The "Did you know?" thread

SirSharper

15 minutes ago, ManicManiac said:

A critical hit can  bring down a bear with just one well aimed shot... and that's also true for the hunting rifle.

I know. My point beeing I never had to land 5 arrows to bring down a bear.

• Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, DrZ said:

I know. My point beeing I never had to land 5 arrows to bring down a bear.

My mistake, I misunderstood when you said:

On 10/17/2020 at 10:18 PM, DrZ said:

I never read it and I have a limited sample size

So it sounded like you weren't aware... I wasn't trying to be critical, I was just offering the information.  :)

:coffee::fire::coffee:

Edited by ManicManiac

Did you know that you can use the escape key to cancel harvesting meat?

This is useful for a few reasons.

First, this can be used to harvest two approximately equal sized pieces of meat from a rabbit. If your rabbit has something like 1.3kg of meat, you'd normally end up with a 1kg and a 0.3kg piece. Instead, if you harvest the full amount but press escape when the circle is halfway complete, then harvest again fully, you'll end up with two pieces of meat, each one 0.65kg or so depending on how accurate you were with cancelling. This means both pieces will take the same amount of time to cook. Since the time taken to harvest the meat is identical either way, this is a useful habit to use so you avoid wasting time waiting for your campfire to finish one half.

Second, your cooking skill increases based on the number of cooked items you harvest from a fire. It doesn't matter if they're 1kg or 0.05kg, you get the same experience towards Cooking 5. You can exploit this to rapidly increase your cooking skill by harvesting small pieces of meat from carcasses and quickly cooking them in a few minutes. Whether this is an exploit or working as intended is up to your judgement, since as of yet Hinterland still calculates this skill based on items cooked, not time spent cooking.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

On 10/17/2020 at 12:48 PM, DrZ said:

I never read it and I have a limited sample size but all bears I hunted dropped after 4 arrows. No matter where I hit them.

Related:
Did you know that if a bear you've shot is "stuck" and just keeps trying to run into a solid wall, you can fire 15 rifle rounds into him and it won't kill him?

Now I gotta go to Bleak Inlet.

• Upvote 1

On 10/22/2020 at 1:34 AM, Jimmy said:

Did you know that you can use the escape key to cancel harvesting meat?

Work's great especially with those rabbits and ravaged deer carcasses!  I tried it after reading your post and now I'm just working on timing to get equal halfs, but shortly after I was able to divvy up 1.5 kilo's of venison into two .7 kilo portions.  Magnificent!

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/14/2020 at 9:09 AM, Zaknafein said:

Did you know that a wolf will not attack you as long as you hold a flare?

It will just stand there and show teeth. Once the flare goes out, the wolf will charge (campfires work the same way).

Is this correct? I was recently attacked by a moose and survived. I started to walk away and came across a wolf. I pulled out a torch and that didn't stop it (guess it could've been a Timberwolf) but I got attacked anyway and yet survived that too.

1 minute ago, flakeinator said:

Is this correct? I was recently attacked by a moose and survived. I started to walk away and came across a wolf. I pulled out a torch and that didn't stop it (guess it could've been a Timberwolf) but I got attacked anyway and yet survived that too.

It's not always true, depends on the difficulty settings. And also I've noticed that torches are less efficient than flares.

On 10/4/2020 at 6:18 AM, Catlover said:

Did you know that wolves are never too pleased when you try steal their deer carcass from them. 😛

I can confirm this one. I chased off a wolf with a torch, stole some of its recent deer kill, and walked away with a lit torch as it growled at me. It thankfully never chased me since I only took a little bit of the carcass.

2 hours ago, flakeinator said:

Flares and torches are not the same thing :)