Announcing TALES FROM THE FAR TERRITORY

Admin

2 hours ago, Ghurcb said:

Okay, maybe it's not all that obvious...

And maybe I'm wrong. It's just that with the addition of acorns, boars seem like an obvious pick. And if Hinterland were to add mountain lions, I'd rather have them be stealthy hunters. Boars would be easier to implement in that regard. Also, I can see some obvious uses for boar hides (leather armor), while I'm not sure what special characteristics the clothes made of cougar could have.

I got an idea for what the cougars use could be. So you kill the cougar and it should yield the hide, meat, cougar fang, and cougar claw. You can use the cougar fang as a material to make this makeshift necklace that can work as an accessory giving some kind of benefit. For Ex: +10% Stealth against Predators making them harder at detecting you or move +5% faster while crouching.

3 hours ago, Ghurcb said:

Okay, maybe it's not all that obvious...

And maybe I'm wrong. It's just that with the addition of acorns, boars seem like an obvious pick. And if Hinterland were to add mountain lions, I'd rather have them be stealthy hunters. Boars would be easier to implement in that regard. Also, I can see some obvious uses for boar hides (leather armor), while I'm not sure what special characteristics the clothes made of cougar could have.

Oh Raphael plans to have his Cougars be stealthy Hunters.

As for what benefits the clothing would have. That's up to Hinterland...but I wouldn't at all be surprised if the were lightweight but still tough...and helped in your own stealth/hunting game play.

Also, would totally laugh if it was like a Wolverine instead and we're all wrong.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Grey0blivion said:

You can use the cougar fang as a material to make this makeshift necklace that can work as an accessory giving some kind of benefit. For Ex: +10% Stealth against Predators making them harder at detecting you or move +5% faster while crouching.

Sorry to say, I don't like this idea. The benefits we get from other clothing is all pretty plausible for our realistic-but-simplified universe (aurorae notwithstanding), but this has more of a feel of a magic amulet or artefact from a fantasy game. There's no connection between wearing a necklace and becoming more agile or more stealthy. The most special effect we get from clothing right now is scaring wildlife, and I have no idea how 'real' that is, but at least I can draw a line from wearing a wolf's murdered head on my belly and unsettling the wolves around me.

I do like the idea of getting animal products other than guts and hides, though.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Karl Grylls said:

Why is it "obvious" that boars are coming? What is the source that you are getting your information from?

hello. A theory was born in the community.

When the text of the announcement was published on steam. There were two items listed. Burdock and acorns. Subsequently, the text was edited and only burdock was left.

Then another announcement appeared on Twitter.. There was one similar one visible in the screenshot. experimental drawing. Some saw him as a wild boar..

1.jpg.b0920cca03b4a927691e521c591b54b9.jpg

3 hours ago, stratvox said:

Boars are simply not a thing in the region, neither on Vancouver Island, in the BC Interior, or on the Haida Gwaii. 

No boars! /EdnaMode

Yeah, and the northern lights don't drive animals crazy. Brown bears sleep all long winter in a den. etc. The game is straight about realism.)

But seriously. I'm not an expert, but I found this article. Here is the quote:

"Wild pigs can adapt to almost any climate, from North Africa to Russia and Canada, and currently have the widest distribution among all large mammals on earth. They thrive in the USA and Australia and have been documented in the Galapagos Islands. They cost the US agriculture more than a billion US dollars a year."

https://agbio.usask.ca/news/2019/05/wild-pigs-invade-canadian-provincesan-emerging-crisis-for-agriculture-and-the-environment.php

No offense. But how much can you eat one venison :))) The soul requires bacon!)))

1 hour ago, k0s0ff said:

Then another announcement appeared on Twitter.. There was one similar one visible in the screenshot. experimental drawing. Some saw him as a wild boar..

I have nothing against speculation. I even did it myself and are still doing it. But I get sceptical when i hear "XY is safe" without any hint. The picture to me is clearly a wolf, but others see different things, that's ok.

Regarding a new Fauna (fan theory, speculation so don't take it too serious): I think a new animal would be a cougar, because it was on the roadmap years ago when Hinterland had it on their website. So the idea of a cougar was on Raphael's mind and because he is/was the main director of this project i think they are about to implement that.

Another theory of mine regarding the wildlife reset: Right now we have on every map one moose, at least one bear, some rabbits and many wolves. I can imagine that animals are getting more rare. So in order to get a bear hide we have to travel to certain regions to get one because only there a bear can be found. You _have_ to travel in order to get everything you want.

//edit: i found the original roadmap from 2016(?). If you read the text first and notice the date it was posted, it feels ironic. Some of the things have already made it to the game. And still, there are some interesting things there that have not made it to the game (yet)

https://www.dualshockers.com/hinterland-sets-a-long-term-roadmap-for-the-long-dark-support/

This roadmap was deleted after some time from HL's mainpage. Later they claimed suddenly that this was only a list of things that _could_ make it to the game at some time, not what will be in the game for 100%. However the text in the link gives a concrete time frame and to my memory this is 1:1 copy and paste from the Hinterland page, which is contrary to the claim that has been made later

Edited by Karl Grylls
  • Like 1

Survivors, here are some of the teaser images from our recent posts on our social accounts. Please don't forget to Wishlist TALES FROM THE FAR TERRITORY on Steam or EGS. We'll have more information (including a Roadmap and launch date) to share very soon. 

tftft-wishlist-handheld-fb-tw.thumb.png.4f24f7ebff8b3dc18401ca21d6b03a93.png

Handheld Shortwave

tftft-wishlist-oak-fb-tw.thumb.png.212d25d86100a07c6bc15d2205c9ac0a.png

Oak Trees

tftft-wishlist-burdock-fb-tw.thumb.png.d8e0e2097e259257cf46aeb68fa813e2.png

Burdock Root

tftft-wishlist-post-1-airfield-fb-tw-1.thumb.png.4fe7e0c3f2be28cad559acdc5b2e524b.png

Forsaken Airfield

tftft-wishlist-rails-fb-tw.thumb.png.cef552dcc8e34a81f3813b0e34e35b3f.png

Remote Railway Lines

Thank you for your support! 

• Upvote 5
  • Like 6

7 hours ago, k0s0ff said:

When the text of the announcement was published on steam. There were two items listed. Burdock and acorns. Subsequently, the text was edited and only burdock was left.

1.jpg.b0920cca03b4a927691e521c591b54b9.jpg

Yeah, and the northern lights don't drive animals crazy. Brown bears sleep all long winter in a den. etc. The game is straight about realism.)

But seriously. I'm not an expert, but I found this article. Here is the quote:

"Wild pigs can adapt to almost any climate, from North Africa to Russia and Canada, and currently have the widest distribution among all large mammals on earth. They thrive in the USA and Australia and have been documented in the Galapagos Islands. They cost the US agriculture more than a billion US dollars a year."

https://agbio.usask.ca/news/2019/05/wild-pigs-invade-canadian-provincesan-emerging-crisis-for-agriculture-and-the-environment.php

No offense. But how much can you eat one venison :))) The soul requires bacon!)))

Interesting...I saw that animal as another wolf....and equated it with the wolves in the screenshot.

That said...there's no reason to think we'll just be getting one new animal in the DLC...why not both?

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

New teaser image just dropped. This time from Steam.

83be856b2ce3c59735f08e36f2292aaed385e223.png

This is an example of "item variants". I suspected that could mean different skins for your tools. Feels nice to be proven right.

This is Vaughn's Rifle, so I guess all of the item variants would have some story behind them (like how in predux there were Jeremiah's knife and rifle).

Edited by Ghurcb
  • Upvote 3
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Ghurcb said:

This is an example of "item variants". I suspected that could mean different skins for your tools. Feels nice to be proven right.

This is Vaughn's Rifle, so I guess all of the item variants would have some story behind them (like how in predux there were Jeremiah's knife and rifle).

Where on steam exactly...I'm looking all over for it.

Also it looks awesome!

Just found it.

Edited by RossBondReturns
Just found it.
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Ghurcb said:

DISCLAIMER: I'm by no means a firearms expert/enthusiast.  

Great spot Ghurcb, thanks for sharing :)

That does look like it could be based on the Enfield carbine variant, or dare I say it, the sniper rifle (scope removed).

Have we had any news on whether the reskinned items will have different characteristics to the vanilla versions?  I think I speculated (incorrectly) when some teaser art for Blackrock came out, that the rifle on Will sitting by the campfire looked slightly shortened, and could be a carbine looted from the prison with lower weight, perhaps range/accuracy penalties.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, hozz1235 said:

Good to see you online again @RossBondReturns.  Haven't seen you around for a while!

It was a long process. I always had things set up to keep me signed in...and then one day I came back...and weeelllllll no bueno.

So after much Hinterland Twittering...I started a new account...and just the other day they merged me back into my old account.

It feels much better.

But I've always been around reading...so I've not missed much.

Edited by RossBondReturns
Further clarifacation.
  • Upvote 2