1 minute ago, conanjaguar said:

Why not? We have flammable oil, we have used soda cans, we have cloth, and we have matches. The only concern would be balance… even Lopers could have a dozen of these on hand if they got lucky with loot.

Very good points.   Finally a use for all those cans in Milton.

Smoke grenades perhaps? Only if the Forsaken Airfield has some military stuff.

Something that allow you to make a desperate escape from timberwolves or give you an advantage in hunting mooses and bears by confusing and reducing visibility. 

Might not be very efficient if there's alot of wind.

• Upvote 2

49 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

Chainsaws are probably a no go though😁

29 minutes ago, conanjaguar said:

Why not? We have flammable oil, we have used soda cans, we have cloth, and we have matches. The only concern would be balance… even Lopers could have a dozen of these on hand if they got lucky with loot.

Who needs balance. Can you imagine the fun with bears using chainsaws and molotovs?! 😁💥

OK so I don't really mean that. As much as I'd love to go into a bear battle in a tank it would rather break immersion and, as Conan says, balance.

We already have noisemakers?

I do think, as Leeanda says, that tools make sense if we are going to be able to customise a safehouse/safehouses. I don't see base building, indeed that wouldn't fit, but there's so much that could be done putting say one house per region back together. 

It also depends on the other overhauls in cooking/firestarting etc. It's going to be interesting to see how they do indeed tackle balance because one small change can have quite the chain reaction.

• Upvote 3

I do wonder how far it will go with tools.. nails hammers maybe? Or just something like a tarp to cover up the holes in the roof?   A more durable axe would make more sense . Oak is a tough wood. 

@GeneralJConnorforgive my ignorance (or stupidity). What do you mean in the game files?   I've heard that mentioned elsewhere .

Edited by Leeanda

13 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

I do wonder how far it will go with tools.. nails hammers maybe? Or just something like a tarp to cover up the holes in the roof?   A more durable axe would make more sense . Oak is a tough wood. 

@GeneralJConnorforgive my ignorance (or stupidity). What do you mean in the game files?   I've heard that mentioned elsewhere .

So deep within all the compressed game files are already a lot of things that haven't been used.

One thing is a Fireaxe...it is heavier and longer than the hatchet...but will probably chop faster.

Just now, GeneralJConnor said:

So deep within all the compressed game files are already a lot of things that haven't been used.

One thing is a Fireaxe...it is heavier and longer than the hatchet...but will probably chop faster.

Oh I see ,thanks...   I thought it mightve meant it had use in story mode but not available in survival.   

It's more of a wish than a guess but i do really hope the eletrostatic fog won't be exclusive to these 3 new regions. 

I know that with fog in it's name HL could potentially add a new weather type/event, but you can't be so sure honestly.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, A Lamp said:

It's more of a wish than a guess but i do really hope the eletrostatic fog won't be exclusive to these 3 new regions. 

I know that with fog in it's name HL could potentially add a new weather type/event, but you can't be so sure honestly.

All I can think about when I think of that is Will's beard sticking out like a porcupine.🙂

It'll be interesting to see what it does do though.

• Upvote 1

I hope very much that with the "wildlife reset" they also change the animals habits and mechanics entirely. Wolf movement can be controlled by adjusting the direction your character is currently looking, dropping a torch and aiming towards a wolf (even with stones) is 100% chance of scarring it away, bears can be stopped by campfires etc...

The wildlife reset is going to be applied later to the game, so i hope this time is associated with the impact and complexity of the changes

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, Karl Grylls said:

I hope very much that with the "wildlife reset" they also change the animals habits and mechanics entirely. Wolf movement can be controlled by adjusting the direction your character is currently looking, dropping a torch and aiming towards a wolf (even with stones) is 100% chance of scarring it away, bears can be stopped by campfires etc...

The wildlife reset is going to be applied later to the game, so i hope this time is associated with the impact and complexity of the changes

I totally agree with you Karl. It would befit a game of TLD's quality to have wildlife mechanics which don't allow easy "cheesing" or such guaranteed success. As much as I hate to say it knowing how terrifying the bear and wolf encounters are, but greater unpredictability would be better for immersion and challenge.

However I did want to comment on bears and fire...

Bears are not afraid of fire, as much as I wish they were! This I learned the hard way 😳

Edited by Sgt Socks
  • Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, Sgt Socks said:

Bears are not afraid of fire, as much as I wish they were! This I learned the hard way 😳

depends on the situation i would say then. I've seen 22atreyu22 on YT shooting the bear, running behind a campfire, bear stops in front of it, and he has all the time in the world to shoot him in the head.... i had expected the bear to trample over everything to kill his hunter, even a burning fire

Saw this tactic work for the first time (thought it was patched long ago), but Atreyu did it so confidently, that i believe it's the common standard tactic and therefor that it works every time

Edited by Karl Grylls
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Karl Grylls said:

depends on the situation i would say then. I've seen 22atreyu22 on YT shooting the bear, running behind a campfire, bear stops in front of it, and he has all the time in the world to shoot him in the head.... i had expected the bear to trample over everything to kill his hunter, even a burning fire

Saw this tactic work for the first time (thought it was patched long ago), but Atreyu did it so confidently, that i believe it's the common standard tactic and therefor that it works every time

Hmm. This is interesting Karl. Maybe it was such a long time ago I tried it, and it went so badly wrong I never did it again. Plus the YouTubers I've been watching all comment about bears not being afraid of fire.

It is of course possible that I made a complete mess of the process and deserved the mauling 🤷‍♀️😁

I'd be interested to know if anyone else has experience or knowledge one way or the other?

Edited by Sgt Socks

18 hours ago, Karl Grylls said:

I would be careful what you ask for :)  I remember when Timberwolves came out and how many people commenting (and still do) on how hard/frustrating they are.  There needs to be a balance that benefits the most player's style, IMO. 

If you know of an exploit to easily kill wolves, and you don't like it, don't use it!

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, xanna said:

I've successfully stopped bears in their tracks using campfires. I can't imagine torches work, though.

torches for wolves, campfires for bears ;)

11 minutes ago, hozz1235 said:

I would be careful what you ask for :)  I remember when Timberwolves came out and how many people commenting (and still do) on how hard/frustrating they are.  There needs to be a balance that benefits the most player's style, IMO. 

If you know of an exploit to easily kill wolves, and you don't like it, don't use it!

You certainly got a point. I find Timberwolves very annoying too, but i also find that i could kill them very easily (at least crouched with the rifle before they spotted me). I haven't tried Noisemakers yet.

I can imagine that HL gives us the opportunity to set different animal habbits in the options. While the exact mechanic isn't explained, but we can choose between "normal, hard, unforgiving". Something like that

• Upvote 1

On 11/3/2022 at 3:46 AM, Leeanda said:

I really hope the transition is not n  hrv!!  The thought of having to run around in there looking for  yet another cave might put me off buying the dlc completely...

So weird. I've got a guy in there, been there for about two months. He was in there for a few more months but had to come out about two months back (game time) because I was running low on arrows and needed the worktable at the trailer in MT to make more. He's in no imminent danger; the amount of meat, water, and firewood I have scattered at various caves around HRV is getting to the point of being epic.

One of the best regions period for long term survival.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, stratvox said:

So weird. I've got a guy in there, been there for about two months. He was in there for a few more months but had to come out about two months back (game time) because I was running low on arrows and needed the worktable at the trailer in MT to make more. He's in no imminent danger; the amount of meat, water, and firewood I have scattered at various caves around HRV is getting to the point of being epic.

I'm not saying it's bad for food etc..  i know it has plenty of resources.  I just don't like the landscape.  It's cluttered and claustrophobic.  That's one of the reasons I prefer pv,because it's so open .  

But if the transition is in there ,then I'll come and pay you a visit on the way through.. 🙂

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, stratvox said:

That's impressive! What mode are you playing?

3 hours ago, xanna said:

That's impressive! What mode are you playing?

It's a custom mode. From a Voyageur base, I turn on all afflictions (i.e. intestinal parasites are on), make blizzard frequency max, make cold max, make all the animals aware of you from very far away, max out how much scent you have when you're carrying things, turn bear, moose, deer, rabbits, and fish to max and wolves to min, turn wolf fear to max, make the wolf struggle really really bad for the player by turning it all the way up; basically, if you end up in a wolf struggle in the first few days you're in BIG BIG TROUBLE, and no matter when it happens in the game it's dangerous and really smokes out the clothing. Wolf fear is set to max so when the wolves become aware of you they have a much greater chance of fleeing, but won't always; basically, that's designed to make it as unpredictable as possible. Starting gear set to low, ummm.... I think that's about it? Oh, natural spawns (berries shrooms saplings etc) set to max. Idea is oriented towards long term survival, avoid wolves at almost all costs, bears and moose are harder to hunt and more dangerous, deer are harder because they scatter when you're quite a ways away from them. Sort of voyageurloper mode I guess. It's not hard to find the stuff you need, but it can be hard to acquire it when you're still at bow 1, so it's a race against time and the wolves to get ready for when the really cold weather comes in around day 50. Even with really nice clothing, it's rare that I can spend more than two or three hours outside on a nice sunny afternoon without needing to start a fire or find shelter to warm up... my current playthrough is about 800 days in.

5 hours ago, Leeanda said:

I'm not saying it's bad for food etc..  i know it has plenty of resources.  I just don't like the landscape.  It's cluttered and claustrophobic.  That's one of the reasons I prefer pv,because it's so open .  

But if the transition is in there ,then I'll come and pay you a visit on the way through.. 🙂

Once you get to know the place you'll find there are serious little corners of heaven in there.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, stratvox said:

Once you get to know the place you'll find there are serious little corners of heaven in there.

There's a prepper cache full of weapons in hrv?😁.  

I have been in there, I got the cartographer a few years ago... Couldn't get out fast enough and not for lack of trying.   I think I went past moose overlook several times😊

Edited by Leeanda
Auto correct is doing what it does best! Getting it wrong!
  • Upvote 1

Well, all I can say is that the hunting in there is incredible. It takes time, but eventually you find the good paths around the region, and where the animals are, and then getting around is easy as pie and surprisingly quick. Really it's all about getting across the Hushed River. Anyway, I'd seriously encourage you to get a survivor up to good skill levels and equipment/clothing and then take them in there with a bow and twenty five or so arrows. Oh, and there are good caves and bad caves. The good caves have bad views, and the bad caves have good views... plus there's valley cave, which if you're passing time in the valley below is basically your only option, is decent, and also has good views.

Seriously, HRV is awesome.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, stratvox said:

Well, all I can say is that the hunting in there is incredible. It takes time, but eventually you find the good paths around the region, and where the animals are, and then getting around is easy as pie and surprisingly quick. Really it's all about getting across the Hushed River. Anyway, I'd seriously encourage you to get a survivor up to good skill levels and equipment/clothing and then take them in there with a bow and twenty five or so arrows. Oh, and there are good caves and bad caves. The good caves have bad views, and the bad caves have good views... plus there's valley cave, which if you're passing time in the valley below is basically your only option, is decent, and also has good views.

Seriously, HRV is awesome.

I'm a pilgrim/custom player so the bow is my least used and worst skill.🙂.   Trying to find animals in any region is hard but in that terrain it'd be a nightmare..    it does have great views from the top of the cliffs..what I see of them before Astrid's demise anyway.😁 but I'm still loathe to go in there no matter what.. 

Sorry , we'll just have to agree to disagree.🙂