The "Did you know?" thread

SirSharper

Moose satchels do not stack, You can only use one at a time. Now my cloak has to wait until I find another moose.

If crafting outside (e.g. mountain town, paradise meadows farm), use only small time increments. If the weather changes, You will not break Your work for a mere frostbite. Got x3 frostbite in a single run... 

Oh, and frostbite constitution loss being permanent means "p e r m a n e n t".

It took me a while to understand the crafting time indicator. Keep Your work piece (low weight of about 0.6kg, not equippable) and the necessacry materials in Your inventory and You can continue Your work on any workbench by spending more time.

Edited by mfuegemann

With the fix to accessories (the "outside" slot was actually inside), one might consider that whatever affects the inside slot has to get through the outside slot/layer. 

There is nothing wrong, for instance, with equipping the moose hide satchel in the "outer" slot of accessories, but then as things get wet or when incoming damage occurs the satchel will take the hits.  However, depending on one's druthers, putting the satchel on the inside slot and the wood ear wraps on the outside (yes they are rather fragile) means that the ear wraps get wet first and any incoming damage would strike them first (I think). 

Similarly.  If one had an expedition parka and a windbreaker, a choice can be made as to which should be on the outside slot.  Granted, the expedition parka has better warmth and wind chill protection, greater water resistance, etc. compared to the windbreaker, but putting the windbreaker on the outside means that the windbreaker would have to get completely wet first before the parka would start to get wet (unless you went for a swim in the ocean or lake).  The windbreaker dries faster (it seems) and the windbreaker should tend to take damage first compared to the parka. 

Something to think about when considering how to arrange one's clothing and gear on their person.  

Of course, some things only go into or have a beneficial effect when put in a particular slot (i.e. crampon, I hear is one that requires that). 

4 hours ago, UTC-10 said:

With the fix to accessories (the "outside" slot was actually inside), one might consider that whatever affects the inside slot has to get through the outside slot/layer. 

There is nothing wrong, for instance, with equipping the moose hide satchel in the "outer" slot of accessories, but then as things get wet or when incoming damage occurs the satchel will take the hits.  However, depending on one's druthers, putting the satchel on the inside slot and the wood ear wraps on the outside (yes they are rather fragile) means that the ear wraps get wet first and any incoming damage would strike them first (I think). 

Similarly.  If one had an expedition parka and a windbreaker, a choice can be made as to which should be on the outside slot.  Granted, the expedition parka has better warmth and wind chill protection, greater water resistance, etc. compared to the windbreaker, but putting the windbreaker on the outside means that the windbreaker would have to get completely wet first before the parka would start to get wet (unless you went for a swim in the ocean or lake).  The windbreaker dries faster (it seems) and the windbreaker should tend to take damage first compared to the parka. 

Something to think about when considering how to arrange one's clothing and gear on their person.  

Of course, some things only go into or have a beneficial effect when put in a particular slot (i.e. crampon, I hear is one that requires that). 

Yeah...the crampons only go in one slot. Recommend (IMHO) that they only be worn when on a rope, ice or very steep terrain.  They DO get wet and are a real pain to dry.  The currently don't dry by putting them by a fire.  The only way I could dry mine was to wear them for a few hours on a sunny day.  If it's snowing, they will get wetter.  At least that's how it works for me.

Two Things:

First, if you have been playing TLD for quite a while, you may be surprised when you are attacked by a moose while you are next to a fire.  In the more recent versions of TLD, I believe starting with Fearless Navigator, moose are no longer scared of a fire.

Second, if you don't have a cooking pot, you can still cook a full 1 kg of meat.  Just drop it on the floor or ground near the stove or fire, then pickup the slab of meat with right-click and drag it onto one of the cooking hot spots.

6 minutes ago, Vince 49 said:

İkincisi, tencereniz yoksa yine de 1 kg et pişirebilirsiniz. Sadece sobanın veya ateşin yanına yere veya yere bırakın, ardından sağ tıklayarak et parçasını alın ve sıcak pişirme noktalarından birine sürükleyin.

You don't have to put it down. You can do that from the button to click on the fire and cook it. 

• Upvote 1

On 12/4/2020 at 7:19 AM, flakeinator said:

I pulled out a torch and chased off the wolf that way. When I was done harvesting some of the deer I pulled a torch from the fire and slowly backed away. Worked like a charm.

I’ve done something similar in Bleak Inlet (timber wolf country). If I steal a deer kill from the pack I’ll light 2 or 3 fires (long enough to burn while harvesting ) around the carcass as a shield.  After I’ll grab a torch as I leave the bones for those bastards to pick clean. 

I started doing this cause the timberwolves would pack attack me as soon as I was done harvesting and have been killed as a result. Kill me once, learning mistake; kill me twice, I deserved it for not learning. 

Just a thought.  Not really necessary, but with certain locations being classified as "indoors" as time goes on it might be something to do.

When in a location that might look like it should be "indoors" like the entry area to Cinder Hills mine, it might be worthwhile to put down a campfire.  Can't do that NOW in Cinder Hills mine, that has already changed, but as time marches on and places change, something to keep in mind. 

I recently discovered that the niche beyond a waterfall in the Misty Falls Picnic Area cave, has been classed as "indoors" which I found out after I tried to light a fire there.  In the chamber before the waterfall, I had previously had a campfire so I did light that one before venturing through the waterfall into that niche.

If a campfire was already in existence in that location, then relax the burned out campfire can be relit, but it might be that no new campfire can be laid down (so don't dismantle any campfire unless you have to as you may not be able to replace it).  

I have been playing in Ash Canyon (typical for me in Pilgrim) and I noticed something that may be new or maybe not and I just never noticed it before.

The charcoal map, if one harvested some resource (limbs, cattails, reishi, rose hips, birch saplings, etc.) then used another charcoal to map the area again the map would "update" and the harvested resources would disappear (since they have now been taken) from the map. 

The stump of the birch sapling taken would still be there, of course, but now you no longer see it as a resource on the map.  Depending on your druthers, that may be good or not so good. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Bears have shown an ability to "go to sleep" in sometimes unlikely spots (and sometimes unlikely reasons, why? don't know).  Sometimes one may find a bear out somewhere and maybe it was one the character had shot and maybe it bled out.  Maybe you find this:

20210206220224_1.thumb.jpg.2b412348b22a8ded1b553f828c93516e.jpg

Or this:

20210206194905_1.thumb.jpg.f1cf3da9de4c7ef2c53ce4550cb2a2c0.jpg

Only to find out it was still alive, only sleeping.

Or you find this. 

20210214094745_1.thumb.jpg.b0826e95c0ed176454cb4a32ffe8b774.jpg

This bear is dead.  It died while sleeping when it bled out. 

Be careful out there.  

• Like 1

On 11/25/2020 at 12:10 PM, Zaknafein said:

Flares and torches are not the same thing :)

This is true and, as far as I can tell, wolves dislike Flares more because the NOISE bothers them MORE THAN THE FIRE. This is why the (louder) Marine Flares work better than normal Flares.

On 12/18/2020 at 7:43 AM, past caring said:

I can't think of a region (Ash Canyon might turn out like this) which has a rope already in place that you don't want to leave where it is.....

There's a "spare" rope in Coastal Highway just north of Silent Clearing. I usually take that one up to the Abandoned Lookout because it's on the way...climb it, take it, keep walking. (I'm usually coming from Desolation Point...I love that place. 😁 )

You can place items closer. When you first place item next to another item, there is a big gap between them, but if you leave it and right click again to move it again, you can now place them a little closer. It's like the invisible hitbox of the item shrinks after you put down an item and lift it again.

This helps place things a little closer to one another.

• Upvote 1

You may rot and ruin a decent amount of guts, furs and skins in caves, simply by leaving them too close to the entrance.
ALWAYS check that curing process starts when dropping them to cave floor.
(Who told you that I've just lost a bear skin?)🤣😂🤣

Edited by Niskavuori
Smileys
  • Upvote 2

If hunting in wolf and bear infested areas and near cabins without fireplaces and railings around the perimeter (for example coastal hwy) I’ll make a fire at the entrance of the railing and croutch between the fire and front door to cook. The fire and railings keep you from getting attacked, keeps you warm, and allows you to store and cook lots of raw meat (I’ll cook an entire bear or moose) outside where fires last longer. 

This also works with 2 or 3 fires if you’re backed up against some big boulders or cliffs. 

1 hour ago, Stinky socks said:

Railing didn't protect me from bear mauling. He jumped right over it.

I think they must have changed the pathing AI in a recent update because I just had a wolf walk right into the Carter Dam yard through the gate I'd left open (since I'd read here that you could do that and nothing would come through). He fled once he reached the steps, even though he was agro'ed by my aiming my bow at him, so can't-climb-steps is apparently still a thing...

• Upvote 1

The position of the player determines if the magnifying glass can be used to light a fire.  I have a fire inside the open part of the maintenance shed in BR.  It's under the window next to the open door.  On a sunny day, I reach through the window from outside and use the mag lense to light my fires while the fire inside is completely protected.  Also do this inside of caves in the "outside" part of the cave, just next to where the temp changes. 

• Upvote 2