improve animal's AI, and I think it would be very very cool if regions were treated like ecosystems when it comes to animals and plants, so you'd have herds of deer moving around seeking grass with the wolves following them as they can, bears and moose strolling around and intimidating everyone, with the occasional mountain lion dropping out of a tree onto a deer (or you!) and bringing it down.

But we'll see; I'd imagine that adding a new animal is a pretty heavy lift wrt all the animation etc required.

Looking at all the new stuff being added I would've thought a puma would've been easier to put in . But I'd still like one.😊

• Upvote 1

I hope the new food options include soup/stew, as that makes so much sense. Perhaps more teas, as well, such as pine needle tea, tons of Vit. C - could relate to new ailment: scurvy.

23 hours ago, RegentRelic said:

Adding friction to the game this late into development sounds like it would lead to a buggy mess of an item   

You know, I imagine they could just utilize the wind effect, how it slows you down. Just tag that effect to the travois, basically. Same end result: you move slower.

I hope they add mountain lions. They're very common here in BC. I live in a very rural area quite like in this game. Here's a pic from along my driveway. Can you see it?

9taql7.jpg

• Upvote 1

Just now, Kranium said:

I hope the new food options include soup/stew, as that makes so much sense. Perhaps more teas, as well, such as pine needle tea, tons of Vit. C - could relate to new ailment: scurvy.

You know, I imagine they could just utilize the wind effect, how it slows you down. Just tag that effect to the travois, basically. Same end result: you move slower.

I hope they add mountain lions. They're very common here in BC. I live in a very rural area quite like in this game. Here's a pic from along my driveway. Can you see it?

9taql7.jpg

Umm....where?😊

Yes conanjaguar, that's it. Was almost 5 feet long, not including the tail, when it walked away shortly after this shot.

Sneaky stalking bastards! That's the only time I've managed to snap a picture of one, despite having a dozen or so encounters here over the years.

BTW the most common name is "cougar", with "mountain lion" and "puma" also being very popular. IIRC it is one of the most many-named animals in the world... but it's all the same animal. The name used just depends on where you live, and their range is from the southern tip of South America all the way up to sightings in the Yukon...

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, Leeanda said:

Looking at all the new stuff being added I would've thought a puma would've been easier to put in . But I'd still like one.😊

Mountain lions are pumas; and pumas are also referred to as cougars. Regardless, they are members of the puma branch of felines. So that's basically what I said, except I called the species by what they're called in BC (and in Canada in general).

Just now, stratvox said:

Mountain lions are pumas; and pumas are also referred to as cougars. Regardless, they are members of the puma branch of felines. So that's basically what I said, except I called the species by what they're called in BC (and in Canada in general).

I usually mix between puma and cougar..not sure what the English naming of it  is I'm honest..   it is certainly lion in looks and I'm not sure I'd like one dropping onto my porch.