Announcing TALES FROM THE FAR TERRITORY

Admin

On 11/10/2022 at 12:31 AM, UpUpAway95 said:

Such a shovel wouldn't work digging in completely frozen ground.  

Perhaps the root will be found in some sort sheltered area, where the ground isn't as frozen? 

"It occurs along roadsides and ditch banks, and in pastures and waste areas. The plant generally prefers moist, nitrogen-rich soils, but will grow in a variety of soils."

Or, maybe we won't dig up the root at all, but instead find it preserved/dried in some way.

On 10/11/2022 at 8:31, UpUpAway95 said:

Tal pala no funcionaría cavando en suelo completamente congelado. 

I would like to know why you say that the shovel would not work on frozen ground, truckers working in northern canada use shovels when the trailer is buried in the ground, and in yakutia with temperatures up to 40 below zero they have no problems to use the shovel to clear paths and they even grow their own vegetables, so digging up roots with a shovel shouldn't be a problem.

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, GeneralJConnor said:

This reminds me of something on my wish list.

Digging our way back into bases after being away for extended periods.

Yeah, I think a way of modelling snowfall and the need to clear snow would be really cool, and could lend itself to some seriously interesting long term play effects... after all, if it never melts snow will only ever get deeper. 

I did some looking into this, and in particular about accurately modelling snow drifts. The math is very very hairy; most of the relevant work has been done in the pursuit of modelling sand dunes but the state of the art is not super stateful. The idea I had was to pick a basic number (say 1m) and use it to model the amount of snowfall and then use some of the dune math to figure out snowdrifts, but the thing is that terrain and wind speed and direction during snowfall are super relevant, and the complexity of the math goes up very very quickly... like exponentially quickly. I kind of suspect that Hinterland may have looked into this and realised that it's not really viable to try and model this; you could probably come up with something, but anyone who knows snow will immediately know that it's not even close to realistic.

While there are many unrealistic aspects to the game (for example, bears are MUCH MUCH better at climbing trees than humans are; shooting a bear from a fallen tree is asking to get snacked upon), the weather effects are absolutely spot on, and I think they figured they couldn't do it without blowing the suspension of disbelief that is absolutely required for this game, which I view as being a piece of (Canadian!) art as much as a survival game.

• Upvote 1

On 11/14/2022 at 3:45 PM, mayimbe said:

I would like to know why you say that the shovel would not work on frozen ground, truckers working in northern canada use shovels when the trailer is buried in the ground, and in yakutia with temperatures up to 40 below zero they have no problems to use the shovel to clear paths and they even grow their own vegetables, so digging up roots with a shovel shouldn't be a problem.

I would bet they are just using the shovel to dig out the snow that they are stuck in, not the ground itself.  Our growing season outside of a heated greenhouse in Alberta, Canada is basically limited to summer (planting of gardens traditionally occurs around the end of May - that is after the ground has thawed sufficient to enable digging with a shovel).  Large excavations use specialize equipment (frost ripper) in order to dig frozen ground in winter (in order to dig basements and foundations for homes and buildings in winter, for example). 

Edited by UpUpAway95
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, GeneralJConnor said:

and FAUNA

Now that it's obvious that Hinterland are going to add boars to the game, I'm wondering what they will be used for. Boar hides are tough, so they might be useful for protection. Boar hide gauntlets, maybe? Perhaps travois is made out of it? 

55 minutes ago, Ghurcb said:

Now that it's obvious that Hinterland are going to add boars to the game, I'm wondering what they will be used for. Boar hides are tough, so they might be useful for protection. Boar hide gauntlets, maybe? Perhaps travois is made out of it? 

I'm thinking we'll actually be meeting the Cougar myself. Raphael has been wanting to add a Cougar for a while.

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, GeneralJConnor said:

Will always be my vote.

But there's no hints anywhere about what it might be...so who knows where boars cam from.

At least we know Raphael has since way back in 2015 stated his hopefulness/plans to place Cougars in the game.

I think someone put them on the wish list about a year ago and it seemed a pretty popular idea.  But cougars or rumours of them have been here a lot longer so it'd be great to have them.  

Personally I'd like something like geese too .the challenge of hunting something that flies appeals to me a lot and as much as I like shooting those crows,(albeit pointlessly)I'd like at least a few pounds of meat off them.😊

Edited by Leeanda
Autocorrect has done it again!!!!
  • Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Arbor said:

Boars would be fun! Scary, but rewarding. And I think they'd fit that scenery well

They would not. They are not a fauna of that part of the world. Mountain lions/cougar/puma? Absolutely. Kermode and Grizzly bears? Yup (and the grizzlies'll make you mark your shorts). Woodland Caribou? I'd love a version of the game that ditched the deer and replaced them with caribou, which are native to that area. Boars? Nope, no boars up there. Sorry.

Edited by stratvox
tyop
  • Upvote 2

On 10/21/2022 at 12:21 AM, Hawk said:

What about folks that bought TLD at GoG. Will we have to buy the game again at Steam to get the release discount?

hi, I expect good news on that, gog had always the updates, so I cross my fingers :)

Edited by bascolais
completion

8 hours ago, Karl Grylls said:

Why is it "obvious" that boars are coming? What is the source that you are getting your information from?

Okay, maybe it's not all that obvious...

22 hours ago, GeneralJConnor said:

Cougar

20 hours ago, Leeanda said:

I'm hoping it's a cougar😊

8 hours ago, Leeanda said:

Cougars!!!!!😁

8 hours ago, GeneralJConnor said:

Cougars

And maybe I'm wrong. It's just that with the addition of acorns, boars seem like an obvious pick. And if Hinterland were to add mountain lions, I'd rather have them be stealthy hunters. Boars would be easier to implement in that regard. Also, I can see some obvious uses for boar hides (leather armor), while I'm not sure what special characteristics the clothes made of cougar could have.