Announcing TALES FROM THE FAR TERRITORY

Admin

1 hour ago, Bigfatcat999 said:

Only qualm on the game, Bucks, (male deer) lose their antlers in the winter.

In Story mode Will comments about not usually needing his parka "this early in the season", so it's implied it's still pretty early in winter.

Of course that logic falls through on 1000+ day survival runs...but meh. So does the lack of anything except winter.

16 hours ago, Bigfatcat999 said:

Only qualm on the game, Bucks, (male deer) lose their antlers in the winter. Theoretically, the male deer should look like does with no antlers just bigger. 

... and there are no does in TLD. 😀... except... maybe... in the new trailer (I'll have to view it again to check).

Yes... confirmed... the deer in the trailer has no rack.

Edited by UpUpAway95

2 hours ago, RossBondReturns said:

It's also different in the facial features and smaller overall.

Yes, I'm embarrassed to say it didn't really sink in until after I made the first part of my previous post.  It will be nice to see some does in the game... who knows, maybe they'll all be does this round.  Doubt they'll be any fawns though.

7 hours ago, Karl Grylls said:

crampons avoid ankle sprains now

But they already lower the chance of getting a sprain. I think, in this announcement by "avoid" Hinterland mean the same thing.

I do wonder, though, how will the improvised cramp-ons be inferior to the ones from Ash Canyon? Maybe, they would break faster? Or make you unable to run?

1 hour ago, Leeanda said:

It'd be nice if these 'leaks' happened on the forum rather than social media.   

It begs the question ,does that mean the regular crampons are no longer available? 

These are probably a DLC crampon variant, so the others are most likely still in the main game.  I suspect though, that like other loot that has been more randomized, they may no longer be found in such a reliably consistent location.

56 minutes ago, Ghurcb said:

But they already lower the chance of getting a sprain. I think, in this announcement by "avoid" Hinterland mean the same thing.

I do wonder, though, how will the improvised cramp-ons be inferior to the ones from Ash Canyon? Maybe, they would break faster? Or make you unable to run?

I don't think they necessarily have to be inferior.  The usual trend with DLC items in games is to make them "on par" with or even superior to the standard items in the game.  If the DLC items are all inferior to main game, what's the incentive to buy the DLC?

Edited by UpUpAway95

1 hour ago, UpUpAway95 said:

These are probably a DLC crampon variant, so the others are most likely still in the main game.  I suspect though, that like other loot that has been more randomized, they may no longer be found in such a reliably consistent location.

But they are gonna be added in one of the free survival updates, not the expansion pass. Frankly, I don't see the need for improvised cramp-ons, if devs wanted to add a way to lower your chances of getting a sprain, they could make it so that you (for example) can't get one when you're at <50% of your carry capacity. If improvised cramp-ons are gonna be as good as the normal ones, that would likely discourage people from exploring ash canyon.

31 minutes ago, Ghurcb said:

But they are gonna be added in one of the free survival updates, not the expansion pass. Frankly, I don't see the need for improvised cramp-ons, if devs wanted to add a way to lower your chances of getting a sprain, they could make it so that you (for example) can't get one when you're at <50% of your carry capacity. If improvised cramp-ons are gonna be as good as the normal ones, that would likely discourage people from exploring ash canyon.

I sort of believe the  regular crampons won't reliably be found in Ash Canyon anymore... with the loot tables being redone, all such guaranteed spawns could be changed as well... and not be guaranteed at all.  Personally, I relish the idea of such "luxury" items having only 1 instance in the game world and being encountered totally at random locations.  One run might put the crampons in ML, the next in HRV, and the next in Ash Canyon.  There would then be a "reason" to explore all areas of the map if such luxury items are desired by the player.  If their location was completely random, then finding them would always feel like Christmas.

They aren't necessary at all... one can survive forever without them and just use cloth and painkillers to manage sprains.

If you are correct and these crafted ones are part of the main game and not the DLC, then yeah, they are probably not suprerior and may be inferior in some way.  If made with scrap metal, then I would anticipate them being heavier (just like improvised knives and hatchets are heavier than their counterparts).  If made with tin cans, then they probably break really easily.  Still, I think they are probably part of this DLC's "new item variants."  We'll know for sure in a few days.

• Upvote 3

Just now, UpUpAway95 said:

I sort of believe the  regular crampons won't reliably be found in Ash Canyon anymore... with the loot tables being redone, all such guaranteed spawns could be changed as well... and not be guaranteed at all.  Personally, I relish the idea of such "luxury" items having only 1 instance in the game world and being encountered totally at random locations.  One run might put the crampons in ML, the next in HRV, and the next in Ash Canyon.  There would then be a "reason" to explore all areas of the map if such luxury items are desired by the player.  If their location was completely random, then finding them would always feel like Christmas.

They aren't necessary at all... one can survive forever without them and just use cloth and painkillers to manage sprains.

If you are correct and these crafted ones are part of the main game and not the DLC, then yeah, they are probably not suprerior and may be inferior in some way.  If made with scrap metal, then I would anticipate them being heavier (just like improvised knives and hatchets are heavier than their counterparts).  If made with tin cans, then they probably break really easily.  Still, I think they are probably part of this DLC's "new item variants."  We'll know for sure in a few days.

The crampons aren't really necessary but as a hoarder the backpack is!.☺️

I need that bag , especially on pilgrim.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

The crampons aren't really necessary but as a hoarder the backpack is!.☺️

I need that bag , especially on pilgrim.

Then you may have to explore more than bee-lining to Ash Canyon to find it... and in the meantime, you can still kill a moose anywhere on the map and make a satchel.

ETa: ... and if you buy the DLC, you'll have a travois, too.

ETA2: ... and if you activate the trader, you'll probably be able to buy at least one from him.... for a price. 😀

ETA3... which begs the question... What's the price?  We're sort of assuming that the price will be something we can get more than 1 of.  However, it could be that you have to sell your singular "luxury" finds (like your crampons) that you don't necessarily need to buy the "rare goods" from the trader that you want.

Edited by UpUpAway95
  • Upvote 1

Then you may have to explore more than bee-lining to Ash Canyon to find it... and in the meantime, you can still kill a moose anywhere on the map and make a satchel.

ETa: ... and if you buy the DLC, you'll have a travois, too.

ETA2: ... and if you activate the trader, you'll probably be able to buy at least one from him.... for a price. 😀

I always start in ash canyon anyway so I've got nothing to lose.  But if it's in hrv then it can stay there!  And I highly doubt I'll use the travois so ,rifle first ,moose second.  

Just now, Leeanda said:

I always start in ash canyon anyway so I've got nothing to lose.  But if it's in hrv then it can stay there!  And I highly doubt I'll use the travois so ,rifle first ,moose second.  

You know me... I usually do one-zone custom runs, so for me; the luxury stuff moving around a bit just means I might find it in whatever zone I choose as my one and only zone for that run as opposed to knowing that an Ash Canyon start is the only one that will give me the crampons and the backpack.

You know me... I usually do one-zone custom runs, so for me; the luxury stuff moving around a bit just means I might find it in whatever zone I choose as my one and only zone for that run as opposed to knowing that an Ash Canyon start is the only one that will give me the crampons and the backpack.

I don't know how you manage to stay in one zone,I can't go longer than 4-5 days without needing to move on.  I used to start in Desolation and that became too easy. You were guaranteed to find the rifle,revolver and bow in there,so I chose ash canyon as I didn't know it well and wanted to explore it properly. I really like it there now but once Ive scoured everywhere else I find it difficult to go back there. It feels like a long trek . The backpack and crampons are a great bonus but not the reason to start there.

6 hours ago, Ghurcb said:

yes, i might have been to optimistic with that.

i think the crafted ones won't have the same durability than the original crampons, so they will break faster

1 hour ago, Leeanda said:

I don't know how you manage to stay in one zone,I can't go longer than 4-5 days without needing to move on.  I used to start in Desolation and that became too easy. You were guaranteed to find the rifle,revolver and bow in there,so I chose ash canyon as I didn't know it well and wanted to explore it properly. I really like it there now but once Ive scoured everywhere else I find it difficult to go back there. It feels like a long trek . The backpack and crampons are a great bonus but not the reason to start there.

Disable the rifle and revolver, and DP becomes a different challenge... even with "pilgrim" loot.  Dial it up to low availability and spawn there such that the hammer isn't there either and you've got a different challenge yet again.  One-zone runs are all about making do without whatever the zone doesn't have in it on that run.  Randomizing things further is going to make them even more exciting - one can live in "hope" of finding what they need, but there may be (I hope) no guarantees. 

I do keep each run relatively short (30 to 50 days at most).  The smaller zones are my "quicker" runs and zones like Ash Canyon I stretch out longer.  I anticipate that managing the long climbs in AC potentially without ever availing oneself of crampons and the backpack is going to add a little bit to "challenge" of staying in that one zone only, but certainly won't make it impossible.  My least favorite one-zone is Bleak Inlet, since the spawn point inside that zone means one can never access the entire zone or the workshop.  I usually start those in ML and commit to leaving ML with only the means (i.e. a rope) to get to the upper portion of BI.

However, randomizing the loot will also potentially make exploring the entire world more chaotic (and fun) for me.

Of course, if one activates the trader (and depending on what's the price), it could change the nature of these runs such that they all play out even more the same than they currently do.

• Upvote 4

My first time in Hushed River Valley was when I spawned there in Escape The Dogwalker. 

*SOMEHOW* through dumb luck and determination I made it out to Milton with a minimum of trouble and to this day I have no idea how I pulled that off.

There is, apparently, something to be said for beginners' luck and not overthinking things.  :)

• Upvote 2