Anyone misses the good old Paper UI of TLD?

Mentatt76

These disapeared before I started playing TLD.  This is the first time I have seen them.  They look great.

HTL must have had a reason for changing them.  I wonder what it was.  Does the current format give more information.

I hesitate from being too enthusiastic as the inetface might be complex and a hassle to use.

• Upvote 1

Steam users can download the old versions if they want to play them instead, they are unsupported and can be hard to make work.

But I do not believe they are ever going to actively support separate versions of the game.

Edited by Funguy
Hinterland is sensitive about dicussions of their game having existed differently in the past

2 hours ago, Funguy said:

Steam users can download the old versions if they want to play them instead, they are unsupported and can be hard to make work.

But I do not believe they are ever going to actively support separate versions of the game.

Well neither I nor any other player would go for an older version of the game for the sake of another UI.  There are so many game mechanics change since then it simply wouldn't be practical. 

Besides I suggested not a separate versions of game, what I was referring is to make an "add-on" which would only change the ui of the game. I think it is easily doable. 

Hi,

thank You for showing the images. I did start the game with a version, that already had the current design.

For me the paper book design is way superior to the current status screens. If in any way possible, I would appreciate the option to activate it.

• Upvote 2

I liked it for skills and logs but, hated it for inventory and condition. Defiantly preferer the new one. These days, after playing Mismata I'm scared for life about the old inventory. Mismata looks similar and was so bad it it still gives me nightmares.

2 hours ago, Mistral said:

It looked way better, but was also way less convenient as  functioning UI. So it's fine as it is.

A lot of people say that but as an OP I was referring to its looks rather than its functionality. 

Devs can perfectly implement paper ui with functional new radial menu and all together. 

• Upvote 2

On 7/28/2021 at 11:27 PM, Admin said:

As noted you can play previous versions of The Long Dark if you're a Steam player: https://www.thelongdark.com/time-capsule/

Thanks but playing an earlier verson wouldnt be practical when considering so many improvements are made on game mechanics.  I would love to see the old paper UI on the newest version of the game though. 

I loved the old UI style, it had quite a lot more personality, though it lacked in usability compared to the modern one. Same thing about the central HUD, the one that replaced the four bars, loved that thing but the current UI is better. 

What I feel was truly a downgrade was the change in some book covers, the Frozen Angler for example had an amazing cover art and it was simplified along the way. The frontier shooting guide also had an amazing art with the hunter carrying a rifle on his shoulder. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Dan_ said:

I loved the old UI style, it had quite a lot more personality, though it lacked in usability compared to the modern one. Same thing about the central HUD, the one that replaced the four bars, loved that thing but the current UI is better. 

What I feel was truly a downgrade was the change in some book covers, the Frozen Angler for example had an amazing cover art and it was simplified along the way. The frontier shooting guide also had an amazing art with the hunter carrying a rifle on his shoulder. 

I would love to have seen those books. Not on PC myself so not possible.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...